Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Tekopo posted:

I'm planning to teach a friend of mine who has never played before and want to do a somewhat The Force Awakens-themed fight for him. I got the following two lists:

To be honest, if it's his first game I'd stick to generic pilots and no upgrades. I'd also drop the amount of points to 50 or less.

Learning the core rules is way easier when one doesn't have to worry about special pilot skills or upgrades that add extra complexity.

The benefit is that if he gets the rules quickly on the first game without issues it'll probably be over quick and there's nothing stopping you from running another game with a more complex list.

That Italian Guy posted:

You can check out amazon/ebay for a "Laser Level". The cheap ones are really cheap and - I guess - don't incur in the "hobbyist market supercharged price" problem. I've got one for 10€ and it has both horizontal and vertical options. It's a bit bulkier than the models I usually see around though (size and shape of a regular mouse).

The Army Painter one is $8 and the size of a normal laser pointer. By far the best option, IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Frankly, the best way to learn the rules is to do what the rulebooks tell you to do.

First game is a generic X-Wing vs 2 TIEs (important note; the new box set says to take the shields off the TIE/fos, and you should). No rocks. No actions.

Second game is the same three ships, but this time with rocks and at least one named pilot per side. I can't recall if you add actions.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

He's pretty sharp though so I don't see any issues. Might just do lower points first though without any special abilities though, thanks for the advice :)

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
It really depends on who you are teaching. Like I threw two of my friends kinda in the deep end because I knew they would be able to handle it cause they are smart folks and I knew they were the types who if they had some cool "toys" they would enjoy it much quicker than if it was just generics.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Rub the back of your hand on an X-wing and hold it under his muzzel, so he can get used to the smell.

Then lock him in the bathroom and bring the X-wing into the house. Let them interact under the door.

Finally put them both in crates facing eachother for a few minutes. Let them out of the crates and don't spook right away if he hisses at the X-wing, let it play out and repeat the acclimation process as much as needed.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Otisburg posted:

Rub the back of your hand on an X-wing and hold it under his muzzel, so he can get used to the smell.

Then lock him in the bathroom and bring the X-wing into the house. Let them interact under the door.

Finally put them both in crates facing eachother for a few minutes. Let them out of the crates and don't spook right away if he hisses at the X-wing, let it play out and repeat the acclimation process as much as needed.

Note: This does NOT work with biggs darklighter. That particular x-wing has been observed humping other x-wings, and also hawks, b-wings, and falcons, with no sense of discretion whatsoever. Star wars technicians have theorized this has been due to dominance behavior but others theorize it is done out of duty or as a friendship ritual.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Chill la Chill posted:

Note: This does NOT work with biggs darklighter. That particular x-wing has been observed humping other x-wings, and also hawks, b-wings, and falcons, with no sense of discretion whatsoever. Star wars technicians have theorized this has been due to dominance behavior but others theorize it is done out of duty or as a friendship ritual.

That 'stache is screaming "I have candy in the back of my X-Wing".

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

At my local shop we just say "Biggs is a bastard" and leave it at that :v:

Is there a preferred build for the YV-666? I'm trying to figure out a way to use Bossk without him getting heinously expensive, and its boiled down to "keep him under 50 points so I can bring 2 TLT Y-Wings with unhinged astromechs", or bring 2 Z95s and the Khiraxz/the Z95 mini-swarm. I've played all of 2 games with him so far, using these builds:

Bossk 1:

Bossk (35)
"Mangler" Cannon (4)
Tactician (2)
K4 Security Droid (3)
Inertial Dampeners (1)
Maneuvering Fins (1)

46 points

Bossk 2:

Bossk (35)
Marksmanship (3)
"Mangler" Cannon (4)
Tactician (2)
Hound's Tooth (6)

50 points

The Nashtah Pup is a nice way to try and stay in the fight, but it is just a single Z95 (though I did managed to murder Keyan Farlander with it last night, so there's always that :v: ). I've thought about running Latts Razzi with a Weapons Engineer for maximum comedy/trolling, but I'm wanting to give Bossk a fair shake first.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Honestly a friend and I were really put off by the initial rule book scenario of no actions, no stress, no asteroids etc. It just felt tedious. It wasn't until we tried the more fleshed out ruleset a few weeks later that we started getting into it.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

My favorite build for the YV-666 is still the simplest.

Trandoshan Slaver
-Bossk
-Gunner
-Tactician

Cheap, but still effective.

Latts with Weapons Engineer and K4 gets honorable mention.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Yeah, I tried to introduce a friend (and myself) to the game without actions and it's really dull and boring. I'm introducing another friend this week and I'm going to try one X-Wing vs two TIEs with actions and see if that works better.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I taught some coworkers how to play. I ran them through the one xwing two TIE scenario but with actions, then we played a real 100pt game.

(I'd like to say I lost because I deliberately flew casual and slammed into a bunch of rocks so that's what we'll go with.)

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Koopa Kid posted:

Honestly a friend and I were really put off by the initial rule book scenario of no actions, no stress, no asteroids etc. It just felt tedious. It wasn't until we tried the more fleshed out ruleset a few weeks later that we started getting into it.

Again, it all depends on the audience. I've demoed X-wing to a few different groups, and the basic game is perfect for people that don't have boardgamegeek accounts. It highlights the core elements of the game (maneuvering with templates, rolling dice to attack/defend). For gaming newbies, they all get sucked in because those core elements are really well done, and removing all the advanced stuff let's new players get sucked into flying really nice looking plastic space ships. They get a lot more time to just look at those cute little guys as opposed to staring at upgrade cards trying to figure out what the gently caress Push The Limit does and why is it 3 points and what's an action and what's a stress token.

If you're a more grizzled strategy board game tryhard, then I'd break out a couple 100 pt squads and dig into it.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Floppychop posted:

Trandoshan Slaver
-Bossk
-Gunner
-Tactician

Please keep refining the YV-666 lists. I really want to use the space garbage scrunt truck for real.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Floppychop posted:

Trandoshan Slaver
-Bossk
-Gunner
-Tactician

So when you miss and Bossk (crew) gives you the stress/target lock/focus, you can turn around and use those on the attack with the Gunner, right? This is like the only time something happens between missing your shots and the gunner attacking?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Icon Of Sin posted:

So when you miss and Bossk (crew) gives you the stress/target lock/focus, you can turn around and use those on the attack with the Gunner, right?

Yes. Bossk also still gives you the target lock/focus if you're already stressed, but won't double up your stress tokens.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Chill la Chill posted:

Please keep refining the YV-666 lists. I really want to use the space garbage scrunt truck for real.
The YV-666 will always have an interesting place in Scum fleet building as long as it remains the only Scum ship with more than one crew slot. I wonder if FFG placed themselves in a metaphorical hole by giving scum the Bossk/Gunner combo since they will have to be very careful when designing two crew ships for Scum, since the combo is really strong.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Tekopo posted:

The YV-666 will always have an interesting place in Scum fleet building as long as it remains the only Scum ship with more than one crew slot. I wonder if FFG placed themselves in a metaphorical hole by giving scum the Bossk/Gunner combo since they will have to be very careful when designing two crew ships for Scum, since the combo is really strong.

I really want a fat Jabba 2-slot crew that gives a powerful ability like the emperor's reroll and/or inquisitor's bounty.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Icon Of Sin posted:

This is like the only time something happens between missing your shots and the gunner attacking?

It depends on what the cards say, really. Bossk and Gunner happen at the exact same time, so the acting player gets to choose the order. If there were other cards that happened "If you perform an attack that does not hit" then you could use those abilities instead.

As I understand it, it's not about "something happening between". It's about executing two card abilities that are simultaneous, and you get to pick the order they go off. If you wanted to, you could use Gunner's ability and THEN use Bossk's ability.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Icon Of Sin posted:

So when you miss and Bossk (crew) gives you the stress/target lock/focus, you can turn around and use those on the attack with the Gunner, right? This is like the only time something happens between missing your shots and the gunner attacking?

Nowhere near. FCS, at the very least, goes off between shot 1 and shot 2.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

thespaceinvader posted:

Yeah, FCS is very specifically timed. Bossk/Gunner just hit at the same time and since they're both yours, you can pick which one goes first.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

thespaceinvader posted:

Oh man, I loved the glory days of phantoms with gunners shooting other phantoms and barons. :allears: Only to be destroyed by mama Han and bumped by her Z's. :evilbuddy:

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Question about blocking/bases touching:

If my redshirt pilot finishes his maneuver, and then my opponent's ending love overlaps the redshirt's base, does that mean those two cannot shoot each other, or just the ship that cannot complete its full move?

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Per the rules as written, if two ships are touching bases they cannot shoot at each other.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Ringo Star Get posted:

If my redshirt pilot finishes his maneuver, and then my opponent's ending love overlaps the redshirt's base, does that mean those two cannot shoot each other, or just the ship that cannot complete its full move?

The ship that bumps ends its manoeuvre at that point (and if it was doing a manouevre that would turn it round i.e. a sloop, troll or kturn, it doesn't successfully turn round), skips is action phase, and neither ship can shoot at the other.

Blocking is goood.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

Ringo Star Get posted:

Barring upgrades/pilot abilities/what-have-yous, bumping a ship means that you can't attack that ship, and you forfeit your action that turn. You still clear/gain stress as normal on green/red maneuvers, respectively, though. EDIT: And you can't complete trick maneuvers like an S-Loop, a T-Roll, or a K-Turn, either, but you still get the stress from attempting them.

Talking over the JumpMaster seems premature since we don't know what the dial is (except for apparently a white S-Loop?), but Dengar right now slots fairly tightly into that "maybe good, probably mediocre" niche that a lot of Wave 8 seems to bring to the table. K4 and Unhinged seem like natural partners, especially if he has at least one 3-speed turn, and PTL/EU also feel fairly obvious, which basically just leaves you with whether or not you want Inertial Dampeners and/or the Punishing One title. Considering that the title is the same cost as a Binayre Pirate's entire ship, I'm kinda balking at the cost; statistically it's better to throw three red dice once than it is to throw two red dice twice, but the Z-95 also brings a chump blocker to the table and more EHP to chew through, in theory, especially since the JumpMaster has just 9. I really don't want to see dice-inflation problems infect X-Wing, and FFG seems responsible enough to know it can be super-poisonous to introduce power creep to a fairly well-balanced game; but then I also think that the title is almost prohibitively expensive in a faction where expense is a serious, serious problem.

Consider that for the same cost in points (12), Dash inherits a donut, yes, but also gets two more red dice to throw, even if they can't crit anyone besides Omega Leader, while also having more EHP and having much more attractive options to slot in beside him in the list. Han Solo in the Falcon and RAC in the Decimator also just seem to be, on their faces, more immediately ~good~ than Dengar does, and S&V can't really afford to have two bad PS9 pilots, since FFG seems reticent to make more PS9s in general.

Okay, but we don't compare ship-to-ship across factions, so Dengar/the JumpMaster doesn't/don't need to be measured exclusively against the standard set by the other large-base ships. If that's the case, why are we pricing one red die at twelve points, considering it's a title and therefore presents no imminent threat of power creep? Scum and Villainy basically have two generally accepted lists, man. I'm not saying that Brobots is a bad list, because it isn't, but at the moment it feels like if you don't want to get steamrolled in a competitive environment, you either play that list or don't play S&V. Which is lame. I was hoping Dengar would be terrifying, but barring a god-like dial I think he's only going to be okay, so that sucks. And their new thing, the Tractor Beam, is going to be promptly co-opted by the Empire, anyway, in all likelihood. It's just a bummer.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Blocking is The End for aces dependent on their actions, like Poe, Soontir, and Vader. It doesn't matter so much for someone like Wedge, Wes, or Luke (their pilot abilities aren't dependent on getting an action, they're in-play regardless), but for aces it can mean certain death.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Icon Of Sin posted:

Blocking is The End for aces dependent on their actions, like Poe, Soontir, and Vader. It doesn't matter so much for someone like Wedge, Wes, or Luke (their pilot abilities aren't dependent on getting an action, they're in-play regardless), but for aces it can mean certain death.

Or you might be playing the Gozanti mission and run Soontir over with your huge ship. :ohdear:

Not that I've done that.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

guts and bolts posted:

Talking over the JumpMaster seems premature since we don't know what the dial is (except for apparently a white S-Loop?), but Dengar right now slots fairly tightly into that "maybe good, probably mediocre" niche that a lot of Wave 8 seems to bring to the table.

White 2-sloop, yeah, which looks like it could be great fun. I think the Punishing One is likely to be pretty well-balanced overall. it fits at about the same point cost as Han, and occupies about the same level of good, with a built in double tap.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

thespaceinvader posted:

White 2-sloop, yeah, which looks like it could be great fun. I think the Punishing One is likely to be pretty well-balanced overall. it fits at about the same point cost as Han, and occupies about the same level of good, with a built in double tap.

I will make a longer post later but my rebuttal is basically that dengar starts cheaper and is PS9. You don't take pwts for efficiency.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Thinking about it, Bossk on Dengar will be rather tasty.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
It could actually triple tap, if you use gunner on your second shot of the round.

I'm going to be running Dengar with the title, Adaptability, and Inertial Dampners, supported by two PS1 StarVipers with Autothrusters.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I do think if you take dengar hed have to be built like superdash, using your ps9 to win the positioning game.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Panzeh posted:

I do think if you take dengar hed have to be built like superdash, using your ps9 to win the positioning game.

Yup, that's the plan.

Strobe posted:

It could actually triple tap, if you use gunner on your second shot of the round.

I'm going to be running Dengar with the title, Adaptability, and Inertial Dampners, supported by two PS1 StarVipers with Autothrusters.

I'm not sure it counts as a triple tap if one of them (and a specific one at that) has to miss.

2 PS1 StarVipers is insanely expensive, you could run 4 z 95s for the same cost.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Finster Dexter posted:

Again, it all depends on the audience. I've demoed X-wing to a few different groups, and the basic game is perfect for people that don't have boardgamegeek accounts. It highlights the core elements of the game (maneuvering with templates, rolling dice to attack/defend). For gaming newbies, they all get sucked in because those core elements are really well done, and removing all the advanced stuff let's new players get sucked into flying really nice looking plastic space ships. They get a lot more time to just look at those cute little guys as opposed to staring at upgrade cards trying to figure out what the gently caress Push The Limit does and why is it 3 points and what's an action and what's a stress token.

If you're a more grizzled strategy board game tryhard, then I'd break out a couple 100 pt squads and dig into it.

Don't be a dick man, people not getting thrilled by endlessly pinwheeling in space and comparing random dice results in a no-obstacles no-token game doesn't make them "try-hards" with BGG accounts (whatever you even think that means). Nobody's saying anything about running 100-point demos off the bat.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Strobe posted:

Dengar procs on defense though. Granted, you can still Bossk/Gunner off it, but it requires you defend against an attack in your firing arc, so it's a bit more situational.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Koopa Kid posted:

Don't be a dick man, people not getting thrilled by endlessly pinwheeling in space and comparing random dice results in a no-obstacles no-token game doesn't make them "try-hards" with BGG accounts (whatever you even think that means). Nobody's saying anything about running 100-point demos off the bat.

Whoa, cool off. That line wasn't an insult. I'm as groggy as anyone and consider myself as tryhard as anyone when it comes to strategy games. Yikes, man. Wasn't trying to offend, but you're being awfully sensitive, there.

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!
Thinking about a list focused on the Interceptors because they are my favorite TIE in the Star Wars universe but that is also local tournament viable:

Soontir Fel 35 Points
PTL - 3
Autothursters - 2
Royal Guard - 0
Stealth Device - 3

Carnor Jax 34 Points
PTL - 3
Autothursters - 2
Royal Guard - 0
Stealth Device - 3

Backstabber 16 Points

Winged Gundark 16 Points

100 points total. I figure Soontir gets so much love and can do so much damage that pairing him with a near identical Carnor Jax could be really fun. Add to that Backstabber and Winged Gundark (or Dark Curse/Nightbeast) and you have 4 fighters that can all work independently as well as in a group. Using the mobility to arc dodge as much as possible and then close to range 1 and let the pilot abilities do their job.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

thespaceinvader posted:

Priced out at what I'd think are obviously good choices for his upgrades, Dengar comes in at 57 points to Han's 62 with title/Predator/Gunner/3PO/Engine Upgrade. Some of this is subjective, sure, but I feel like Han is much better than 5 points worth of cap space, in a vacuum comparison. He has four more EHP to chew through and can dice-fix extremely effectively with his pilot ability, Predator, and Gunner, and with the ability to take an Evade token he can reliably mitigate two damage a turn. Dengar's double-tap requires him to get shot at first while also keeping the ship in question in his arc, making it not just a gimme in the way that Corran Horn's is, and more importantly Dengar has just 9 natural EHP, which is less than every other large ship in the game besides the Aggressor. Dengar wants to not get shot more than he wants to set up a jury-rigged double tap, in my experience; his pilot ability, to me, seems geared toward dealing with TLTs, not setting up to get two 3-dice attacks against, like, Red Ace or whatever.

I really hope his dial is dope as gently caress, because otherwise I think he's pretty mediocre. Logically I'd guess he has a 3-speed turn going one way but not the other way, which is better than no 3-speed turn at all, but still.

Strobe posted:

One of his attacks has to miss, so it isn't a triple tap. Also Gunner would be super-horrible on Dengar.

Panzeh posted:

I will make a longer post later but my rebuttal is basically that dengar starts cheaper and is PS9. You don't take pwts for efficiency.

Dengar is one point cheaper than Han Solo if you treat his title as auto-include, with normalizes his dice with Han's, and they each have Pilot Skill 9. I'm sleepy and not putting together what pwts stands for, but I (maybe) agree with the central point that if you're running a large ship, you are looking to maximize a specific advantage instead of being ruthlessly efficient, since you can fit almost 3 B-Wings into the cost of your average Han Solo build.

Panzeh posted:

I agree with this, but it necessitates either an aggressive initiative bid or a favorable die roll. Dengar versus PS11 Vader, PS9 Fel, and PS8 OLeader if he loses out on the roll would be hell on wheels. This is also why I treated my proposed Dengar build as the most obvious one - K4 and Unhinged to hopefully exploit that hypothetical 3-speed turn to create a little more space in our action economy, and using PTL to Boost and Barrel Roll to taste, with Dampeners there or not as you see fit. That's either 56 or 57 points with no immediately obvious companion ship. I was thinking you could try Guri with a full suite of stuff - Lone Wolf, title, new Scum cloak, Sensor Jammer and Autothrusters - which gets you to 98 points, but I'm not in love with it. Because it's Scum you can't really fit three decent things in there. Maybe you could do like another double large ships deal with Latts or a Trandoshan Slaver to compliment your JumpMaster, but I don't know.

EDIT: Like I just tried fitting in three Zs with Chimps and low-cost ordnance and I still got nothing.

guts and bolts fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jan 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Prophecy120 posted:

Thinking about a list focused on the Interceptors because they are my favorite TIE in the Star Wars universe but that is also local tournament viable:

Soontir Fel 35 Points
PTL - 3
Autothursters - 2
Royal Guard - 0
Stealth Device - 3

Carnor Jax 34 Points
PTL - 3
Autothursters - 2
Royal Guard - 0
Stealth Device - 3

Backstabber 16 Points

Winged Gundark 16 Points

100 points total. I figure Soontir gets so much love and can do so much damage that pairing him with a near identical Carnor Jax could be really fun. Add to that Backstabber and Winged Gundark (or Dark Curse/Nightbeast) and you have 4 fighters that can all work independently as well as in a group. Using the mobility to arc dodge as much as possible and then close to range 1 and let the pilot abilities do their job.

I like Turr a bit better than Carnor, since Turr can PtL off of his free boost/barrel roll and get straight away from someone's arc after dropping red dice straight in their face. Carnor is more situational, and even a slippery interceptor with 3 -4 evade dice at range 1 is going to fail spectacularly sooner or later.

• Locked thread