Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Bongo Bill posted:

Glory of Heracles on the DS was an enjoyably bland experience. Simple and breezy, with a good rhythm to it. It had timed hits, and the weird MP system encouraged you to change up your tactics without turning into something that demands a lot of effort to understand.

One of the Glory of Heracles games had a really cool concept. You were dead and you could go around possessing different people and it had kind of an open-ended plot so you could approach it from different angles depending on who all you possessed. I had it on Super Famicom while I was over in Japan but didn't get very far into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

BadAstronaut posted:

What a great game. The DS release didn't hook me as much, but man I played the hell out of the GBA original.

Golden Sun is one of the biggest victims of hype ever imo.

Being one of the earliest, if not the first, GBA RPGs that also happens to be very pretty and a real good soundtrack (one of Motoi Sakuraba's best if you ask me) it got a lot of praise lavished on it for existing.

Then years later as nostalgia and hype faded the backlash came as people realized that it wasn't as great as advertised. So it became awful.

When the truth is, I think, that it's an above average game that does some interesting things on the standard jrpg formula.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Golden sun really needs to move about 2x as fast, at which point is becomes a pretty reasonable game for its era.

The music and graphics are great though for a GBS game, no question.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hsQDpCqxIg

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That song always makes me think of Valkyrie Profile (for obvious reasons.)

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Dr Pepper posted:

Golden Sun is one of the biggest victims of hype ever imo.

Being one of the earliest, if not the first, GBA RPGs that also happens to be very pretty and a real good soundtrack (one of Motoi Sakuraba's best if you ask me) it got a lot of praise lavished on it for existing.

Then years later as nostalgia and hype faded the backlash came as people realized that it wasn't as great as advertised. So it became awful.

When the truth is, I think, that it's an above average game that does some interesting things on the standard jrpg formula.

I think ultimately what helped it is that it was an RPG that came out at a time when the GBA was starved for anything in the genre.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

mechacop posted:

Other than Phantasy Star 1, anyone got an 8 or 16-bit NON-PC game that's a challenging 1st person dungeon crawler? Preferably something where I'd need to bust out my graph paper again..

The original Shining in the Darkness for the Mega Drive is a nice little 16-bit 1st person dungeon crawler.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

mechacop posted:

Other than Phantasy Star 1, anyone got an 8 or 16-bit NON-PC game that's a challenging 1st person dungeon crawler? Preferably something where I'd need to bust out my graph paper again..

Warriors of the Eternal Sun

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Libluini posted:

The original Shining in the Darkness for the Mega Drive is a nice little 16-bit 1st person dungeon crawler.

and it helps you understand the plot of shining force 3

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Tallgeese posted:

Decent RPGMaker games include:

LISA The Painful
OFF
Exit Fate
Master of the Wind (absolutely terrible music at some points, but the writing is... OK?! What madness is this!?)
Middens
Shattered Hourglass (if you can stand Babelfishy translations, personally that makes it funnier)
The Way (mileage may vary horribly on this one)

add Nocturne: Rebirth, which now has an english translation

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Golden sun really needs to move about 2x as fast, at which point is becomes a pretty reasonable game for its era.

The music and graphics are great though for a GBS game, no question.

That and to maybe put a sock in it when it comes to chatter because conversations in a handheld game have no reason to go on for ten minutes when you can gleam onto what to do in two.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Tallgeese posted:

Decent RPGMaker games include:

LISA The Painful
OFF
Exit Fate
Master of the Wind (absolutely terrible music at some points, but the writing is... OK?! What madness is this!?)
Middens
Shattered Hourglass (if you can stand Babelfishy translations, personally that makes it funnier)
The Way (mileage may vary horribly on this one)

Anything translated by vgperson, too.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Dackel posted:

add Nocturne: Rebirth, which now has an english translation

Wow, that looks good. I'll play that after Dragon's Dogma is done.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Getsuya posted:

The best RPGmaker games are the free horror games that Japan is constantly making. Most of them get translated and a lot of them are really good. Try Witch's House.

Most of the RPGmaker games Vgperson translated are good. http://vgperson.com/games/

My personal pick from there is Wadanohara and the Great Blue Sea. I haven't played many games that make feel such a wide range of emotions. It does a really good job shifting tones without being abrupt.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

mechacop posted:

Dungeon Magic, Swords & Serpents, Arcana, the Japan-only Dream Maze, and of course lots of ports of Ultima, Might & Magic, Dungeon Master, etc.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

There was also a Bard's Tale port on NES. Probably not held up well after all these years, I'd guess.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Some Star Ocean 5 info. Includes crafting, crafting crafting, random crafting, and at least 4 more types of crafting.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

HGH posted:

Some Star Ocean 5 info. Includes crafting, crafting crafting, random crafting, and at least 4 more types of crafting.

Wouldn't be an SO game without it.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
boxart is...decent, I guess?

I forgot there's a PS3 version coming out.

edit: Valkyria Chronicles remaster is coming Spring, and the details basically make it a PC port with better resolutions.

Tae fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jan 25, 2016

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Is the VC1 remaster on the ps4 just the pc version or are they fixing things?

^ oh. That's disappointing.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Man, it may just be because I'm exercising while playing which might be throwing off my strategic planning ability, but Fort Zeikden or whatever is kicking my butt in FFT. I'm about level 10, and my party is 2 monks, 2 time mages (one with white as backup, one with black). Delita's a knight mostly because he's horribly under-leveled and can't survive hits any other way.

I think I'm over-estimating the Monk's damage and under-estimating how much defensive ability I need. I think if I switch my Monks to Knights they won't lose that much damage while gaining a bunch of durability (especially since one of them has Chakra). They both have Move +1 and boots, plus the Time Mages can haste them, so I don't think them being slower will be too much of a problem.

I'm also thinking of switching my Time Mages back to WHite/Black so they can have more utility. Haste is great but it still misses enough that it's not dependable.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Tae posted:

boxart is...decent, I guess?

I forgot there's a PS3 version coming out.

edit: Valkyria Chronicles remaster is coming Spring, and the details basically make it a PC port with better resolutions.

ps3 version is only for japan.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Getsuya posted:

Man, it may just be because I'm exercising while playing which might be throwing off my strategic planning ability, but Fort Zeikden or whatever is kicking my butt in FFT. I'm about level 10, and my party is 2 monks, 2 time mages (one with white as backup, one with black). Delita's a knight mostly because he's horribly under-leveled and can't survive hits any other way.

I think I'm over-estimating the Monk's damage and under-estimating how much defensive ability I need. I think if I switch my Monks to Knights they won't lose that much damage while gaining a bunch of durability (especially since one of them has Chakra). They both have Move +1 and boots, plus the Time Mages can haste them, so I don't think them being slower will be too much of a problem.

I'm also thinking of switching my Time Mages back to WHite/Black so they can have more utility. Haste is great but it still misses enough that it's not dependable.

I recently beat this with knight, time mage (sub black), chemist, archer. It was kind of tough but not too bad. One important thing to keep in mind is that monk destruction doesn't really lift off until later. Also chemist is better than white magic in just about every way. Try and get auto-potion on your mages too.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

ps3 version is only for japan.

I have to wonder, I know the PS4 hasn't been selling so well in Japan but how well does PS3 games still sell comparatively? Have they all moved on to mobile games and pachinko?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Getsuya posted:

Give your monks basic skill with accumulate learned. Damage will ramp up rapidly.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

HGH posted:

at least welch looks less horrifying than her SO4 version

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Took me a second to work out what was going on with that hand though

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I have to wonder, I know the PS4 hasn't been selling so well in Japan but how well does PS3 games still sell comparatively? Have they all moved on to mobile games and pachinko?

PS3 games probably sell better because people actually have PS3's in Japan. PS4's are losing out to laptops and Japanese studios figuring out PC ports.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

at least welch looks less horrifying than her SO4 version

Wow, her face is way better than the pink haired main girl's ugly mug.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Neddy Seagoon posted:

PS3 games probably sell better because people actually have PS3's in Japan. PS4's are losing out to laptops and Japanese studios figuring out PC ports.

nah, ps3 versions sell worse than ps4 versions most of the time, but vita versions usually beat the ps4 soooo http://gematsu.com/tag/media-create-sales

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

That must create a weird situation, where PS4 games sell like poo poo in Japan but the Vita does well but over here it's the inverse to the point that most Vita games are getting ported to PC anyway.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Mr. Fortitude posted:

most Vita games are getting ported to PC anyway.

I wish.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I loved the Vita when I was in Japan. It had all the great waifu VN game ports and even some original waifu VN games.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So what is the best Mistwalker game? I've only played Blue Dragon but I liked that. I mean, it was pretty loving stupid, but I liked the combat and music a lot.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

NikkolasKing posted:

So what is the best Mistwalker game? I've only played Blue Dragon but I liked that. I mean, it was pretty loving stupid, but I liked the combat and music a lot.

Lost Odyssey, no contest.

Blue Dragon managed to have an entire cast of characters that I actively hated, which is an impressive achievement.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

last story

lost odyssey is good too but i liked LS better

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Last Story's game play is pretty unique too, kind of a cover based action RPG, I guess?

Lost Odyssey was good but the combat was basically FF8 only everyone could press a button at the right time to to more damage, not just Squall.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

NikkolasKing posted:

Terra Battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Wendell posted:

Wow, her face is way better than the pink haired main girl's ugly mug.

I think it's her gigantic eyeballs that make this the weirdest