Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sagacious
Oct 29, 2012

Or is it Sputnik posted:

And I'm done. That was fun, except the last part - unlocking Blinding Baby and the last five items in the collection grid.

Congratulations hope some of the item grinding was worth it. Can't imagine how big of a pain mega blast must had been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Ok, turns out that having Brimstone + Mom's Knife turns you into Dio!

TOKI WO TOMARE!

MUDA MUDA MUDA!

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
We just need someone to turn The High Priestess into a steamroller.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
This is twice now in the past week I haven't gotten a Devil Deal on floor 2. I didn't get the details last time, but this time:

- Came to the floor with an eternal heart from the previous floor filling in my sole heart container.
- Cellar 2
- Didn't take any damage on the floor.
- Picked up Judas's Shadow from the item room.
- Got a small boss room.

I thought the odds of getting a Devil Deal on floor 2 was like 135%. In hundreds of hours I don't remember that ever happening before this week.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

You probably got it but couldn't get into it because it was a small boss room.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
Think I just had the best Mega Satan run ever. Halo, SMB Super Fan, Brimstone, Maw of The Void, Satanic Bible, Isaac's Heart, Holy Mantle, Kiss of The Serpent, Cube of Meat x2, Guardian Angel, PHD, Fate, Devil Bum, Lump of Coal and whatever the needle items are that increase speed I always forget their names.

SloppyDoughnuts fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jan 23, 2016

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got

sagacious posted:

Congratulations hope some of the item grinding was worth it. Can't imagine how big of a pain mega blast must had been.

I lucked out on mega blast and found it in a regular run. Although I did plan it so it wouldn't be the last thing I unlocked, which helped.

Vasler posted:

I'm at the point where I need to find only a few more items including mega blast - is greed mode the best way to do this?

Probably. Two of my last three were devil room items and I kept running Greed mode with Isaac.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
So, uh... I bought Binding of Isaac (the original + WotL) a while ago on Steam Sale, but I've just never been able to get into it. Seeing a couple of my favorite LPers doing Rebirth streams has made me interested in giving it another try.

I think part of it is just the huge amount of knowledge required for competent play - knowing what all the items do, what's a worthwhile thing to sacrifice health for, where to look for secrets, etc. But I feel like maybe I just haven't been approaching it with the right mindset. Can anyone offer advice on how to enjoy Isaac, or maybe a good review that encapsulates the payoff for getting past the initial cry-die-repeat learning curve?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Ghost of Starman posted:

So, uh... I bought Binding of Isaac (the original + WotL) a while ago on Steam Sale, but I've just never been able to get into it. Seeing a couple of my favorite LPers doing Rebirth streams has made me interested in giving it another try.

I think part of it is just the huge amount of knowledge required for competent play - knowing what all the items do, what's a worthwhile thing to sacrifice health for, where to look for secrets, etc. But I feel like maybe I just haven't been approaching it with the right mindset. Can anyone offer advice on how to enjoy Isaac, or maybe a good review that encapsulates the payoff for getting past the initial cry-die-repeat learning curve?

I'm gonna do the Cliff's Notes version of my usual advice for Rebirth, slightly adapted. It's been a while since I played the original, but it sorta applies there:

1 - You need FOUR (it's okay now?) things for a good run: damage, armor, mapping and mobility. Damage is self-explanatory, deal more damage, win faster. Armor is things that absorb damage without taking off red hearts. Why is that important? Because taking red heart damage locks you out of Devil Deals at the end of a boss fight, and those have some of the best items in the game. Mapping is being able to see the freakin' map, it mostly comes from store purchases. Mobilty helps with dodging enemy projectiles, it includes speed-ups up to a point and, more importantly, flight. I would priorize them in that order, maybe take flight over damage if I have enough damage already. Rebirth has a really good item resource in http://platinumgod.co.uk/original if you're in doubt.

2 - Don't open stores until you have at least 15 coins, it's a waste of a key. Bombs are used for opening secret rooms (usually a room surrounded by other rooms that you could theoretically access by foot if a door was there - no rocks or a huge hole in the way), or bombing tinted rocks for more soul hearts (rocks that are slightly off-colored, they also have an X mark on them). Also don't open gold chests unless you have extra keys because you will want those keys for opening treasure runs.

3 - Gambling is fun and good (if you need resources)!

4 - Just keep playing, you're gonna die a LOT. I think it took me 50 runs to be able to beat the "final" boss of the game. I've clocked like 400 attemps nowadays. I'm doing a full win one out of every three runs, and I'm TERRIBLE at dodging. You just pick up on patterns and things you REALLY wanna avoid eventually. As I mentioned, http://platinumgod.co.uk/original is a good resource for items.

Dias fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jan 23, 2016

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got

Ghost of Starman posted:

Just fail play a lot to git gud basically. You'll get better, unlock better items and have more fun. It's kind of a steep curve but hang in there! Even in failed runs you've likely made progress towards something.

platinumgod.co.uk has the Rebirth cheat sheet which tells you what each item does individually. The BoIR wiki can tell you synergies between items if you're wondering how picking up this will affect what you already have. SA's Psychedelic Eyeball has an LP running that starts from 0 and is kind of informative, you could try that.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

For item descriptions and effects, you should use http://platinumgod.co.uk/. You can keep it open in a tab while you play if you want and use it to look up what items do if you've forgotten, if that's your style.

Instead I'd recommend just playing normally and picking up everything you possibly can. Eventually like any roguelike you'll start remembering certain items and trying to look out for them, but in Isaac unless you have the d6 (lets you reroll items) or a perthro rune (a single use d6 basically) your choices are basically either taking an item or getting nothing at all.

Super non-comprehensive list of tips:
  • Not taking red heart damage on any floor past the first gives you a chance to have a devil room appear after you beat the boss. Devil rooms usually have a couple items you can buy for either 1 or 2 red heart containers or 3 soul hearts if you have soul hearts but no red heart containers. There's a bunch of other factors that influence the percent chance, but basically try to get soul hearts (the gray ones) or black hearts which serve as shields for your red hearts. You can get soul hearts pretty reliably by blowing up tinted rocks, rocks that appear with an X on them.
  • If you don't take deals from the devil you have a chance for your next devil room to be an angel room instead. Angel rooms have one item at best, but it's free and the items there are more defensively related than devil room items, which are more about offence.
  • For starting off your first few runs try to unlock each character, then beeline towards doing every stamp on the post it note for each character. You get a stamp for beating each end boss, and doing that with a character unlocks a new item that can appear in all of your runs going forward. Challenges also unlock new items for completing them, so do those at some point.
  • At first your runs will end at Mom's Heart, but if you get a devil or angel room during that fight you can go to sheol or the cathedral respectively and fight a new boss at the end. Do either of those enough times (5 I believe) and you unlock the polaroid or negative. Taking the polaroid to the cathedral or the negative to sheol lets you access the chest or dark room respectively, which are the actual final levels which are basically boss gauntlets. However, any chest besides red chests on those floors is guaranteed to contain an item.

Really though, it's all just about playing enough times to get used to enemy and boss patterns. You could complete the game without a single damage up if you wanted, just dodging like a motherfucker. It'd take forever and drive you insane but it's totally possible. Just keep playing, you'll probably catch on pretty quickly. :unsmith:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

In the original, if you beat Satan before officially unlocking Sheol it just counts as an extra mom kill. That way you get two mom kills in one run instead of the game treating it like a legit Satan kill like in Rebirth.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Brains! is such bullshit, and Onan's isn't much better. In comparison, most of the other challenges only took a few runs /a few hours.

Kliff
Feb 7, 2009

Forgotten by everyone? Kanako's fault.
At the moment, I'm not sure if it's changed since the last time I went there, the only chests in the Dark Room that don't count as item pedestal chests are the very first four red chests. Any other chest in the Dark Room - besides, possibly, Red Chests that act as replacements due to the Left Hand - acts as if you were in the Chest instead.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

If you have an iPhone, I've been using this app to find out what items do:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/item-guide-for-binding-isaac/id945680681?mt=8

It's free, but $2 to remove banner ads. You can sort items by pills, pickups, etc. Hell, if you don't know the name of an item, and see it on a pedestal, you can view all the items, even sorted by color so you can just find it in the list. I find it's much easier to use this app than any guide I was using before.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Well, platinumgod.co.uk allows you to search by colour too, if you type in a colour it highlights all items with that colour. I play Isaac on pc so I'll stick to the Rebirth Item Tracker and website resources.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Dias posted:

1 - You need three things for a good run: damage, armor, mapping and mobility.

I dont want to seem pedantic, but....

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
He's got some other things wrong, too. Like, nothing can ever completely lock you out of a devil deal, except being on floor 1 and floor 9+. You always have at least a 1% chance.
Advising on ignoring the shop when under 15 cents is also pretty bad. Top priority for every key is treasure room for the floor, but if you have 1 or 2 keys to spare, it's good to visit the shop anyways, since items can be discounted, you can blow up the shopkeeper with spare bombs for a chance at money and devil rooms, and you can get the Greed fights out of the way so they don't spawn on a later floor when you actually have money to spend.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

SiKboy posted:

I dont want to seem pedantic, but....

edit: well nevermind i typed it fast and forgot i added mapping later

HenryEx posted:

He's got some other things wrong, too. Like, nothing can ever completely lock you out of a devil deal, except being on floor 1 and floor 9+. You always have at least a 1% chance.
Advising on ignoring the shop when under 15 cents is also pretty bad. Top priority for every key is treasure room for the floor, but if you have 1 or 2 keys to spare, it's good to visit the shop anyways, since items can be discounted, you can blow up the shopkeeper with spare bombs for a chance at money and devil rooms, and you can get the Greed fights out of the way so they don't spawn on a later floor when you actually have money to spend.

1% chance is a long shot. As a shorthand, taking red health damage = gently caress your devil deal. The key thing I should've been more clear on, but I wouldn't open a shop at 2 keys unless I could definitely buy something inside (thus, 15 coins). Again, it's just shorthand.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Dias posted:

1% chance is a long shot. As a shorthand, taking red health damage = gently caress your devil deal. The key thing I should've been more clear on, but I wouldn't open a shop at 2 keys unless I could definitely buy something inside (thus, 15 coins). Again, it's just shorthand.

You can still get to like an 80% devil deal chance despite taking red heart damage on a floor, and that's without taking any of the items that boost the chance.
And using shorthands when giving tips to someone who knows basically nothing about Isaac is, let's say, misguided.

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!

Dias posted:

edit: well nevermind i typed it fast and forgot i added mapping later

Buying a 5 cent soul heart if you have none is really advisable if you want to get a devil deal.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

HenryEx posted:

You can still get to like an 80% devil deal chance despite taking red heart damage on a floor, and that's without taking any of the items that boost the chance.
And using shorthands when giving tips to someone who knows basically nothing about Isaac is, let's say, misguided.

Not really, dude. Should I say "don't take red heart damage because it all but locks you out of a devil deal (1% chance of getting one), except you could have a Belial's Book which increases that chance or a Goat's Head which guarantees you a devil deal, and you can also modify that by bombing guys in stores, secret rooms and anything that is a beggar oh yeah beggars are those guys that take things off of you for items bomb them if you don't have spare resources and have spare bombs" instead?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Greenplastic posted:

Buying a 5 cent soul heart if you have none is really advisable if you want to get a devil deal.

I wouldn't waste a key for that if I were just starting, especially since it's not guaranteed. Holy poo poo, anyone else wanna nitpick my cliff's notes basic-rear end advice while we're at it?

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

But taking red heart damage doesn't drop you to 1%, it drops you to 35%. It only drops you to 1% if you take red heart damage on the boss.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Dias posted:

I wouldn't waste a key for that if I were just starting, especially since it's not guaranteed. Holy poo poo, anyone else wanna nitpick my cliff's notes basic-rear end advice while we're at it?

I would. Getting that first Devil deal is really valuable.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Dias posted:

Holy poo poo, anyone else wanna nitpick my cliff's notes basic-rear end advice while we're at it?

You have flight as the least important priority - I, for one, would almost always choose flight over an alternative (only exception I can really think of is flight vs Brimstone). There are plenty of rooms with unavoidable damage without flight, very few with flight.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

senrath posted:

But taking red heart damage doesn't drop you to 1%, it drops you to 35%. It only drops you to 1% if you take red heart damage on the boss.

That's something I always forget, honestly. Every time I take damage on a floor I never get a devil deal because of my terrible luck. Still, please avoid taking red heart damage.

Andrast posted:

I would. Getting that first Devil deal is really valuable.

I agree, what is your point? The key thing? If you're just starting, you should still conserve keys because a shot at one soul heart off a key won't take you anywhere.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

MrL_JaKiri posted:

You have flight as the least important priority - I, for one, would almost always choose flight over an alternative (only exception I can really think of is flight vs Brimstone). There are plenty of rooms with unavoidable damage without flight, very few with flight.

I take damage over flight, but I probably take flight over anything else personally. It's why I added that last sentence, if you feel you have enough damage, please take flight over anything else. It's just that mobility also includes speed ups, but I don't think speed ups are that much of a priority when you're not playing a slow character.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

SaviourX posted:

Brains! is such bullshit, and Onan's isn't much better. In comparison, most of the other challenges only took a few runs /a few hours.

What's killing you on Onan's runs? Take it slow and it's easy.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I had the worst luck with Onan's streak since I kept accidentally getting synergies that would result in me taking damage every shot no matter what.

It's not a particularly hard challenge but that was pretty annoying.

Brains is loving terrible though. Waiting for the brains to spawn was extremely tedious.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

HenryEx posted:

I disagree with this. Finding a good item on sale seems less likely to me than running out of keys needed for the item rooms. If I have more than 3 keys or I'm already in the Depths then sure, I'll hit up the item room with less than 15 coins but otherwise I stay out unless I'm desperate for soul hearts.

Unless you have a solid key buffer or 15 coins you're essentially gambling a guaranteed item for a possible item.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.

Jibo posted:

I disagree with this. Finding a good item on sale seems less likely to me than running out of keys needed for the item rooms. If I have more than 3 keys or I'm already in the Depths then sure, I'll hit up the item room with less than 15 coins but otherwise I stay out unless I'm desperate for soul hearts.

Unless you have a solid key buffer or 15 coins you're essentially gambling a guaranteed item for a possible item.

Bombing the shopkeeper for increased devil deal chance is arguably worth more than a lot of what you find in item rooms at this point.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Xeras posted:

Bombing the shopkeeper for increased devil deal chance is arguably worth more than a lot of what you find in item rooms at this point.

That actually seems even more situational. If you have spare bombs then you should be trying to find the secret rooms anyway which will give you a shopkeeper to blow up. Even if you are not confident in your ability to find the secret room or don't have enough bombs to cover all possible locations for it, you will get a higher boost to your devil room chance by saving your bombs for tinted rocks to give yourself a soul heart buffer or for killing beggars, none of which are going to cost you a key in addition to your bombs.

Now if you have a boomerang or candle and no bombs then you might consider spending a key to torch the shopkeep but a 10%, 5%, or 2.5% increase in devil room chance still doesn't seem worth potentially missing out on an item room which has maybe a 50% chance of having something useful in it.

You also run the risk of getting Greed which is not going to help much a lot of the time.

I mean, I'm not trying to tell people how to play the game but I don't think we should go around overvaluing the shop against the item room if you don't have coins.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Dias posted:

I agree, what is your point? The key thing? If you're just starting, you should still conserve keys because a shot at one soul heart off a key won't take you anywhere.
Yes it will, if you have no blue hearts then it can prevent you from taking red heart damage, which can get you your first deal with the devil which gets you devil precedent.

If I am on floor 2 with no soul hearts, 5 cents and at least one key, you bet I'm going into the shop to see if there's a blue heart for sale. If there's not, chances are there will at least be a key that I can buy to get myself into the item room afterwards.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

IronicDongz posted:

Yes it will, if you have no blue hearts then it can prevent you from taking red heart damage, which can get you your first deal with the devil which gets you devil precedent.

If I am on floor 2 with no soul hearts, 5 cents and at least one key, you bet I'm going into the shop to see if there's a blue heart for sale. If there's not, chances are there will at least be a key that I can buy to get myself into the item room afterwards.

What you're not taking into account is that I'm targeting that towards a newbie. Wasting a key on a soul heart and possibly missing out on a treasure room is bad, because someone new will probably take that soul heart of damage anyway. It's not a bad decision, but it's 1) situational and 2) dependant on you being comfortable enough to use that soul heart as enough of a buffer, and recognizing your current setup is good enough to at least scout one more key.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Power of Pecota posted:

What's killing you on Onan's runs? Take it slow and it's easy.

Not sure, since it spiralled into Brains afterward, but probably impatience on both. (and too many tears/lack of non-brains )

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Dias posted:

I'm gonna do the Cliff's Notes version of my usual advice for Rebirth, slightly adapted. It's been a while since I played the original, but it sorta applies there:

1 - You need FOUR (it's okay now?) things for a good run: damage, armor, mapping and mobility. Damage is self-explanatory, deal more damage, win faster. Armor is things that absorb damage without taking off red hearts. Why is that important? Because taking red heart damage locks you out of Devil Deals at the end of a boss fight, and those have some of the best items in the game. Mapping is being able to see the freakin' map, it mostly comes from store purchases. Mobilty helps with dodging enemy projectiles, it includes speed-ups up to a point and, more importantly, flight. I would priorize them in that order, maybe take flight over damage if I have enough damage already. Rebirth has a really good item resource in http://platinumgod.co.uk/original if you're in doubt.

2 - Don't open stores until you have at least 15 coins, it's a waste of a key. Bombs are used for opening secret rooms (usually a room surrounded by other rooms that you could theoretically access by foot if a door was there - no rocks or a huge hole in the way), or bombing tinted rocks for more soul hearts (rocks that are slightly off-colored, they also have an X mark on them). Also don't open gold chests unless you have extra keys because you will want those keys for opening treasure runs.

3 - Gambling is fun and good (if you need resources)!

4 - Just keep playing, you're gonna die a LOT. I think it took me 50 runs to be able to beat the "final" boss of the game. I've clocked like 400 attemps nowadays. I'm doing a full win one out of every three runs, and I'm TERRIBLE at dodging. You just pick up on patterns and things you REALLY wanna avoid eventually. As I mentioned, http://platinumgod.co.uk/original is a good resource for items.

Yeah I'm gonna outright nitpick your shop advice for point 2. Shops are almost always worth peeking into if you have more than 2 keys and 7 coins because there's the chance of an item being on sale, some items being available that can help make your run (good pills you have identified, bicycle-backed cards, soul hearts to avoid red heart damage, etc.) as well as just outright donating to the donation machine instead of buying anything, or fighting Greed earlier on in order to get more coins for next floor. You can also blow up the shopkeepers for extra coins to pick up for next floor, and anybody new is going to be playing on Normal mode, so the chance of getting replacement keys for the 6 floors they're playing is pretty high.

Maybe when you have a fully unlocked shop and have played the game for a while, that's a decent time to ignore shops unless you have 15 coins and more than a few spare keys. At that point you know how to exploit drops in order look for certain things, you know how to rig the system for Devil Deals, you don't need to donate in order to expand the shop, and you can fairly well tell whether you're going to need shop items or not.

At the very least, if you have more than 2 keys and at least one bomb, you should always open the shop before the boss, if only to tweak your Devil Room chances a little higher.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

death .cab for qt posted:

Yeah I'm gonna outright nitpick your shop advice for point 2. Shops are almost always worth peeking into if you have more than 2 keys and 7 coins because there's the chance of an item being on sale, some items being available that can help make your run (good pills you have identified, bicycle-backed cards, soul hearts to avoid red heart damage, etc.) as well as just outright donating to the donation machine instead of buying anything, or fighting Greed earlier on in order to get more coins for next floor. You can also blow up the shopkeepers for extra coins to pick up for next floor, and anybody new is going to be playing on Normal mode, so the chance of getting replacement keys for the 6 floors they're playing is pretty high.

Maybe when you have a fully unlocked shop and have played the game for a while, that's a decent time to ignore shops unless you have 15 coins and more than a few spare keys. At that point you know how to exploit drops in order look for certain things, you know how to rig the system for Devil Deals, you don't need to donate in order to expand the shop, and you can fairly well tell whether you're going to need shop items or not.

At the very least, if you have more than 2 keys and at least one bomb, you should always open the shop before the boss, if only to tweak your Devil Room chances a little higher.

This is fair enough, it just sounded too complicated for basic advice, hehe. 7 coins and a spare key for the treasure room is a worthwhile item room trip. I was kinda keeping WotL in mind too, I'm not sure item rooms were that useful back them.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
Thank you for the advice, all! I will take it to heart! :v:

(please don't be angry at each other, we're all in this roguelike hell together :ohdear:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Huh, so jar of flies does count towards the lord of the flies transformation.