Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Is Bolt Action any good? The Soviet Naval stuff is breaking me and possibly my wallet!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

moths posted:

No worries, I was hoping Bolt Action was going to flesh out their Pacific stuff.

Any word on Tanks? I'm surprisingly excited for a fast-play tank game, but their title choice makes it hard to Google.

http://us-store.warlordgames.com/collections/bolt-action/products/empires-in-flames-the-pacific-and-the-far-east-bolt-action-theatre-book

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Oh what the heck, I always thought that was the Italy / North Africa book based on the title.

"Empires" being ancient Rome and Egypt.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It really doesn't help when every WWII game uses the same few names for their books.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

I have this, and in terms of variety its pretty great. For China you have a couple scenarios/theatre selectors, army lists for Communist, Nationalist, and Warlord Chinese forces, army list for Japanese Army in China, and an army list for the 1945 Soviet invasion of Manchuria. Then you've got lists/scenarios for Japan invading the DEI and Phillipines, some cool army lists scenarios for the battles/raids in Burma, then finally some scenarios for Guadalcanal and Tarawa.

Oddly, the Soviet/Japanese border clashes are in the Ostfront book instead though.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

BeigeJacket posted:

Is Bolt Action 2nd ed confirmed then?

It's a very strong system, but there are a few tweaks I'd like to see. Tanks need to be a tad more survivable - I've played lots of games where whoever drew the first dice just instantly blatted the enemy armour. Artillery and air strikes rules could be streamlined.

It isn't yet confirmed

Flipswitch posted:

Is Bolt Action any good? The Soviet Naval stuff is breaking me and possibly my wallet!
I love it. It has a few quirks but it is super accessible. Extremely easy to play with lots of strategy.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

muggins posted:

It isn't yet confirmed

There's only that amazon page listing the rulebook as available in September.

EDIT: Ordered the non-motostrelky part of my 6mm 50 points FoW TY Soviet list. Give me a month or two, and I'll have a 50 points American list. For all the traditional talk of platoons vs companies, the numbers won't be that different.

And while the FoW ration of 1 BMP to 1 AK-47 team and 1 RPG-7 team seem realistic enough (7 dismounts), what would be the realistic amount of dude per base for M113 dismounts? Currently, the ratio is 1 M113 to 1 M249 SAW Team and 0.6 Dragon Team. Would it be 4 dudes on the M249 team and 4 on Dragon? Currently, FoW store shows 4 dudes in the MG team and 2 in dragon, which is strange considering the carrying capacity of M113.

I'm probably barking up the wrong tree, because TY is already skipping platoon command structure like it ain't no thing...

Oh, and I ordered trial M113 and M1s, too. I also got a Centurion Mk 13 because gently caress yeah Centurions.

JcDent fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jan 27, 2016

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I won't be basing for Team Yankee, so I just bought paper TO&Es for various units. I'll post links to what I used when I'm on my home PC next.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

JcDent posted:

There's only that amazon page listing the rulebook as available in September.

Right, and WLG has officially said they can't confirm that.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Hey nerds, I'm gonna be in Berlin and Munich this fall (and Amsterdam, Florence, and Rome). Is there any miniature game related stuff in those cities that I should check out? Already stopping in Hamburg for the Miniature Wunterlund.

Unrelated: Any of you guys in Chicago and playing SAGA?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

DiHK posted:

Hey nerds, I'm gonna be in Berlin and Munich this fall (and Amsterdam, Florence, and Rome). Is there any miniature game related stuff in those cities that I should check out? Already stopping in Hamburg for the Miniature Wunterlund.

The only one I know about is Berliner Zinnfiguren & Preußisches Bücherkabinett, which my dad always visits every time he's in Berlin. Haven't been there myself, though.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

DiHK posted:

I think I've seen some guys at the Dice Dojo playing SAGA on tuesdays. Is that the ancients game where people get pushed back unless you get double their result?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Kaza42 posted:

I think I've seen some guys at the Dice Dojo playing SAGA on tuesdays. Is that the ancients game where people get pushed back unless you get double their result?

Nah, that's DBA.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

lilljonas posted:

The only one I know about is Berliner Zinnfiguren & Preußisches Bücherkabinett, which my dad always visits every time he's in Berlin. Haven't been there myself, though.
I've been there. It's mostly "flats" and prepainted stuff really. I bought a single bottle of Vallejo English Uniform. Worth taking a look I guess.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

lilljonas posted:

Nah, that's DBA.

Now that you mention it, yeah. My bad, I just play Flames of War. It's still a good place to check out, you can ask around if anyone plays SAGA, they play all sorts of stuff there

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Kaza42 posted:

Now that you mention it, yeah. My bad, I just play Flames of War. It's still a good place to check out, you can ask around if anyone plays SAGA, they play all sorts of stuff there

When I was in the city I went pretty regularly on Historical night for Flames. Never saw anyone bring SAGA. I'm in a SW burb now and I've a baby so the friction to go up to Andersonville/Uptown is a little too much.

There's a local store with some warmahordes dudes that I'm gonna try and convert from their foolishness. Just as soon as I get the other half of these armies put together.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I'm considering basing a table on a War Thunder map, wondering how good a gameplay environment for one translates to the other...

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Quite well if it's Berlin or Poland or any of the flatter maps!

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

JcDent posted:

Quite well if it's Berlin or Poland or any of the flatter maps!

I figured someone had already tried it :D

JcDent
May 13, 2013

i haven't, but I like spitballin'. Berlin is flattish, provides for infantry cover (just carve the map out of a foam board) with easy to build ruins. Center is fun for tanks

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

JcDent posted:

i haven't, but I like spitballin'. Berlin is flattish, provides for infantry cover (just carve the map out of a foam board) with easy to build ruins. Center is fun for tanks

I wonder what Poland would play like with it's massive gently caress-off lake in the middle of the map.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

spectralent posted:

with it's massive gently caress-off lake in the middle of the map.

t:mad:

unless you're talking about an actual game map and not Hitler's plan to put a massive gently caress-off lake instead of Warsaw

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jan 28, 2016

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

the lake is a wonderful place to float around in a pt-76 pissing people off.

It is in fact probably a bad idea for a game, but I am curious.

EDIT:

Pierzak posted:

unless you're talking about an actual game map and not Hitler's plan to put a massive gently caress-off lake instead of Warsaw

Oh. Oh. :stare:

Okay, yeah, no; there's a map in War Thunder named Poland, and the arrangement of it has a forest to the south of the center line, a town to the north, and a huge-rear end lake taking up the space in between them. Sorry :stonk:

Further, possibly redeeming thoughts about adapting game maps:

Mozdok would be tricky because the entire thing is basically cross country with a few houses scattered around. I guess you could make hills everywhere?

Poland has the lake which is impassable but totally free-firing, and the city which has loads of roads but very short fire lanes. Might be interesting.

Kursk is also just a massive open plain with loads of hills and also people probably already did kursk. Kuban is also tons of hills. Gaijin makes tons of maps that're just loads of hills, wtf

Jungle could be cool with numerous river fords, the bridges, and the center and north rises to play on, as well as lots of sections of foliage.

Karelia... Might actually be good as a FoW map? Even if it is technically also "just loads of hills". You've got several distinct fire lanes and they're not all easy to cover, plus the cool central hill with narrow access routes.

Carpathians would have the same issue Carpathians does in game of being a clear shot spawn-to-spawn for most of the map.

Eastern Europe would definitely be rad; basically a city fight but the river breaks up the city quite nicely, and there's the forest and fuel dumps outside the city... Probably also high up on the "would play" list.

White Rock would be pretty interesting too, actually; the old french fort thing means there's lots of hard breaking terrain everywhere, and I imagine infantry would have a field day in the central castle. Also it's quite compact which might make it easier to fit on a board.

Ash River is probably also horrible given huge fire lanes across the middle and north and the fact it's 90% mud.

Hurtgen might be cool but is also a loving huge map. Maybe just pick a segment and do something? Normandy is probably covered fine by existing Normandy maps, but the farm segment down south is neat.

Berlin's central mud river is probably a pretty good aspect, and the reichstag is probably infantry playground territory. I don't think anyone would willingly want to enter the gate if they weren't spawned there, though, coming out of it is just horrible.

Finland is a neat map, but probably not a good one for a tabletop game; there's essentially three preplanned lines of advance and crossing is hard.

Stalingrad plant could be good if you covered it with as many half-built and half-blown-up tanks as are in the game. Intact it might be a bit fire-lane-y.

Advance to the Rhine is also cool for similar reasons to berlin but with less mud.

El Alameine I don't play enough, Tunisia would be cool, especially setting up a town-fight on the right flank.

spectralent fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jan 28, 2016

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Berlin has enough ruined buildings to give infantry plenty cover all around the map (except the center, which is there to make tanks make bogging checks).

I played Warthunder for more than a 100 hours, and still I can't remember which map is which. Generally, I'd say the ones that are predominantly forest would be hard to pull off.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

JcDent posted:

Berlin has enough ruined buildings to give infantry plenty cover all around the map (except the center, which is there to make tanks make bogging checks).

I played Warthunder for more than a 100 hours, and still I can't remember which map is which. Generally, I'd say the ones that are predominantly forest would be hard to pull off.

Yeah, Jungle would be hard to do but :krad: if you could make it.

I think the ones I'd actually want to do would be Whiterock Fortress (old french castle map), Eastern Europe (town built along the canal with a fuel station on an overlooking hill), Poland (big lake in the middle), Karelia (the one with the big hill in the middle the cap site is on and where the spawns start facing each other over a gully everyone tries to have sniper duels in), and Berlin (Berlin),

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

spectralent posted:

Oh. Oh. :stare:

Okay, yeah, no; there's a map in War Thunder named Poland, and the arrangement of it has a forest to the south of the center line, a town to the north, and a huge-rear end lake taking up the space in between them. Sorry :stonk:
No offence taken. Are there any town names or identifying marks on that map? I could look up some old military map scans or something.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

spectralent posted:

Yeah, Jungle would be hard to do but :krad: if you could make it.

I think the ones I'd actually want to do would be Whiterock Fortress (old french castle map), Eastern Europe (town built along the canal with a fuel station on an overlooking hill), Poland (big lake in the middle), Karelia (the one with the big hill in the middle the cap site is on and where the spawns start facing each other over a gully everyone tries to have sniper duels in), and Berlin (Berlin),

Jungle ain't nothing hard in comparison to Karelia! Also, a much more fun map in general.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Them TO&E resources I mentioned earlier: http://coldwargamer.blogspot.ie/2012/06/review-web-resources-armoured-acorn.html

http://coldwargamer.blogspot.ie/p/blog-resources.html

The ones on Armoured Acorn are particularly nicely laid out for vehicles at least.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

JcDent posted:

Jungle ain't nothing hard in comparison to Karelia! Also, a much more fun map in general.

Yeah, Karelia is poo poo in game, but I'm thinking all those windy paths could be neat in terms of the game. But, I dunno! Maybe it'd be dumb.

ed:

Pierzak posted:

No offence taken. Are there any town names or identifying marks on that map? I could look up some old military map scans or something.

Sorry, almost missed this. I don't think so, but here's a highres pic that for some reason leaves out the forest below the lake:

spectralent fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Jan 29, 2016

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Note the you mostly fight in a rectangle around the city and the lake, the rest is dressing for pilots.

spectralent posted:

Yeah, Karelia is poo poo in game, but I'm thinking all those windy paths could be neat in terms of the game. But, I dunno! Maybe it'd be dumb.

I also dislike the one three level map with a blown train/bridge and a cap point on small, bridge connected hill. Would look stupid on tabletop, too.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

JcDent posted:

Note the you mostly fight in a rectangle around the city and the lake, the rest is dressing for pilots.

The area north of the town does extend up to the houses (small black rectangles) at least, not that anyone ever goes up there.

quote:

I also dislike the one three level map with a blown train/bridge and a cap point on small, bridge connected hill. Would look stupid on tabletop, too.

Ash River. The area surrounding the hill and the area to the north where the blown bridge is are also muddy hellholes and line of sight is ridiculous across both. The only good bit is the far south on the mountainside.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
I'm trying to convince a friend to save his money on Star Wars: Armada and try a historical naval game. But I don't know any. Can anyone recommend a WWII one? I know nothing about the scale, and 1:1200 the models come in seem large for a tabletop game. I'm looking for something quicker and less grognardy, so more Bolt-Action less Flames of War.

space pope
Apr 5, 2003

Springfield Fatts posted:

I'm trying to convince a friend to save his money on Star Wars: Armada and try a historical naval game. But I don't know any. Can anyone recommend a WWII one? I know nothing about the scale, and 1:1200 the models come in seem large for a tabletop game. I'm looking for something quicker and less grognardy, so more Bolt-Action less Flames of War.

I play Axis and Allies: War at Sea. It pretty straight forward to play and I think the ships are 1/1800 scale. However, Wizards of the Coast no longer supports it. There are some fan made supplements and you can read the forums here:
http://aaminis.myfastforum.org/index.php

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
For ACW games, do I want to use Black Powder?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

space pope posted:

I play Axis and Allies: War at Sea. It pretty straight forward to play and I think the ships are 1/1800 scale. However, Wizards of the Coast no longer supports it. There are some fan made supplements and you can read the forums here:
http://aaminis.myfastforum.org/index.php

Yeah, I'd think this is a good choice if you want a easy to learn and play WW2 ship combat game. But just looking at e-bay, I'm not sure how expensive it would be to pick up now that it's out of print.

e: seems people sell individual ships for pretty high prices, but bigger lots look nicely priced. And if you're just playing with a friend I doubt you care to have the "best" ships to begin with.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jan 29, 2016

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

DJ Dizzy posted:

For ACW games, do I want to use Black Powder?

That's what I use for my 6mm and it's very solid. I'm a tinkerer though and have enjoyed using the chapter in the back of the book for statting out units to make the baseline troops a little less Napoleonic- I decreased the melee ability of both infantry and cavalry and made it so infantry can't Form Square but instead get a shooting value of 2 in mixed formation.

The rules themselves work well with how the arc of ACW battles seemed to go historically- there's a lot of command friction and the winners of the battles I've had tend to stick to a simple plan with a lot of contingencies rather than trying to do too much all at once. I've heard good things about Longstreet and might try it at some point, I'm a little less sure about Field of Glory.

Edit: my group also toned down the Disordered effect because it is pretty swingy as written-- we play with it still giving a -1 to hit modifier for the next turn, but instead of making units completely unable to receive orders we have the Disorder just eat the first move of the unit, so you need to succeed by 2 to get 1 move and 3 to get 2. It's felt way better, we previously had games that were totally lopsided due to a couple turns of lucky rolling.

tallkidwithglasses fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jan 29, 2016

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

lilljonas posted:

Yeah, I'd think this is a good choice if you want a easy to learn and play WW2 ship combat game. But just looking at e-bay, I'm not sure how expensive it would be to pick up now that it's out of print.

e: seems people sell individual ships for pretty high prices, but bigger lots look nicely priced. And if you're just playing with a friend I doubt you care to have the "best" ships to begin with.

These do seem pricey for 1:2400 scale ships, but still cheaper than Armada stuff. Are you mostly paying for the cards that come with the model? I'm sure you could find cheaper manufacturers of similarly sized models.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

These do seem pricey for 1:2400 scale ships, but still cheaper than Armada stuff. Are you mostly paying for the cards that come with the model? I'm sure you could find cheaper manufacturers of similarly sized models.
Basically the card, but also you're paying for "the meta" since it was a collectable miniatures game. The rarity scheme and the inter-set synergies cause prices to fluctuate as new stuff comes out making old stuff work better so a lot of the people selling stuff now are asking high prices for things "because that's what it's worth" even though the tournament scene which justified those prices is dead.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

The game was sold in random "boosters" with common, uncommon and rare ships, like Magic cards, so I guess the variation on prices comes from some ships being rare. I saw some large lots for like 10 pounds, so if you're not chasing a rare ship you can probably get a cheap navy together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

space pope
Apr 5, 2003

lilljonas posted:

The game was sold in random "boosters" with common, uncommon and rare ships, like Magic cards, so I guess the variation on prices comes from some ships being rare. I saw some large lots for like 10 pounds, so if you're not chasing a rare ship you can probably get a cheap navy together.

Yes, usually the battleships and aircraft carriers are "rare" and thus pretty pricey. You can get a PDF of all the cards here: https://app.box.com/s/m5dz0wwmvrto1ms7atar if you want to get models from another source but still play WAS.

You could pick up large lots of destroyers, cruisers, and submarines for pretty cheap if you want to get a feel for the rules. Some of of the fighters, bombers, and patrol planes can be expensive too.

3d printing has also added to the game and you can get some new models at sites like: http://www.shapeways.com/ Again, larger models like carriers or battleships are still costly but you can get a sprue with several DD on it for a few bucks. It's also useful for players who like to paint their own pieces and make sister ships which are not part of the game yet.