Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I didn't watch the first one, but Dark Continent is solid.
Well. The two movies have a thing in common. The monsters. And that's about it. I'll come back to it later. The first movie is just cool. That's the only word I can use to describe it - very laid back, nature, wonder and awe of the unknown. The sequel appears to be a huge dick compensation marine ooh-ahh movie. Which I dig, it's a cool perspective from a totally different angle. Just not in the mood for strippers and blow after the first movie.

I'll still check it out tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I didn't watch the first one, but Dark Continent is solid.

Goddamn this was a bad movie don't trust this person's lies.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

magnificent7 posted:

Well. The two movies have a thing in common. The monsters. And that's about it. I'll come back to it later. The first movie is just cool. That's the only word I can use to describe it - very laid back, nature, wonder and awe of the unknown. The sequel appears to be a huge dick compensation marine ooh-ahh movie. Which I dig, it's a cool perspective from a totally different angle. Just not in the mood for strippers and blow after the first movie.

I'll still check it out tomorrow.

It's a standard, but well-executed, ooh-rah movie for the first half, with some not-even-subtext relating the war against the Monsters to the War On Terror, but it ends up a very different movie.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
On a totally unrelated note, INFINI is an awesome movie if you like movies that are like a game of telephone... I imagine each screenwriter kind of reads a couple of stickies from the previous writer, then they write a page, and then pass it off to someone else.

But in a good way.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

red19fire posted:

Battle Creek is a pretty solid show. I love Dean Winters' curmudgeon act, and its enough of a police procedural but not so bad that you can predict the culprit in the first 5 minutes of the show. And created by Vince Gilligan of Breaking Bad :dance:

I was a little disappointed to learn this show was cancelled after 1 season and I hope Dean Winters gets another good role soon. The show wasn't great but it was pretty good and the final episode is a fantastic end to the series. My one issue with it was the tone, it had a generic and upbeat musical score which clashed with the rather dark material of the weekly mysteries.

In other cancelled series opinions, the first season of Legends is excellent because Sean Bean plays all of his various alter egos excellently. I particularly liked his "big hat" cowboy legend. Heard the show goes off the rails in the second season, but it's not streaming yet so I must remain agnostic on that judgment.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Netflix Febuary

AVAILABLE FEBRUARY 1

A Picture of You (2014)
Armageddon (1998)
Better Call Saul: Season 1
Charlie’s Angels (2000)
Collateral Damage (2002)
Cruel Intentions (1999)
A Faster Horse (2015)
Full Metal Jacket (1987)
Game Face (2015)
Jennifer 8 (1992)
Johnny English (2003)
The Little Engine That Could (2011)
The Lizzie Borden Chronicles: Season 1
Losing Isaiah (1995)
Masha’s Tales: Season 1
My Side of the Mountain (1969)
Para Elisa (2012)
Pokemon the Movie: Diancie and the Cocoon of Destruction (2014)
Pokemon: XY: Season 1
Scooby-Doo (2002)
Scooby-Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed (2004)
Sin City (2005)
Star Trek V: The Final Frontier (1989)
Stardust (2007)
Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby (2006)
Teen Witch (1989)
Tin Man: “Search for the Emerald” (2007)
The Year Dolly Parton Was My Mom (2011)

AVAILABLE FEBRUARY 2
Land Before Time: XIV: Journey of the Brave (2016)

AVAILABLE FEBRUARY 3
I Love You Phillip Morris (2009)

AVAILABLE FEBRUARY 4
Love (2015)

AVAILABLE FEBRUARY 5
Care Bears & Cousins: Season 2 — NETFLIX ORIGINAL
Hannibal Buress: Comedy Camisado — NETFLIX ORIGINAL
Mad Men: Season 7: Part 2

Turbo: F.A.S.T.: Season 3 — NETFLIX ORIGINAL

AVAILABLE FEBRUARY 6
Lila & Eve (2015)

AVAILABLE FEBRUARY 10
Dope (2015)
The Girl in the Book (2015)

AVAILABLE FEBRUARY 13
The Face of Love (2013)

AVAILABLE FEBRUARY 15
Open Season (2006)
XXY (2007)

AVAILABLE FEBRUARY 16
Asthma (2015)
Atonement (2007)

AVAILABLE FEBRUARY 17
The Returned: Season 2

AVAILABLE FEBRUARY 19
Cooked: Season 1 — NETFLIX ORIGINAL
Love: Season 1 — NETFLIX ORIGINAL

AVAILABLE FEBRUARY 22
3rd World Cops 2 (2015)

AVAILABLE FEBRUARY 23
Bare (2015)

AVAILABLE FEBRUARY 24
Marvel Super Hero Adventures: Frost Fight! (2015)

AVAILABLE FEBRUARY 26
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon: Sword of Destiny (2016)– NETFLIX ORIGINAL
Fuller House: Season 1 — NETFLIX ORIGINAL
Theo Von (2016) — NETFLIX ORIGINAL

AVAILABLE FEBRUARY 27
Finding Vivian Maier (2013)

AVAILABLE FEBRUARY 29
Ashes and Embers (1982)

LEAVING FEBRUARY 1
Alvin and the Chipmunks Meet Frankenstein (1999)
Asylum (2005)
Bad Santa (2003)
Benny and Joon (1993)

Big Fish (2003)
Blue Crush (2002)
Classic Doctor Who: Collections 1-18
Crocodile Dundee 2 (1988)
The Dancer Upstairs (2002)
Daylight (1996)
Doctor Who: Season 1-8
The Firm (1993)
Fletch (1985)[/b]
Gifted Hands (2009)
Gothika (2003)
The Hurt Locker (2008)
The Naked Gun (1988)

Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult (1994)
Rain Man (1988)
Ray (2004)

Secrets and Lies: Season 1
Sorority Row (2009)
The Terminator (1984)
Terms of Endearment (1983)

LEAVING FEBRUARY 2
Pokémon the Movie: Black & White: BW Adventures in Unova and Beyond (2013)
Pokémon the Movie: Black: Victini and Reshiram (2011)
Pokémon the Movie: Genesect and the Legend Awakened (2013)
Pokémon the Movie: Kyurem vs. The Sword of Justice (2012)
Pokémon the Movie: White: Victini and Zekrom (2011)
Pokémon: Black & White: Seasons 1-2
Pokémon: Indigo League: Season 2

LEAVING FEBRUARY 3
Bottle Shock (2008)

LEAVING FEBRUARY 7
Compliance (2012)
Jack & Diane (2012)

LEAVING FEBRUARY 11
Bridezillas: Season 10
Stephen King’s Bag of Bones (2011)
United 93 (2006)
Were the World Mine (2008)

LEAVING FEBRUARY 13
The Fourth Kind (2009)

LEAVING FEBRUARY 15
Kitten Party (2010)

LEAVING FEBRUARY 16
The Pitch: Season 2

LEAVING FEBRUARY 17
Violet & Daisy (2011)

LEAVING FEBRUARY 19
North Sea Texas (2011)
Problem Child: Leslie Jones (2009)
Side by Side (2012)

LEAVING FEBRUARY 21
Jesus Camp (2006)
Marriage Boot Camp: Bridezillas: Season 1
Nobody Walks (2012)
Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning (2012)

LEAVING FEBRUARY 24
Chicagoland: Season 1
Death Row Stories: Season 1

LEAVING FEBRUARY 25
The Guild: 1 Season

LEAVING FEBRUARY 27
Crooked Arrows (2012)
Halloween: Resurrection (2002)

LEAVING FEBRUARY 28
Sabrina, The Animated Series: Season 1-2
The Sea Inside (2004)
Sonic the Hedgehog: The Complete Series

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Stardust and Love were both removed very recently, Netflix is weird.

Everyone watch Jesus Camp before it's gone.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost
I'm pretty sure Dr Who comes up for removal once a year but is always back like a week later. Something something BBC negotiations I guess.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

Goddamn this was a bad movie don't trust this person's lies.

Dark Continent is one of the few movies I could never finish; it wasn't even good as background noise while I did other stuff. It's such a horrible loving movie.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Someone should do a fun lighthearted double feature of Compliance and Jesus Camp before they're gone.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Blind Rasputin posted:

I just started watching The Expanse (have to stream it from Apple or Xbox, still airing the first season). If you're a space nerd or liked BSG and aren't watching this show then I don't even know what to tell you.

Anyone watching Dark Matter? I gave two episodes a try. It was pretty good but the design of their logo thing is so fricken stupid I wanted to turn it off on that alone.

I just about made it through season 1 of Dark Matter. Killjoys is better, and Expanse blows them both out of the water in every way.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
If you're really hard up for a cookie-cutter "motley crew of people that don't trust each other live on a spaceship together, fly around and shoot things" show, then watch Dark Matter.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
I watched the first episode of Mad Dogs, was pretty bored throughout. Think I'll skip the rest of the season.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Dr Monkeysee posted:

I'm pretty sure Dr Who comes up for removal once a year but is always back like a week later. Something something BBC negotiations I guess.

It definitely happened last year at the least.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Lycus posted:

If you're really hard up for a cookie-cutter "motley crew of people that don't trust each other live on a spaceship together, fly around and shoot things" show, then watch Dark Matter.

It's like Firefly, but if every character was every character from Firefly including themselves at the same time.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

magnificent7 posted:

On a totally unrelated note, INFINI is an awesome movie if you like movies that are like a game of telephone... I imagine each screenwriter kind of reads a couple of stickies from the previous writer, then they write a page, and then pass it off to someone else.

But in a good way.

INFINI is the most bored I've been with a movie in a good long while.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Franchescanado posted:

Someone should do a fun lighthearted double feature of Compliance and Jesus Camp before they're gone.

I didn't think Compliance was too awfully terrible until I learned it was a true story. :gonk:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

morestuff posted:

AVAILABLE FEBRUARY 2
Land Before Time: XIV: Journey of the Brave (2016)
isn't this series extinct yet nyuk nyuk

Seriously though, I saw the first one in theaters in 1988.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
My "My List" on Netflix says Man on Wire is leaving February 1st.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
What are some good mystery or heist-type TV shows on US Netflix that aren't extremely dark or gritty? I'm thinking stuff like Leverage, Person of Interest, and Miss Fisher.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

david_a posted:

isn't this series extinct yet nyuk nyuk

Seriously though, I saw the first one in theaters in 1988.

I always think of this stupid comic whenever I hear that movie and it never fails to make me giggle.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

flatluigi posted:

What are some good mystery or heist-type TV shows on US Netflix that aren't extremely dark or gritty? I'm thinking stuff like Leverage, Person of Interest, and Miss Fisher.
Burn Notice is kind of a similar style and tone to Leverage.

Some mind consider How to Get Away with Murder to be dark and gritty, but I think it's way too melodramatic and ridiculous to be taken that seriously.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

kuddles posted:

Some mind consider How to Get Away with Murder to be dark and gritty, but I think it's way too melodramatic and ridiculous to be taken that seriously.

I think it is a parody and the first four episodes are some of the funniest TV I've watched, ever. I unironically recommend this show. It is highly entertaining.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

Chichevache posted:

I think it is a parody and the first four episodes are some of the funniest TV I've watched, ever. I unironically recommend this show. It is highly entertaining.

Not joking, just curious because I've never seen the show— given this, what do you make of Viola Davis's win for best actress? I can't imagine people who follow the show see it as an actress playing a straight role in a parody of the real world and that becomes biting artistic satire. She must just be fun to watch.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

morestuff posted:

Amazon Prime for January:
Margin Call

Catching up with the thread, but just want to recommend this movie. Its as smart and gripping as you are gonna get with the shitshow that is the GFC.

And BTW, just watched We Are The Best! I loved this movie so goddamn much, def worth a watch.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Cocoa Ninja posted:

Not joking, just curious because I've never seen the show— given this, what do you make of Viola Davis's win for best actress? I can't imagine people who follow the show see it as an actress playing a straight role in a parody of the real world and that becomes biting artistic satire. She must just be fun to watch.

She gets to chew scenery Every. Single. Time. She. Is. On. Camera. It rules. She plays it to the hilt. Every time she gets on camera she is the center of attention, and she thrives on it. The show takes the most insane twists and turns (just beyond believable turns, every episode) and it gives her a ton of room to have fun with the character. Give the first episode a shot. Just turn your brain off and laugh at what is basically a CW show with a world class actress starring in it. It's the closest thing we will ever get to Paul Giamatti playing a character on Vampire Diaries.

Edit
Try and at least make it to episode 2. It's a God drat blast. :allears: poo poo really gets wild then.

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jan 26, 2016

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Shageletic posted:

And BTW, just watched We Are The Best! I loved this movie so goddamn much, def worth a watch.

Seconded, it really rocks. Semi-related, the documentary on Pussy Riot is also very good.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

flatluigi posted:

Last I checked, White Collar is streaming on Netflix, and it's a lot of fun.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I watched Mad Dogs and while I can't say it was particularly good I did really enjoy it.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Timby posted:

Last I checked, White Collar is streaming on Netflix, and it's a lot of fun.

He asked for good shows.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

flatluigi posted:

Have you watched Terriers or Life? Maybe give them a shot. Both are similar to person of interest where there's a story of each episode but an over-arching mystery/conspiracy to be solved. But both are light with great humor, sometimes bittersweet. Like a personal pineapple. Also Terriers is only one season and Life is only two. I think both were victims of the writer's strike that happened around 08 or 09.

(I friggin love Damien Lewis, and he gets so many silly lines that are played completely straight in Life that I quote it all the time still.)

And I'm excited to watch Mad Dogs. I think amazon has really been knocking it out of the park with their in-house shows.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I saw trailers for "The Path" on Hulu last night, and they look good IMHO. I hope that Hulu finally has a good original.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Iron Crowned posted:

I saw trailers for "The Path" on Hulu last night, and they look good IMHO. I hope that Hulu finally has a good original.

Hulu had The Booth at the End and Up to Speed, both of which are pretty great originals imo.

pizza valentine
Sep 19, 2007

DON'T FAKE THE FUNK
Grimey Drawer
I really liked Difficult People but I'm guessing Billy Eichner doesn't get on my nerves as much as everyone else.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

LloydDobler posted:

Have you watched Terriers or Life? Maybe give them a shot. Both are similar to person of interest where there's a story of each episode but an over-arching mystery/conspiracy to be solved. But both are light with great humor, sometimes bittersweet. Like a personal pineapple. Also Terriers is only one season and Life is only two. I think both were victims of the writer's strike that happened around 08 or 09.

(I friggin love Damien Lewis, and he gets so many silly lines that are played completely straight in Life that I quote it all the time still.)

And I'm excited to watch Mad Dogs. I think amazon has really been knocking it out of the park with their in-house shows.

Terriers is so good that I almost suggest never starting it, because you will forever carry that sadness in your heart once the last episode of season one ends and you realize that that is it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

precision posted:

Hulu had The Booth at the End and Up to Speed, both of which are pretty great originals imo.

I'll have to look those up and see, the app doesn't throw those at me like it does with this one:

pizza valentine posted:

I really liked Difficult People but I'm guessing Billy Eichner doesn't get on my nerves as much as everyone else.

I watched about 1.5 episodes before I couldn't stand it anymore, sorry.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.

mysterious frankie posted:

Terriers is so good that I almost suggest never starting it, because you will forever carry that sadness in your heart once the last episode of season one ends and you realize that that is it.

I wonder if that show would have made it if it had come out just a few years later, when shows could really find their audience online, the way Breaking Bad did.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

wafflesnsegways posted:

I wonder if that show would have made it if it had come out just a few years later, when shows could really find their audience online, the way Breaking Bad did.

Mayyyybe, but maybe it was too low key & hookless to find an American audience.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Was Breaking bad not a hit right out of the gate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Once people heard you got to see Cranston in his tighty whities they came arunnin'.