Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Efexeye posted:

so a $40 HOTAS is pretty much definitely poo poo, right?

Also why should I not buy Saitek?

Thirding that my $30 T Flight Hotas thing is sweet. No idea about longevity, as I've only had it a month, which is where it might fail. But for actually flying a spaceship, it owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuyonthecoucH
Apr 10, 2004

I just got the HOTAS X and it's amazing. Using crabs keybinds for it.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
If they made a version of the HOTAS X with hall effect sensors it would be incredibly good, it's really annoying that the same company makes the best budget stick (T16000M) and best budget HOTAS but don't offer something which combines the strong points of both. The deadzones on the HOTAS X are the only bad thing I can think of once you get a decent button configuration, and they're only an issue occasionally and can be played around.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

^^^ amen to that.

Yes the thrustmaster hotas x is very good for the price, I've bought it for elite 1 year ago and it still works great.

With a modifier button or two you can bind every command you need and the only thing I miss is a second hat switch and more precision, but for the price it's awesome.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
edit: wrong thread

Damone
May 3, 2009

Boogalo posted:

I've also been happy with the Thrustmaster hotas X. Any complaint about it is minor and can be followd up by "but it was only $30". You'd likely have to spend 100+ for something better.

Ditto, only have a minor problem with it which is just personal preference. But overall, a very solid stick. It's nothing fancy but it gets the job done.

And this guy flies like a pro with it.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I bought my X-52 about a year ago and can't complain so far. Ordered it from a local online bookshop (!) which for some reason sells them, price was cheaper than Amazon and it was clearly imported from Russia because the box and manual was in Russian and there was also a scratchcard with 1000 golden eagles for Warthunder inside :D Which is kinda funny because you are better off playing Warthunder with K+M. As for the unit itself no problems whatsoever aside from REALLY crappy drivers, very smooth and pleasant flying especially after I removed throttle detent.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Sekenr posted:

there was also a scratchcard with 1000 golden eagles for Warthunder inside :D Which is kinda funny because you are better off playing Warthunder with K+M.

Not in sim mode, you aren't. :colbert:

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Shine posted:

Not in sim mode, you aren't. :colbert:

Yeah, that's why nobody ever plays sim mode. I only tried it once just because I had HOTAS, shot down an (enemy) bomber completely by accident and then got killed by my own teammate when was trying to find my base to (crash)land and rearm.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Sekenr posted:

Yeah, that's why nobody ever plays sim mode. I only tried it once just because I had HOTAS, shot down an (enemy) bomber completely by accident and then got killed by my own teammate when was trying to find my base to (crash)land and rearm.

To be fair, that experience is how most War Thunder games go in any mode.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
FWIW I'm quite happy with my post-madcatz X52 pro I've had for several months now. However I also wouldn't recommended something that expensive unless you felt certain you were going to get loads of use out of it (e.g., multiple sim games you plan to play or fully accepted your Elite addiction).

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

thanks for the feedback on the sticks y'all, i decided to start with the Thrustmaster X. Not quite as many buttons as I would have liked, can't cut out the kb completely- but it seems like a good start to dip my toe in with. cheers :tipshat:

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
What the gently caress happened at Xihe

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Efexeye posted:

thanks for the feedback on the sticks y'all, i decided to start with the Thrustmaster X. Not quite as many buttons as I would have liked, can't cut out the kb completely- but it seems like a good start to dip my toe in with. cheers :tipshat:

Look back at previous listings for bindings in the thread. You can easily set one or more keys as function type things, so other buttons can do double or triple duty.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Parking enforcement at stations is very strict.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Adult Sword Owner posted:

You should spend more time afk at Skvortsov :colbert:

Edit for babbies first animated

Groggy nard fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Jan 24, 2016

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

So I got my Corvette and took it hunting in a hazres- to be honest I didn't find the Plasma Accelerators or turrets to be of much use. The ship was basically invincible, shield wise, but it felt like it took a year and a half to kill anything even when landing shots and once the PA's were out of ammo it was very ineffective. I swapped to full gimballed pulse lasers, eating the size downgrade on the huge hardpoints, and went back to the hazres- suddenly I was piloting the loving Death Star. Sure, they ate through capacitor even with four pips, but it didn't matter because they vaporized anything smaller than a python in seconds. Had a bit of trouble with the power management on the bigger targets though. And I feel bad about wasting the two huge hardpoints. I might try some combination of gimballed pulse plus PA and see how that works out, I dunno.

In other news I hate myself and am grinding empire rep because I'd like to own a Cutter some day. So far I have visited Tamar, Fehu, Liabeze, and Cubeo. All of them were pretty much worthless for donation missions- at best you'd get 1 per bb refresh, which is nothing on Fed systems like Tun. Anyone have a (recent) good system for the empire? Seems like they've dried up.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Cubeo isn't a donation grind, it's an "assault a land objective" grind.

There's a reddit post detailing it, but the gist is land on some planet in Cubeo, take missions at land outpost A to assault land outpost B, rinse and repeat.

mpyro
Feb 9, 2003

'Cause I live and breathe this Fillydelphia freedom
Read this https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/3y2trw/empire_ranking_in_20_donations_shmonations/

What is your Corvette loadout?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I think I've figured out this powerplay thing. Join the emperor faction that gives you a 20% bonus to bounty hunting then grind up enough merits to go up a rank or two for a boost to the bounty hunting bonus. Farm extraction sites until week 4 then buy that imperial hammer railgun once it unlocks.

I mean grinding favors to 10000 seems do-able I suppose but I find doing frameshift interdiction an immense pain in the rear end because of the waiting. I think I'd rather go back to extraction site farming instead as a more reliable (and fun) earner.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Dabir posted:

NPC scans aren't affected by chaff.
You know i keep reading that and i keep making tons of money despite constantly getting scans and never getting caught thanks to my drop 3 chaffs in 5s technique and i am starting to think it's players who don't know how to use chaff efficiently.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Helter Skelter posted:

Parking enforcement at stations is very strict.

Loitering is a crime punishable by death.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Annath posted:

There's also a rumored decent donation grind there, but it's mostly bunk. I'd read about the land assault thing but didn't have horizons- I went out and got it tonight to give that a try, actually. Currently flying my corvette back to cubeo and boy is that a slog.

This is my HazRES loadout which I'm pretty pleased with. Everything other than weapons seems good- armor isn't too bad for the maneuverability and the shield doesn't go down unless I fight multiple large ships at once (and recharges very quickly). The guns have capacitor issues but that's because I'm firing them all at once- I need to get some fire modes set up and I think that'll solve it. I'll probably keep experimenting with loadouts.
http://coriolis.io/outfit/federal_c...ised%20Corvette

Here's my ground attack build for it- missiles, gimballed beams because why not, and traded the bi-weave shield for a regular because I swapped out some boosters for point defense and wanted to maintain the same overall strength.
http://coriolis.io/outfit/federal_c...0Attack%20Vette

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

Annath posted:

There's a reddit post detailing it, but the gist is land on some planet in Cubeo, take missions at land outpost A to assault land outpost B, rinse and repeat.

I thought they "fixed" Cubeo.

Last weekend I went to Roskam and BB scummed for a bit and loaded up on the Cut the Power and Open the Gate missions which want you to destroy a generator powering a turret.
I'd just fly my vulture about 2km away and beam snipe the generator.
I was getting 2-3 million per run(about 10 minutes).

I tried it again a few days later and it barely gave any of those missions so I gave up and just went back to hunting in a hazres.

My Empire rank did go from 0 to 47% during all that. Any time a donation mission popped up in the list I'd accept it.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

I'm currently using 3 large gimballed beams and the rest multicannons. It's pretty good at murdering the hell out of smaller ships.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Turmoil posted:

I thought they "fixed" Cubeo.

Last weekend I went to Roskam and BB scummed for a bit and loaded up on the Cut the Power and Open the Gate missions which want you to destroy a generator powering a turret.
I'd just fly my vulture about 2km away and beam snipe the generator.
I was getting 2-3 million per run(about 10 minutes).

I tried it again a few days later and it barely gave any of those missions so I gave up and just went back to hunting in a hazres.

My Empire rank did go from 0 to 47% during all that. Any time a donation mission popped up in the list I'd accept it.

Doesn't seem fixed at all, there right now and just loading up on missions. I can't believe they let one generator kill fill 100+ missions at the same time.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Angrymog posted:

Loitering is a crime punishable by death.
Remember: kill your speed, not your credit balance.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

DancingShade posted:

I mean grinding favors to 10000 seems do-able I suppose.
I found it bizarrely easy, yet grindy.
In my case there was a fortify run 17 ly away from the main base.

If you have the cash, one python stocked to the brim with cargo (288T) and kept light with enough D modules should get you around 17.35ly range when fully loaded, two jumps round trip.

It's then trivial to stock up on milk and jump back and fourth. You'll have to pay to reset the quota but you'll hit 10,000 in a couple of evenings worth if you pace yourself. You'll hit 1000 in under two hours: about 5 runs.
You'll still have to wait a month to get the fun guns.

Also if you defect you'll keep your rank, at the cost of everyone hating you for a few days.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Sarsapariller posted:

Corvette stuff

Straight gimballed pulses are hideously boring in a ship this versatile, and are the shield cell banks really even necessary with bi-weave shields and all of that hull reinforcement?

Here's my psuedo multi-role Corvette. Beams+multi-cannons in one fire group for anything you can't catch with the PACs, and PACs+multicannons in a second firegroup to beat the ever-loving poo poo out of everything else. There's plenty of room to tweak things to taste and budget, but if you aren't running dual C4 PACs you are the most boring Rear Admiral to ever fly for the Federal Navy Reserves. :colbert:

Don't forget to swap back to PACs really quick if fighting a small ship and the AI does that thing where it stops and spins in place for a few seconds. :unsmigghh:

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
God I thought I had a bug pop up the first time I saw that. It's not just small ships but I had a fdl and asp do it. For about 30 seconds at a minimum. Just stop and spin. What kind of coding causes that behavior at all is beyond me.

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

Sarsapariller posted:

So I got my Corvette and took it hunting in a hazres- to be honest I didn't find the Plasma Accelerators or turrets to be of much use. The ship was basically invincible, shield wise, but it felt like it took a year and a half to kill anything even when landing shots and once the PA's were out of ammo it was very ineffective. I swapped to full gimballed pulse lasers, eating the size downgrade on the huge hardpoints, and went back to the hazres- suddenly I was piloting the loving Death Star. Sure, they ate through capacitor even with four pips, but it didn't matter because they vaporized anything smaller than a python in seconds. Had a bit of trouble with the power management on the bigger targets though. And I feel bad about wasting the two huge hardpoints. I might try some combination of gimballed pulse plus PA and see how that works out, I dunno.

In other news I hate myself and am grinding empire rep because I'd like to own a Cutter some day. So far I have visited Tamar, Fehu, Liabeze, and Cubeo. All of them were pretty much worthless for donation missions- at best you'd get 1 per bb refresh, which is nothing on Fed systems like Tun. Anyone have a (recent) good system for the empire? Seems like they've dried up.

Sadly I stopped grinding Empire rank for that very reason. There are no good systems.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

So currently I'm in a Vulture which is fully fit, and have 27 million credits in the bank. The next 'upgrade' on the combat path appears to be a Federal Assault Ship, which would cost nearly 70 million to buy and fit. I'd also presumably need to figure out how to get Fed rank to buy it. The next one that looks like an upgrade and doesn't require rank, to my completely novice eye is the FDL, which is something like 85m to buy and fit.

Is there anything else that would be an upgrade from the Vulture for combat that isn't so much more expensive, or is this it?

alr
May 14, 2009
Even a D ranked FAS is fun as gently caress. Mine's still on the path to getting everything to A and with 3 PACs and a cannon is the most fun with combat I've had in the game so far.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

timn posted:

Straight gimballed pulses are hideously boring in a ship this versatile, and are the shield cell banks really even necessary with bi-weave shields and all of that hull reinforcement?

Here's my psuedo multi-role Corvette. Beams+multi-cannons in one fire group for anything you can't catch with the PACs, and PACs+multicannons in a second firegroup to beat the ever-loving poo poo out of everything else. There's plenty of room to tweak things to taste and budget, but if you aren't running dual C4 PACs you are the most boring Rear Admiral to ever fly for the Federal Navy Reserves. :colbert:

Don't forget to swap back to PACs really quick if fighting a small ship and the AI does that thing where it stops and spins in place for a few seconds. :unsmigghh:

It's the first ship I've ever run with SCB's- before this I was in a vulture and had no power- so I couldn't really say if they were necessary. I deliberately let the shields drop a couple times to test out the tankiness and didn't have too much trouble, so- probably not? But it's not like there's anything more combat related that you can do with a C7 slot, so why not. I am a min-maxer at heart, especially since you apparently don't lose any of the cost of modules when you sell them, so I tend to outfit for whatever I'm up to that day- if I'm going to go do something other than HazRES I'll likely refit the whole thing.

Pulses are hideously boring, but given that the best way to kill (or at least disable) big ships quickly is still powerplant sniping, they're way more effective vs anything else I've tried. 7 gimballed pulses will kill an Anaconda's PP in about 10 seconds from shields down. I might be able to get it faster with good PA shots but in my hour or so using them they mostly seemed pretty difficult to hit a pinpoint target like the PP with. It actually took me 20 minutes to realize the little circle was actually a lead indicator for them- after that it was no trouble to land them on a target, but they were mostly just hull/shield pulverizers which isn't really necessary if the ship's disabled.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Back from doing a bit of exploring. I liked this one:

No Thargoids, sadly.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I must be missing something gigantically simple but how the hell do I deliver the meta alloys for the CG? I can't see any menu for it. Do i just sell them to the station and it counts towards it?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I must be missing something gigantically simple but how the hell do I deliver the meta alloys for the CG? I can't see any menu for it. Do i just sell them to the station and it counts towards it?

Yep! Just make sure you've actually signed on to the community goal first, or it won't count

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Is there a list of locations to find barnacles readily available?

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Strategic Tea posted:

Yep! Just make sure you've actually signed on to the community goal first, or it won't count

Cool thanks! 32t of meta alloys sells for 2.9m and then the potential tier reward. Pretty slick :D

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Is there a list of locations to find barnacles readily available?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1bichQJBbL9ygW1xXc3GQhC5KT-o9u05ihWKXebt4BcM/edit#gid=223643326

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Sarsapariller posted:

It's the first ship I've ever run with SCB's- before this I was in a vulture and had no power- so I couldn't really say if they were necessary. I deliberately let the shields drop a couple times to test out the tankiness and didn't have too much trouble, so- probably not? But it's not like there's anything more combat related that you can do with a C7 slot, so why not. I am a min-maxer at heart, especially since you apparently don't lose any of the cost of modules when you sell them, so I tend to outfit for whatever I'm up to that day- if I'm going to go do something other than HazRES I'll likely refit the whole thing.

Pulses are hideously boring, but given that the best way to kill (or at least disable) big ships quickly is still powerplant sniping, they're way more effective vs anything else I've tried. 7 gimballed pulses will kill an Anaconda's PP in about 10 seconds from shields down. I might be able to get it faster with good PA shots but in my hour or so using them they mostly seemed pretty difficult to hit a pinpoint target like the PP with. It actually took me 20 minutes to realize the little circle was actually a lead indicator for them- after that it was no trouble to land them on a target, but they were mostly just hull/shield pulverizers which isn't really necessary if the ship's disabled.
I prefer to fly it like a bigger version of KakerMix's Python (Beams/Cannons) although I've traded the cannons for multicannons since the Corvette's not really fast enough to close to the range I'm comfortable using cannons at. It's got a PDS one size larger than the Python so it can fire the beams even longer (can still do a single beam indefinitely with 4 pips to weapons) and the med/small multis help chew through either subsystems or smaller craft like eagles/vipers.

Really though I just want C3 multicannons and C4 beams.

• Locked thread