Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Rand Paul debate market still bouncing around in the 50/50 range, get in while you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gibberish
Sep 17, 2002

by R. Guyovich
I bought like 10 shares of it when it was at 0.10 on a lark

I regret not getting 100 of it or something

Gibberish
Sep 17, 2002

by R. Guyovich
and gently caress everything there's no good penny stocks right now, everything is at like 70/30% at best, no long shots to be seen

I wish PredictIt had more frequent new markets

only 99/1 market right now is Bush out before Iowa and there's no loving way he's out before Iowa so I'm not wasting my $1

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Gibberish posted:

I wish PredictIt had more frequent new markets
To be honest it seems like they've been cranking them out lately.

Gibberish
Sep 17, 2002

by R. Guyovich
once we get closer to iowa it's gonna be more fun but i just hate the waiting

caucus season should be profitable tho

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

So just how much cash have some of you dumped into this? I've deposited a grand total of 70 bucks at this point into a couple fairly sure bet markets. I'm too poor to be gambling, really.

Gibberish
Sep 17, 2002

by R. Guyovich
invested $40 once and turned it into around $250 after a few weeks

in fact if you run out of money from your first initial deposit you should probably not us this site

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

I've turned $200 into $275 over four months, which sounds like the worst return in the entire thread

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

I haven't dropped below my initial deposits, even during my worst week.

huge pile of hamburger
Nov 4, 2009
More than I care to admit.

Gibberish
Sep 17, 2002

by R. Guyovich
not sure why this was ever as low as it was but i'll take the free $25

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Gibberish posted:

not sure why this was ever as low as it was but i'll take the free $25

Winner winner chicken dinner

Gibberish
Sep 17, 2002

by R. Guyovich
Honestly I should just dump all my money into that but I'd save money for some YES buy orders on the obama weekly market since it's most fun market to play on the site

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Gibberish posted:

Honestly I should just dump all my money into that but I'd save money for some YES buy orders on the obama weekly market since it's most fun market to play on the site

That's the main spot I lost money on last week ouch!

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
I've deposited ~$1,000 and my total balance is now at $1,300. I think I'm probably one of the most conservative betters in this thread and a 30% return is pretty drat good. I should note that ~$750 was originally tied up in arbitrating the RNOM market but that paid out super early with the market linking so now I've just been using volume to vacuum up sure bets.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Garrand posted:

So just how much cash have some of you dumped into this? I've deposited a grand total of 70 bucks at this point into a couple fairly sure bet markets. I'm too poor to be gambling, really.

I'm in 330, down 40, up 60 if Hillary wins Iowa. (down 140 if she loses)

I'm doing it stupid and actually waiting for payouts though. I should be reading the markets like most of the successful posters itt, and will begin doing so after the Iowa caucuses.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

I turned $500 into $220 in my first month on some disastrous bets. I lost about $125 on Carly and got burned in the Obama markets. I'm now at $680, mostly by not making huge individual bets and not having anymore huge losses. I'd be rich now if I'd figured out how to do that sooner.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I deposited $70, went down to $25 at my lowest. Highest worth was $240, I'm at $210 right now. Big winners were Greek rejection of their referendum, McCarthy Speaker, Biden Run and Rahm Resign. Oh yeah, also Rajoy NO.

Biggest losers were Greek pullout of the EU and this stupid loving Jeb Dropout before Iowa market goddamn

i say swears online has issued a correction as of 02:47 on Jan 25, 2016

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Oh I forgot about this market, free money: https://www.predictit.org/Contract/1792/Will-a-federal-criminal-charge-be-filed-against-Hillary-Clinton-in-2016

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Necc0 posted:

I've deposited ~$1,000 and my total balance is now at $1,300. I think I'm probably one of the most conservative betters in this thread and a 30% return is pretty drat good.

I put in about 800 and am at about 1500 with lots in Hillary winning the nom (not Iowa, Dem Nom overall). Do we need to report this to the IRS?

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

JosefStalinator posted:

I put in about 800 and am at about 1500 with lots in Hillary winning the nom (not Iowa, Dem Nom overall). Do we need to report this to the IRS?

If you make $600 (taking into effect the 5% withdrawal fee) or more they will report it for you and send you a form W2-G.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

a cop posted:

I'm in 330, down 40, up 60 if Hillary wins Iowa. (down 140 if she loses)

I'm doing it stupid and actually waiting for payouts though. I should be reading the markets like most of the successful posters itt, and will begin doing so after the Iowa caucuses.

Iowa is fairly uncertain to be betting on the outcome like that. New Hamshire sanders is a safe bet, so is trump in most early states.

The polling markets like approval percentage are pretty volatile which is good for making cash but they are risky.

Good luck even though I want sanders to win iowa

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

That's a safe one but the time frame is just so long.

If I were gonna put money on this I would put a buy offer for yes a low price and then just wait for some stupid news story to spike the market and flip it

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Commie NedFlanders posted:

Iowa is fairly uncertain to be betting on the outcome like that. New Hamshire sanders is a safe bet, so is trump in most early states.

The polling markets like approval percentage are pretty volatile which is good for making cash but they are risky.

Good luck even though I want sanders to win iowa

Yeah, I like the rush, but it's definitely a stupid bet compared to be what I could be doing.

huge pile of hamburger
Nov 4, 2009

Still haven't gotten my 1099 from them. Curious as to what they peg me at.

Thinking I can clean up at least 10% in all the certain primary markets basically. If I can do that, its better returns that anything I've been able to get so far. There really is so many easy opportunities here its not even funny.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
My strategy is to go through the different markets that are susceptible to media hypes, like that one, and buy a small handful of shares just so it's easier to keep an eye on. Every couple days I compare my purchase price to the market price and if I notice any huge swings I act on it. It's easier this way because sometimes the AM crowd works themselves into a frothing frenzy in their own bubble due to no outside stimulus. I really don't like putting in purchase orders due to the risk of poo poo going sideways. I've seen too many people get burned by that.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

watwat posted:

Thinking I can clean up at least 10% in all the certain primary markets basically. If I can do that, its better returns that anything I've been able to get so far. There really is so many easy opportunities here its not even funny.

drat. Please post every buy so I can mimic you and make like 10% less tia.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

My job keeps me away from a computer for 8 hours a day so sadly I can't take advantage of those market swings.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Oh poo poo they just opened up an API yesterday: https://predictit.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/12000001878-does-predictit-make-market-data-available-via-an-api-

Think I might start working on my automatic arbitrage bot again

watwat posted:

Typically for investments & gambling it's only based on your final profit / loss. Your shares that are still 'live' won't count for tax reporting purposes. Only when you convert it back into real money.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Garrand posted:

My job keeps me away from a computer for 8 hours a day so sadly I can't take advantage of those market swings.

Dude that's probably even better for you, just put in your buy and sell offers and wait for returns. It's way easier to lose money during emotional market swings in the heat of the moment

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

a cop posted:

drat. Please post every buy so I can mimic you and make like 10% less tia.

Stock market gurus charge a fee for this kind of service

huge pile of hamburger
Nov 4, 2009
The Bloomberg run market is up!

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
:dance: :snoop: BIDEN.RUN is back baby!! :homebrew: :sotw:

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Necc0 posted:

:dance: :snoop: BIDEN.RUN is back baby!! :homebrew: :sotw:

84c is way too high to be celebrating.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

I think Ted Cruz for 2nd place in NH is very undervalued considering the last two polls and the rcp average have him in second

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/nh/new_hampshire_republican_presidential_primary-3350.html

thethreeman
May 10, 2008
Fallen Rib
has bloomberg actually ever SAID anything about running?

Per the rules, the FEC filing is the same requirement as the Webb market, right? If he actually IS exploring a run, submitting the filing isn't a huge deal - e.g. the top article on Webb's campaign site from a couple weeks ago starts with "While no firm decision has been made about a run..." even though he submitted the filing shortly after leaving the Dem primary

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

EngineerSean posted:

84c is way too high to be celebrating.

Just wait I got a feeling about this. This thing's gonna get volatile.

thethreeman posted:

has bloomberg actually ever SAID anything about running?

Per the rules, the FEC filing is the same requirement as the Webb market, right? If he actually IS exploring a run, submitting the filing isn't a huge deal - e.g. the top article on Webb's campaign site from a couple weeks ago starts with "While no firm decision has been made about a run..." even though he submitted the filing shortly after leaving the Dem primary

No but there's a media hype frenzy and that's all we need

Necc0 has issued a correction as of 05:46 on Jan 25, 2016

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Oh this is great. thanks!

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

I'm not understanding what I'm seeing here. Can someone explain?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

FourLeaf posted:

I'm not understanding what I'm seeing here. Can someone explain?

He owns $704 of Bernie YES and $850 of Hillary NO in New Hampshire. His expected payout if he's right is $2,123, meaning he gets a profit of 2123 - (704+850) = $569, or 37%.

i think

• Locked thread