Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Git Mah Belt Son posted:

I'm a massive Megadeth fan and while I wouldn't say best since Rust in Peace, it is a really good album. I'm thinking for now Bullet to the Brain, cheesy title aside, is my favorite track of the moment. I'm really digging it though. For me it's probably my favorite since the system has failed. It's definitely better than both Thirteen and Super Collider, which granted isn't tough. I didn't hate either of those albums but they're not my favorites by a long shot.
See, I would agree, except I only liked about half of System Has Failed. The other half did nothing for me. Meanwhile, most if not all of Dystopia was really good during my first listen. I'd have to go through it again but I stand by my opinion for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

To me, Megadeth has been unlistenable since Cryptic Writings (and I hated that album at first). They're listenable again! Most of the songs are at least decent if not good, and I actually like the Mega Man song. Not all of the songs really "work" as a whole but it's a big step up from all the poo poo over the past 15 years.

And Dave is getting closer and closer to Al Jourgensen kook levels, which should be annoying but it's oddly charming .

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

yeah but power trip is good and cool

i saw them live and they sounded great

also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hAiCRCPFaM

When they recorded the snare drum separately in a wind tunnel, did they just record the drums like normal then put the treated snare on top of it, or did they initially record on a kit without a snare similar to Dave Lombardo's kit with no cymbals on Show No Mercy?

Gaggins posted:

And Dave is getting closer and closer to Al Jourgensen kook levels, which should be annoying but it's oddly charming .

Apparently he's shopping around a reality show about moving his family to Nashville. Because there's totally an audience for something even more boring than the past two decades of Megadeth.

They should make a show where he and Al Jourgensen are forced to share an apartment Odd Couple style instead.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Jan 23, 2016

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Danny LaFever posted:

Except Black Metal which is at its best when its 100% serious.

Early 90's Scandinavian church burner black metal exists in a state of quantum superposition where it'll never be seen again but is also completely laughable, simultaneously.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

TollTheHounds posted:

Got my pre-order for Abbath and it is a good album! I've been waiting to listen to it until I got the order. :unsmith:

< snip >

It looks like he's still touring too of course so he obviously found some session guys, I think the live show is gonna be loving nuts.

Abbath is in London tonight & I have tickets!

Benighted – 6pm
The Black Dahlia Murder – 6:45pm
Primordial – 8pm
Abbath 9:30pm

HeavingGirth
Oct 6, 2014

Iron Bonehead Productions puts out some good stuff. Unrelated, but we've got two, pushing three, feet of snow here which always compels me to listen to black metal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M6g-6EmJOo

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

DeusExMachinima posted:

Early 90's Scandinavian church burner black metal exists in a state of quantum superposition where it'll never be seen again but is also completely laughable, simultaneously.

This is true, and god bless it for being this way.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

st1LL_51ngl3 posted:

Quit putting a positive spin on things, rear end in a top hat!

e: Seriously, though, I kinda see what he means. At least if it was bad it'd be entertaining to make fun of, but we can't even do that with something that's boringly mediocre.

music isn't like film though. it has to be spectacularly bad to be amusing in any sense, and dream theater were never THAT bad., just kind of crap.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Gaggins posted:

To me, Megadeth has been unlistenable since Cryptic Writings (and I hated that album at first). They're listenable again! Most of the songs are at least decent if not good, and I actually like the Mega Man song. Not all of the songs really "work" as a whole but it's a big step up from all the poo poo over the past 15 years.

Finally got to listen through through the whole album beginning to and and yes, holy poo poo, it's pretty drat good! The title track, Bullet to the brain, Conquer or Die definitely stand out for me so far. Gonna listen a few more times but it's a very solid album in any case. Hope they do a tour because the time I saw them a couple of years ago they were still great live.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

InsidiousMuppet posted:

Iron Bonehead Productions puts out some good stuff.[/video]

I spent $45 between IBP and Nuclear War Now! yesterday and I don't regret my decision one bit.

In addition to that Athanatos demo, I picked up some records by Sacrocurse, Abominator, Irkallian Oracle, Katechon, Shroud Of The Heretic, Sheol, and Infra. I think I'm going to go waste some more money that I don't have on Dark Descent now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3ziIA-oE4A

A TURGID FATSO fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jan 23, 2016

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
megadeth are always great live. i've seen them 5 times and every time even after a kind of average album they've been insanely fun. despite doing the same poo poo for decades dave manages to inject a lot of energy into dawn patrol or peace sells or whatever. the worst show i saw them in was when they were doing a double header with slayer, and that had a lot more to do with slayer than it did with megadeth.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

InsidiousMuppet posted:

Iron Bonehead Productions puts out some good stuff. Unrelated, but we've got two, pushing three, feet of snow here which always compels me to listen to black metal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M6g-6EmJOo

The vocalist looks like a cross between Jack Black and Samwell Tarly

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

mobby_6kl posted:

Finally got to listen through through the whole album beginning to and and yes, holy poo poo, it's pretty drat good! The title track, Bullet to the brain, Conquer or Die definitely stand out for me so far. Gonna listen a few more times but it's a very solid album in any case. Hope they do a tour because the time I saw them a couple of years ago they were still great live.
Yeah, they're going on tour with Suicidal Tendencies, Havok, and Children of Bodom starting February. Seeing them in March and it's going to be killer.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

I'm sorry, but you cannot look like the smelly guy who sat next to me in my intro to linux lab in undergrad who kept calling me a baka gaijin because I wasn't into Animorphs and sing for a black metal band. It's just not done.:colbert:

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

A TURGID FATSO posted:

Irkallian Oracle,

These guys are really good and they have a new album coming out soonish.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
I haven't posted in here in forever but god drat the new Borknagar album is so loving good it hurts. It's really cool hearing Garm, Vortex, and Vintersorg all together on one album

Ex-Priest Tobin
May 25, 2014

by Reene

TollTheHounds posted:

Got my pre-order for Abbath and it is a good album! I've been waiting to listen to it until I got the order. :unsmith:

It looks like he's still touring too of course so he obviously found some session guys, I think the live show is gonna be loving nuts.

London show tonight was pretty low energy and boring. Sounds like his voice is going and the band weren't particularly impressive.

The new stuff does sound like it has some decent hooks though.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
i'm laughing so hard i'm crying

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMPUxtQpGvU

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

Roasted Donut posted:

I haven't posted in here in forever but god drat the new Borknagar album is so loving good it hurts. It's really cool hearing Garm, Vortex, and Vintersorg all together on one album

I didnt know this was coming out. YYYYEAHH MAN.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

That sucked harder than cocksuckers have ever imagined sucking.

What the gently caress happened to you, Phil?

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

DeusExMachinima posted:

That sucked harder than cocksuckers have ever imagined sucking.

What the gently caress happened to you, Phil?

He must have hosed up his voice cocksucking

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Bruce Kison posted:

He must have hosed up his voice cocksucking
he seemed about that drunk when I saw Down not too long ago, but he still sounded pretty good that night thankfully

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
I saw Down in 2008 opening for Metallica and they blew Metallica off the stage. Don't get me wrong, Metallica was great but Down was just on another level. Since then I've heard Phil has his on and off nights, as is usually the case with metal singers who are 50 years old.

Phil just got old and chubby. It was bound to happen sooner or later, especially if his back is as hosed as he says it is.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Holy poo poo. How hammered was Phil?

Cervix-A-Lot
Sep 29, 2006
Cheeeeesy

My god Phil sucks.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Let's honor one of the most distinctive voices in Rock and Roll with this incomprehensive gibberish!

symbolic posted:

Yeah, they're going on tour with Suicidal Tendencies, Havok, and Children of Bodom starting February. Seeing them in March and it's going to be killer.
Just checked it out, might be able to make one of their shows in Germany in June!

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010

Roasted Donut posted:

Don't forget about Lazare, who's underutilized but always good. Garm's only on two songs, but it's cool to hear him on a solid metal album after such a long time, even if he's basically a completely different singer than when he was in Borknagar. He's great on the title track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDrrKv2wjvk

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Robophile posted:

That new Agoraphobic Nosebleed EP is totally out of left field, but it's crushing my rear end right now.

Thanks for the heads up on this. Is this the first of the four or so long-rumored EPs, I wonder?

TeamJesus
Sep 21, 2006

He died for your sins...
Now he's back for your
BRAINS!

Happy Hippo posted:

Thanks for the heads up on this. Is this the first of the four or so long-rumored EPs, I wonder?

Yep, it's Kat Katz' effort. So really sludgey like her Salome work.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Neurosis posted:

music isn't like film though. it has to be spectacularly bad to be amusing in any sense, and dream theater were never THAT bad., just kind of crap.

smdh if you aren't excited about D&D RPG: the album.
Like they literally made their characters in some RPG character maker: http://www.dreamtheater.net/theastonishing?intcmp=151204/dtheater/rr/spl/s_cat/but/ftr/ww/astonishing-preorder-splash_the-astonishing-button

Can't wait to see if they can rocket back to the top of the awful lyrics game with this bad boy. Half expecting Labrie to wail out his character's STR and INT at some point.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Stoat posted:

smdh if you aren't excited about D&D RPG: the album.
What, this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9AvCdRJmoI

Thanks for reminding me, I gotta grab this bad boy.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Ex-Priest Tobin posted:

London show tonight was pretty low energy and boring. Sounds like his voice is going and the band weren't particularly impressive.

The new stuff does sound like it has some decent hooks though.

Yeah, it wasn't the blast I thought it was going to be. I haven't seen Immortal live, but Abbath staggering on stage mid-Primordial made me think he was pissed off his face (and with his own set, came back from having a piss to see Abbath sitting at the back of the stage waggling his feet in the air). Didn't help there were technical problems with cables or FX pedals, plus the sound at the Kentish Town Forum is generally shite. Had to leave early to catch the train home, so didn't get to hear if he played The Storm I Ride (which would have forgiven everything)...

First time I heard Primordial live and thought they were pretty good.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Metal Hammer would like to remind that you that they are a waste of oxygen and serve no useful purpose.

http://metalhammer.teamrock.com/features/2016-01-25/this-is-what-it-sounds-like-when-you-play-every-motorhead-song-at-once

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

The Smart Baseball Dargon Sez:

"Baseball is chaos!"

His bat is signed by Carl "Yaz" Yastrzemski
I'm not sure if it's been mentioned here, but Sigh's most recent album featured a new guitarist by the name of You Oshima. You Oshima is mostly known for an older solo project, Kadenzza, which is actually pretty weird as well, which makes him suitable for playing with Sigh.

Robophile
Apr 20, 2003

We know a remote farm in Lincolnshire, where Mrs. Buckley lives.
The Chthe'ilist debut is streaming here. I'm digging it so far - I haven't heard anyone pull off Demilich worship quite like this before.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Amon Amarth, Entombed and Exmortus touring this spring.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Vintersorg posted:

Not even a Philly show? Okay. :smith:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Vintersorg posted:

Alright I guess I'll go.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

New single from Amon Amarth called First Kill. Typical AA with cheesy video. I can dig it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLh_CJ4G-0Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
I loving love Amon Amarth. Jacking my dick currently.