Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

No. You might find it easier to do in second gear, though. The engine doesn't need to be turning quickly in order to start, and being in second when the engine catches makes the bike more stable.

Ah okay thanks. I can see it definitely being easier in second, because sometimes first gear just locks up and slides. Not so much on the V, but on any dirtbike I've tried it with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I jump started my riding mower with my elite 250 the other day.

Killed all living matter within a 50 foot radius

For real though, if you want to talk poo poo charging systems, hit up Briggs and Stratton

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
A mechanic at a Harley-Davidson place once told me that he didn't have any batteries for my Honda, because "you could put one on there, but these batteries are too powerful! They'd spin your engine like there were no spark plugs in it."

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Sagebrush posted:

A mechanic at a Harley-Davidson place once told me that he didn't have any batteries for my Honda, because "you could put one on there, but these batteries are too powerful! They'd spin your engine like there were no spark plugs in it."

That's kinda unfair. Your question wasn't nearly related to chrome polish or leather care.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Sagebrush posted:

"That's what I'm hoping for--drat thing's seized up tight!"

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

cool, so it'll start my bus and vibrator collection. Most excellent. I need a good crankin' battery in my life.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

But will it power my custom chrome exhaust???

cursedshitbox posted:

cool, so it'll start my bus and vibrator collection. Most excellent. I need a good crankin' battery in my life.

Love runs on batteries :bigtran:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
If I recall from bike school, Sportsters pull 120 amps when running the starter.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
Hey so my VTR250 has been sitting for ages, and it runs, but not without choke. This was not a problem before the bike sat. This means the little idle fuel channel is clogged with varnish, right? How much of a bitch is that to fix?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

But it's voltage, not amperage that determines how fast the starter will spin

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Yeah. Any 12 volt battery can be used to safely run any 12 volt electrical system. A battery that's too small may have problems sourcing the current needed to spin the starter, but one that's larger than necessary is only bad because it's adding weight. No danger.

I could give the H-D guy the benefit of the doubt and believe that he thought I had a 6 volt electrical system. In that case, he was right that a 12v battery wouldn't be suitable. But I don't think that was his reasoning.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

If I recall from bike school, Sportsters pull 120 amps when running the starter.

considering my manager owns one, and it has a GRD starter off something that looks like a powerstroke, yeah I don't doubt it.

Tactical Lesbian posted:

Love runs on batteries :bigtran:
:hf:
and Diesel!

haha even in the olden days you could throw a 12v battery on a 6v car and sorta be okay to crank it. it'd blow the coil/lights/radio, and eventually the starter, but it'd crank fast as gently caress.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Running all the way back to the beginning of jumpstartchat: I ended up bump starting it instead, since my dad showed me how and there's a perfectly sized hill right at the end of my driveway.

Coughed for nearly two minutes while the electrics tried to work out whether to favour the headlight or the sparkplug, finally revved up properly and then immediately had another coughing fit when I stepped on the brake :v:

Basically it just needs a couple hours of high revs and no stopping whatsoever, ie motorway. Probably more than a couple tbh but that'll be enough to get let it not die idling at traffic lights. I could just rev it in my driveway I guess, but gently caress that boring noise.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Renaissance Robot posted:

Running all the way back to the beginning of jumpstartchat: I ended up bump starting it instead, since my dad showed me how and there's a perfectly sized hill right at the end of my driveway.

Coughed for nearly two minutes while the electrics tried to work out whether to favour the headlight or the sparkplug, finally revved up properly and then immediately had another coughing fit when I stepped on the brake :v:

Basically it just needs a couple hours of high revs and no stopping whatsoever, ie motorway. Probably more than a couple tbh but that'll be enough to get let it not die idling at traffic lights. I could just rev it in my driveway I guess, but gently caress that boring noise.

Put it up on a stand and put one of those cruise control things on it. I'm sure nothing can possibly go wrong with this plan.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If you have the means, I highly recommend it

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I wonder if there's ever been a vehicle where you actually could take miles off by driving in reverse.

EkardNT
Mar 31, 2011
Am I missing something, or does my fuel tank not have a shut off valve? And if it doesn't have a shutoff valve, how was I supposed to get it off the tank without leaking gas everywhere?

This is the underside of the tank.

One of the two black lines has this plastic bit in the middle, but otherwise both are connected directly to something in the engine.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Do you have an electric or vacuum actuated petcock?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
That's a fuel injected system and those are quick disconnectors on the fuel lines which should in theory shut off when they're disconnected. If they don't then the only solution is to find something to shove in there to plug it or disconnect the line somewhere else that does allow you to plug the line.

EkardNT
Mar 31, 2011
I had to unplug some wires from the tank before it would come off, so probably electric (read: I have no idea).

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I spy a 1st gen Tuono tank.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Yeah those fuel connectors are typically self-sealing. But have something to block it if we're wrong. :v:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

I wonder if there's ever been a vehicle where you actually could take miles off by driving in reverse.

Most of them until about the mid-seventies (and a lot of them right into the eighties), I believe, although an electric drill connected to the speedo cable was the preferred method.

(e: also using a drill to run them all the way round the clock works on every analogue odo, obviously)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Most of them until about the mid-seventies (and a lot of them right into the eighties), I believe, although an electric drill connected to the speedo cable was the preferred method.

(e: also using a drill to run them all the way round the clock works on every analogue odo, obviously)

Came here to post this. Incidentally, diesel vehicles here pay tax based on miles covered so now all the olden diesels with cable speedos are in massive demand because you can drive all year then wind back the odo to show you've only done a few hundred km's and only pay like fifty bucks tax.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I wonder if shady used-car salesmen have figured out how to change the EEPROM values in a modern digital odometer yet? I really doubt there's any kind of serious security involved.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Sagebrush posted:

I wonder if shady used-car salesmen have figured out how to change the EEPROM values in a modern digital odometer yet? I really doubt there's any kind of serious security involved.

Its big business clocking cars on the second hand market here. although now the annual inspection includes the mileage on the cert, so that at least sets a minimum value that they can reset to. That presupposes that you got a valid inspection cert in the first place though.

http://nmr.ie/car-clocking/

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

There is actually a surprising amount of security involved but yeah, most of them are breakable. The point of most of the security is to just make it preferable to target some other brand's cars. Actually that's applicable to most security, of course.

(I remember a documentary a few years ago about it and they had one of these reformed ex-fraudster types talking about all this stuff, and he mentioned off-hand that VAG had particularly good security - I wonder why they would be so keen to keep people out of the ECU?)

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
My bike had a little issue starting the last couple of days, taking a few revolutions to catch. I figured it was the cold messing with the bike but today I learned that there wasn't enough juice 20 miles from home. Thankfully my brother in law is an ace pusher and helped me bump start. I've been riding the bike to and from work and I was riding the bike the entire saturday, most of them highway miles, so the battery wasn't flat from disuse.

It's either the charging system of my battery. what are the smart steps to take? Jumpstart the bike so I can measure the voltage output at ~3000 rpm and if that's 14~15v I know the battery is shot? That that sound about right?

edit: Also I've learned that bandit 1250's might have a problem with exploding starter motors. Good to know I guess, that gives me much hope for the future.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Sagebrush posted:

I bought a new fairing from a guy that came with his display and when I plugged it in to make sure it worked it popped up the mileage for his bike. So, if you're trying to scam someone you may be able to just buy a new display. As long as you have the same bike I do.

KARMA! posted:

My bike had a little issue starting the last couple of days, taking a few revolutions to catch. I figured it was the cold messing with the bike but today I learned that there wasn't enough juice 20 miles from home. Thankfully my brother in law is an ace pusher and helped me bump start. I've been riding the bike to and from work and I was riding the bike the entire saturday, most of them highway miles, so the battery wasn't flat from disuse.

It's either the charging system of my battery. what are the smart steps to take? Jumpstart the bike so I can measure the voltage output at ~3000 rpm and if that's 14~15v I know the battery is shot? That that sound about right?

edit: Also I've learned that bandit 1250's might have a problem with exploding starter motors. Good to know I guess, that gives me much hope for the future.

Check your R/R too.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

KARMA! posted:

Yes exactly. I buy the cheapest batteries and store them poorly. They fail like you said, a few days of slow starting and eyebrows curving, then the engine stops running.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

builds character posted:

I bought a new fairing from a guy that came with his display and when I plugged it in to make sure it worked it popped up the mileage for his bike. So, if you're trying to scam someone you may be able to just buy a new display. As long as you have the same bike I do.

Well, yeah, but that's equivalent to buying the gauge cluster out of a junkyard car. You need a bike somewhere that has the lower mileage you want, and that doesn't need its display.

Much more flexible if you can just plug into a JTAG header and massage the numbers a bit.

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
So, since yesterday the tachometer on my cbr300r has been acting up. It goes up/down fine in relation to RPMs, but basically refuses to go under a certain limit even when the engine is idle or off. What this limit is keeps changing - this morning it refused to go under 6k, then under 9k after a bit of riding, now the bike is parked outside with the indicator at 2k.

Is there a DIY fix to this or is it a dealer job? Shifting by habit and sound still works fine, of course, and there's no other issues as far as I can tell.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I'd check all the connections and battery terminals.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
That's a weird one really because the only thing I can think of that could cause that would be something like a dodgy return spring on one of the really old systems that used the spark plug circuit to drive a thing the name of which I'm completely blanking on but it's like an electric motor that doesn't actually move.

More modern stepper-motor ones are normally pretty much absolutely fine or completely broken.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I actually saw a CR's ninja 300 doing the same thing at my first track day. Wouldn't go below 10k. Dunno how it was fixed, though.

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?
Pulled apart the front end of my 2011 Ninja 250 in an attempt to remedy my speedometer working intermittently. Got everything apart, documented it with photos, took the gauge cluster out and I think I got a bit of stickiness off that may have been affecting the speedo needle. Since I had the front end opened up, I decided to get replacement LED bulbs for my gauge cluster. Put them in, some worked (speedo and gas tank light, turn signal) but the others didn't light up. Figured it was since I didn't have all the wiring re connected. Really the only wiring I even touched was the headlight wiring and then disconnecting and reconnecting the gauge cluster.

Got everything back together, and uhh, here's what still works. With the ignition on, the cluster backlights come on. Turn signals work in the front, back, and the indicator works on the cluster. Brake light works. The horn works. HOWEVER, I cannot get the bike to start. Putting the kill switch into ON and pressing the starter button does nothing, either with the kickstand up or down. I cannot get the neutral light to engage on the cluster. Headlight will not turn on.

Not really sure what exactly I did wrong here, I didn't mess with any of the electronics going to the starter or ignition. The bike does have an aftermarket Bike Master Xenon HIDzzzz headlight with some additional ballasts that the PO installed. Any ideas on what I can try to do and troubleshoot this? Am I safe to assume that it's probably not the battery given that some of the electronics work?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

In neutral does it work?

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?
No.

e: At least, from what I can tell, no. Since the neutral indicator light isn't coming on I guess I can't say with 100% certainty that I'm in neutral, but it sure feels like it.

Laminator fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jan 24, 2016

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

If the neutral light isn't on, it's likely that the circuit handling the neutral-switch starter cutoff is also not working correctly. Can you start the bike in gear if you hold in the clutch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
You did check your fuses? Idiot question but, you know.