Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Honestly, though, he does kind of have a point. Cumpa had completely lost control of the situation by two-thirds of the way through, the Dorette Fleet and (especially) the G-IT Corps were sheltered, entitled rich kids trying to be scary badasses, Mask had largely forgotten his goal of Kuntala liberation and was just operating off a Pavlovian rage response that kicked in whenever he saw the G-Self, and President Niccini was just an idiot manchild in love with his shiny new toys. About the only competent, malevolent villain in some position of control was Jugan, that black Capital Army commander with the dreads, and he was really just a middle-manager who was treated utterly offhandedly by both the show and the cast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Droyer posted:

Look we get that you don't like g-reco, but you coming in and going "it sucks i hate it it's garbage" every time it's brought up just makes you unfun to talk to and the thread worse
The ability to advance their plans/goal/morals makes Heroes/Villains/Factions. If showing up, get killed was the best they could do then their were horribly incompetent.

Guin was far too greedy and self delusional. He had the front row seat to the people who were willing to talk to him for two years. Instead of negotiating for technology in exchange for land or becoming a client state, he builds up a Militia he quickly loses control of. Bless his heart he keeps trying to get back on top but he is too clever but too stupid to know that his gambits aren't going to work as he isn't in position to make them work or demands too much. He was a fine industrialist, but a terrible leader.

ImpAtom posted:

It'd be legitimately interesting to see two sympathetic groups of characters forced to fight over irreconcilable differences as the climax to a show but probably too depressing. You could have had it with Destiny if it hadn't been The Right Guys and Shinn's Band Of Suckas And Losers Who Want To Kill Freedom maybe.
08th MS team/080 is the closest you will get in Gundam. Note they are both grunt shows and 080 ends really depressingly. SEED does this during the first half before it gets resolved as does GSD to a point. But it has to end and whoever is still standing likely ends up as the heroes regardless of right or wrong of their morally equal factions unless they take the third option or commit some war crimes to win.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

It'd be legitimately interesting to see two sympathetic groups of characters forced to fight over irreconcilable differences as the climax to a show but probably too depressing. You could have had it with Destiny if it hadn't been The Right Guys and Shinn's Band Of Suckas And Losers Who Want To Kill Freedom maybe.

Read Thunderbolt. Well, if you don't mind it getting depressing, anyway.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

oohhboy posted:

08th MS team/080 is the closest you will get in Gundam. Note they are both grunt shows and 080 ends really depressingly. SEED does this during the first half before it gets resolved as does GSD to a point. But it has to end and whoever is still standing likely ends up as the heroes regardless of right or wrong of their morally equal factions unless they take the third option or commit some war crimes to win.

Even 08th is like Evil Wombot. 0080 is true though, you're right, it was exactly what I was thinking of and I'm not sure why I forgot it.

Darth Walrus posted:

Read Thunderbolt. Well, if you don't mind it getting depressing, anyway.

I said sympathetic!

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jan 24, 2016

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Even 08th is like Evil Wombot. 0080 is true though, you're right, it was exactly what I was thinking of and I'm not sure why I forgot it.

I said sympathetic!

Hey, Io may be a dick, but he's not evil, and his buddies bring the Federation sympathy pretty comfortably.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

ImpAtom posted:

That is pretty explicitly untrue. Some characters were swept along with the flow (Bellri) but the leaders of every faction, including Aida, had pretty firmly sustained goals and some were far shittier than others.

Turn-A runs into the same thing as a lot of Gundam shows where both sides have opposing interests but eventually they all congeal into a single protagonist faction opposed by the actual villains and maybe their screwed-up lady friends. Which isn't the end of the world but there are very few Gundam shows where you just run into a difference in conflicts that isn't resolve by protagonist-team. The closest is like... AGE and I don't think anyone needs to rant about how utterly hosed up Zeheart is in execution.

The movies fix it. They've patched that story

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

boom boom boom posted:

The movies fix it. They've patched that story

lol at this

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

ImpAtom posted:

The closest is like... AGE and I don't think anyone needs to rant about how utterly hosed up Zeheart is in execution.

Having not seen Age, and having been warned thoroughly enough to not want to suffer through it myself, I actually would be interested to hear about this.

I mean, I've read a few things about it before, but all I can really remember is "MAAAAAARS RAAAAAYS!", "Genocide Grandpa", and "the third act's protagonist is like Kira from SEED, only somehow even more insufferable".

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

The Sandman posted:

Having not seen Age, and having been warned thoroughly enough to not want to suffer through it myself, I actually would be interested to hear about this.

I mean, I've read a few things about it before, but all I can really remember is "MAAAAAARS RAAAAAYS!", "Genocide Grandpa", and "the third act's protagonist is like Kira from SEED, only somehow even more insufferable".

Zeheart is the series' Char, and is depicted as a generally reasonable guy. He's not crazy, he cares about his subordinates, he co-operates with the enemy to save innocent lives. Good guy. Then the head bad guy reveals his full evil plan, which is the dumbest, most retarded, murderous plan ever. It makes no sense and is just killing tons of people for no reason. Zeheart immediately says, "gently caress yeah, pointless murder! let's do it!" No explanation. He's just down for crazy genocide out of nowhere

As I said, they fix it in the movies. They add stuff that shows that Zeheart is super messed up by the deaths of his subordinates. He has dreams where they come to him and blame him for their deaths. He's super hosed by it. So when the big head bad guy reveals his crazy plan, Zeheart basically goes, "if this whole time we've been fighting for insane nonsense, then all those people died for nothing. I can't accept that, so clearly this is a really great plan in a way I just don't understand. I have to go full bore on this plan, because if I accept that it's a bad plan, all my subordinates wasted their lives."

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I'm pretty sure I'm the one who tends to describe some of the simpler suits as "elegant" in the Gundam threads. Usually because I'm talking about either the Unicorn ...

Wait, the Unicorn? Simple??

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Ka0 posted:

Eh, I'd argue it's fairly simple in Unicorn mode.

Problems like that are easily fixed though :kheldragar:

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Keep the gunpla in the gunpla thread, please

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

If it existed in sketch form I'd post that. But it doesn't. (Unfortunately, I'd get a poster made of it :swoon:)

Chill, dude.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Charmuro!

Seriously, first time I saw that on YouTube I laughed my head off had a good time.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

that Unicorn may actually be uglier than Destroy Mode :gonk:

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

dogsicle posted:

that Unicorn may actually be uglier than Destroy Mode :gonk:

What? Why?

What subtleties of robot design am I missing here? It just looks like the same unicorn, simple silhouette intact, with more detail added to the metal plating

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Ka0 posted:

I was mostly talking about the silhouette.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

What? Why?

What subtleties of robot design am I missing here? It just looks like the same unicorn, simple silhouette intact, with more detail added to the metal plating

i like the Unicorn because it's monochrome and doesn't have a ton of detail. adding that stuff and panel lining it makes it stick out in a way that ruins the design for me.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Thank you

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!
Taking something that's supposed to be pure white and covering it in lots of little red warning stickers is a terrible idea to begin with. You're completely defeating the point of its core design.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

What little red warning stickers? It still looks completely white to me

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ninjewtsu posted:

What little red warning stickers? It still looks completely white to me

Look at the Katoki Unicorn design.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I really like the Unicorn, but I'd love it more if it didn't have the transforming gimmick and the dumb horn were replaced with a head camera crest.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Midjack posted:

Look at the Katoki Unicorn design.

i did a google search for that and came up with nothing that looked like a unicorn with red stickers all over it. i don't remember anything being posted in the thread that was a unicorn design with lots of red stickers on it. also no one mentioned katoki before you, that post read very much to me like they were talking about the already posted images of a unicorn model. what am i missing here? i'm pretty confused right now

is this supposed to be about destroy mode?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I just don't like Unicorn Destroy Mode at all. I like the base unit but the transformed form just looks gaudy to me.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I really like the Unicorn, but I'd love it more if it didn't have the transforming gimmick and the dumb horn were replaced with a head camera crest.

"I really like the Unicorn but, I'd love it more if it didn't have the only part of its design that makes it resemble its namesake."

I agree with you about most of the transformation gimmick. But even so, the Unicorn unic-owns.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

ninjewtsu posted:

i did a google search for that and came up with nothing that looked like a unicorn with red stickers all over it. i don't remember anything being posted in the thread that was a unicorn design with lots of red stickers on it. also no one mentioned katoki before you, that post read very much to me like they were talking about the already posted images of a unicorn model. what am i missing here? i'm pretty confused right now

The ver.Ka MG Unicorn does have red stickers kind of all over the place, it's hard to see in this but I can't find a better picture:

They're barely noticeable, though. A lot of people can't stand Katoki's tendency to shove decals onto every square millimetre of a design, but I find they tend to look pretty cool, with one or two exceptions (the ver.Ka nu Gundam loses what makes the nu Gundam look cool).

The one that was posted wasn't ver.Ka but a third-party redesign that adds a ton more greebles to the Unicorn's surface, which again, I find kind of works. It breaks up what is otherwise a very flat/smooth surface, which looks pretty good in lineart/animation but tends to make model kits look kind of boring.

Well Manicured Man posted:

"I really like the Unicorn but, I'd love it more if it didn't have the only part of its design that makes it resemble its namesake."a

Well, yes, unironically. :v: I like the Unicorn because it's very streamlined and silhouette-wise, it's basically a souped-up Jesta. Its head is one of the few Gundam heads I actually like, except for the horn.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jan 24, 2016

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Lemon Curdistan posted:

The one that was posted wasn't ver.Ka but a third-party redesign that adds a ton more greebles to the Unicorn's surface, which again, I find kind of works. It breaks up what is otherwise a very flat/smooth surface, which looks pretty good in lineart/animation but tends to make model kits look kind of boring.

This is pretty much how I feel about it. The problem with the PG Unicorn in my book is that it's just kind of an upsized MG, and for that price, I'd like it to stand out a bit more from the rest of them, ya know?

Speaking of Katoki decals though, I'm generally okay with them, but - and maybe this is only me - I find the red decals to stand out way more on the other unicorn versions, to the point where I kind of hate them. The base ones look fine because they match the red psychoframe, but it looks really off if you have a green/blue frame in there. Though I guess that's what custom decals are for.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Droyer posted:

Keep the gunpla in the gunpla thread, please

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

It's a conversation about mobile suit designs, it's not gunpla posts. Chill out, Droyer.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ninjewtsu posted:

Here's the decal sheet for it.

There are over 100 little red stickers that are supposed to go all over it. They are not easy to see unless you are right up close to it or you are looking at a fairly high-res image.

The MG ver Ka was the first Unicorn kit to come out and, because it has such simple colors, the Katoki detail addition in the redesign really stood out on it.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

It's a conversation about mobile suit designs, it's not gunpla posts. Chill out, Droyer.

they're literally talking about decals and model grades...i don't think his complaint is unwarranted

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

dogsicle posted:

they're literally talking about decals and model grades...i don't think his complaint is unwarranted

Who cares? Droyer is sounding whiny.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

dogsicle posted:

It's fair to want to keep the plamo discussion to the plamo thread but it's silly to complain about people using gunpla kits to illustrate points they're making about the design of mobile suits, IMO.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jan 24, 2016

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

dogsicle posted:

lmao

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

you won't win against the toy people, just let them have this thread too

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I wanna talk about how much I love Gaia Gear, but I'm the only one who's watched those youtube translations of the Radio Drama so it would just be me monologuing.

And I know you never monologue.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

MonsieurChoc posted:

I wanna talk about how much I love Gaia Gear, but I'm the only one who's watched those youtube translations of the Radio Drama so it would just be me monologuing.

oh shiiiit the radio drama's translated?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

You should post about Gaia Gear.