Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I will be extremely disappointed if anybody uses BattleTech as a mark against me and my rights to have an opinion on the aesthetics of pretend robots.

Because by god I know my lovely-rear end garbage robos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I will be extremely disappointed if anybody uses BattleTech as a mark against me and my rights to have an opinion on the aesthetics of pretend robots.

Because by god I know my lovely-rear end garbage robos.

I'll forgive your lovely rear end garbage robos if you'll forgive my lovely-rear end garbage robos. :shobon:

Speaking of designers though, I kind of wonder what would happen if they gave Kawamori the greenlight on doing Gundam again, preferably for a full series. :allears:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I'll forgive your lovely rear end garbage robos if you'll forgive my lovely-rear end garbage robos. :shobon:

Speaking of designers though, I kind of wonder what would happen if they gave Kawamori the greenlight on doing Gundam again, preferably for a full series. :allears:

Agreed!

And considering the first Gundam models I ever wanted were the GP01 and GP02, I think what would happen would be magical.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I really like the look of the Gaia Gear Alpha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfRku6aqf5o

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Xinder posted:

I just finished episode 8 of ZZ. Am I supposed to like Judau? Because I don't. I find it difficult to like any of these characters.

I'm wondering if ZZ is going to turn around at some point or if I'm going to find the whole show this unenjoyable.

How much did you like Wong from Zeta Gundam?

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

SeanBeansShako posted:

How much did you like Wong from Zeta Gundam?

I found him pretty unlikable as well.

The fact that you asked this worries me.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Stick with ZZ a little longer.

Judau was a bit of a wanker at the start and has moments where he does some pretty insane things like choking women in act of I GOT TO FIND MY SISTER rage. He grew on me in the end.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

SeanBeansShako posted:

Stick with ZZ a little longer.

Judau was a bit of a wanker at the start and has moments where he does some pretty insane things like choking women in act of I GOT TO FIND MY SISTER rage. He grew on me in the end.

I'll stick with it for now, at least. I'm just worried because by this point I was really liking both Amuro and Kamille in their respective shows, so to be 8 episodes in and still not like the protagonist isn't the best sign.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

ZZ really starts getting good when they retire the monkey shines and hit earth.

Wait until you start hating on that creepy Glemy Toto. That is the real fun of hating on a character of ZZ.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

The beginning of zz sucks. People hate on moon moon but i think that part is neat and where the show starts to become a show.

Try and get over the initial hump; i think zz is a much more enjoyable show than z, personally. Its super slap stick and lame at first though.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

DamnGlitch posted:

The beginning of zz sucks. People hate on moon moon but i think that part is neat and where the show starts to become a show.

Try and get over the initial hump; i think zz is a much more enjoyable show than z, personally. Its super slap stick and lame at first though.

This is some high talk. I only recently finished Zeta for the first time and I think it might be my favorite Gundam series of them all.

Granted, I haven't seen most of them yet, so that's subject to change. But Zeta was really, really good.

unnecessary edit: I have listened to the second OP already and I can admit that I like it more than the first one. The first one has amusing translated lyrics, but it isn't as catchy of a song imo.

Xinder fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jan 22, 2016

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
To be honest, I quite enjoyed the early parts of ZZ. I'm sure that it helps to have a big gap between watching Zeta and watching it, because hoo boy, tone whiplash, but Bright being completely broken in soul was hilarious, Roux and Elle were cool, and the Endra's crew were an endearing bunch of villains (excluding Glemmy, who was a giant creeplord from day one).

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Xinder posted:

unnecessary edit: I have listened to the second OP already and I can admit that I like it more than the first one. The first one has amusing translated lyrics, but it isn't as catchy of a song imo.

Yeah i agree with this. Anime Ja Nai is funny, but i don't care for it much as music. Meanwhile Silent Voice is one of my favorite gundam ops

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Xinder posted:

This is some high talk. I only recently finished Zeta for the first time and I think it might be my favorite Gundam series of them all.

Worth noting that it took about 3 watches for me to stop hating every action every character made in zeta. If you really like zeta your milage may vary wrt zz.

Anime ja nai is a classic but its a really bad song. Silent voices rules

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i like Anime Ja Nai beyond the novelty of the lyrics, and would disagree that it's not catchy. hell, it just started playing in my head

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

dogsicle posted:

i like Anime Ja Nai beyond the novelty of the lyrics, and would disagree that it's not catchy. hell, it just started playing in my head

Same. drat thing is a major earworm.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Man, Zeta-Gundam, even early on, is pretty drat good at pulling the rug out on who you thought the bad guys were. I like the implication that good and bad are just matters of perspective and circumstance.

Also, there was a massive Gundam mentioned earlier, maybe one that a smaller gundam fits inside. I'm sorry for the very vague description, but does anyone know what I'm referring to?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Snowman_McK posted:

Man, Zeta-Gundam, even early on, is pretty drat good at pulling the rug out on who you thought the bad guys were. I like the implication that good and bad are just matters of perspective and circumstance.

Also, there was a massive Gundam mentioned earlier, maybe one that a smaller gundam fits inside. I'm sorry for the very vague description, but does anyone know what I'm referring to?

There are many that could fit that description.

Off the top of my head do you mean the Dendrobium, The red frame with the Power Loader or Mars Jacket, Virtue, Seravee or Raphael?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Snowman_McK posted:

The big Gundams in Zeta are the Psyco Gundams, Newtype-use war machines roughly the size of the Big Zam. As for big things piloted by regular-sized Gundams, there's the Dendrobium Orchis from 0083 and the Astray Red Frame's power loader exoskeleton from SEED Astray.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Psycho Gundam from zeta and satisfies the "giant gundam" criterion.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Droyer posted:

There are many that could fit that description.

Off the top of my head do you mean the Dendrobium, The red frame with the Power Loader or Mars Jacket, Virtue, Seravee or Raphael?

Don't forget these.

Gao
Aug 14, 2005
"Something." - A famous guy
So I decided to try watching the Seed compilation movies. I just finished the second one, and it's mostly been OK, but unremarkable. But what the gently caress was with that ending to the second film? So after they kick Federation rear end fairly easily, the president of Orb suddenly declares that they've already lost for some reason? And then he nukes himself!? Did the movie cut some crucial scenes out of this, or did it still make little sense in the TV show?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gao posted:

So I decided to try watching the Seed compilation movies. I just finished the second one, and it's mostly been OK, but unremarkable. But what the gently caress was with that ending to the second film? So after they kick Federation rear end fairly easily, the president of Orb suddenly declares that they've already lost for some reason? And then he nukes himself!? Did the movie cut some crucial scenes out of this, or did it still make little sense in the TV show?

They held off the Federation but took heavy losses and were eventually going to be overwhelmed. Cagalli's dad killing himself instead of getting out of dodge is just Pure Japanese Orbian Honor Suicide though and is p. dumb.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Gao posted:

It makes sense if you understand that Orb is an extremely transparent and nationalistic analogue for Japan, so Cagalli's dad is killing himself honorably instead of admitting defeat to the warmongering western invaders. One of the most pervasive themes in SEED is that Not-Japan is the best and can do no wrong if only it weren't being repeatedly defiled and used as a catspaw by corrupt western warmonger powers.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

The latter two aren't even Gundams at all, though.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I thought SEED suddenly turning the token Federation stand-in evil was really stupid and contrived. They weren't too keen on Coordinators at the start, but it's like someone hit a switch and every last person in the EA except for the Archangel crew turned extremely evil with no redeeming qualities as soon as the Archangel reached JOSH-A. It was really hokey.

I don't mind evil Federations (like the one in X), but SEED did a poo poo job with it.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The people running EA has always been evil in SEED. The opening Nuke, Endymion, druggies, the folks at the umbrella. The Coordinators response while initially defensive created massive social upheavals causing far more deaths than the Nuke reinforcing the underlying racism which has been on going for decades. After JOSH-A you start to have a lot of background defections which show up later. JOSH-A makes a lot more sense once you notice that Le Creuset set it up to radicalise both sides. The Coordinators get pretty evil themselves after this at Panama.

Orb "Won" because EA didn't get the mass driver, therefore had nothing to offer EA. The suicide was pretty silly though which can only be explained as Orb=Dreamland Japan.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

closeted republican posted:

I thought SEED suddenly turning the token Federation stand-in evil was really stupid and contrived. They weren't too keen on Coordinators at the start, but it's like someone hit a switch and every last person in the EA except for the Archangel crew turned extremely evil with no redeeming qualities as soon as the Archangel reached JOSH-A. It was really hokey.

I don't mind evil Federations (like the one in X), but SEED did a poo poo job with it.

This is actually explained in-show to be fair.

The EA has two factions. Atlantic Federation and the Eurasian Federation. The Atlantic Federation has a lot more Blue Cosmos influence but was kept somewhat in check by the Eurasian Federation. (The original nuking of Junius 7 was supposedly a rogue Blue Cosmos agent, not an official EA action.) Haliburton, the somewhat-not-insane dude who is Ramias' superior, was Eurasian Federation for example. That doesn't mean they didn't have assholes. The Artemis base was run by Eurasians, but that is also why Garcia offered to protect Kira because the Eurasians were not as strongly anti-Coordinator.

What crippled them and lead to the total takeover by the cartoonishly evil supervillain faction was a combination of losing Artemis, the Eurasian-sympathetic 8th Fleet getting decimated when the Archangel went there, and the Atlantic Federation getting mobile suits up and running things (again) to the Archangel. This lead to the Atlantic Federation deciding for a power play and so when JOSH-A happened it was staffed almost entirely by Eurasian supporters, officers and Eurasian-sympathetic carriers like the Archangel. (And why they attempted to get Mu, Natarle and Flay out of dodge before it happened.) In the wake of that the Atlantic Federation took almost complete control and went full-on crazy rear end in a top hat.

There's no excuse for it in Destiny though where the Earth Alliance doesn't have a single non-poo poo person.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jan 23, 2016

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The real reason is that Fukuda doesn't like settings that aren't black and white and so everyone must either be on the side of the heroes or super evil.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That is a pretty silly statement that you can't pin on Fukuda or anybody. MSG, Zeta, ZZ were almost black and white out of the gate.

In SEED and GSD you have the factions distilled into to these evil products over time as the good elements are either killed, leave, or defect. In GSD EA = Atlantic Federation. Eurasian Feds did try to stand up against them until they got Berlin-ed. There is a problem with GSD where they didn't write anybody for the EA that is good or neutral. Such persons only show up in Stargazer which is a great ONA to watch. Th EA gets messy when LOGOs shows up.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

oohhboy posted:

That is a pretty silly statement that you can't pin on Fukuda or anybody. MSG, Zeta, ZZ were almost black and white out of the gate.

MSG had Ramble Ral on the one end, and the Luna II crew on the other, both relatively early. Yes, the Federation was the good guys, and Zeon murdered half the human race, but the Feddies had their share of jackasses, and Zeon had their Rommel types. And yes, later Zeta did have the Titans try to outdo Zeon in the obviously evil department, but they also had their side be the good guys from the last war, and Bright Noa only defected once the series started.

It wasn't like the viewer went "Who is good and who is bad? I have no way of recognizing this in a cartoon made to sell toys to children!", but both shows went out of their way to establish that decent, mostly reasonable people could wind up on the wrong side of the war, and that, although the big picture right and wrong was clear, individual incidents could be much more ambiguous.

Except if Kai should be a snarky rear end in a top hat at someone. That's always the right thing to do.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

chiasaur11 posted:

Except if Kai should be a snarky rear end in a top hat at someone. That's always the right thing to do.

Hey it worked for him through his whole life it seems.

Also, I forgot for some weird reason Reccoa was wearing short rear end shorts while stalking around in the jungles of South America. No wonder she and Kai got on so well, fashion choices!

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

chiasaur11 posted:

MSG had Ramble Ral on the one end, and the Luna II crew on the other, both relatively early. Yes, the Federation was the good guys, and Zeon murdered half the human race, but the Feddies had their share of jackasses, and Zeon had their Rommel types. And yes, later Zeta did have the Titans try to outdo Zeon in the obviously evil department, but they also had their side be the good guys from the last war, and Bright Noa only defected once the series started.

It wasn't like the viewer went "Who is good and who is bad? I have no way of recognizing this in a cartoon made to sell toys to children!", but both shows went out of their way to establish that decent, mostly reasonable people could wind up on the wrong side of the war, and that, although the big picture right and wrong was clear, individual incidents could be much more ambiguous.

The episode about the Zeon soldiers trying to blow up the Gundam even ends with the Zeon soldiers saluting Amuro and the White Base crew's bravery. The politics of the One Year War may be black and White, but it's the series that shows good and bad on both sides more than any other Gundam, except Reconguista in G

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nobody were villains or Heroes in Reconguista in G due to sheer incompetence. People left standing won by default, not because they had a goal, plan or the moral high ground. Except for Kilm trying/killing his father and everyone nearby on a whim.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'd say that Turn-A does a really good job of it too, since both the Amerian forces and the Moonrace are shown to have people who want peace and people who want to start more battles in the name or revenge. Gym and his nutjob second Merrybell are about the only outright evil people in it, and even Merrybell is implied to be that way primarily because Gym raised her. Even Guin is shown to be very much a morally grey character (possibly the most so in the entire franchise) because he wants to advance Amerian/Earth technology and usher in a new golden age but is also open to the seduction of power that comes along with it. Lily even comments late in the show after he's betrayed them to side with Gym that she completely understands why he did it and when they met in the final episode doesn't condemn him for it, only for his attitudes regarding society and being afraid to be himself.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That is pretty explicitly untrue. Some characters were swept along with the flow (Bellri) but the leaders of every faction, including Aida, had pretty firmly sustained goals and some were far shittier than others.

tsob posted:

I'd say that Turn-A does a really good job of it too, since both the Amerian forces and the Moonrace are shown to have people who want peace and people who want to start more battles in the name or revenge. Gym and his nutjob second Merrybell are about the only outright evil people in it, and even Merrybell is implied to be that way primarily because Gym raised her. Even Guin is shown to be very much a morally grey character (possibly the most so in the entire franchise) because he wants to advance Amerian/Earth technology and usher in a new golden age but is also open to the seduction of power that comes along with it. Lily even comments late in the show after he's betrayed them to side with Gym that she completely understands why he did it and when they met in the final episode doesn't condemn him for it, only for his attitudes regarding society and being afraid to be himself.

Turn-A runs into the same thing as a lot of Gundam shows where both sides have opposing interests but eventually they all congeal into a single protagonist faction opposed by the actual villains and maybe their screwed-up lady friends. Which isn't the end of the world but there are very few Gundam shows where you just run into a difference in conflicts that isn't resolve by protagonist-team. The closest is like... AGE and I don't think anyone needs to rant about how utterly hosed up Zeheart is in execution.

It'd be legitimately interesting to see two sympathetic groups of characters forced to fight over irreconcilable differences as the climax to a show but probably too depressing. You could have had it with Destiny if it hadn't been The Right Guys and Shinn's Band Of Suckas And Losers Who Want To Kill Freedom maybe.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jan 24, 2016

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

oohhboy posted:

Nobody were villains or Heroes in Reconguista in G due to sheer incompetence. People left standing won by default, not because they had a goal, plan or the moral high ground. Except for Kilm trying/killing his father and everyone nearby on a whim.

Look we get that you don't like g-reco, but you coming in and going "it sucks i hate it it's garbage" every time it's brought up just makes you unfun to talk to and the thread worse

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

ninjewtsu posted:

the kind of serious moments you'll find in g gundam are the kind where one character has a pathological fear of clowns because in his childhood he went to a circus performance and all the clowns suddenly pulled out assault rifles and revealed themselves as clown terrorists

:stare: wait who the gently caress was this

it's been a while and I think I skipped a few episodes on my last rewatch

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

LORD OF BUTT posted:

:stare: wait who the gently caress was this

it's been a while and I think I skipped a few episodes on my last rewatch

Chibodee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

boom boom boom posted:

The episode about the Zeon soldiers trying to blow up the Gundam even ends with the Zeon soldiers saluting Amuro and the White Base crew's bravery. The politics of the One Year War may be black and White, but it's the series that shows good and bad on both sides more than any other Gundam, except Reconguista in G

I've noticed that trend in a lot of Tomino shows. The people leading the villain faction are usually horrible, corrupt people but the people fighting for them run the gamut wrt that stuff