Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

It's about time we see some fresh decks and Affinity is no longer being held back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

rabidsquid posted:

Tournament victories are how I know Naya Lightsaber was a good deck.

Agreed. Goblns Is Back Baby

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Elyv posted:

probably so your opponent can't look through your library

I'll bet it's this, but not for the strategic implications, rather because it would take 5+ minutes for your opponent to write everything down.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

It's almost like not having to dedicate half your sideboard to beating Twin means you can dedicate those slots to the deck everyone thinks is going to be the next most oppressive, wow.

4 tec edge in the board is pretty lulzy though.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

There is some really phenomenal work being done on the "attribute this t8 to the twin ban" front and I think that should be applauded

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

rabidsquid posted:

There is some really phenomenal work being done on the "attribute this t8 to the twin ban" front and I think that should be applauded

I 100% guarantee that if Twin were not banned that t8 would not be comprised of the same 8 players with the same 8 decks that are currently in it.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

The Shortest Path posted:

I 100% guarantee that if Twin were not banned that t8 would not be comprised of the same 8 players with the same 8 decks that are currently in it.

Are you saying things would be different if they were different? :confused:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

The Shortest Path posted:

It's almost like not having to dedicate half your sideboard to beating Twin means you can dedicate those slots to the deck everyone thinks is going to be the next most oppressive, wow.

4 tec edge in the board is pretty lulzy though.

can you link me this decklist that had half its sideboard as twin hate?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Elyv posted:

Here you go.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

TheKingofSprings posted:

I'd say it would be the same 8 players playing different decks (all twin).

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Elyv posted:

http://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=11234&d=263825&f=MO

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Now that Tron is free from its shackles its going to be lit

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

that extremely dumb ghostaway deck is pretty fun but also bad

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Yes, that's :thejoke:

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Im heading to a modern event next week running UW Merfolk. I run 4 Spreading Seas main, 3 Sea's Claim side plus all the best white sideboard hate for everything else.

It doesn't surprise me at all merfolk took 2 top spots already. My worst matchup by far is... elves? That's about it.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Balon posted:

Im heading to a modern event next week running UW Merfolk. I run 4 Spreading Seas main, 3 Sea's Claim side plus all the best white sideboard hate for everything else.

It doesn't surprise me at all merfolk took 2 top spots already. My worst matchup by far is... elves? That's about it.

Isn't the matchup vs affinity still slightly bad even as UW?

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Balon posted:

What about affinity? Or now with twin gone is 4 Hurkyl's Recall in the sideboard no problem?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Do you just get to start the game with a Hurkyls in hand post board

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

gwrtheyrn posted:

Isn't the matchup vs affinity still slightly bad even as UW?

I think slightly bad is a bit of an understatement. It's a "did I draw my sideboard card" match which are all loving stupid if you ask me

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

ThePeavstenator posted:

What about affinity? Or now with twin gone is 4 Hurkyl's Recall in the sideboard no problem?

UW gets stony silence / kataki if they want it, but I don't know if that really helps enough. Really most merfolk decks could probably get away with splashing kataki with 4 wanderwine + vials if they really wanted

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

rabidsquid posted:

I think slightly bad is a bit of an understatement. It's a "did I draw my sideboard card" match which are all loving stupid if you ask me

I play merfolk, I'm well aware how bad the merfolk vs affinity match is, but I don't play a UW list even though I'm running 4 wanderwine

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Affinity is a stupid deck.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Im running 4 wanderwine, 4 strands, 2 fountains. Sideboard has 3 Stoney Silence, 1 Recall specifically for Affinity.

Being UW I also have 4 Paths main, which helps against everything Affinity has except Champions.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

rabidsquid posted:

It also doesn't deserve a ban.

It'll probably also get one in a year with a lovely justification.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

gwrtheyrn posted:

UW gets stony silence / kataki if they want it, but I don't know if that really helps enough. Really most merfolk decks could probably get away with splashing kataki with 4 wanderwine + vials if they really wanted

Maybe I'm looking at it the wrong way but it seems like those hose your own aether vials a lot more than a huryl's recall

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

rabidsquid posted:

magic is dumb

pew pew, i'm a wizard

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

In my experience I generally don't give a huge poo poo about a Stony Silence compared to Hurkyls

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

rabidsquid posted:

In my experience I generally don't give a huge poo poo about a Stony Silence compared to Hurkyls

Are you saying this from a Merfolk perspective or an Affinity perspective?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

TheKingofSprings posted:

It also doesn't deserve a ban.

It'll probably also get one in a year with a lovely justification.

I don't know, it sort of fit the ban criteria of the random "ban Nacatl" decision but it never got looked at so I sort of assume it will never really be banned. I just hate super linear decks when they also rock a very consistently high win percent.

ThePeavstenator posted:

Are you saying this from a Merfolk perspective or an Affinity perspective?

Affinity. Stony Silence can't stop animated lands at all but a recall is a big blowout.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Spreading Seas and Sea's Claim both shut down manlands though.

I've been testing a lot against the whole gamut which led me to the decision to go UW as opposed to mono U. Much better board against affinity.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Yeah but it taking two cards to properly use your sideboard hate is really inefficient. edit: I seriously think if you're running specific Affinity sideboard hate it should be an inverse in numbers between Stony Silence and Hurkyl's Recall

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

rabidsquid posted:

I don't know, it sort of fit the ban criteria of the random "ban Nacatl" decision but it never got looked at so I sort of assume it will never really be banned. I just hate super linear decks when they also rock a very consistently high win percent.

Affinity. Stony Silence can't stop animated lands at all but a recall is a big blowout.

Yeah, Affinity's nowhere near as bad about it as Burn though.

Not sure how I feel about a deck you could reasonably have a computer algorithm to play out being one of the top 5 decks in the format.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

rabidsquid posted:

Yeah but it taking two cards to properly use your sideboard hate is really inefficient. edit: I seriously think if you're running specific Affinity sideboard hate it should be an inverse in numbers between Stony Silence and Hurkyl's Recall

In my experience there are merits to both - Stoney Silence lets you run all over them with a better game, where Recall stops them dead if they try to go all-in.

However if the affinity player expects the Recall and goes wide, it's AT BEST a one-turn setback for them. Where Stoney Silence is going to leave them with nothing but a handfull of 1/1s.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

Yeah, Affinity's nowhere near as bad about it as Burn though.

Not sure how I feel about a deck you could reasonably have a computer algorithm to play out being one of the top 5 decks in the format.

:confused: isn't this every top tier deck of modern?

Balon posted:

In my experience there are merits to both - Stoney Silence lets you run all over them with a better game, where Recall stops them dead if they try to go all-in.

However if the affinity player expects the Recall and goes wide, it's AT BEST a one-turn setback for them. Where Stoney Silence is going to leave them with nothing but a handfull of 1/1s.
Or a master of etherium and a huge middle finger in your face. To be fair I was playing my mill deck at the time and not merfolk

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

gwrtheyrn posted:

If you can program the decisions for a computer casting Inquisition or Thoughtseize I'd unironically love to hear how you'd do it

anglachel
May 28, 2012

gwrtheyrn posted:

Yes. People tried to pretend that Twin wasn't this, when the deck was literally "stall out via remands, counterspells, bounce effects, and removal, until I can cast my kill combo, attack with my creatures if they don't have good blocks or they are willing to trade threats. Use snapcaster mage to get value out of bolts so i can kill their creatures or get my counterspells back, or use it to dig harder in my deck. Rinse and repeat"

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

anglachel posted:

Yes. People tried to pretend that Twin wasn't this, when the deck was literally "stall out via remands, counterspells, bounce effects, and removal, until I can cast my kill combo, attack with my creatures if they don't have good blocks or they are willing to trade threats. Use snapcaster mage to get value out of bolts so i can kill their creatures or get my counterspells back, or use it to dig harder in my deck. Rinse and repeat"

That's a lot of words to describe something you're alleging is braindead and simple

anglachel
May 28, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

If you can program the decisions for a computer casting Inquisition or Thoughtseize I'd unironically love to hear how you'd do it

Sure. You'd program the computer with most of the predominant deck lists. Then weight each card for it's power level and impact. (You can also have a modifer that makes cards where they don't have mana for them weighted less). If whatever flag you have set that its a rouge brew pops, you simply go to the general list of power level of each card in the programs card database (with adjustments based on mana in play and that the program sees in the hand). Then it takes a card.

Of course this is the exact reason why Pro Players say they hate Modern. What your supposed to do is pretty rote at this point.....

anglachel
May 28, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

That's a lot of words to describe something you're alleging is braindead and simple

I can describe Affinity, and Burn with alot more words if you like? (Bogles might be a struggle though)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

If you all want to be technical, any deck can be piloted skillfully by a computer with a series of decisions based around that deck and its spells. Even discard spells would be a matter of examining known information and figuring out what likely archetype is being run and then picking the high value card on a list.

• Locked thread