Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

pik_d posted:

Its in the OP, literally the second line. Seems inactive though.

Yeah I've kinda dropped off playing this for various reasons so haven't made a new season. Floor is open for other people who want to make a season though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Let me know if a season organizer needs to be promoted or whatever. Last I remember leagues are broken though, likely won't get a fix until console release.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I tried booting this up for the first time since I moved. Had a weird bug where my controller was working but none of the right side face buttons or triggers would work in game. All the other buttons worked though. Seems fine in Windows though. Any struck this?

I had to default on the Daily as I couldn't start it which was annoying.

EDIT: I'm dumb. When I pulled the dongle it reset all my binds.

Red_Fred fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jan 20, 2016

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

So the guy that has been making custom FFB for dirt (think it was called nerv? now impact) has drawn some interesting conclusionshttp://www.racedepartment.com/threads/logitech-profiler-damper-effect-strength.116259/

quote:

Spring and Damper effects on the wheel are "programmable" effects. In other words, they are controlled by the game you are running, and not predefined by the Logitech Driver. If the game does not use these features, it does not matter if they are at 150% or 0%. They are not used.
Dirt Rally most certainly does use these functions, so if you have them disabled, you might want to try them turned back on again!

quote:

So lets finally put this to bed. I have downloaded the Logitech Wheel Software Development Kit and looked through the reference material, as well as had a play with the demo code.

There are 3 primary functions on a Logitech wheel :

Constant Force (uses the two motors)
Spring Force (uses the position-able spring)
Damper Force (uses the two motors)

These are dynamic effects that should be linked to a pyhsics vector. in other words they are not "canned" effects but simply additional FFB effects for a game to use. Only the below effects are marked as not needed should you have Constant Force linked to a physics vector. Constant Force does not create the effects, Spring and Damper force does when it is linked to a physics vector. They are to be used in tandem

The canned effects are :
FrontCollision Force
SideCollision Force
DirtRoadEffect Force
BumpyRoadEffect Force
SlipperyRoadEffect Force
PlaySurfaceEffect Force
CarAirborne Force

All of these actual canned effects are controlled by "Over-All Strength" and not related to Spring and Damper in any way.

and on tyre friction improvements

quote:

As you can see my settings are starkly different to Codemasters! Velocity Factor is a big one. This setting controls how rapidly the effect fades with speed. With their setup it disappears completely at about 10kph, where with my setup it tapers from about 2kph-20kph, and is still subtly noticable at 20-60kph. Because its slowly tapers off over such a wide range of speed, it creates alot more variation in Tyre Friction feedback when your turning and sliding, as speed plays a bigger factor compared to default. This in turn increases the "feel" of losing grip during turns and slides

Qmass fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jan 20, 2016

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
The current weekly with the Stratos was a bad choice. As if that car needed as excuse to spin we now have snow banks. Also sometimes I get completely stuck on the bank and have to recover, annoying.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
God bless the Stratos.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
I have a newfound love and respect for this game after pulling my handbrake through populated stoplight left hand turns today in the grand east coast blizzard.

edit: Also slipping your car around then hitting salted patches and using the sudden yet predictable traction to swing your tail around the other way is good fun I will probably need new tires after all the flatspots I've created. Feels weird drifting for such long distances while only going around 20mph

Thief fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jan 23, 2016

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

Thief posted:

I have a newfound love and respect for this game after pulling my handbrake through populated stoplight left hand turns today in the grand east coast blizzard.

edit: Also slipping your car around then hitting salted patches and using the sudden yet predictable traction to swing your tail around the other way is good fun I will probably need new tires after all the flatspots I've created. Feels weird drifting for such long distances while only going around 20mph

Welcome to winter driving. It's where RWD and good tires shine.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
i'd love to do some poo poo in snow or on dirt, but i think i would be too worried about everything if it wasn't a controlled environment with proper safety measures in place. I'd live to rally, but not with an unmodified street car.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Triple A posted:

Welcome to winter driving. It's where RWD and good tires shine.

*FWD/AWD.

RWD is the worst in the snow, although maybe more fun than the others.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

hopterque posted:

*FWD/AWD.

RWD is the worst in the snow, although maybe more fun than the others.

It doesn't matter which wheels the power goes to as long as you have good winter tires. Also, smiles per gallon is what really matters in a car.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

Triple A posted:

It doesn't matter which wheels the power goes to as long as you have good winter tires. Also, smiles per gallon is what really matters in a car.

smiles per gallon vs oh gently caress my ancient car that was my only mode of transportation just died cuz i was trying to have fun

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
I love driving my IRL Subaru this time of year, I just hate shoveling snow and scraping ice.

MeatloafCat
Apr 10, 2007
I can't think of anything to put here.
EDIT: WARNING: I think this might sometimes reset your control preferences, at least that seems to be what just happened to me.

I think this might have been posted before, but i only just found out about it so I thought I'd share. There's a really easy way to use any car on any track. This youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7aKz1J37Bo has the instructions in the description. I've had a lot of fun taking a 037 up Pike's Peak and using the S1 quattro on Col de Turini (codriver doesn't work for that one sadly).

Here's what I did to get rally cars on Pike's Peak:
  • Go to C:\Steam\SteamApps\common\DiRT Rally\tracks\locations.
  • Open up the usa folder and copy the pikes_peak folder.
  • I decided I'd replace Monaco, so next open the france folder.
  • Paste pikes_peaks into that then rename col_de_turini_rally_01 to something like col_de_turini_rally_01_bak.
  • Rename pikes_peak to col_de_turini_rally_01
  • Now open the game and start a custom rally event in Monaco and pick Pra d'Alart.

To get everything back to normal just delete the col_de_turini_rally_01 folder and rename col_de_turini_rally_01_bak to col_de_turini_rally_01.

MeatloafCat fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jan 31, 2016

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

pro tip: do not play grid 2 because it will loving murder, pillage, rape and destroy any feel you had for dirt. GOD drat YOU AND YOUR WSR, CALLAGHAN!

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Pro tip: Do play Grid 2 because it owns bones.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The console version is going to have new content when it comes out, and that'll be added to the PC version on release too. That tease from Paul Coleman was about Colin McRae stuff, a bunch of McRae liveries are going to be added. Also the full gravel version of Pikes Peak, classic Minis and Super 1600 cars being added as entry tiers for rallycross, the Peugeot 208 hillclimb car that I believe currently holds the Pikes Peak record, Alpine A110 and Renault 5 Turbo and a set of tutorial videos for new players.

That's probably going to be it in terms of content for Dirt Rally though, Coleman's said he'd rather work on improving the engine for Dirt 4/Dirt Rally 2.

hillo
Dec 19, 2012

by zen death robot
I pirated grid 2 and played it for 10 minutes, which is when I got the NFS handling cancer and I had to quit because I was afraid of dying. I got it removed from my system fast enough to not have it spread.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

njsykora posted:

The console version is going to have new content when it comes out, and that'll be added to the PC version on release too. That tease from Paul Coleman was about Colin McRae stuff, a bunch of McRae liveries are going to be added. Also the full gravel version of Pikes Peak, classic Minis and Super 1600 cars being added as entry tiers for rallycross, the Peugeot 208 hillclimb car that I believe currently holds the Pikes Peak record, Alpine A110 and Renault 5 Turbo and a set of tutorial videos for new players.
Trailer for said content:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4cPw1mzHXw

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Can I get some friend requests from fast goons? I need more times to compete against :getin:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/_sneakyness/

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

They should just rename Hillclimb to Pikes Peak mode.

Hyped to finally get the Renaults.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

njsykora posted:

That's probably going to be it in terms of content for Dirt Rally though, Coleman's said he'd rather work on improving the engine for Dirt 4/Dirt Rally 2.

I find this a little disappointing. Hillclimb is really boring.

I LIKE TO SMOKE WEE posted:

Can I get some friend requests from fast goons? I need more times to compete against :getin:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/_sneakyness/

Added you!

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

another confirmation on the no DLC front, very disappointing: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-02-02-whats-different-about-dirt-rally-on-console-thankfully-not-much

I was just thinking, I would play this game for a long time with frequent track releases. I guess that is a negative to CM if they plan to start making dirt 4.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Dang, was hoping we'd see the retun of the Safari Rally.

Still one of the biggest issues with the current engine is stage length limitations, so I'm all for a Dirt Rally 2 in a new/updated engine.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

Do we know the actual maximum length of a track? Full pikes peak is what, 22.500m? I think the longest Finland stages are around 14.500m.

I really, really just want to beat on one of those bone stock Porsche Cayennes they have parked on the side of most tracks :3:

Hopefully Codemasters doesn't sweat themselves too much over whatever frills they think this DiRT was missing that a "DiRT 4" would need. I would happily pay full price for another helping of tracks and cars in the same drat engine. I almost feel guilty that I got this for like $22.50 or whatever when they first started the early access.

Okay, I take that back… I'd like to have a track editor or some sort of procedural endless driving mode. That's it don't change nothin else

Haven't been able to play, waiting for all my poo poo to get moved to my new place (on the other side of the country). It gets here tomorrow morning, I'm not even unpacking anything else I just want to DiRT

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I LIKE TO SMOKE WEE posted:

Do we know the actual maximum length of a track? Full pikes peak is what, 22.500m? I think the longest Finland stages are around 14.500m.

It's not necessarily about track length but rather the area the track takes up. Pikes Peak winds its way up the mountain so they were just able to just fit it in. Most rally tracks aren't so compact and instead sprawl out as a realistic route. They could do some tricks to make a stage seem more sprawled out when it's actually folded up nice and compact, but it would be tricky to get right and would take a long time to develop large stages like this. It would be much better to just do it right and optimize the engine so they can just fit larger areas in and start constructing longer realistic stages from references instead.

I was thinking lately and realized that I would be perfectly happy with a Dirt 4 instead of a Dirt Rally 2. Dirt Rally is amazing and came at a good time for me, but I found that lately I've been tiring of games that require a lot of dedication to get the most out of, since I no longer have a lot of time to sink into these games. I've been wrestling with the same issue in regards to FPS games as I was always used to tactical shooters or fast paced arena shooters, but can no longer muster the effort to git gud at them anymore. I think returning to a more casual rally racing game would be nice for me. I also suspect that because of the success of Dirt Rally, that the rally portion of Dirt 4 will try to copy the Dirt Rally formula as much as it can, essentially letting people play Dirt 4 as a Dirt Rally 2 if they wanted, just with more fluff around the edges for the more casual players. Tuning your "realism" settings has always been a thing in Dirt games but I think Dirt Rally has defined a new baseline for "realistic" rally that they will carry forward.

vvv I see people still have PTSD from Dirt 2. I don't think you quite grasp what I'm hoping for, or even understand the recent history of the Dirt series.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Feb 7, 2016

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Jehde posted:

I also suspect that because of the success of Dirt Rally, that the rally portion of Dirt 4 will try to copy the Dirt Rally formula as much as it can, essentially letting people play Dirt 4 as a Dirt Rally 2 if they wanted, just with more fluff around the edges for the more casual players.
:stonk:

Uh, no thanks. I like Dirt Rally because it has nothing to do with regular Dirt aside from the name, and I hope they're kept as far from each other as possible. Sure, they can try to cater to both the sim audience and the more casual arcade-style racing crowd, but that is usually a really bad idea and ends up pleasing nobody. Just keep Dirt 4 as the more accessible general off-road/X-Games/Ken Block/YEAH BRO SICK JUMPS game and keep Dirt Rally as a separate product for those who just want a hardcore rally sim and don't care about any of that other crap (I don't even care about rallycross, so that can be crammed into regular Dirt). Maybe change the name to distance it from the regular Dirt games.

Jehde posted:

vvv I see people still have PTSD from Dirt 2. I don't think you quite grasp what I'm hoping for, or even understand the recent history of the Dirt series.
I assumed you were hoping for Dirt Rally 2 inside Dirt 4. I'm hoping for Dirt Rally 2 outside Dirt 4, because even if they copy Dirt Rally wholesale and let you configure all the realism settings for the rally portion to be as punishing as possible, it'll still just be a portion of a Dirt game. I'd rather have another game focusing on the rallying because I don't care about any of that other stuff. Just a personal preference thing.

And yes, I'll admit I'm not overly familiar with the Dirt series' recent history, aside from the fact Dirt Rally reuses a bunch of cars and assets from Dirt 3 (is that even a fact or did I somehow make it up?). I realized after Dirt 2 that the series wasn't for me and Dirt 3 didn't seem like it would change that, so I didn't really pay attention until Dirt Rally showed up.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Feb 7, 2016

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

What I was getting at was that hopefully you could play the rally portions the same that you would Dirt Rally, and it would be no different to what Dirt Rally 2 would be. Or people that would like to play the game more casually could turn on rewinds, assists, turn down AI, whatever, and maybe have another mode to play with (Personally I'd like to see the return of Dakar trucks). I understand just wanting a hardcore focused experience and nothing else, but Dirt Rally already exists. I honestly consider it complete and I'll be happy to play it for years to come. All that's really needed is longer/more tracks, we already got basically all the cars and features we wanted.

One important entry to the series you may not be aware of is Dirt Showdown. It was released right after Dirt 3 and was just all the X games, Gymkhana and other dumb poo poo as its own spinoff game. It bombed pretty hard. Dirt Rally was the other half of the experimental spinoffs and was hugely successful.

Yeah Dirt Rally is literally the Dirt 3 engine and most the cars are reused models. No one cares and no one should.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I'd be interested in an alternate year thing like Forza does with Horizon and Motorsport. The main Dirt series and Dirt Rally coming every other year. Whether Codemasters have the man power and resources to do that kind of thing though is another matter, though I'd think a lot of licencing, physics and modelling work could be done for Dirt 4 then implemented in Dirt Rally.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Jehde posted:

What I was getting at was that hopefully you could play the rally portions the same that you would Dirt Rally, and it would be no different to what Dirt Rally 2 would be. Or people that would like to play the game more casually could turn on rewinds, assists, turn down AI, whatever, and maybe have another mode to play with (Personally I'd like to see the return of Dakar trucks). I understand just wanting a hardcore focused experience and nothing else, but Dirt Rally already exists. I honestly consider it complete and I'll be happy to play it for years to come. All that's really needed is longer/more tracks, we already got basically all the cars and features we wanted.
Gotcha. Yeah, I can understand that and I agree that Dirt Rally only really needs more rallies and longer stages. But since it appears we're not getting that, I'd rather get Dirt Rally 2 instead of Dirt 4 even if the latter doesn't have any of the X-Games/gymkhana/etc stuff. Now, if Dirt 4 actually had the rallying as its main mode and the other off-road racing disciplines like trucks or buggies or whatever were completely optional like Dirt Rally's rallycross and hillclimb events, I'd be totally down with that.

quote:

One important entry to the series you may not be aware of is Dirt Showdown. It was released right after Dirt 3 and was just all the X games, Gymkhana and other dumb poo poo as its own spinoff game. It bombed pretty hard. Dirt Rally was the other half of the experimental spinoffs and was hugely successful.
I knew Showdown was a thing but didn't know how it did sales-wise. From what I've seen it seems like a fun enough game that isn't even trying to be anything but silly arcade racing and crashing with a bit of gymkhana bullshit on the side, and I have nothing against that when it's not interfering with my rally game. :v: The presentation is still pretty off-putting, though.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Doc Morbid posted:

Now, if Dirt 4 actually had the rallying as its main mode and the other off-road racing disciplines like trucks or buggies or whatever were completely optional like Dirt Rally's rallycross and hillclimb events, I'd be totally down with that.

I'm fairly sure this will be the case given how Showdown and Rally did respectively.

I'd also like to say that this whole divergent spinoff experiment was a neat idea, really allows a big franchise to gauge their audience. I wish more big names would do this sort of thing.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Feb 7, 2016

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

Why don't I ever see any of you nerds on the daily/weekly challenge leaderboards? You're slacking!!! :whip:

I'm rusty, and I have an awesome blister on my thumb from grabbing a 375º oven rack, but I still managed to be the 4th fastest American up Pikes Peak today in the rain! (Fastest with a controller because I'm an alien :hehe:)

Still looking for the quicklike goons, posthaste :getin: http://steamcommunity.com/id/_sneakyness/

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I added you and usually always do the Daily. Although hillclimb sucks.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Double post! Can't decide if I like the Kit cars or not. Only driven them twice but I tend to get really good times in them even though they are very unusual to drive. Thoughts?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Red_Fred posted:

Double post! Can't decide if I like the Kit cars or not. Only driven them twice but I tend to get really good times in them even though they are very unusual to drive. Thoughts?

I love the F2s because I like FWD cars in general. They're also a class that's easy to be consistent with, but hard to be fast with so they lack the frustration factor I get with some other classes.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Doc Morbid posted:

:stonk:

Uh, no thanks. I like Dirt Rally because it has nothing to do with regular Dirt aside from the name, and I hope they're kept as far from each other as possible. Sure, they can try to cater to both the sim audience and the more casual arcade-style racing crowd, but that is usually a really bad idea and ends up pleasing nobody. Just keep Dirt 4 as the more accessible general off-road/X-Games/Ken Block/YEAH BRO SICK JUMPS game and keep Dirt Rally as a separate product
I went into Dirt 2 and Dirt 3 looking for an arcade racing game and I came out wanting to play Sega Rally Revo instead. They're bad at being arcade games.

edit: Toybox Turbos and Grid 2, on the other hand are pretty good at being arcade games.

Great Joe fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Feb 13, 2016

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Colour me hyped for the Alpine A110, btw. A 1960s-tier rear engined car just sounds hilarious to drive.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Great Joe posted:

I went into Dirt 2 and Dirt 3 looking for an arcade racing game and I came out wanting to play Sega Rally Revo instead. They're bad at being arcade games.

edit: Toybox Turbos and Grid 2, on the other hand are pretty good at being arcade games.

Sega Rally Revo is one of those games that didn't get the respect it deserved, and its really hard to find a PC copy now. Toybox Turbos though is a game that shouldn't be as good as it is, if the new Micro Machines they're working on is just a reskinned Toybox Turbos 2 I'll be more than happy.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

Great Joe posted:

Colour me hyped for the Alpine A110, btw. A 1960s-tier rear engined car just sounds hilarious to drive.

If they wanted they could always add in a Hillman Imp, a Fiat 600 and a Beetle for maximum rear engine silliness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Red_Fred posted:

There's a good amount of power there but the natural understeer forces you to be very heavy in your actions while still staying rather forgiving when you push yourself over your limits. It's kind of easy mode but in a fun and flexible way that has more depth to it than the clunky Mini does.

The way you approach different sections to the track are very different compared to a RWD car and I think once you get that used to both that and genuinely capable front wheel drive cars you can really start to appreciate and fine tune your differentials in AWD vehicles to make them do exactly what you want them to do.

• Locked thread