Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DotyManX
Aug 9, 2004
Yeah I drive a minivan, big deal, wanna fight about it?

VoteTedJameson posted:

Grad student: "Using a ruler to measure something is a colonial undertaking." You see measuring makes a thing knowable, which makes a thing controllable. This is "the crux of imperialism."

Not a joke. This occurred.

This sounds like it came from the villain's monologue in a JRPG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

The guy who does all my tattoos is utterly loving bonkers but he's a great artist and I already paid him a grand over the past few years so I'm stuck with the rear end in a top hat.

Highlights;
There are ghosts living in the shop. They know this cause it gets cold sometimes.
The government have spaceships capable of housing 150~ people. I think the Navy owns it?
The moon landing was fake
Bigfoot is real, he once had a huge boulder hurled at his van or something when camping. They're everywhere.

There was also a guy at work who would come in looking to have some poo poo installed on his company iPad every few weeks. He said that the flouresent lights in the building was some kind of nano-brain-wave thing that implanted cameras inside your brain. That was p cool.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Did none of those geography morons go to grade school? I learned geography at least three times and it was required to take US history in high school, which I assume is true in ever state.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Thin Privilege posted:

Did none of those geography morons go to grade school? I learned geography at least three times and it was required to take US history in high school, which I assume is true in ever state.

A poor assumption.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Thin Privilege posted:

My AP US History teacher got so goddamn caught up in WWI that we ran out of time before we covered anything past about 1920. :( I was very much against taking the AP test, since clearly I wasn't prepared, but my teacher badgered me into it, called me at home to ask after my results, then seemed surprised when I didn't score well enough to get college credits.

This was at a very good private high school in the upper Midwest. The teacher retired a couple years back, about fifteen years late.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

Choco1980 posted:

My ex wife was from California, I'm from Michigan. The first time I visited her and her family I was asked if I had needed to get a passport.

:aaa:

VoteTedJameson
Jan 10, 2014

And stack the four!
Guy:"Not only can a dust mite survive at ground zero of a nuclear blast, scientists debate whether they're even biologically alive."

Me: Where did you find this out?

Guy: "For fun I read biology encyclopedias"

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

VoteTedJameson posted:

Guy:"Not only can a dust mite survive at ground zero of a nuclear blast, scientists debate whether they're even biologically alive."

Me: Where did you find this out?

Guy: "For fun I read biology encyclopedias"

I'm not even sure what this guy was thinking of because dust mites don't fit either of those facts. Was he thinking of water bears or something? Cause even with those I don't think they can survive a direct nuclear bomb and they're definitely recognized as living animals.

The only things I can even think of that have a complicated answer to "are they alive" are viruses, and even with them the growing consensus is that they are in fact living

http://www.sciencealert.com/viruses-are-alive-and-they-re-older-than-modern-cells-new-study-suggests

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Choco1980 posted:

I thought Traveler was the new un-PC thing to call Romany now that in this day and age nobody knows that Gypsy is a slur.

Everything PC eventually becomes a terrible slur after a decade or so.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

The guy who does all my tattoos is utterly loving bonkers but he's a great artist and I already paid him a grand over the past few years so I'm stuck with the rear end in a top hat.

Highlights;
There are ghosts living in the shop. They know this cause it gets cold sometimes.

If they're "living" they might just be customers. :)

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Mak0rz posted:

In Europe there are many shades of white.

50 Shades of White, perhaps? :haw:

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Aesop Poprock posted:

I'm not even sure what this guy was thinking of because dust mites don't fit either of those facts. Was he thinking of water bears or something? Cause even with those I don't think they can survive a direct nuclear bomb and they're definitely recognized as living animals.

The only things I can even think of that have a complicated answer to "are they alive" are viruses, and even with them the growing consensus is that they are in fact living

http://www.sciencealert.com/viruses-are-alive-and-they-re-older-than-modern-cells-new-study-suggests

Yeah tardigrades are sturdy as hell, but not invincible, and everyone knows they are alive. I remember someone talking about how fire fulfills a majority of the requirements for being considered "alive", even more than some of the more basic viruses.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I just remembered another good Catholicism one. One of my coworkers at a previous job not only claimed that Catholics aren't Christian, but that they were a completely separate religion with no common roots. I tried explaining the Protestant Reformation and was told that it didn't happen and that Catholicism and Christianity had always been different things. I wish I could remember his explanation, it was a bizarre alternate history conspiracy theory.

Thin Privilege posted:

Freshman year of high school, our US history teacher jokingly asked for a volunteer who was really bad at geography. A bunch of people raised their hands and he said "not just bad, really really bad" and picked one of the few people who still had a hand up. She couldn't find Europe on the map.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Fashionable Jorts posted:

I remember someone talking about how fire fulfills a majority of the requirements for being considered "alive", even more than some of the more basic viruses.

Fitting anecdote for this thread IMO.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

GWBBQ posted:

Freshman year of high school, our US history teacher jokingly asked for a volunteer who was really bad at geography. A bunch of people raised their hands and he said "not just bad, really really bad" and picked one of the few people who still had a hand up. She couldn't find Europe on the map.

Was your history teacher Ben Carson?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

GWBBQ posted:

I just remembered another good Catholicism one. One of my coworkers at a previous job not only claimed that Catholics aren't Christian, but that they were a completely separate religion with no common roots. I tried explaining the Protestant Reformation and was told that it didn't happen and that Catholicism and Christianity had always been different things. I wish I could remember his explanation, it was a bizarre alternate history conspiracy theory.

Your co-worker wasn't Jack Chick, was he?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

sudont posted:

When I was living in California and hadn't gotten a CA driver's license, three times when I was carded I was denied service because the clerk had never heard of Rhode Island. Once was in Gilroy at a liquor store, once was somewhere else around there. The worst was the gas station attendant in San Jose--granted, he was not an American native, but I not only had my RI license but a car with RI plates on it. Yep, I make my own license plates just so I can buy cigarettes!

I once stopped to get gas at a station that doesn't require you to prepay. They couldn't see my front license plate from the angle I was parked so I had to go in. 16 year old me was like "yeah gently caress you guys I'm not prepaying" and took my license plate in for them to see and I was still refused because "real license plates have the numbers dented in and that one isn't." Apparently custom plates aren't stamped and no one told them. I took my money across the street at that point.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Mostly old co-workers again:

"6,000 years is a long time. It's longer than anyone can really think. That's why Earth is only that old because that's as much history that a person can remember."
[Hey, let me talk to you about a little thing called "The Future" (and you're a loving moron, besides)]

(During and after Katrina)
"No one should live so close to water. I don't think that humans understand the dangers in the ocean."

"My kid faked being sick this morning and I had to yell at him so much before he would get to school. He must have stolen a can of soup or something because the puke on his floor was probably fake."
-Award winning single mother of 7 at the age of 25.

"Ghosts are absolutely real and I know or else why would there be so many good TV shows about them?"

"Nine slash eleven [sic] was faked. I've been there. I've been to ground zero. I've seen the craters and the debris. I've seen all the footage and I know it was faked. Absolutely. You could see shovel marks in the dirt."

"Prison was the best part of my divorce."

Work in government, meet fancy new people.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Inzombiac posted:

(During and after Katrina)
"No one should live so close to water. I don't think that humans understand the dangers in the ocean."

Did this person have jagged scar on one side of their face, a glass eye, a salt and pepper beard, a hook for a hand, a gravelly voice, and a permanent scowl?

Because that's all I can imagine and I'd rather not spoil the fantasy.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Bertrand Hustle posted:

America has enough white people, go back to Whitelandia.

The immigrant whites are probably better than the natives.

...which means we're hosed.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Inzombiac posted:

Mostly old co-workers again:

"6,000 years is a long time. It's longer than anyone can really think. That's why Earth is only that old because that's as much history that a person can remember."
[Hey, let me talk to you about a little thing called "The Future" (and you're a loving moron, besides)]

"Wow!" Just think. In 4000 years people will have completely forgotten about Jesus."

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Did this person have jagged scar on one side of their face, a glass eye, a salt and pepper beard, a hook for a hand, a gravelly voice, and a permanent scowl?

Because that's all I can imagine and I'd rather not spoil the fantasy.

I hate to ruin your fantasy but he was a dumpy goblin that has never left the Pacific Northwest. Also racist but would think you're joking if you brought it up.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Inzombiac posted:

I hate to ruin your fantasy but he was a dumpy goblin that has never left the Pacific Northwest. Also racist but would think you're joking if you brought it up.

drat, I just wish it was a crusty old sea captain with a far-off distant look in the eyes, forever reliving the day he lost his entire crew to the kraken that lurks in the ocean's dark depths.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I've had, on at least two occasions, random strangers tell me I'm evil and/or possessed by the Devil because I'm left-handed.

Being a southpaw also amazes people, apparently, especially people who have known you for years. Upon seeing me write, "YOU'RE LEFT-HANDED??!? :psyduck:" It happens more often than you think.

You Are A Werewolf has a new favorite as of 06:12 on Jan 25, 2016

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

No, they think you're a devil because of your pointed ears, immortality and command over nature.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

You Are A Elf posted:

I've had, on at least two occasions, random strangers tell me I'm evil and/or possessed by the Devil because I'm left-handed.

Being a southpaw also amazes people, apparently, especially people who have known you for years. Upon seeing me write, "YOU'RE LEFT-HANDED??!? :psyduck:" It happens more often than you think.

When I was in kindergarten, my teacher told my parents I had a learning disorder because I couldn't trace the dotted lines of letters and numbers. Turned out they didn't think to let me try to do it with my left hand.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Inzombiac posted:

"Ghosts are absolutely real and I know or else why would there be so many good TV shows about them?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEIE1GaMlnA

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

bringmyfishback posted:

Every loving time when I lived in Montana.

Also, once when I had to get into this street party to look for my father-in-law and they asked for ID, and I gave them my passport to use as ID.

GIRL 1: Um...
ME: What?
GIRL 1: What...is this?
ME: It's a passport.
*blank stare*
ME: Passport.
*blank stare*
ME: Do you speak English?
GIRL 1: What?
(Girl 2 walks over)
GIRL 1: Oh, thank GOD! Can you handle this?
GIRL 2: What's going on?
ME: Look, I just want to go in and find my father-in-law. She asked for ID, here it is.
GIRL 2: What is this?
ME: It's a passport!
GIRL 2: Why do you have this?
ME: What?!
GIRL 2: Where are you from?
ME: NEW YORK. CAN YOU HURRY UP, PLEASE?
GIRL 2: Um....
ME: Look. Look at this. It says "United States of America" on the front.
GIRL 2: So why are you in this country?
ME: I was born in it. Can you please let me inside?
GIRL 2: Um...okay...but like...I dunno...okay...

WHAT THE gently caress

I HATE MONTANA.

I once met a tour guide living on the border with Canada who had never been outside the country.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

ikanreed posted:

I once met a tour guide living on the border with Canada who had never been outside the country.

My dad, who is British, told me once he had a layover in a relatively remote airport in the Midwest on his way to a conference. When he handed over his ticket, the woman at the front desk was extremely confused; turns out she had never seen a 24hr date code before.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

bringmyfishback posted:

Also, once when I had to get into this street party to look for my father-in-law and they asked for ID, and I gave them my passport to use as ID.

*blank stare*
*blank stare*
(Girl 2 walks over)
ME: Look, I just want to go in and find my father-in-law. She asked for ID, here it is.

WHAT THE gently caress

I HATE MONTANA.

Where the hell were you in Montana? I've been to Montana several times and as a Brit my only ID for buying booze and poo poo is a passport, nobody has even batted an eyelid at me using it.

Inzombiac posted:

No, they think you're a devil because of your pointed ears, immortality and command over nature.

We Elves bear our lot with stoicism. e; wait gently caress I didn't even see the goon's username, I thought you were describing Old Scratch in a weird way and jumped on it.

kreyla
Dec 31, 2008
My dear mother is smart, but we had long arguments about her assertions that dinosaurs were mammals and that India, until very recently, was a primitive and undeveloped area.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Montana borders another country and from what I hear many people from Alberta and Saskatchewan routinely drive down there and I frequently meet Montanans here in Calgary. I find it really bizarre anyone from that state doesn't know what a passport is.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
"Why would you be a feminist, I thought you were gay?" in a lunch break conversation at university.

I mean, she understood when I explained I still care about women's rights but that's such a weird thing to say.

DorkusMalorkus
Aug 4, 2009

"That's not Latin!"

You Are A Elf posted:

My sister has one brown eye and one hazel eye and when she meets new people they sometimes will go "DID YOU KNOW YOU'VE GOT TWO DIFFERENT COLORED EYES???" as if maybe she didn't know for the last 34 years.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

DorkusMalorkus posted:

My sister has one brown eye and one hazel eye and when she meets new people they sometimes will go "DID YOU KNOW YOU'VE GOT TWO DIFFERENT COLORED EYES???" as if maybe she didn't know for the last 34 years.

Unless I am in the right lighting, I have dark brown hair and a red beard (like a freak). More often than I can count, people have accused me of dying my hair because I'm ashamed or something of being a ginger.

One a nice lady asked why I dyed my beared.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Mak0rz posted:

Montana borders another country and from what I hear many people from Alberta and Saskatchewan routinely drive down there and I frequently meet Montanans here in Calgary. I find it really bizarre anyone from that state doesn't know what a passport is.

Can confirm, Canadians are around all the time. They drive down to get better prices on stuff, go to Target, all kinds of stuff.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

bringmyfishback posted:

*blank stare*
*blank stare*
(Girl 2 walks over)

WHAT THE gently caress

I HATE MONTANA.

I had this same sort of poo poo happen when I, who lives in central Queensland, was visiting my now ex-girlfriend's family in Melbourne. I wanted to grab a bottle of wine for her parents as a thank you for letting me say with them so I went to a slightly up-market wine place in a shopping center. The clerk was really nice and helped me find a bottle of something interesting; so when I went to pay for it he was like "Hey can I just check your ID for security reasons?" so I pulled out my 18+ Card, which as the name indicates is a form of photo ID given out by the Queensland government if you don't have anything else like a passport or drivers licence (which I didn't have at the time). He looks it at, says he just needs to get the manager who then comes over all friendly like and the clerk goes "Here check this out, he says it's his ID." The manager looks at it looks at me, looks at it and then goes "You're kidding me right? This is obviously fake." My girlfriend and I are a bit confused that he has said so, and I inform him that no it's a 18+ Card from Queensland. Manager tells me that it's fake, he could make a better fake in his garage and that I'm a retard for trying to use it in his shop; and I better get out now or he will call the cops. So rather pissed off and now embarrassed in front of my girlfriend and other customers I tell him to do so so they can tell him he is wrong and is wasting police time; however my girlfriend was now very embarrassed by me wanting to cause a scene over it and ended up telling me to leave with her now and drop the subject or leave alone later so I was forced to relent.

That was my first time using that ID outside of Queensland so when the gf wanted to go to a bar the next evening I was a bit worried I'd get the same treatment; but the bouncer looked at it once and waved me in. I was a bit surprised and made a sarcastic "Wait you DON'T think it's a fake? Apparently this state has never heard of Queensland." Turns out the bouncer was from Queensland as well.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

kreyla posted:

My dear mother is smart, but we had long arguments about her assertions that dinosaurs were mammals and that India, until very recently, was a primitive and undeveloped area.

Well, India kind of is, in a way. Probably not the way she's thinking but still

http://www.yourarticlelibrary.com/economics/what-are-the-important-features-of-india-as-an-underdeveloped-economy/3052/

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

People are stupid as hell about identification. A few years ago I was in a gas station buying beer and the clerk informed me that since my ID was marked "learner's permit" rather than "driver's license" he couldn't sell me alcohol. I was 23, and it was an Arizona permit so it was very clear that I wasn't underage-- not only do people under 21 have their licenses marked "UNDER 21 UNTIL (date)" but they're oriented so they're thin and tall rather than short and long like normal IDs.

Sorry I didn't learn to drive when I was younger :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DorkusMalorkus
Aug 4, 2009

"That's not Latin!"

Inzombiac posted:

Unless I am in the right lighting, I have dark brown hair and a red beard (like a freak). More often than I can count, people have accused me of dying my hair because I'm ashamed or something of being a ginger.

One a nice lady asked why I dyed my beared.

My brother suffers from a similar problem of brown hair/red beard. Wow, my sister has two different colored eyes and I am just a ginger. I didn't realize before now that my siblings and I all suffer from terrible genetic problems.

• Locked thread