Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

Germstore posted:

Glowforge has a similar setup, except it's $5000 laser cutters that will be left useless if they shut down their servers. Their response to that concern has basically been, "I don't know, maybe we'll open source the software, lol who knows."

Can someone explain the reasoning behind this, because it sounds 100% batshit crazy to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

And it works, the stupid e-ink shoes almost reached 1 million simply by hiring a company to write articles about it on tech and gadget blogs and sites.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/shiftwear-customize-your-kicks/

Is there a single photo or video of a the shoe being actually worn?

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

MrMoo posted:

Is there a single photo or video of a the shoe being actually worn?

No they don't even have any kind of prototype, it's literally just an idea with a cgi video of what it could look like. The costs of making a shoe with full colour e-ink that wouldn't instantly explode the second you bend it into the shape of a shoe is at least 100x what they got through their kickstarter which is why they will try to disappear as quietly as possible.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Do they actually say at any point where they'll get the flexible display? E Ink does seem to have a flexible one called Mobius, but I doubt it'll be anywhere near suitable for a shoe. I like this quote:

quote:

The technology and components have already existed for years now. It’s a matter of the different components working together in flexible form factors. The existing technologies suffer from certain issues and we are working to solve them.

bvoid posted:

Can someone explain the reasoning behind this, because it sounds 100% batshit crazy to me.

IIRC, the pitch is that you don't need to run your own computer and software to prepare your file for the cutter - just connect it directly to wifi, send over the drawing to the cloud and wala!

The downside is that you're hosed if the cloud takes a poo poo for some reason (like they go bankrupt) or their billing department messes up :v:

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

quote:

Note: If we don't hit the stretch goals here on indiegogo. We still have outside investors on board who will ensure we get ALL these advanced features into the final unit.

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

this almost sounds like a modern day version of Maxwell Smarts shoe phone.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Oh man, that is sending out all the warning signs. Including 'being on indiegogo.'

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
#shiftwear did all my money go

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
If you're buying an annoying musical shoe to wear in public you kinda deserve to be scammed.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
Too bad they didn't offer a jerky compartment as an incentive.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Pingiivi posted:

a jerky compartment

Don't post my grindr username

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

1) why the gently caress would you want speakers in your shoes
2) they won't be very good because of the limited amount of space to put a speaker

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I'm not going to wear a shoe that doesn't have any in-built internet browser.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
People loved those stupid cat ear headphones that had outward facing speakers on the ears. Some people just want to be a boombox.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Can't someone make an indiegogo for Hulk Hogan Meat Shoes already?

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Are we posting gofundmes or is that too easy?

https://www.gofundme.com/tabitha-west

Also it's been funded and then some gently caress this planet.

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice
I hope she uses the money to get a second, bigger weed tattoo somewhere else on her face

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Uh, why crowdfund it then?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Doobie's Dog House is dead. That's another Kickstarter project down the shitter.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Doobie's Dog House is dead. That's another Kickstarter project down the shitter.

What? When did that happen?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
#shitwear

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Kilo147 posted:

What? When did that happen?

It was announced a few days ago. Doozie claims the building owner wants to pave paradise and put up a parking lot. Well, sell it to a funeral home so they can expand heir parking lot anyways.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

RandomPauI posted:

It was announced a few days ago. Doozie claims the building owner wants to pave paradise and put up a parking lot. Well, sell it to a funeral home so they can expand heir parking lot anyways.

Oh, man. I never got a chance to stop by and get food poisoning.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

RandomPauI posted:

Doesn't surprise me, funerals are probably the only growth industry in that town.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

at least that kickstarter produced something (good threads and some hotdogs)

I'm still waiting for The Lampster to fold. It's a classic combination of a kickstarter "team" consisting of one idiot with a dream and an advertiser. They were funded over a million on lamps of all things and have yet to even send out the backer surveys. Their chances of shipping in July are probably close to nil.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Gilganixon posted:

They were funded over a million on lamps of all things

In defense of lamps (how many times will I get to say this in my life?), the Lumio is pretty sweet. And is out there in the wild! It was even on Shark Tank!

The Lampster looks like a piece of poo poo though.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Gilganixon posted:

at least that kickstarter produced something (good threads and some hotdogs)

I'm still waiting for The Lampster to fold. It's a classic combination of a kickstarter "team" consisting of one idiot with a dream and an advertiser. They were funded over a million on lamps of all things and have yet to even send out the backer surveys. Their chances of shipping in July are probably close to nil.

The problem with Kickstarter is it makes people believe that with enough money they can easily figure out how to fulfill thousands of orders. This looks like a pretty basic project that a small team of skilled workers can pretty easily make a few hundred of. But with 6000 orders, it suddenly becomes a complex task that doesn't easily scale up and then you have to deal with all sorts of issues you've probably never thought about.

Especially when they've promised to paint them by hand and source all the lights from old vehicles. I remember some dumb campaign a while back promised to sign every product, and then went viral. They posted pictures of them spending like a week in a warehouse trying to sign everything.

Xandu has a new favorite as of 12:46 on Jan 23, 2016

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/neptune-suite-one-hub-infinite-possibilities#/updates

Something tells me these guys, who have a fantastic idea, will not be shipping in a few weeks as promised.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Xandu posted:

The problem with Kickstarter is it makes people believe that with enough money they can easily figure out how to fulfill thousands of orders. This looks like a pretty basic project that a small team of skilled workers can pretty easily make a few hundred of. But with 6000 orders, it suddenly becomes a complex task that doesn't easily scale up and then you have to deal with all sorts of issues you've probably never thought about.

Especially when they've promised to paint them by hand and source all the lights from old vehicles. I remember some dumb campaign a while back promised to sign every product, and then went viral. They posted pictures of them spending like a week in a warehouse trying to sign everything.

Yeah the skill involved in hand painting a few hundred lamps and mailing them out is completely different from running an enterprise where a large team produces thousands of the things. I don't think these guys are scammers but I'll be real surprised if they don't fold with most of the orders unfulfilled . Kickstarter should stop accepting payments once the order volume exceeds the scope of the project but they like money and don't care if any of the projects actually succeed.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Xandu posted:

Especially when they've promised to paint them by hand and source all the lights from old vehicles.

They were always planning on mass producing them so they must have a supplier for the headlights lined up. There's no way they're going around to flea markets and junk stores themselves buying individual headlights.

Gilganixon posted:

I don't think these guys are scammers but I'll be real surprised if they don't fold with most of the orders unfulfilled .

They're still taking orders for even more lamps on their website!
http://thelampster.com/

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

mobby_6kl posted:

However this is a very legitimate concern for developing countries where free or cheap second-hand stuff floods the market and destroys any chances the local manufacturers had: http://edition.cnn.com/2013/04/12/business/second-hand-clothes-africa/

Phanatic posted:

I'm by no means the only person making that argument, and reacting to it dissmissively doesn't reduce its importance. Second-hand clothing imports have gutted textile industries and jobs in a number of African nations.

Fair enough, thanks for the additional information.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

They were always planning on mass producing them so they must have a supplier for the headlights lined up. There's no way they're going around to flea markets and junk stores themselves buying individual headlights.

They're still taking orders for even more lamps on their website!
http://thelampster.com/

The stupid shoes kickstarter also has a site for orders (actually they even asked backers to move their orders to that site). Doesn't mean they will deliver anything though.

http://www.shiftwear.com/

but it might make it easier for scammed backers to sue them

wit
Jul 26, 2011
:siren:2016, Time for a new thread. PM me if you want to make the next one. Only qualifications are: can write an actual OP unlike me, likes kickstarter failures, isn't a shitposter.:siren:

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Not really a kickstarter but lol if it isn't the same brand of scammy bullshit for idiots.

Free electric, 24h worth of electricity for your house by pedalling for 1h.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Does the math not work? They're talking about lights and cell chargers, not water heaters and dryers.

Paging Three Phase.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
There's not math to be done, they carefully give no meaningful numbers.

Also their video description has the phrase:

quote:

Free Electric can light their homes and shops, make food storage possible

Also I like when he talks about "those poors who aren't contributing anything to their outside world" (?) near 2'15

blainestereo
Jan 16, 2013

unpacked robinhood posted:

There's not math to be done, they carefully give no meaningful numbers.

yeah if i wanted to make that kosher i would at least speak my mind

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
If it's super efficient I think you'd get 200 watts tops. More than enough to charge low power devices. In theory you could probably design a refrigerator with a huge amount of insulation and it would work as long as you didn't open it often.

e: looked closer in some of the shots and you can see the meter on the thing staying around 200.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
From their website:

quote:

Imagine your life without electricity. Not only would you have no cell phone, computer or television. It would be difficult to light and heat your home or prepare food without burning wood or coal. Your home would be smoky. Food storage would be impossible. That’s how half the world currently lives. Now imagine the difference electrical power could make to those people.

They're suggesting their thing can give enough power to cook food. They're fuckos