Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Philthy posted:

Yeah, I thought they didn't mention it was Roswell. The ship looked fake as hell, too. But I couldn't tell if it was bad CGI or if they were purposely trying to throw out some clues. Then they gunned the alien down in front of the medic for no reason. But then they show the medic was carrying the dead alien around, so he would have known it was a fake. It felt like it was entirely staged just for that medic, but who knows why.

It was all to confuse Mulder. The conspiracy against Mulder started before he was even born.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I dunno, I thought it was alright. Pretty dry and stilted, but very much in keeping with the style of the mythos episodes they've done in the past. Of course those have never been my favourites, but I'm not sure how it's massively disappointing or anything. Sveta was a really godawful actress though.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Slate Action posted:

It was all to confuse Mulder. The conspiracy against Mulder started before he was even born.

Oh god they better not go all time travel on us or I'm out.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Was there a point to Sveta having mind reading powers? Or was it just an excuse to have some more exposition about Mulder and Scully's relationship?

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

piratepilates posted:

Now watch as the ratings for episode 2 plummet after people saw what the first episode was like.

If it does half those numbers tonight Fox will probably be thrilled.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Slate Action posted:

Was there a point to Sveta having mind reading powers? Or was it just an excuse to have some more exposition about Mulder and Scully's relationship?

Probably this, tbh. Although, it supports the plot point that she (and the other female abductees from 30 years ago maybe) are genetic hybrids.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.
God damnit. I got all excited over this, even when I knew I shouldn't. That episode last night was horrible. I don't think I want to believe anymore.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Maybe I just am suffering from nostalgia, but I re-watched the entire series up to AGENT DOGGETT like I did during the original run over the summer. It was every bit as awesome (and in some cases moreso) than I remembered.I know a lot of X-Files fans prefer the MOTW episodoes, but I'm always a fan of the mythos episodes. Yes, the MOTW episodes had some amazing ones, but I just really enjoyed the show's ties into the mythos. Part of that though is that when I was a kid and watched the show I was a big believer of alien abduction poo poo so...

This episode though was full on crazy, even for the X-Files. Like even Mulder would laugh at some of the poo poo the Lone Gunmen believed in. This was just so pants on head crazy, especially after Kritschgau S4/S5 told him the exact same thing.

I think an unfortunate problem the X-Files and conspiracy shows have that they didn't in the 90s is that virtually all this poo poo is easily debunked if you bother to look at all so it's silly in a lot of ways. Looking at that teaser article it looks like they'll make a joke about it, but the reality of UFO sightings not going through the roof when everyone has a cell phone camera is hard to sell anymore. The 90s were a great time for conspiracy shows though.

Also apparently the 90s were much better about timing. Dear God. That episode was just a mess in many ways, and while it wasn't awful, it wasn't good. It definitely tried to do too much at once.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
My biggest gripe (besides the two important info dumps done in rushed 30 second monologues) was how they immediately showed an alien, a ufo, a government craft, etc within the first five minutes instead of slowly leading up to it. "Here's all the crap the show is known for so you don't change the channel after the post game". That's some serious season 9 bullshit.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Yeah I think the main problem was this episode just moved too damned fast and tried too much. The X-Files usually moved at a more deliberate pace even in its mythology episodes. This one was almost like Carter knew he only had 6 episodes so he had to cram as much poo poo in as he could.

I'm hoping the monster of the weeks move at more the pace we're used to. I suspect they will.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.
All three of you are spot-on. What kills me is that both movies do a much better job at filling the noobs in on what they've missed at a pace that still makes it intriguing. I feel like this entire first episode was just a throw away on bringing everyone who hasn't watched up to speed. It's almost like they made a deliberate effort to make this one for that stand-alone purpose. How many seconds of actual series plot did we get here?

The thing I appreciated the most was how much that made me want to go back and watch the original series all over again, which was obviously excellent. I'm going to give this series one final shot with tonight's episode, but they're on a short lease and need to right this ship in a hurry.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Slate Action posted:

Turns out the conspiracy leader is the OSS agent that Mulder met in 1939 from Triangle.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
We are the aliens all along.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Vintersorg posted:

Anyone saying this was awful clearly never watched a lot of the Doggett and Reyes years.

I skipped every bit of it. I have zero interest in an X-Files show without Mulder and Scully.

So this was pretty iffy to me. It wasn't the worst though, but it was just too stupid to exist. I'd rather have Alien Bounty Hunters stabbing each other in the back of the neck with metal pens than this illuminati poo poo.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
The illuminati poo poo was always part of the X-Files though? It was just the Illuminati working with/for Aliens.

And if you expect the "no aliens" current theory to hold true all season I will simply say, I disagree.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Thinking about it some more, the Roswell crash we were shown in the episode actually doesn't match any of the "traditional" accounts of the Roswell myth - the location, the conditions of the crash, the aliens, etc. Of course, this also could be Chris Carter not really caring to look up any of those details.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
There will definitely be real aliens this season

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

also, I thought that humans doing this poo poo was pretty much known to all the characters? Didn't Scully reveal it was people doing the abductions? Or I am i just misremembering?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
This episode is basically everything that is wrong with everything that is on network TV.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
There are a few reasons this newest 'it was only the government all along' plot will turn out to be fake:

- Taking it as literally true involves Tad O'Malley being a good guy when he obviously is not.
- It would involve retconning basically the entire mythology, including all the 'aliens are actually, really real' scenes throughout the series. (See: the scene from Season...4? where Deep Throat executes an alien on Christmas.)
- It's a clear rehash of/callback to the Season 5 plot, which also featured Mulder coming to the conclusion that 'it was only the government all along' and which also turned out to be fake.
- Basically anytime Mulder has a huge epiphany and gets a ton of info dumped on him at once, it turns out to be 90% - 100% bullshit. This should still hold true. (See: Season 1 and 'I'm just deciding which lie to believe.')

Slate Action fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jan 25, 2016

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

also, I thought that humans doing this poo poo was pretty much known to all the characters? Didn't Scully reveal it was people doing the abductions? Or I am i just misremembering?

Humans and Aliens both abducted people for experimentation. Scully's abduction and impregnation was by humans, iirc.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Okay cool. That's what I thought. Which is fine, I like the idea. I just didn't think it was a big revelation in the series at this point.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Okay cool. That's what I thought. Which is fine, I like the idea. I just didn't think it was a big revelation in the series at this point.

It shouldn't have been, I agree with that. Mulder and Scully really come off like newbies in the revival and it was weird.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Slate Action posted:

There are a few reasons this newest 'it was only the government all along' plot will turn out to be fake:

- Taking it as literally true involves Tad O'Malley being a good guy when he obviously is not.
- It would involve retconning basically the entire mythology, including all the 'aliens are actually, really real' scenes throughout the series. (See: the scene from Season...4? where Deep Throat executes an alien on Christmas.)
- It's a clear rehash of/callback to the Season 5 plot, which also featured Mulder coming to the conclusion that 'it was only the government all along' and which also turned out to be fake.
- Basically anytime Mulder has a huge epiphany and gets a ton of info dumped on him at once, it turns out to be 90% - 100% bullshit. This should still hold true. (See: Season 1 and 'I'm just deciding which lie to believe.')

To point number two, the episode yesterday didn't say the aliens were not real. It said that they weren't abducting people, but that they crashlanded on Earth and the government stole their tech and used it for their own ends.

Under this latest arc, the aliens are real, but the abductions are actually done by humans using stolen alien tech.

That's different from the season 5 plot which is where Mulder was led to believe that aliens never existed at all. He doesn't dispute that the government is using alien tech now, but he disputes that the aliens are doing the abductions.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Y'all are a bunch of whiners, of course it was going to suck, it's a Chris Carter episode. If all this new season accomplishes is getting us one more Darin Morgan episode then we've won, and if they somehow get another set of six episodes out of this and we get one more Vince Gilligan episode we'll have won again.

SaltyMoose
Jan 4, 2013

no seriously stop

MacheteZombie posted:

It shouldn't have been, I agree with that. Mulder and Scully really come off like newbies in the revival and it was weird.

I'm guessing they try to make it twist for people who haven't seen series back then. :shrug: Still kinda dumb.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Ginette Reno posted:

To point number two, the episode yesterday didn't say the aliens were not real. It said that they weren't abducting people, but that they crashlanded on Earth and the government stole their tech and used it for their own ends.

Under this latest arc, the aliens are real, but the abductions are actually done by humans using stolen alien tech.

That's different from the season 5 plot which is where Mulder was led to believe that aliens never existed at all. He doesn't dispute that the government is using alien tech now, but he disputes that the aliens are doing the abductions.

Fair enough. There's always been a certain vagueness regarding whether the abductions are being carried out by aliens, the government, or aliens and the government. Remember how Duane Barry tells his abduction story twice, once where he blames aliens and once where he blames aliens plus men in black? The implication is that the difference is almost academic; conspiracy nuts just need to believe in a conspiracy, they barely care what the details even are. Mulder falling in with O'Malley is like a drug addict having a relapse.

WarEternal posted:

If all this new season accomplishes is getting us one more Darin Morgan episode then we've won, and if they somehow get another set of six episodes out of this and we get one more Vince Gilligan episode we'll have won again.

I'll agree with this.

Slate Action fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jan 25, 2016

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007
Some people were really not paying attention. Aliens are real they just aren't malevolent (at least according to the new theory being expounded) Basically they came here as scientists and tourists after the nuclear age started to check out what was going on with us and a few have crashed and the worldwide conspiracy uses all that bullshit to trick people. I'm imagining there's more or we might not have the full story but aliens are definitely still a thing, even if humans are the ones doing most or all of the abductions.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
The friendly aliens thing is something I think we've heard before on the show, but that doesn't really jive with whatever the hell was going on with the black oil unless it's now a terrestrial substance that just happens to turn people into things that look like greys and also lets them blast radiation all over the place. Oh gently caress I'm trying to make sense of the mytharc. I should know better than this.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

But we've seen The Syndicate talk about Aliens colonizing planets. We've seen gigantic Alien ships filled with human beings with Aliens inside of them.

And of course, we've seen warring Alien races lighting each other on fire.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

CelticPredator posted:

But we've seen The Syndicate talk about Aliens colonizing planets. We've seen gigantic Alien ships filled with human beings with Aliens inside of them.

Swamp gas.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

CelticPredator posted:

That was part of the conspiracy against the user. They don't want us to know the truth

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Your scientists have yet to discover how neural networks create self-consciousness, let alone how the human brain processes two-dimensional retinal images into the three-dimensional phenomenon known as perception. Yet you somehow brazenly declare that seeing is believing!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

piratepilates posted:

That was part of the conspiracy against the user. They don't want us to know the truth

CSM is a devious bastard. He knows he's in a TV Show.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
After rewatching Utopia recently, I have to say it is in a completely different stratosphere from the xfiles new edition.

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007
I mean, the new theory doesn't exactly jive (yet) with all that we know and have seen but that alien was totally an alien

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Chairman Capone posted:

The idea that the real conspiracy is that CSM & Friends are killing the aliens to stop the nice aliens from saving us and then stealing their tech is so ridiculous I really like it.

Having it explained like this makes me 100% on board with this crazy train :toot:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

The Glumslinger posted:

Having it explained like this makes me 100% on board with this crazy train :toot:

All according to plan...

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Its cool everyone thinks thwy know thw direction of the show and are bitching about it from the first episode. gently caress off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
The other weird thing is I thought you had to pierce the aliens at the base of the neck to kill them and that bullets didn't do poo poo to them really. So that alien that got shot up shouldn't have had many problems unless it got hit in it's g spot.

Or maybe that was just for the bounty hunters.

• Locked thread