Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Dacap posted:

The new band leader for the TV show is Weird Al Yankovic

Wow, that is awesome, you could hardly do any better for the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
There was also a story for why Cudi left after 1 season: production on his album overran, bumping the tour right into the middle of shooting.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Dacap posted:

I'm really interested to see where this show will go with this being the case. Very exciting. Too bad I don't have IFC anymore.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Mr. Squishy posted:

There was also a story for why Cudi left after 1 season: production on his album overran, bumping the tour right into the middle of shooting.

at least the album turned out great

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Weirdo Al will make a better co-host, at the very least

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

Dacap posted:

Wow I'll be sure to tune in and watch all 76 episodes this season.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
This is an amazing choice.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

I don't know how I feel.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Phoon posted:

I don't know how I feel.

Beeez posted:

This is an amazing choice.

I agree with both of these.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Mr. Squishy posted:

wow that sucks I hope he doesn't run into any racist old ladies or comedians playing racist old ladies on that tour

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I was thinking that Weird Al would be a good bandleader but I just assumed he was on tour so much that he wouldn't do it.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

The Ape of Naples posted:

I was thinking that Weird Al would be a good bandleader but I just assumed he was on tour so much that he wouldn't do it.

Turns out Scott contacted him more or less right after he finished his most recent tour. He said he's doing one last North American leg later this year but other than that he's free. I think it also helps that he's no longer on contract with a label after Mandatory Fun.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

JethroMcB posted:

I think it also helps that he's no longer on contract with a label after Mandatory Fun.
You're probably right about that. I've only listened to half the episode but, even though he's going to go on a long tour again, it seems he's happy to be off the road but still have something to do.
Again, I've only listened to half the episode but de he mention what he'll do, exactly? Will there be a band? Will it just be him and an accordion? The other reason I counted him out initially was because he wasn't the 'DJ' type. Reggie could do a lot with just himself and a looper and a keyboard. I never saw the Cudi eps so I don't know what he used. I wonder how Al will do it.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Reggie's intros were still only about 10 seconds long, aside from the main theme there wasn't a whole lot of looping involved. I'm sure Al has enough musical chops to plink around on a keyboard and sing / say weird distorted stuff over it while the guests walk from the entrance to the couch.

Cudi's setup looked like this

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

He had a little pad next to the laptop that would play samples he could assemble into little beats.

I love the cudi eps

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Love Cudi, but his songs for CBB really came off half-baked, like bedroom beats. But he's a great, charismatic actor though, did beautifully on that show. I'd recommend one of the worst movies of all time, Need For Speed, he plays a wise-cracking pilot.

ManoliIsFat fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jan 25, 2016

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Illinois Smith posted:

Reggie's intros were still only about 10 seconds long, aside from the main theme there wasn't a whole lot of looping involved. I'm sure Al has enough musical chops to plink around on a keyboard and sing / say weird distorted stuff over it while the guests walk from the entrance to the couch.

Cudi's setup looked like this

Ah, I figured it was something like that.
Don't get me wrong I have no doubt Weird Al has the musical chops (mores than Reggie or Cudi). I guess it's just hard for me to picture him sitting at a piano even though I'm sure he could play it.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

The Ape of Naples posted:

Ah, I figured it was something like that.
Don't get me wrong I have no doubt Weird Al has the musical chops (mores than Reggie or Cudi). I guess it's just hard for me to picture him sitting at a piano even though I'm sure he could play it.

Reggie is a trained musician and has incredible keyboard chops. Even though he was always kind of singing in a comedic voice he can actually sing very well too.

I envision weird al having one of those cartoonish Dr. Seuss style setups with tubes and horns pointing in a million directions and pulling an elaborate series of levers and pulleys to operate it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I want him to get a haircut, shave, and sit behind a grand piano in a tuxedo.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

I want him to get a haircut, shave, and sit behind a grand piano in a tuxedo.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I'd like to think that now that Al has completed his 40 year record contract and had a #1 album he's basically accomplished everything he wants to in his career and now just doesn't give a gently caress and will do whatever he finds the most fun.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Are you saying Als Just Want To Have Fun?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Dacap posted:

:eyepop:

Fuckkkkkkkkkkk.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

only took 400 episodes, but someone finally asked him how much money he makes.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC
Weird Al is basically too good to be true and I almost feel bad for him getting roped into whatever kind of crazy schedule IFC has them on. I imagine that his presence could be a big boost to the show if his fan base tunes in.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Season 5 is only supposed to be 20 episodes which should help a ton with the scheduling issues; a 40 episode season was a bit bananas in my opinion. I'm super excited for Al, always enjoyed him growing up and his appearances on the podcast have always been good as well, very positive and goofy like you'd expect. I can't wait for the next set of episodes.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I love how guests (or maybe just always Lapkus?) tries to make Scott sound like a racist.

Viginti
Feb 1, 2015
It happens so often and with so many different guests that one has to wonder whether it's them or just true.

Weird Al being on the show will be strange, he's such a big character that he'll likely outshine Scott whereas the other two were good background players. Though, saying that I don't actually watch the show, so who cares.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Illinois Smith posted:

Are you saying Als Just Want To Have Fun?

No, they just want to have lunch.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

lol, should've known he got to that one in the 80s

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

bring back weirder scott and weirdest kulap

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

weird al is not very good at improv imo. its especially clear in this ep

E: this shouldnt be a problem on the show

Phoon fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jan 26, 2016

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Phoon posted:

weird al is not very good at improv imo. its especially clear in this ep

E: this shouldnt be a problem on the show

Actually I was thinking he was a good side kick on the episode. The TV show isn't improv anyway. At least not all of it. They'll do multiple takes and come up with some stuff if need be. He'll do fine.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Yeah, he might not be especially good at actual improv, but he's basically going to be a great band leader for a talk show. He's good at banter, and can say some genuinely funny things.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
I wonder if that ad at the end made anyone want to listen to How Did This Get Made.

EmotionlessThug
Feb 14, 2012

Viginti posted:

It happens so often and with so many different guests that one has to wonder whether it's them or just true.

Oh word?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I think it's just a running joke, not that anyone thinks Scott is actually a racist. Just that it's a fun thing to pimp him into, since he's always in the position to have to describe things to the audience.

That, plus is goes along with his faux-right wing joke.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Gargamel Gibson posted:

I wonder if that ad at the end made anyone want to listen to How Did This Get Made.

The most recent episode was Streets of Fire with Rachel Bloom. You can't really top that.

Inkspot fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jan 27, 2016

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Inkspot posted:

The most recent episode was Streets of Fire with Rachel Bloom. You can't really top that.

Well, you can with Tom Lennon and No Holds Barred.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Gargamel Gibson posted:

It made me wonder, does HDTGM really need to advertise? I thought it was one of Earwolf's most popular shows.