Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

let's see how the internet envisages the bounty hunter

ok that's pretty cool

haha

wait what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
suddenly it's all too clear what the Ancestor was hoping to achieve with his pig experiments

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

frest posted:

You're going to get Jester-specific trinkets,
Money in your pocket.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
a fun party is Arbalest-Occultist-Bounty Hunter-Leper

Occultist marks, Arbalest murders the mark, BH yanks stuff to the front row where the Leper murders it

Leper can also self-heal and stress heal with a PROT bonus, and the BH benefits from the mark as well

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Just met The Collector :negative:

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Zaphod42 posted:

Challenge of the month: Play with only Jesters

That doesn't seem very hard considering you can give all your enemies -40 accuracy on the first turn before they move because jesters are pretty fast.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

I tried this.

Here's how it went.

Total number of fights: 1. (Granted, it was the Shambler.)

I'm totally going to try again next time I have 4 jesters available, though. I WILL MAKE THIS WORK (and then complain to the thread when it doesn't work).

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Done.

God drat this thread is moving fast now that the game's out, I can barely keep up!

If anybody wants to write a new tutorial for new players just post it and I'll add it to the OP.

The first and most important piece of advice is to accept that you are not going to get through this 100% everything perfect. You're going to take characters into dungeon with all sorts of negative quirks and it won't be feasible to cure them all, you're going to make runs with characters you don't have the cash to upgrade fully, you're probably going to have a few people die just from the vagaries of chance, and you're going to cut your losses and retreat from dungeons before you finish the mission.

IN-TOWN ADVICE:

The very first thing you should do once you have access to the town is upgrade the stagecoach so that it gives you 4 new guys every week. If you ever need to, you can grab all four of them, throw them into whatever mission looks interesting without any more than the barest minimum of supplies (or even no supplies at all), run through grabbing as much loot as possible, retreat before all of them die, and kick out the half-broken messes that survived. This carries no penalty except time, and if you're death spiraling really badly it can give you enough cash to fit out a reasonable expedition.

Don't be afraid to dismiss heroes. Especially before you've upgraded the Sanitarium, Abbey, and Bar, getting low-level heroes back into fighting trim can cost way more than it's worth, compared to just grabbing another guy off the stagecoach. On the other hand, high level heroes take a huge amount of time to replace, so think carefully before dismissing anybody above level 2.

The Tavern and Guild compete for upgrade items, as do the Stagecoach and Blacksmith, and the Sanitarium and Abbey. Make your upgrade decisions appropriately. The skill upgrades in the Guild boost accuracy, special effect power, and crit rate; weapon upgrades boost damage, speed, and crit rate; armor upgrades boost HP and Dodge. Skill, armor, and weapon upgrades require that the hero be high enough level - don't bother upgrading your blacksmith to level 5 weaponsmithing if your roster is all at level 2. (Early game, I like to put Busts in the Abbey, Portraits in the Guild, and split Deeds between roster size and Blacksmith upgrades, but feel free to do whatever feels good to you.)

Most quirks aren't that big a deal. The only quirk which is pretty much demands a cure is Kleptomania, which will cost you way more in lost items than it will to cure. If they directly impact your character's primary in-battle function, you may want to cure them, otherwise you can probably live with it.

You can sell trinkets by open up the trinket menu and shift-clicking them. After a while you will have a lot of low-level trash trinkets which can give you a good emergency boost. The Nomad Wagon is not very important to me; there are plenty of other good ways to spend your gold, and you will get enough trinkets just from running through dungeons. If you have a lot of spare money it can be worth it to check sometimes, in case something good but rare shows up.

EMBARKATION ADVICE:

Tailor your party the challenges you are about to face. The Weald and Warrens have many enemies which are resistant to blight and the Weald frequently blights your characters; the Ruins and Cove are resistant to bleed and the Cove inflicts a lot of bleed. The Ruins have a lot of Unholy enemies; the Warrens, Beasts; the Weald, Humans; and the Cove, Eldritch monsters.

After your heroes level up past a certain point, they will refuse to go on low-level missions. This is annoying, but constantly grinding low-level dungeons with overpowered heroes would be boring and more annoying. Go on the higher-level missions. Don't worry if they aren't completely upgraded; even a level 0 hero fresh off the coach can be carried through a high level dungeon if their companions are good. As long as you're smart about cutting your losses you can get through dungeons with a team of suboptimal characters.

Train up your whole roster, don't just focus on one A-team and one B-team. This spreads out your effectiveness so a single loss isn't crippling, lets your heroes have more time passively losing stress which can save some cash, and gives you more leeway on catching boss fights before your characters level past them.

For a high-mid light run, I like to take 8 torches + 4 per camp. (So, 12 on a Medium run.) I also like to take 2 meals + 1 meal per camp + a feast at each camp; this totals to 8 food + 12 per camp, though it may be more or less if you get the right trinkets and quirks. Take 1 shovel + 1 per camp to clear blockages, or an extra if you want to be on the safe side. I like to have at least one key in case I find a secret room. Whether to take other items depends on the dungeon you're going to; they can either be used on curios, or in response to status effects. (Note that Medicinal Herbs will clear any debuff, including things like the Hellion's self debuff)

"100% room battles" missions are usually the shortest, and therefore easiest, type, though if you're unlucky they can require you to visit every room; "explore 90% of rooms" the next easiest but more consistent; and "use/find 3 items" the worst because the items fill your inventory and can be hidden in corridors. Bosses are, as far as I can tell, universally found in the room farthest away from your starting position.

I usually find Long runs not worth it. They're more difficult, and your inventory will be filled up enough that you'll have to throw stuff away unless you are literally 100% done with town upgrades and don't care about heirlooms any more. You'd get about as much stuff from a Medium, so don't bother unless the reward is a trinket you really want. Whether Short or Medium runs are easier depends on your party's camping skills; in the right circumstances, taking your party to a Medium dungeon can actually serve to destress your team.

When you're starting out, you will probably want at least one healer on any non-suicide run. I count Vestal and Occultist as healers and Plague Doctor, Crusader, Arbalest, or anyone with a self-heal as half of a healer. You can also take along extra food for supplemental healing. As long as you're killing stuff reasonably quickly and taking advantage of stuns, you won't actually need as much healing as you think, but it's still nice to have in an emergency.

DUNGEON WANDERING:

Retreating is sometimes the right choice. Pushing on because you are determined to beat this goddamn mission and the next room can't be that bad is the #1 cause of hero death. To do so, click the white flag at the top left corner of the screen.

You will lose 6 light per unexplored corridor tile, and 1 light when backtracking over a tile. This means, approximately, 1 torch per corridor. Low light stresses you out more and makes monsters more dangerous, but also gives you more loot and critical hits.

Curios (the things in the background that you interact with, like treasure chests) can be good or bad. You can experiment to try to discover what items are good on what, or you can look it up. If you aren't sure what a curio does and you're having a hard time in a dungeon, better safe than sorry.

You can hover over the symbols on the dungeon map to figure out what the symbols mean. On the 3-Item quests, the quest targets have the same image on the minimap as curios, but a different hover text.

You can find secret rooms by scouting, which happens randomly when entering a room. To use them, move to the correct corridor tile, then either press W or click on the background. If you have a key, you can use it on the chest to get a huge amount of cash.

When to camp, and what to do while camping, is a difficult question to answer. Generally, you can use it either to recover HP and stress or to buff up for the next 4 fights, depending on what camping skills you have unlocked. The Grave Robber and Plague Doctor can also use it to clear diseases. Every time you camp, unless you use one of a few camp skills, you also have a chance to get ambushed while sleeping, which will shuffle your party and throw you into a fight at 0 light. I like to use camping primarily for buffing and only moderately for recovery.

You can swap out camping and battle skills while in a dungeon, but not while in the middle of a fight or while camping. This means you can, for example, swap between the Crusader's heal and stress-recovery abilities between fights depending on which you are lower on right now.

IN-COMBAT ADVICE:

Be proactive. Attacking an enemy is usually better than healing, buffing, or debuffing; killing a damaged enemy and wasting a bunch of potential damage is better than damaging a healthy enemy and leaving both alive. On the other hand, stuns are extremely powerful. Even denying a single enemy a single turn has a good chance of preventing more than the healing ability you are itching to use would restore. Healing is usually best done when a fight has been reduced to one or two enemies and the rest of your team can lock them down, or when someone is in a crisis RIGHT NOW and you need to fix it immediately.

DOTs tick immediately before the character or monster takes their action. If an enemy has 2 HP and a 3-damage-per-turn DOT, they are already dead. Ignore them.

If your character is above 0 HP they are not at immediate risk of death; you have to take damage while already at Death's Door in order to die. (But be aware that they could be hit twice in a row by monsters, or take an attack that inflicts a DOT and die to that.)

Most random encounters are, approximately, one or two guys at the front being hard to kill, and two guys at the back spamming annoying things (damage/stress, sometimes status effects or diseases). Focus-firing the last two rows down, or knocking them far enough out of position, will usually make your day a lot easier.

Retreating, once more, is sometimes the right choice. Top-left corner again, though it takes up the active hero's turn and has a chance to fail. Afterwards you may wish either to fight the battle again (if, for example, your party got shuffled way out of position) or just to leave the dungeon entirely.

Lyrax
Aug 17, 2008

Favorite Food: Milksteak
Hobby: Magnets
Dislikes: People's knees

Zaphod42 posted:

Imagine four fools on the edge of madness. A Finale of the Jester nearest the edge sends him to the back of the line and takes the place of the fourth Jester. And so on. Your mind works the same way.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Good work, covers all the basics pretty well. Added.

Lyrax posted:

Imagine four fools on the edge of madness. A Finale of the Jester nearest the edge sends him to the back of the line and takes the place of the fourth Jester. And so on. Your mind works the same way.

:golfclap:

Now I've gotta name a Jester as Johnny Fiveaces

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
i like the collector b/c he let me give dismas his own head to carry around like a good luck charm.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

19 Weeks in, no deaths, killed the Necromancer, and my people are starting to outlevel the early fights/dungeons.

Time to see what the next tier is like.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

paranoid randroid posted:

i like the collector b/c he let me give dismas his own head to carry around like a good luck charm.

You can find heads in secret rooms fyi, they occasionally take the place of dodecahedrons

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Sloober posted:

You can find heads in secret rooms fyi, they occasionally take the place of dodecahedrons

man thats even creepier. just opening a box you found in a supply closet and finding your own head in it apropos of nothing.

at least when you get it from the collector, it kind of makes sense in context.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Night10194 posted:

19 Weeks in, no deaths, killed the Necromancer, and my people are starting to outlevel the early fights/dungeons.

Time to see what the next tier is like.

overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
lmao just killed Collector in two rounds taking only 3 damage (from show collection)

Round 1: Bounty Hunter: death mark ----> Grave Robber: throw dagger -------> Arbalest: snipe --------> Hellion: iron swan

Round 2: Bounty Hunter: flashbang -----> everyone else same move ----> collector dead -----> only attacks from little collections are dodged

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Chadzok posted:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I did it! I achieved total victory! :toot:

I am amazing. Go me. Couldn't of done this any better. :downs:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Exactly this happened on my last boss fight, three times in a row, resulting in the death of my heroic Bounty Hunter. RIP.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I wish the "Unequip all trinkets" button had a confirmation window. I always click it thinking it is the "Sort by rarity" button instead.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jan 25, 2016

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Chadzok posted:

This place is horrific, e'n so I feel at ease.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
yo i dont remember whose advice on the shambler was "kill shambler first and ignore the little things as they buff themselves" but your advice sucked, dude

turns out the little things continue to exist after the big guy eats it. SALT.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The little things stack a buff on themselves every time they attack so if you don't kill them they will become super strong and wreck your party.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i was actually trying to keep them down but they dodged two rakes in a row and after that point they got a little too hot to handle

my mistake was thinking killing the big dude would solve things a bit, which was a really dumb mistake on my part. should have booked it, since i had to run in the end anyways.

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

I can't help but feel it's kind of a waste to lock in +10% PROT attributes that my two jesters rolled together, but god drat you can't pass that up, can you?

Also, RIP my only skilled plague doctor:

Killed by a friendly grave robber that got mind controlled

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

So uh, is there any penalty whatsoever to throwing a fresh batch of stagecoach recruits into dungeons with no light to farm loot for months on end?

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
Other than boredom, there's no downside unless you're on NG+.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

victrix posted:

So uh, is there any penalty whatsoever to throwing a fresh batch of stagecoach recruits into dungeons with no light to farm loot for months on end?

Nope, and that's how you recover from seriously loving up your game. There is no hard game fail state.

That said, obviously you're going to stress the gently caress out of those dudes and so you'll have to keep hiring and sacking dudes each time, but that's totally a legit way to get some scratch together if you're broke.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
GR flashing daggers Jester Harvest with bleed chance trinket BH flashbang the rank 4 enemy MAA rampart with the shield trinket that gives 40% stun and movement.

this combo makes the jester pretty good at lower levels imho. vs skeletons you can dirk stab over and over until you hit the front rank then finale to the back which is decent atleast (maa and bh dont really care too much about being shoved around). ive had amazing success vs brigands with this lineup.

Turn 2 flashing dagger and harvest again, riposte the rank 3 enemy and he should die from the bleed tick, the rank 4 enemy hits the Maa and dies because of the bleed, the big guy uses the whip and then gets hit by riposte. so when turn 2 is done its just the big guy left and hes been hit by flashing daggers + harvest twice and the riposte.

tldr jester has synergy with shuffle stuns

Slaapaav fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jan 26, 2016

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Do (de)buffs and DoTs stack infinitely, or do they roll off as the original cast time expires, or what?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Ciaphas posted:

Do (de)buffs and DoTs stack infinitely, or do they roll off as the original cast time expires, or what?

real edit: each cast of a buff / debuff lasts 3 turns. each additional cast will apply another layer(to a max of 3 due to the duration), but the first layer will not refresh.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jan 26, 2016

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Ciaphas posted:

they roll off as the original cast time expires

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Nature herself... a victim of the spreading corruption...

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I once had a Bounty Hunter that developed the deviant tastes quirk after killing the swine king. I think he drew that picture.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
could take an eye out with those nipples... :pirate:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Doctor Schnabel posted:

could take an eye out with those nipples... :pirate:

A singular strike!

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

I think the only thing I could really ask for now is an option to speed through battle animations.

edit: Also a hotkey to alternate between map and backpack view

house of the dad fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jan 26, 2016

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
There's something badass about a guy that Falcon punches giant monsters to knock them out. I swear the Bounty Hunter is the games version of Batman.

SomeIdiot
Apr 2, 2014

gigawhite posted:

I think the only thing I could really ask for now is an option to speed through battle animations.

edit: Also a hotkey to alternate between map and backpack view

Try hitting tab, bud!
No dice on the first bit tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007
Something I just learned: if you kill a boss proper but run away from its entourage, it still counts as completing the mission.

In related news, the Swine God is a son of a bitch more because of Wilbur's stuns than anything else, and I lost 3 people to that fight. Bringing along an Arbalest to clear marks sounds like it would be a good idea, as does having an Occultist to Weakening Curse him into uselessness, but if Wilbur chainstuns your frontliners to death, they will not be able to do very much when they get forced to the front. RIP Reynauld, Veci the Occultist, and Durville the Man-at-Arms, your sacrifice was enough to kill the Swine God and let Guernon run away.