Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

The unkindest cut of all though? The first Xenoblade killed my Wii disc drive. So XCX has apparently come to finish the job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
The hardest tyrant of all is Nintendo.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Silver Falcon posted:

What is that jacket called? I want to copy your look for Gwin.

Gwin is sporting a lovely ensemble from the Sakabura line of Bargain Sunglasses, Bargain Jacket and Jeans.

Taear posted:

Haywire then ends in the Murderess affinity quest. Which is kinda bollocks really - to end a storyline in an affinity quest.

Particularly Murderess. I did her intro quest and immediately just put her on a bus, along with Xenophobic Otaku Samurai.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Bruceski posted:

Particularly Murderess. I did her intro quest and immediately just put her on a bus, along with Xenophobic Otaku Samurai.

Murderess is the stupidest part of the game. There's 1000 of us left so hey, shoot people for money. That's fine.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Murderess hasn't actually killed anyone. She shot one non-fatally and that's it.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Taear posted:

Murderess is the stupidest part of the game. There's 1000 of us left so hey, shoot people for money. That's fine.

Unfortunately she's not alone. Several other people get greedy or homicidal for reasons?

At least she's open about her idiotic plans, unlike Oprah or whatever Hope's friend is called.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

So I switched from Samurai Gunner to commando because I don't want to get fixated on one playstyle, and am I doing something wrong or do snipers kind of suck inside their own class? I'm halfway through Partisan Eagle, and I see how sniper rifles could be awesome, but I have so few tools to synergize with damage that it feels like the only point of leveling eagle and astral crusader is to unlock enough skills and arts to build a Drifter that stacks critical and damage % stuff for his rifle.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TurnipFritter posted:

Murderess hasn't actually killed anyone. She shot one non-fatally and that's it.

Yeah, she totally hasn't done poo poo like send people off to fight Tyrants with weak weapons and then bet on whether they survive or not. On multiple occasions.

Taear posted:

In related news - why does Mia require SO MANY quests to get? It just seems like she's an end game character even though she's just another normal human.

She's got one in each zone, that's not "so many". The whole point is you're running into her while she's off on her own adventures around Mira. And in a surprise upset, actually runs against the usual "upbeat incompetent ditz" cliche because after it all she actually winds up professional as hell and really good at being a BLADE by her own merits.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jan 22, 2016

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yeah, she totally hasn't done poo poo like send people off to fight Tyrants with weak weapons and then bet on whether they survive or not. On multiple occasions.

She didn't force anyone to do that though, that's their own greed getting them killed.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Well, I just spent 90 minutes beating my head against a wall. Quest to fight some Prone in a cave full of flowers and wasps and beetles. They're at the far side of it and halfway through the fight I get about 10 adds for an unknown reason. And it's all on a small island over lava. I'm coming back at 50.

A good example of this game being morbid as Hell, though. "They started skinning her, and when they found out she was a mim they got mad and took their time pulling her apart, screaming for Alfred the whole time."

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bruceski posted:

Well, I just spent 90 minutes beating my head against a wall. Quest to fight some Prone in a cave full of flowers and wasps and beetles. They're at the far side of it and halfway through the fight I get about 10 adds for an unknown reason. And it's all on a small island over lava. I'm coming back at 50.

A good example of this game being morbid as Hell, though. "They started skinning her, and when they found out she was a mim they got mad and took their time pulling her apart, screaming for Alfred the whole time."

Ice-cream cake is a hell of a thing, isn't it?

Once you get your Level-30 Skell(s), there's really no reason not to just power on to Level 50+ by beating the poo poo out of a high-level enemies.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Bruceski posted:

Is that an Affinity mission because I've done almost every Normal mission and I do not remember that one.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Ometeotl posted:

Is that an Affinity mission because I've done almost every Normal mission and I do not remember that one.

It's out in the wild, I ran into it on my way to the chapter 9 mission.

E: the hex north of FN402 on the west side of Sylvalum.

E2: and I finally beat it. Hauled every non-single target ability off my and my allies' bars, it let us pull things in a controlled manner and take half of the swarm down before aggroing the other half.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jan 22, 2016

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Is there anyway to make the ice cream cake quest not turn into gore horror?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

bloodychill posted:

nope.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Flight module obtained, Kenny Loggins on the computer, time to go exploring.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I have yet to get the ice cream cake quest but am really looking forward to it whenever I manage to get it

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face

Bruceski posted:

Flight module obtained, Kenny Loggins on the computer, time to go exploring.

IMO skell flying just isn't the same unless you're listening tot he same J-Pop song on loop for 20 minutes.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

She's got one in each zone, that's not "so many". The whole point is you're running into her while she's off on her own adventures around Mira. And in a surprise upset, actually runs against the usual "upbeat incompetent ditz" cliche because after it all she actually winds up professional as hell and really good at being a BLADE by her own merits.

Everyone else has one so five is quite a lot! And her final one requires you to do the entire Definian quest line to get to the bit she's in. That's loads!

So when you do Alexa's final quest you get given a Skell Frame schematic. This schematic is level 60 but if you build the skell and sell it you get about 2.5 million credits. The items required to create it are around 300 reward tickets. Suddenly money seems a little easier to find now!

Taear fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Jan 22, 2016

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
So, earlier in the thread I mentioned the Disk Bomb Launcher sidearm for Skells. Aquired from Milsaadi Savages, mostly found high up Mount M'gando or in the Atropolis. The weapon is kind of like a shotgun/homing missile hybrid, and normally only has 1 ammo. However it can come with Missile Mag augs which let you fire up to 10 shots at once with the 50 version. The stats are balanced with a single shot magazine in mind, so these can get ridiculous. I'm currently waiting for more miranium so I can add slots to my second one so I can make it really easy to go into overdrive and spam my level 60 Zenith Cannon. It even synergizes well with the Cannon, since the Amdusias armor gives both phys and thermal damage.

Also, someone in the thread mentioned how the other aliens must have been the ones to blow up the earth in the intro because the Ganglion were so pitiful. Turns out they were right in a way. The other aliens, apparently known as 'The Ghosts' were made on antimatter, and all the explosions rocking earth in the intro were just a few of them being shot down, with the earth destroyed by a big one exploding.

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future

Taear posted:

Everyone else has one so five is quite a lot! And her final one requires you to do the entire Definian quest line to get to the bit she's in. That's loads!

So when you do Alexa's final quest you get given a Skell Frame schematic. This schematic is level 60 but if you build the skell and sell it you get about 2.5 million credits. The items required to create it are around 300 reward tickets. Suddenly money seems a little easier to find now!

Are there more than just two? I've done the second one but no skell frame has unlocked in the interface yet. Do you have to be level 60 to see it?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

bloodychill posted:

I wish this could be the thread title.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ashsaber posted:

Also, someone in the thread mentioned how the other aliens must have been the ones to blow up the earth in the intro because the Ganglion were so pitiful. Turns out they were right in a way. The other aliens, apparently known as 'The Ghosts' were made on antimatter, and all the explosions rocking earth in the intro were just a few of them being shot down, with the earth destroyed by a big one exploding.

Wait, what? Where do you find that out?

Hatastrophe
Sep 28, 2007

Ashsaber posted:

So, earlier in the thread I mentioned the Disk Bomb Launcher sidearm for Skells. Aquired from Milsaadi Savages, mostly found high up Mount M'gando or in the Atropolis. The weapon is kind of like a shotgun/homing missile hybrid, and normally only has 1 ammo. However it can come with Missile Mag augs which let you fire up to 10 shots at once with the 50 version. The stats are balanced with a single shot magazine in mind, so these can get ridiculous. I'm currently waiting for more miranium so I can add slots to my second one so I can make it really easy to go into overdrive and spam my level 60 Zenith Cannon. It even synergizes well with the Cannon, since the Amdusias armor gives both phys and thermal damage.

I actually did this and got two disk bombs for my lailah queen. Maxing out the extra mag on disk bomb as you said provides an insane amount of GP. I can pretty much sit in perma overdrive, which is good because it takes some time to kill things in a lailah. They build GP so fast though I can't think of a build where having those as your weapons would be a detriment, they're just so drat good.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

BitterAvatar posted:

Are there more than just two? I've done the second one but no skell frame has unlocked in the interface yet. Do you have to be level 60 to see it?

There should be one more left if it's not showing up. Check the hangar in the industrial district, but keep in mind there are a few requirements before you can start it; 4 hearts with Alexa, completed chapter 11, and unlocked the flight module.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

drat, I was right. 80 hours down the drain. On the plus side, skip cutscenes will have vigorous and frequent use.

On the down side, I regret choosing Fiora's voice this time, as soon as I get the tube I'm going back to Reyn's cynical older brother with Shulk's voice.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Taear posted:

I'm sitting on a fortune after a hundred hours or so of getting 200,000+ credits every FrontierNav tick, but I'm perpetually short of tickets for augment crafting. I can't even imagine wanting to exchange tickets for money :psyduck:

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

GreenBuckanneer posted:

And it's cool because you can't back up your saves because nintendo thinks that might mean you're cheating by hacking the saves! (even though they're obfuscated) No online cloud upload either!

It's like we're back in PS2 days where certain devs didn't let you copy your game saves because reasons, except it's the standard for nintendo as a whole.

That was also a thing on PS3.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Wait, what? Where do you find that out?

Those short stories that came out before the game clear up a bit. The first is just how Tatsu was caught by the Prone at first.The second is about Nagi and mentions the non-Ganglion have antimatter cores. The third is the fight against the first tyrant. The fourth is how Lin was rescued, and the first bits of BLADE coming into being. The fifth is solving the energy crisis in NLA and BLADE actually being founded. gently caress if I can find where it states how the Earth blew up, the translation was done before the game was released in English. Or released at all.

Hatastrophe posted:

I actually did this and got two disk bombs for my lailah queen. Maxing out the extra mag on disk bomb as you said provides an insane amount of GP. I can pretty much sit in perma overdrive, which is good because it takes some time to kill things in a lailah. They build GP so fast though I can't think of a build where having those as your weapons would be a detriment, they're just so drat good.

Note that infinite Overdrive can let you do something really silly if you get the right drops from some of the superbosses. The Masterma and Inferno frames get to reflect certain types of damage (Beam and Thermal respectively) when in overdrive, while the some of the superbosses can drop augs that make you reflect other elements as well. If you can get one of each type you can be permanently invincible during overdrive, and cause enemies to hit themselves.

Ashsaber fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jan 23, 2016

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Suaimhneas posted:

I'm sitting on a fortune after a hundred hours or so of getting 200,000+ credits every FrontierNav tick, but I'm perpetually short of tickets for augment crafting. I can't even imagine wanting to exchange tickets for money :psyduck:

I have tonnes! I'm at 150k a tick and it's still gently caress all money when you need 4 or 5 million.

And BitterAvatar - it's a schematic. You don't get a skell. It's at the bottom of the list of Skell ones.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Taear posted:

I have tonnes! I'm at 150k a tick and it's still gently caress all money when you need 4 or 5 million.

And BitterAvatar - it's a schematic. You don't get a skell. It's at the bottom of the list of Skell ones.

Stick your mining probes on the ones that give you stuff. Some of those are worth 3,000+ per unit, and when they max out at 99 in your inventory you get cash instead. With multiple probes on sites like that, you'll pull obscene amounts of credits per-tick before long despite only "technically" getting 150k-or-so.

Hatastrophe
Sep 28, 2007

Ashsaber posted:

Note that infinite Overdrive can let you do something really silly if you get the right drops from some of the superbosses. The Masterma and Inferno frames get to reflect certain types of damage (Beam and Thermal respectively) when in overdrive, while the some of the superbosses can drop augs that make you reflect other elements as well. If you can get one of each type you can be permanently invincible during overdrive, and cause enemies to hit themselves.

Oh drat, I might have to keep an eye open for that then. Thanks!

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
So I bought this game and it's my 2nd Wii U game ever. And boy I really don't like Wii U at all. The Gamepad touchscreen feels really unresponsive and you can't even fast travel and look at the map grid using just the Pro Controller. Also the online keeps disconnecting for some reason even though I've never had problems with my wireless PS4 connection.

The game itself is really good.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Get an ethernet adapter. The WiiU's wireless is crap.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

If you're having touchscreen issues, keep in mind that it's capacitive, so you'll want to be using firm taps with your fingernail/knuckle/stylus, rather than the gentle swipes you might use on something like a phone.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I've put maybe 35 hours or so into the game so far, past Chapter 7, doing all sorts of affinity and normal missions between story ones while occasionally just going around exploring places. I'm saying all this because I wanted you all to know this game is good.

I really like the emphasis on exploration, between it being your whole job and the story missions requiring you to explore X% of areas and all these missions sending you to different places all over the world to the world itself just being so large and pretty-looking and full of secrets that you can't help but explore. And of course things get more awesome when you get your first skell and can explore more and start beating down large enemies with your giant death robot.

I love this dumb anime game.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Supercar Gautier posted:

If you're having touchscreen issues, keep in mind that it's capacitive, so you'll want to be using firm taps with your fingernail/knuckle/stylus, rather than the gentle swipes you might use on something like a phone.

This must be what messes me up. I had touchscreen things for years before I got a phone, and the phone screen feels super fiddly to me. I'm always tapping things when I mean to swipe, or accidentally trying to tap something with my fingernail.

So yeah, definitely use the stylus if you're having touchscreen issues!

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm trying to do Elma's heart to heart that requires a cat but she's not there. It says something about another heart to heart, but I don't see any other ones for her. I did one with Lin already. Why isn't Elma showing up?

Whenever I got to the affinity chart and hit X for more character info, the game stops responding. It's still running, but I've hit all the buttons and nothing happens.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
After you rescue the annoying potato thing and the game opens up, what do you do, just random side missions and explore to get story missions? Is there a ideal set of party members to take or can I just take who I think looks bad rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Abu Dave posted:

After you rescue the annoying potato thing and the game opens up, what do you do, just random side missions and explore to get story missions? Is there a ideal set of party members to take or can I just take who I think looks bad rear end

It should say when you check on the mission itself (in the barracks, you can check in person or on FrontierNav, there will be an option to check the requirements either way). From what I've seen so far, it's usually "explore X% of this continent and do this affinity mission".

• Locked thread