Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

wdarkk posted:

Blizzard support claims you should update your drivers from NVIDIA, but they might be for more recent stuff.

Here.
That's the post I got the link from, yeah. It just made me think about how I used to update my PC GeForce drivers on a monthly basis even though my graphics card was about 7 years old at that point. I guess it's not quite the same for Macs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.

Stare-Out posted:

That's the post I got the link from, yeah. It just made me think about how I used to update my PC GeForce drivers on a monthly basis even though my graphics card was about 7 years old at that point. I guess it's not quite the same for Macs.

I believe Apple folds driver updates into the regular OS X updates they release throughout the year. I may be wrong.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

binarysmurf posted:

I believe Apple folds driver updates into the regular OS X updates they release throughout the year. I may be wrong.

Though it likely wouldn't help for that ancient Mac, nVidia's web driver is far more recent than what Apple bundles in the OS X updates. It actually has me hesitant to get a new MBP with the AMD card, simply because I'm really enjoying nVidia's driver support these days.

And as for the ancient MBP, the C2D was truly the greatest generation of processors. I still have a Dell Latitude D630 from 2007 or so, that after I put a 32GB SSD in it, is a champ of a linux box.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

binarysmurf posted:

That would be nice but the word is that they're not exactly on point with the updates and it's been up to NVIDIA for a good while to pick up the slack.

Luceo posted:

And as for the ancient MBP, the C2D was truly the greatest generation of processors. I still have a Dell Latitude D630 from 2007 or so, that after I put a 32GB SSD in it, is a champ of a linux box.
Five years on and I'm still really impressed with my '07 MBP; whereas my PC from around the same time is having serious issues just doing basic stuff, with El Capitan my Mac got a totally new lease on life. Around Mavericks this thing started showing its age something fierce and things like mission control and dashboard were super laggy, but once I installed El Cap it's like being on Snow Leopard again, the performance increase was ludicrous. I don't know what they did but it was a miracle. It may not be much of a gaming machine (if it ever was) but as for Mac-type stuff and general usage it's doing everything as well and snappy as it did when it came out. It's twice as amazing considering, like I said before, that one of the fans is totally dead and the insides have been on the verge of turning to dust for like three years now. It's the loving AK-47 of computers.

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.

Stare-Out posted:

That would be nice but the word is that they're not exactly on point with the updates and it's been up to NVIDIA for a good while to pick up the slack.

Learn something new every day. I'm now running the latest nVidia web drivers. Thanks.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I moved this weekend. (same ISP...) and also yesterday I updated El Capitan.

One of those two things has made Localhost:9090 (SONARR) just not respond. I have no idea what the heck to do here... other localhost services work. (like SABNZBD).

Anyone know what may have changed and/or what to fix?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

A quick Google reveals that Sonarr relies on Mono and old versions of Mono might not play well with El Cap. There was an El Cap hotfix, 4.0.4.4. What does mono --version tell you?

Regardless, update Mono however you initially installed it, then attempt to restart Sonarr.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
Tried the NVidia web drivers on my rMBP 15" late 2013 (OS X 10.11.3) and they lived up to the beta label. :( I kept getting fullscreen flashes while the NVidia GPU was active. From the system log it looks like it was switching to the Intel GPU and back again, for no reason.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
If anyone is still clinging to Mailbox, check out https://polymail.io - it looks very similar and most importantly (for me, at least) you can long-swipe to delete instead of only being able to archive.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Pivo posted:

A quick Google reveals that Sonarr relies on Mono and old versions of Mono might not play well with El Cap. There was an El Cap hotfix, 4.0.4.4. What does mono --version tell you?

Regardless, update Mono however you initially installed it, then attempt to restart Sonarr.

Oh poo poo. I forgot about Mono. Thanks! I will try that.

[edit] Ok I reinstalled Mono and rebooted, but to no avail. Totally confused here. SONARR literally just seems to be a "Download it and install it" type of deal, it would seem?

Feenix fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Jan 21, 2016

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Eight Is Legend posted:

If anyone is still clinging to Mailbox, check out https://polymail.io - it looks very similar and most importantly (for me, at least) you can long-swipe to delete instead of only being able to archive.

There's so many cool mail clients out there. Like Spark (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/spark-like-your-email-again/id997102246?mt=8) and Inbox (https://www.google.com/inbox/).

But the crucial feature for me is that it has to be cross platform. I want to be able to snooze on my phone, iPad, Macbook or my PC, and have those snoozes carry over to other devices. So far, only Inbox works on all devices (though Spark say they're working on it). Polymail looks really great: tracking who's read my e-mail, being able to schedule when an e-mail is sent are two great features that I would love to have. But if it's just on my Mac it's useless to me.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I have unsubscribed or filtered with rules basically every kind of email. Moving to a new app would be a nightmare.

The real problem is email itself and its rampant abuse. Like when shopping on a website after a few months of not using it and having it automatically with zero consent re-add you to the newsletter mailing list. Or email chains and groups in the office.

I realise its never going away, but I can try to make it less annoying.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Feenix posted:

Oh poo poo. I forgot about Mono. Thanks! I will try that.

[edit] Ok I reinstalled Mono and rebooted, but to no avail. Totally confused here. SONARR literally just seems to be a "Download it and install it" type of deal, it would seem?

Dunno, I've never used it personally. All I saw is that it required Mono and Mono required an El Cap hotfix. You said you rebooted, but you haven't tried to launch it directly? Have you tried to launch the server directly and examine any log files it creates or any output it dumps to the console? Maybe it's just not launching on boot anymore.

You call it a 'localhost service', but it's really just a web server running on your machine. You access it through a browser, sure, but it's not much different than any other application other than you access the interface through a browser. How would you troubleshoot any application not starting? First you would try to start it, then you would look at any output it provides.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
It is fixed. Thanks Pivo. Had to do your mono thing AND unhide files and delete a logs.db

:/

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Feenix posted:

It is fixed. Thanks Pivo. Had to do your mono thing AND unhide files and delete a logs.db

:/
Piracy is hard :saddowns:

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

bvoid posted:

Is there a free program out there that will simply disable the "momentum scrolling" when using an external mouse? Basically the scroll wheel starts off slow and gets drastically faster when scrolling for a second. It's really annoying with a physical mouse wheel.

I've seen some programs that fix it, but they cost a good amount of money with extra features that I don't need.

Just following up in case anyone else has this issue:

So apparently the only limitation with an unregistered copy of USB Overdrive is a 10-second nag screen when changing settings, so I installed that and it does exactly what I wanted to in the post above.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

LPG Giant posted:

There's so many cool mail clients out there. Like Spark (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/spark-like-your-email-again/id997102246?mt=8) and Inbox (https://www.google.com/inbox/).

But the crucial feature for me is that it has to be cross platform. I want to be able to snooze on my phone, iPad, Macbook or my PC, and have those snoozes carry over to other devices. So far, only Inbox works on all devices (though Spark say they're working on it). Polymail looks really great: tracking who's read my e-mail, being able to schedule when an e-mail is sent are two great features that I would love to have. But if it's just on my Mac it's useless to me.

Exactly the same for me. Polymail looks nifty but the lack of any cross-platform stuff is keeping me away from them. Readdle seems like they're going to have a Mac version of Spark soon (they already started sending out iPad beta invites), plus I trust them more than Polymail because of their history of making solid apps, so it's probably Spark that I'll end up sticking with for the near future.

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.

Roadie posted:

so it's probably Spark that I'll end up sticking with for the near future.

Spark seems to find it's way back on to my iPhone despite trying other clients. It's also a bit like Mailbox on steriods. Looking forward to the Mac app. :)

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

All versions of 1Password are 50% off right now (OS X, Windows, OS X/Windows bundle.) The discount also reflects on the App Store as well if you'd prefer buying it there, instead of a license directly from the developer. I'm currently content using my offline-only ripoff freebie password manager, but feel free to sell me on 1Password if you want! I just don't know if the Touch ID functionality is really worth the price, and so far I can deal without cloud syncing.

Edit: huh, I had no idea my offline-only ripoff freebie password manager is actually a cloud-sync-supported ripoff freemium password manager with Touch ID. I use Enpass, which is free on OS X and free on iOS unless you need to store more than 20 passwords (then it's $9.99 for a lifetime license.) It supports Touch ID unlocking, cloud syncing with a grip of various services (including iCloud if you install the App Store version, but lacks this if you install from their website.) The website version also supports browser extensions, but it seems kinda hokey, and requires Enpass to be open and unlocked to use it, so whatever to that. Looks like it's pretty universally-supported, too, if you use Windows/Linux/etc.

enojy fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Jan 22, 2016

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

binarysmurf posted:

Spark seems to find it's way back on to my iPhone despite trying other clients. It's also a bit like Mailbox on steriods. Looking forward to the Mac app. :)

Does Spark have the option of only sending push notifications when you receive "important" mails like Outlook?

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011
Is there something odd going on with how OSX calculates disk space?

I use a program (Disk Inventory X, http://www.derlien.com) to visualise the space used on my mac. It states that I've used 105gb. When I (roughly) tally up the different folders I get to 82 GB - a 23 Gb difference. Strange. It also says I have 80 Gb free.

Stranger still, when I look at how much OS X claims I've used (using get info) it also says I've used 105 Gb. But it claims that I have 95 Gb available, which makes sense (the main disk is a 200 Gb partition).

So what gives? How much space do I actually have available, and what is using this extra 23 Gb that I cannot find?

Macbook Pro Retina, 13 inch 256 GB, OS X El Capitan.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

LPG Giant posted:

I use a program (Disk Inventory X, http://www.derlien.com) to visualise the space used on my mac. It states that I've used 105gb. When I (roughly) tally up the different folders I get to 82 GB - a 23 Gb difference. Strange. It also says I have 80 Gb free.

Stranger still, when I look at how much OS X claims I've used (using get info) it also says I've used 105 Gb. But it claims that I have 95 Gb available, which makes sense (the main disk is a 200 Gb partition).

So what gives? How much space do I actually have available, and what is using this extra 23 Gb that I cannot find?

Both approaches may be taking into account hidden Library/system files, dunno if you're considering those. As for the discrepancy in what Disk Inventory X and built-in Storage says you have available, they may differ in how they account for disk space temporarily used by paging. This really starts to add up the longer you go without rebooting (I believe it's considered "Other" in Storage,) but OS X applies a threshold policy that'll automatically start deallocating the space used by paging if you start running low on drive space. Try checking both immediately after rebooting to see if they match up more closely -- it's more than likely just paging.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

LPG Giant posted:

Your Mac could just be reporting the wrong amount of used/free space. This happened to me and I fixed it by rebuilding the Spotlight index: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201716

smax
Nov 9, 2009

LPG Giant posted:

A while back, OSX started using GB rather than GiB for storage units. Other programs may still use GiB, which could explain the discrepancies in free/used space and total partition size.

Edit: Reading your post again it actually doesn't look like that's what's going on here.

smax fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jan 22, 2016

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

LPG Giant posted:

More inconcistencies!

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
Friend of mine has a question, and this seemed like the best resource to get an answer:

quote:

I have a folder, A, on my computer. I want the contents of that folder to always be mirrored to a folder, B, on an external hard drive. If I make changes to A, I want them to propagate to B, and vice versa. I need to be able to occasionally disconnect the external hard drive, folder B, and hand that drive off to someone and, when it's returned and re-connected, ensure that that person's updates propagate to my folder A. Best software for this?

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

What a frightening beast!

LPG Giant posted:

Time Machine's "Local snapshots" are fudged out in Finder's usage displays, but things like Disk Inventory X will count them.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

EnsGDT posted:

Friend of mine has a question, and this seemed like the best resource to get an answer:

I was looking up some software for that exact use case a few weeks ago and unison seems to be the best one for it. I ended up not needing it so I haven't actually tried using it, though.

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

EnsGDT posted:

GoodSync?

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
Thank you!

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

As much as I love Chrome, its battery usage is killing me; I see 1-2 hours less life on my '13 MBA. Has anyone got an extension they like for putting favicons in Safari tabs? Any other highly recommended extensions?

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Dangerllama posted:

As much as I love Chrome, its battery usage is killing me; I see 1-2 hours less life on my '13 MBA. Has anyone got an extension they like for putting favicons in Safari tabs? Any other highly recommended extensions?

The one thing I need is CMD+number tab switching: https://github.com/rs/SafariTabSwitching. Sounds like this may be built into Safari now on El Capitan, but at least on Mavericks this extension is still required.

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.

Eight Is Legend posted:

Does Spark have the option of only sending push notifications when you receive "important" mails like Outlook?

No.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Splinter posted:

The one thing I need is CMD+number tab switching: https://github.com/rs/SafariTabSwitching. Sounds like this may be built into Safari now on El Capitan, but at least on Mavericks this extension is still required.

It's in Safari now, but maybe just Safari 9.0? Dunno if it's new to El Capitan or 9.0.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

It's new to 9.0, as far as I can tell.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Is there any way to make the embedded webms in SA posts go to their fallback or whatever when I'm using Safari? I don't really want to reinstall Perian at this date.

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

wdarkk posted:

Is there any way to make the embedded webms in SA posts go to their fallback or whatever when I'm using Safari? I don't really want to reinstall Perian at this date.

I have Perian installed and they're not working anyway. Have I missed a step? I started up Chrome for the PYF GIF thread and my laptop nearly melted :(

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

LPG Giant posted:

More inconcistencies!

I recently ran daisy disk on my computer and found there was 200GB of space that was unaccounted for and counted as in use. I had to run disk first aid in recovery to clear that up.

gently caress you HFS+.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

enojy posted:

It's in Safari now, but maybe just Safari 9.0? Dunno if it's new to El Capitan or 9.0.

DigitalRaven posted:

It's new to 9.0, as far as I can tell.

I'm on 9.0.3 on Mavericks and the this command+# preference still doesn't show up. Maybe it was only added on Yosemite and ElCap? I thought I gave it a try on 9 w/o the 3rd party solution and it still wasn't working, but maybe I'm misremembering.

e: also sounds like like with the Apple implementation, command+9 goes to the 9th tab rather than the last tab unfortunately (I may have a bit of a tab problem).

Splinter fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jan 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

I have a bunch of pictures I want to put together as frames in a gif. What's a good and free way to do that with OS X?