Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Abu Dave posted:

After you rescue the annoying potato thing and the game opens up, what do you do, just random side missions and explore to get story missions? Is there a ideal set of party members to take or can I just take who I think looks bad rear end

Ahem! Tatsu is NOT potato!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Abu Dave posted:

After you rescue the annoying potato thing and the game opens up, what do you do, just random side missions and explore to get story missions? Is there a ideal set of party members to take or can I just take who I think looks bad rear end

I'm at that point right now, and to do Story Mission 4, you have to have a certain percent of Primordia explored, do the mission where BLADE levels are explained, and do the "Probe-fessional" mission. You can check the requirements at the Barracks. Otherwise, yeah, just take a bunch of missions from the board that are in Primordia and go nuts. You can do multiple missions at one time and it's recommended that you do so, because it's very possible and ideal to collect so many of something for one mission while heading to the zone where you gotta kill sheep for another.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Safety Scissors posted:

I'm trying to do Elma's heart to heart that requires a cat but she's not there. It says something about another heart to heart, but I don't see any other ones for her. I did one with Lin already. Why isn't Elma showing up?

Whenever I got to the affinity chart and hit X for more character info, the game stops responding. It's still running, but I've hit all the buttons and nothing happens.

I had the same confusion. Each character has separate heart-to-hearts, so when it says you need to do the first one as a prerequisite, it means ELMA'S first one. Lin has her own #1, #2, and so on as do others.

No, I don't know where her first heart-to-heart is.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Abu Dave posted:

Take whoever you want. The only thing is that you need to get to one heart with Gwin, Doug, Irina, and Lao, who I think you'll meet soon, since their first affinity missions are required to beat the game, IIRC.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Soooo glad I can skip cutscenes, 4 hours into salvaging my lost progress and ready to start chapter 4... right after I do all the quests I can handle.

Primordia being almost completely dark on the Frontier Nav feels so horrible, that needs to be fixed as soon as my controller recharges.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thanks for the help guys.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
As long as we're talking about early game!

Doing the Probe-fessional quest, I felt like I ended up having to go two-three zones around to find a way to get up to the probe, but then there was a level 45 in the way on a narrow bridge designed to make me hit it. I obviously missed something somewhere, but man, mountains all over reminds me of Skellige in WItcher 3 - everything you want is gonna be on the other side of everything.

Are Affinity hexes always going to have somebody in them to talk about the quest to get them unlocked, or could the unlock be far away? I feel like I've talked to a lotttttt of people without really a hint of what's going on right outside of New LA.

Can I reach Noctilum and Oblivia as a level 14? There are 1-star quests on the board for there, so I assume that's good, and I played enough Xenoblade to know to just avoid the big dudes, but is that *actually* accessible before I wander on out there?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I saw something in the distance and started running there, then swam there, and it turns out it was another continent. If you want to go there, you can probably do it!

Also started swimming around a cliff face overlooking the ocean and found a bonus spot for fast travel. This is a fun exploration game.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Deathlove posted:

As long as we're talking about early game!

Doing the Probe-fessional quest, I felt like I ended up having to go two-three zones around to find a way to get up to the probe, but then there was a level 45 in the way on a narrow bridge designed to make me hit it. I obviously missed something somewhere, but man, mountains all over reminds me of Skellige in WItcher 3 - everything you want is gonna be on the other side of everything.

Are Affinity hexes always going to have somebody in them to talk about the quest to get them unlocked, or could the unlock be far away? I feel like I've talked to a lotttttt of people without really a hint of what's going on right outside of New LA.

Can I reach Noctilum and Oblivia as a level 14? There are 1-star quests on the board for there, so I assume that's good, and I played enough Xenoblade to know to just avoid the big dudes, but is that *actually* accessible before I wander on out there?

You can get to either of those places at any time. They're both connected to Primordia by land, so it's just a simple matter of walking there. Both areas will have low-level enemies scattered among high level ones, so watch what you agro!

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Deathlove posted:

I worried about that for a while but finally figured out how to use my party as meat shields & run right past it

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bruceski posted:

I had the same confusion. Each character has separate heart-to-hearts, so when it says you need to do the first one as a prerequisite, it means ELMA'S first one. Lin has her own #1, #2, and so on as do others.

No, I don't know where her first heart-to-heart is.

Elma's first Heart-to-Heart is at the West Gate. I can't remember if it's during the day or night, but just cycle time at the Barracks and head there when she's suddenly not bending over the console as-usual.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/701151-xenoblade-chronicles-x/72976794

Here's a list to a bunch of heart to hearts.

The best way to run past tough enemies is to already be in combat. If you're not in combat your character will stop once he's sighted. If you're already in combat you can just zoom on by.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Deviant posted:

Ahem! Tatsu is NOT potato!

Man, wanting to eat Tatsu is so funny. Let's have that joke every single time he and Lin are on screen together.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Suspicious Cook posted:

Man, wanting to eat Tatsu is so funny. Let's have that joke every single time he and Lin are on screen together.

Also at the end of every battle Team Tatsu are in.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Got this game with Christmas money, am hopelessly addicted. Enjoyed the first one and despite the flaws this thread has been arguing about I'm loving this one too. The exploration feels miles better and simply being able to run faster and jump so high is a great improvement. Currently between chapters 4 and 5 and slowly acquiring more party members than I know what to do with.

Is there still a goon presence? Do you guys tend to join the same squads? Add me up if so. Or do it anyway. NNID: HammerCountry

The skin colour slider being so open was an amusing way to start. My guy is an alluring shade of Jaundice Yellow

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Sudden Javelin posted:

My guy is an alluring shade of Jaundice Yellow

Just like Bart!

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
I can't unsee my avatar as a Simpsons character now you piece of poo poo

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Yelv's final affinity mission...Yikes.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I wanna do that. Where's the right arm?

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

In Oblivia. There's one by one of the rivers and another in that thin canyon area to the east.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So is there really no ingame way to figure out where certain collectibles spawn? I spent 2 hours wandering around Noctilum picking up random poo poo before I found what I needed. There was zero indication that I had to go to the other side of the continent and crawl through an alien based full of level 40 enemies too find this one item. Then the NPCs I gave it to died offscreen when I completed the quest, as if to mock me. I want to like this game but it doesn't seem to like me.

I could probably look this stuff up but that's a pain in the rear end and also I really don't want to spoil any environments before I see them.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jan 24, 2016

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

So is there really no ingame way to figure out where certain collectibles spawn? I spent 2 hours wandering around Noctilum picking up random poo poo before I found what I needed. There was zero indication that I had to go to the other side of the continent and crawl through an alien based full of level 40 enemies too find this one item.Then the NPCs I gave it too died offscreen when I completed the quest, as if too mock me. I want too like this game but it doesn't seem too like me.

I could probably look this stuff up but that's a pain in the rear end and also I really don't want too spoil any environments before I see them.

Nope, that's one of the big flaws of the game. Same for "go get me some hooves off X, they're in Oblivia" and it turns out two of them spawn in a random-rear end corner.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
This game grabs me. Really grabs me. Right now I'm mincing Millesaurs for their hides so I can make an augment that will let me put anything to sleep, so I can kill the super Millesaur in Oblivia so my Skell becomes harder to kill. I still need to do all the non-affinity missions I unlocked after chapter 12, but I've been murdering so much stuff I'm having a hard time bringing myself to go do it all. I have an Ares 90 in my Hangar gathering dust because the skell I'm using now is so much better for general grinding. Its ridiculous, and really drat fun.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Bruceski posted:

Nope, that's one of the big flaws of the game.

Speaking of which, there's absolutely no way to find party members beyond tapping every blue check mark in FrontierNav until I see the name I want, right? I've been criminally underutilizing non-story characters mainly because finding them is such a PITA.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Internet Kraken posted:

So is there really no ingame way to figure out where certain collectibles spawn? I spent 2 hours wandering around Noctilum picking up random poo poo before I found what I needed. There was zero indication that I had to go to the other side of the continent and crawl through an alien based full of level 40 enemies too find this one item. Then the NPCs I gave it to died offscreen when I completed the quest, as if to mock me. I want to like this game but it doesn't seem to like me.

I could probably look this stuff up but that's a pain in the rear end and also I really don't want to spoil any environments before I see them.

Safety Scissors posted:

I found this thing that lists the location of collectibles in Primordia, Noctilum, and Oblivia. It's in Spanish, but if that's a problem maybe you should stop being a racist.
http://www.3djuegos.com/foros/tema/40606125/0/guia-colecciopedia-en-construccion-primordia-noctilum-y-oblivia/

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Omi no Kami posted:

Speaking of which, there's absolutely no way to find party members beyond tapping every blue check mark in FrontierNav until I see the name I want, right? I've been criminally underutilizing non-story characters mainly because finding them is such a PITA.

Worse than that, after you talk to them there it'll change from the check mark to the "segment complete" gold shield and be completely indistinguishable from the ones in every other map segment. Do yourself a favour and write down their locations as you go, it'll save you a lot of time and frustration.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

I mean, they aren't that hard to remember.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

I'm getting a weird glitch when I go to my equipment screen. It keeps going through every character, and seems to be thinking I'm pressing ZR over and over and over, or holding the button.

It's not a problem with my controller, as no other screen does this. Restarting the game doesn't seem to help either. I can't change equipment now.

edit: lol nevermind, my gamepad was leaning against something. Weird it didn't affect any other screens.

many johnnys fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jan 24, 2016

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I'm exploring Noctilium, which is great, but gently caress those stupid turtles that are disguised as plants and pop out of the ground. They take a long time to kill and follow you forever.

Also lol at who decided to put a weird thing in the middle of a lake that turns into a lv 60 Tyrant when you get near it. I laughed pretty hard as a ran for my life.

On the plus side, I haven't even started chapter 4 and I'm a Samurai Gunner already :v: gotta do every quest bro!!!!

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Xenoblade vs. Xenoblade

Chronicles: an opening scene where you see Dunban fight off hordes of mechon, that doubles as a tutorial. More scenes where you get to know characters and experience the setting for yourself
X: an opening scene where they explain a war between aliens that destroyed earth. Then you wake up from stasis and Elma explains it, again, a second time.

Chronicles: Voice actors throughout the game deliver all their lines with enthusiasm, especially the main cast. You can observe the relationship between Shulk and everyone else not only through cutscenes, but also mid-battle banter.
X: Voice actors sound like they're reading off a sheet. The main character is a blank-faced template, with a dozen voice actors to choose from, and zero lines. This is especially egregious in an early-game scene where the main character gets wounded, is animated as if screaming out in pain, but is completely mute.

Chronicles: Characters are designed with their own signature looks, and they bond and emote as events progress.
X: A collection of creepy doll-faced people lack the ability to do anything other than smile or frown.

Chronicles: Story events proceed like normal. You can take a break and do sidequests and explore more places, or you can get on with the plot.
X: Story events are gated behind arbitrary sidequest completion goals, to try to mask their lack of content.

Chronicles: A variety of good-looking an interesting fantasy environments, most of which look great despite low-resolution textures.
X: Not counting NLA, there seems to be five. Admittedly I'm 24 hours into the game (and yet have only seen three areas). Maybe there's more than five later?

Chronicles: All your party members level up and gain Arte Points as you play. This allows you to play any team you want at any time.
X: Characters not in the current party do not progress. If a character is required for a part of it, you're basically a man down until they catch up (in my current sidequest, I'm down to two).

Chronicles: You can play as any combination of characters.
X: You are not allowed to take the mute avatar person out of your party, ever.

Chronicles: All group members travel together, allowing you to switch characters at any time outside of battle.
X: You have to search for them hanging out somewhere around NLA. There is no map telling you where they are.

Chronicles: You can fast travel to pretty much any landmark you've seen at any time.
X: Many landmarks are gated behind your "mechanical" skill. Hope you've levelled it up!

Chronicles: You can take on as many sidequests as you like simultaneously, receiving rewards as you accomplish their tasks.
X: You now have a limit to the sidequests you can take on.

Chronicles: A brilliantly-scored soundtrack, with each of the dozens of areas having at least two back tracks. The music is also brilliantly directed to affect the mood of the player, and the scenes are directed to get the most out of the music.
X: An anime soundtrack that blares over cutscenes so you can't hear what they're saying. Hope you turned on subtitles. The vocals start to play, while people are talking.

But at least I can jump high

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah not really digging this gamefor some of those same points. It feels just more PS2 era JRPG in it's obtuseness, animeness and sterileness compared to Chronicles which felt...unique.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Xenoblade Chronicles was extremely anime

They definitely made a lot of stuff less convenient which confused me. Like, having to go to a party member to switch them in. And not being able to look at an ally's stats/equipment if they aren't in your party. And there being less places to fast travel to.

But I'm enjoying it so far in spite of that.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I feel like there's actually more fast-travel locations because of how many probes you end up planting, but there's so many steps backwards from the original that it's just really weird. The lack of leaked experience for party members not in the active party's a really weird thing that annoys me since XC's party enjoyed the benefits of leaked experience. Also, not being able to change time of day without going to a rest area is annoying when some things require you to be at a certain place at a specific time of day.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

many johnnys posted:

Chronicles: You can take on as many sidequests as you like simultaneously, receiving rewards as you accomplish their tasks.
X: You now have a limit to the sidequests you can take on.

That isn't true, I have never had a problem picking up tonnes and tonnes of quests.

I will say you can catch characters up VERY fast to your main ones, sort of like Suikoden. I got Irina from 16 - 45 in about an hour. That said I'm level 56 so she's still kinda behind and dies super fast. I find that my party is just Me/Lin/Elma the entire time with a random fourth person. Since you have to use them in every story mission why bother ever using anyone else?

And to Deathlove who asked about the quest markers in the zones - they're only where Affinity quests/Missions end. VERY few of the ones in zones are where the quest starts and there are ZERO affinity missions that begin outside NLA.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
This whole BLADE level thing seems really weird too me and I'm not sure why it even exists. I don't see any reason too leel up anything other then mechanical so you can install the probes and then archaeological for all the other stuff. There are barely any biological objects relative to the other two, unless Sylvelum and Cauldros are completely stuffed with them.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Also lol at who decided to put a weird thing in the middle of a lake that turns into a lv 60 Tyrant when you get near it. I laughed pretty hard as a ran for my life.

Was playing with my little brother watching when I saw that the other day. It immediately screamed "trap" in my mind since this game had already killed me in a bunch of other ways. My brother urging me to poke it over and over confirmed it. He just wanted me too die horribly like he did.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Internet Kraken posted:

This whole BLADE level thing seems really weird too me and I'm not sure why it even exists. I don't see any reason too leel up anything other then mechanical so you can install the probes and then archaeological for all the other stuff. There are barely any biological objects relative to the other two, unless Sylvelum and Cauldros are completely stuffed with them.

Sylvalum has a ton of Biological but Mechanical is still the best to raise first.

That level 60 is probably tied to a level 5 BLADE skill quest. Which is bollocks. I can't believe I've had mechanical 4 since I was 30 hours in and now I'm up to 80. I have the quest for Archeological level 5 but it's FAR too hard and I'm starting to think I'll never have all the probes done. It's a real shame.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

many johnnys posted:

Xenoblade vs. Xenoblade
Chronicles: Story events proceed like normal. You can take a break and do sidequests and explore more places, or you can get on with the plot.
X: Story events are gated behind arbitrary sidequest completion goals, to try to mask their lack of content.
If there's a complaint along these lines for X, its that the best part of the game is self directed exploration, closely followed by side quests. And exploration abilities and side quests are gated behind filler story events.

On a certain level the game might have worked better if it went full MMO and the main story was gameplay light or pure set dressing like an in universe news show to just to set up the circumstances for the superior activities of bushwhacking and inviting all the xenos to NLA in side quests.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Taear posted:

Sylvalum has a ton of Biological but Mechanical is still the best to raise first.

That level 60 is probably tied to a level 5 BLADE skill quest. Which is bollocks. I can't believe I've had mechanical 4 since I was 30 hours in and now I'm up to 80. I have the quest for Archeological level 5 but it's FAR too hard and I'm starting to think I'll never have all the probes done. It's a real shame.

The moment you get an Ares 90, you will be able to cut through both Tyrants those quests need with zero effort at all. Hell, a level 50 Phoenix-G Buster combo with a bunch of Mechanoid Slayers will take care of the Mech 5 one.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Senerio posted:

The moment you get an Ares 90, you will be able to cut through both Tyrants those quests need with zero effort at all. Hell, a level 50 Phoenix-G Buster combo with a bunch of Mechanoid Slayers will take care of the Mech 5 one.

Which doesn't really counter the point, since Mech 4 is obtained in the early game and an Ares 90 is the "you're done" prize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
You can get Mech 5 fairly easy with a level 30 skell with a scythe or gravity buster and a stack of mechanoid slayer XX and a melee accuracy XX augments. Before flying if you are really interested, although you need to be a crazy person to gamble on pulling the boss with such a small window for engagement for something you already spent the last 15 minutes trying to get it to even spawn.

• Locked thread