Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

I had a lot of trouble with that one too but people in this thread gave me advice and I ended up beating it on the first try. It takes a very specific party. You NEED Irina. She's the best healer/support unit. Use Lyn/HB/L to tank the fucker while Irina heals and just unload with all your best damaging arts as fast as possible. There's an Assault Rifle art that inflicts topple on Mechanoids guaranteed and it's very useful to interrupt it's attacks and keep it locked down. That big attack that's killing you when it gets close to death is coming from those canons around the room. You can't get out of range because they encircle the whole chamber so you have to interrupt the boss with a topple/stun to stop it.

Definian Downfall is really tough but you gotta do it if you want to recruit Mia. Also the boss, Rexoskell, is one of the time attack opponents so you gotta beat the mission if you want to make certain weapons/gear since they require materials from the time attack version.

Eh since I've completed the game I probably won't bother now. I do have Irina with me but she tends to die very quickly and I can't get her to actually heal people reliably. If it requires more than just mashing buttons it's really not worth the effort. I'm not the sort of gamer who is into loot, the super high level post game stuff has no interest to me.
Earlier in the thread people mentioned an exploit that will bring your skells to you though, I might try it with that.

I've said it before but it's really bizzare how many quests Mia is hidden behind.

Taear fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jan 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

many johnnys posted:

I feel the same way. The areas are vast, but that's about it.

Chronicles Original: the areas of the game have their own histories, and there are a ton of optional quests to learn more about them.

Okay now you're just making poo poo up.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

I had a lot of trouble with that one too but people in this thread gave me advice and I ended up beating it on the first try. It takes a very specific party. You NEED Irina. She's the best healer/support unit. Use Lyn/HB/L to tank the fucker while Irina heals and just unload with all your best damaging arts as fast as possible. There's an Assault Rifle art that inflicts topple on Mechanoids guaranteed and it's very useful to interrupt it's attacks and keep it locked down. That big attack that's killing you when it gets close to death is coming from those canons around the room. You can't get out of range because they encircle the whole chamber so you have to interrupt the boss with a topple/stun to stop it.

Definian Downfall is really tough but you gotta do it if you want to recruit Mia. Also the boss, Rexoskell, is one of the time attack opponents so you gotta beat the mission if you want to make certain weapons/gear since they require materials from the time attack version.

I struggled with Definian Downfall until I realized I was being killed by Beam attacks. I slapped on a piece of armor with Reflect: Beam and beat Rexoskell without breaking a sweat.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ometeotl posted:

S/he really isn't. NEARLY every zone in the first game has a definite reason behind it and gets explained pretty well too. You've not really got that here.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Ometeotl posted:

The Satorl Marsh has a big history with the High Entia that gets fully explored through Heart-To-Hearts, and a Lv.86 quest at the end of the game.

Giants Ruins are scattered around various areas of the game. There's an involved set of optional quests involving them in Tephra Cave, which dives deep into the ancient war between the giants and the white spiders. Notably, getting Seven's last skill set has you fighting a giant Lv.90+ gogol, and a giant spider.

The Agni Tablet at the beginning of Makna Forest was left by the giants, related to King Agni's Tomb as a secret area (filled with antols and dozens of dead kromars). Other Giants' ruins are scattered around other areas of the game as well.

Valak Mountain has an ongoing war between Chillkin and Antols.

The Hidden Machina village is more explicitly spelled out, and they reside on the fallen arm from the battle between Bionis and Mechonis (Egil had the arm rebuilt since then).

Several quests involve finding Red Pollen Orbs, which you can also see being made by the Zazadan in Satorl Marsh. As you learn more about red pollen orbs, you find that they are an illicit substance and bring down what amounts to a Nopon drug cartel. Totally optional.

many johnnys fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jan 25, 2016

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

if only heart-to-hearts weren't a pain to access

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Taear posted:

I have finally finished the game. That ending sure was ridiculously JRPG. What follows are spoilers for anyone who hasn't done chapter 12.

The bit after the credits was dumb as all gently caress. So that thing Luxaar was shooting at wasn't the computer with us all in then? It just seemed like a really stupid thing to happen after the story is technically over, I guess. Does this mean all the BLADEs that died actually ARE dead or what? And Lao waking up on the beach was like something from a bad B-movie.

Optimistically, based on nothing but my sincere hope for a happy ending: Lao came back as a flesh and blood human. All of the dead BLADEs, as well as all of the stored data, can also come back as flesh and blood humans, because their consciousnesses were absorbed into Mira. They will eventually figure out how to transfer the living BLADEs to flesh and blood bodies too.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Just unlocked flight, and it's fun as hell flying all over the place and finally exploring all those areas I couldn't reach before.

I've also lost any motivation I had to finish the game because I mainly played to explore everything, and now I pretty much have. Got nearly 50 hours in though so I had a good run, very pretty game with great scenery and an interesting setting. Gameplay, story, and characters are pretty eh but they're not dealbreakers for me. Not too shabby overall, glad I gave it a shot.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

He says something about "The Galactic Federation" getting in his way. And I think the humans didn't notice during the evacuation because they didn't know what was going on and were panicking. But if you rewatch the scene it's very clear The Ganglion turn all attention to earth and it's ships while the others try to intercept, they're just loving AWFUL at it.

I'm pretty sure they weren't actively defending Earth at all. Yeah, only the Ganglion are shown attacking Arks, but there's multiple shots of Skells getting wrecked by the other guy's weird little Piranha things, and then it very explicitly shows the same dudes attacking the Whale and causing the crash on Mira. It's stated in some Artbook somewhere that those things (called "Ghosts," apparently) are apparently one of the Federation's greatest enemies, and apparently the Ganglion fleet was acting as part of a Federation force when it fought them over Earth.

Basically, nothing makes sense and I kinda hope there's a sequel so we can see the trainwreck justifications for all this.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Taear posted:

That reminds me of something else - they build up you recruiting Cavern Clan to be potentially troublesome since you have Tree Clan too. But nothing happens with it at all!

A flagging error. A lot of the quests that unlock when you get the Tree Clan reference the Cavern Clan being there too. Ones that come to mind are the beastmaster (who wants to slaughter them) and the tactician (who wants you to assassinate their leader before you point out that could cause problems).

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I'm missing whatever research group is below Candid & Credible. Is it story locked or have I been running past something "obvious" all game?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Bruceski posted:

I'm missing whatever research group is below Candid & Credible. Is it story locked or have I been running past something "obvious" all game?

The groups are:

Grenada Galactic Group - Open at the start of the game
Sakuraba Industries - Open at the start of the game
Meredith and Co - Opened in Chapter 4
Candid And Credible - Opened in chapter 5 by the Man-on
Six Stars - Opened by the Wrothians after a mission in chapter 9, then one in 10. These are affinity missions.
Orphean Technologies - Opened by the Orpheans in a normal mission completed in chapter 8.
Nopon Commerce Guild - Opened by an affinity mission in chapter 5 named BFFs.
Factory 1.21 - Opened by Professor B after doing his second mission - Professor B's Return - from chapter 9 onwards.

I think that's the order they're in so you're missing Six Stars. They're not in the order you get them, I have absolutely no idea why. I also feel like the last two have absolutely gently caress all to make and are barely even worth levelling.

And I know that the Tree clan and Cavern clan talk about each other a little in quests. I guess I thought that events would "come to a head" with them so I was very careful in all my interactions but then nothing happened!

quote:

I never found getting affinity too hard in Xenoblade. In fact I had everyone to max with everyone else and I put less time into the first game than into this one!

Taear fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jan 26, 2016

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Taear posted:

I think that's the order they're in so you're missing Six Stars. They're not in the order you get them, I have absolutely no idea why. I also feel like the last two have absolutely gently caress all to make and are barely even worth levelling.

Nopon is worth leveling for the Thudclang.

I just got Six Stars - you have to do two affinity missions, one after chapter 9 and one after 10. I'm not sure why they delayed the second one, it doesn't seem to depend on anything in chapter 10.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Caphi posted:

Nopon is worth leveling for the Thudclang.

I just got Six Stars - you have to do two affinity missions, one after chapter 9 and one after 10. I'm not sure why they delayed the second one, it doesn't seem to depend on anything in chapter 10.

What is a thudclang? And yea sorry, I forgot there's a second stupid one, I'll edit my post.

Hatastrophe
Sep 28, 2007

Motto posted:

Post game you can do support missions to build anything from affinity to levels to battle points. There's pretty much a support mission for whatever you could need (minus materials which are always a pain to get)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hatastrophe posted:

Post game you can do support missions to build anything from affinity to levels to battle points. There's pretty much a support mission for whatever you could need (minus materials which are always a pain to get)

Pretty sure Motto's talking about Xenoblade Chronicle's Heart-to-Hearts, which are a much bigger pain in the rear end to get. Almost all of them requiring specific combinations between party members, not just Shulk and them, that start at 3 Hearts.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Just finished the game.

I was really surprised with all the references to the other games in chapter 12.

As soon as I saw the central lifehold computer I was reminded of the Zohars from Xenosaga.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bs78qKKmDI&t=210s
Look at the way the main computer hangs and compare it to the way the main computer hangs a few seconds into this scene
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYWNL2-eOhQ&t=1041s
Additionally the white and gold part of the computer closely resemble the shape of the Zohars, in addition to that gold being pretty much the same color. I'm pretty sure there another scene in either xenosaga 1 or 3 where the real Zohar is approached and positioned in a similar fashion, but I can't seem to find it.

It was at this point that I realized that Elma isn't human because of her appearance. She's pretty much a female version of chaos from xenosaga.

Next the computer malfunctions and produces beasts and then Lao is also transformed.
Let's look at this scene.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHbRmVwxsQ0
The Zohar turn the human into a monster in a similar fashion. If you watch some previous cut scenes in xenosaga, you'll know it was the spiritual remnants of other people that influenced the transformation, here it's the DNA of other people that influence the transformation.

Now let's compare real Elma and KOS-MOS
KOS-MOS awakens
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UBiKOXCWes&t=60s
Elma awakens
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYWNL2-eOhQ&t=3544s

Finally, Tatsu calls humans Hom Hom just once and in this scene only.

I'm sure there's other stuff I missed, but it's a shitload of cut scenes, and I don't feel like going through them again.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Pretty sure Motto's talking about Xenoblade Chronicle's Heart-to-Hearts, which are a much bigger pain in the rear end to get. Almost all of them requiring specific combinations between party members, not just Shulk and them, that start at 3 Hearts.

There are Heart to Hearts in Xenoblade Chronicles that can only be obtained in NG+, and you would need the insanity of a manatee to play Xenoblade Chronicles' NG+.

Hatastrophe
Sep 28, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

There are Heart to Hearts in Xenoblade Chronicles that can only be obtained in NG+, and you would need the insanity of a manatee to play Xenoblade Chronicles' NG+.

WHOOPS. I'm dumb then, sorry.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

There are Heart to Hearts in Xenoblade Chronicles that can only be obtained in NG+

Pretty sure this isn't true

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Sudden Javelin posted:

Several Heart to Hearts in the game's first zone can only be obtained with Shulk and pre-Seven Fiora, if I remember right. You need to carry over affection from your first NG to snag them.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Sudden Javelin posted:

It's not technically true, but you need pretty much pink affinity between each character pair in order to see some of them. Even if you make a point of mixing up your party, it's not going to happen naturally.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

many johnnys posted:

It's not technically true, but you need pretty much pink affinity between each character pair in order to see some of them. Even if you make a point of mixing up your party, it's not going to happen naturally.

It's far easier to raise affinity in the first game than in this one. Well, at least until post-game in this one.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Taear posted:

It's far easier to raise affinity in the first game than in this one. Well, at least until post-game in this one.

Not in the slightest. I had multiple characters to high affinity in this without even trying while even the characters I used regularly in my party in Xenoblade struggled to get affinity with one another. The fact that they only have to raise Affinity is your protagonist alone massively cuts down on the affinity grinding needed.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Taear posted:

It's far easier to raise affinity in the first game than in this one.

Do you have any god damned idea how many kittens and cabbages I had to trade back and forth in X:C

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

Do you have any god damned idea how many kittens and cabbages I had to trade back and forth in X:C

Honestly if I could make one change to Xenoblade it would just be that heart-to-hearts are always unlocked and they just give you a big affinity boost. That would make more sense to me than having to befriend them just to get more befriending points. (Especially since affinity has more bonuses in play than JUST the Heart to Hearts.)

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It was really annoying coming across the things and almost never being able to trigger them then and there.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

Not in the slightest. I had multiple characters to high affinity in this without even trying while even the characters I used regularly in my party in Xenoblade struggled to get affinity with one another. The fact that they only have to raise Affinity is your protagonist alone massively cuts down on the affinity grinding needed.

Not to mention that there's more than enough content to get at least half your seventeen party members maxed out. Probably more if you don't over-use anyone.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The idea that this game has 17 party members yet switching them involves manually traveling to wherever they happen to be hanging out baffles me.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

The idea that this game has 17 party members yet switching them involves manually traveling to wherever they happen to be hanging out baffles me.

The idea is that each of them has their own poo poo going on and their own place in the world, and that's fine. In practice it's annoying especially when everyone has goddamn phones.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

I've had Irina in my party for a while now and she's still at only two full hearts. While in the other one I could just make someone new my main character and start a load of fights! Barely took me any time.

quote:

The idea is that each of them has their own poo poo going on and their own place in the world, and that's fine. In practice it's annoying especially when everyone has goddamn phones.
It also means that some characters the game deems important (Doug for me) you never, ever, ever see until they're in a cutscene or two and it's like "Oh yea, I had forgotten about them"

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Taear posted:

I've had Irina in my party for a while now and she's still at only two full hearts. While in the other one I could just make someone new my main character and start a load of fights! Barely took me any time.

It also means that some characters the game deems important (Doug for me) you never, ever, ever see until they're in a cutscene or two and it's like "Oh yea, I had forgotten about them"

So far I'm finding the cast like I'm finding the world: a mile wide and an inch deep.

In positive news, I can finally get my skell license. From what I heard about them, they are very cool.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

many johnnys posted:

So far I'm finding the cast like I'm finding the world: a mile wide and an inch deep.

Outside of Elma and Lin the recuitable characters in this game are probably the worst of any RPG I've played in absolutely ages. It's fine in older games to have companions who basically do nothing at all but it feels off in this. I think more than anything I dislike the complete lack of interaction between nearly all of the cast.

I mean I don't even know what Phog looks like and the guy he has a rivalry with I don't know the name of at all. After 90 hours!

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Internet Kraken posted:

What's even worse is when some are at their affinity location and you don't even know about it. Two times I've randomly stumbled into L - once in the residential district and later on the Ma-Non ship - while doing random missions. I currently can't find Phog and don't really care. I think Lao is gone for a while but nobody noticed.

Next game, put a god drat phone button on the loving gamepad and put everybody's picture on the phone and you press their picture to call them and you can talk to them with the mic and say what up, how are you, please come with me to slay some baby pigs in a nest under the city so they don't grow up and kill Todd or whatever his name is. I think it's Todd.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Taear posted:

Then you played a different version of Xenoblade than everyone else because affinity grinding was one of the major complaints about the game. Unless by "a load of fights" you mean a frankly absurd amount of fights. You need 5000 affinity points to max out a character's affinity and most combat actions give 10-30 points each. I literally went through my last playthrough without maxing any character's affinity because it raises that drat slow and I like to swap characters out when I get bored of my party lineup.

In X I was able to get Nagi from 0 hearts to 4 hearts just in the course of a single chapter, had Lin and Elma maxed out before I even got a skell, and various other characters were between 2 to 4 hearts just through the course of playing the game, except the characters I didn't like using. Even discounting the late-game affinity grinding mission you should be gaining a boatload of affinity just from Soul Voice callouts and sidequests.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jan 26, 2016

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

ImpAtom posted:

Then you played a different version of Xenoblade than everyone else because affinity grinding was one of the major complaints about the game. Unless by "a load of fights" you mean a frankly absurd amount of fights. You need 5000 affinity points to max out a character's affinity and most combat actions give 10-30 points each. I literally went through my last playthrough without maxing any character's affinity because it raises that drat slow and I like to swap characters out when I get bored of my party lineup.

Yeah, if you hit the burst affinities throughout the game, assist party members when possible, take sidequests, and activate chain attacks, you still won't get more than a handful of maxed links unless you really go out of your way. The Heart-To-Hearts add a lot of character to everyone in the group as well as sometimes the areas that they are in, and it's a shame they're locked away for most players.

Funny enough, the easiest person to max out the link with is Fiora, who you get super late in the game and has a lot of catching up to do. They can do this by being whirlwind of double attacks and critical hits (each crit having a chance to trigger another burst).

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The weirdest part about the implementation of characters in this game is how much of a departure it is from the other xeno titles. The races, classes, story relevance, combat abilities, character interaction, and unique traits are all incredibly shallow, even though they were the strengths of the previous four games.

I don't understand why this this game is called Xenoblade Chronicles X. The only thing that carried over is the Nopon. Even then, the thing that I thought made Nopon cool in XC is that they were way more n touch with ether than the Homs. Unfortunately, there's no ether in this game, so they're vastly downgraded. The game could have just as easily called it Xenosaga X because the Skells are just improved AGWS.

Yeah, I'm like 100 hours in and I just discovered Murderess.

I honestly didn't find affinity grinding to be that bad in XC. You didn't really need it for anything through out the course of the game, and by end game you could just use your spare collectibles to max it out.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Safety Scissors posted:

I don't understand why this this game is called Xenoblade Chronicles X. The only thing that carried over is the Nopon. Even then, the thing that I thought made Nopon cool in XC is that they were way more n touch with ether than the Homs. Unfortunately, there's no ether in this game, so they're vastly downgraded.

This, and the Frontier Village actually has a lot going on if you care to look. I skipped most of the frontier village quests on my first playthrough (since I hate navigating the thing) but their relationships are just as fleshed out as the ones in Colony 9. A series of sidequests involving two rival doctors, the quest involving at least one patient, as well as their suppliers. A drunkard who wants to secretly make booze. Riki's family. A nopon everyone makes fun of by calling her "Miss Sweetness", so she starts a new life in Colony 6. The Heropon ritual, and nopon citizens who respect the title but would never want it for themselves. The village's entire industry about manufacturing pollen orbs (the city design being mostly based around this). The underground drug cartel involved in red pollen orbs, which are produced by (or go through) Zazadan in Satorl Marsh, go through a mule in the frontier village, and get sold to the High Entia in Alcamoth. I assume it's like PCP or something, as there's a young nopon in Colony 9 who you give a red pollen orb so he can beat his brother in a fight (they make Nopon very strong).

Most of these are just in the background for those who want to dive deeper. It's world building. Depth.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Yeah there's definitely nothing like that in XCX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

TurnipFritter posted:

Yeah there's definitely nothing like that in XCX.

Not necessarily, there seems to be a lot of interesting behind the scenes interactions or insinuations when it comes to all the alien races in this game.

Humans taking advantage of xenos to recycle trash and get rich on their ignorance.
Humans kidnapping and killing xenos out of fear they're secretly infiltrating humanity (sound familiar?)
Clan rivalry of Prones that eventually seek asylum in NLA.
Orphean's procreation difficulties and their deep-seeded homesickness.
Professor B's evolutionary timeline.
The Nopon still wheeling and dealing by taking advantage of business situations.

There are some legit cool and interesting storylines the game sets up but doesn't do justice to. The issue is that the game spreads these races and stories too thin, just like they spread your party interaction thin by being able to recruit 20 loving people. That, and I don't fully get what the point of resolving issues or building affinity for the NPCs is in this game. In XBC it'd build you up to five stars, which would unlock the whatever branches. In this game it doesn't seem to do much?

• Locked thread