Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
The forums are a different world to the actual game.

It's like how you can play MOBA's and bar a few lovely team mates it's reasonably chill and then you enter the forums and see the very worst humanity has to offer. AC are an elite fit in a game so casual it doesn't really have a competitive scene. Annoying them is a lot of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Fans posted:

a game so casual it doesn't really have a competitive scene.

Well, SOE/DBG brought it on themselves when they tried so loving hard to push MLG into the game for the first year, leading them to neglecting everything else in the game and alienating the rest of the playerbase who slowly stopped playing.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Leal posted:

Well, SOE/DBG brought it on themselves when they tried so loving hard to push MLG into the game for the first year, leading them to neglecting everything else in the game and alienating the rest of the playerbase who slowly stopped playing.

Well that and creating a game with at least 100+ players a side to really be played properly. Competitive scenes focus on small teams fighting each other with easy to identifiers for the different players, not massive clusterfucks of people who all basically look the same.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Leal posted:

MLG was dumb, but it was just marketing by any other name.

At some point in 3 years with 0 competitive scene or even support anyone that interested in competitive play should have moved on to one of the couple dozen titles trying to be E-Sports.

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

My turtle beach headphones have MLG decals on each cup. All I hear when I put them on is the MLG air horn: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQJcObz1k_E

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Xae posted:

MLG was dumb, but it was just marketing by any other name.

At some point in 3 years with 0 competitive scene or even support anyone that interested in competitive play should have moved on to one of the couple dozen titles trying to be E-Sports.

Yes but better to be the big fish in a small pond than the small fish in a big one.

Why else would they screech so loudly that everyone should be playing like it's counter strike and not some massive cluster gently caress of force multipliers.

What I'm saying is they probably tried, got dumpstered, and came back with some weird inferiority complex.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

Fans posted:

AC are an elite fit in a game so casual it doesn't really have a competitive scene. Annoying them is a lot of fun.

And the irony is that they refuse to play the current "competitive" game mode because it includes MAXes and vehicles, so they talk about how they're the best while not even playing.

Anyway, on Friday night / Saturday morning, ECUS was Lib swarming instead of Harasser swarming, and I recorded some of the fights. One Reaver vs four Libs is fun.
https://youtu.be/I6W_ScaVVVM

Horizontal Tree fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jan 18, 2016

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Horizontal Tree posted:

And the irony is that they refuse to play the current "competitive" game mode because it includes MAXes and vehicles, so they talk about how they're the best while not even playing.

I'm the best at the real game of Planetside which I've decided is Harasser Roadkills and anyone who disagrees is jealous of my skills.

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose

honda whisperer posted:

What I'm saying is they probably tried, got dumpstered, and came back with some weird inferiority complex.

This happened IIRC but I can't remember what game it was. Maybe one of our resident reddit drama historians knows

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

honda whisperer posted:

Yes but better to be the big fish in a small pond than the small fish in a big one.

Why else would they screech so loudly that everyone should be playing like it's counter strike and not some massive cluster gently caress of force multipliers.

Which is the entire reason they are so toxic. They are incapable of playing any game at a competitive level. They tried with Dirty Bomb and failed pretty hard. They are participating in a shared delusion and get really mad when people challenge it.

Horizontal Tree posted:

Anyway, on Friday night / Saturday morning, ECUS was Lib swarming instead of Harasser swarming, and I recorded some of the fights. One Reaver vs four Libs is fun.
https://youtu.be/I6W_ScaVVVM
http://www.sirlin.net/ptw-book/introducingthe-scrub

This article is the PS2 competitive community in a nutshell.

tranime scholar posted:

This happened IIRC but I can't remember what game it was. Maybe one of our resident reddit drama historians knows
Dirty Bomb. I think it was a joint DA, AC and ZAPS(?) super group. They lost (badly) in the first round of an amateur tournament then collectively ragequit the game.

Fans posted:

I'm the best at the real game of Planetside which I've decided is Harasser Roadkills and anyone who disagrees is jealous of my skills.
XaeSide(tm) is the real measure of skill.

C4 kills are 10 points, Shotgun kills at 5 point. Any Kills with LMGs are -1 Points. Kills as HA are also -1 point. Medkit usage is -10 points.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

I've got a weird inferiority complex.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Xae posted:

drat that is it spot on.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
I miss Tribes Ascend, where half the "competitive" community didn't give a poo poo about winning and just wanted to play organized matches.

Its hard to care when the game only has 8-12 teams and the devs had stopped working on it entirely.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Xae posted:

I didn't know DarkSydePhil played PS2!

KomradeVirtunov
Sep 14, 2007

Xae posted:

Dirty Bomb. I think it was a joint DA, AC and ZAPS(?) super group. They lost (badly) in the first round of an amateur tournament then collectively ragequit the game.

I've seen Latro and DrJoske playing Dirty Bomb quite frequently and are pretty drat good at it, but I think that's about the extent of what's left.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Hey man I made a few hundred (USD) playing ps2 at SOE Live because I was so kindly invited to round out one of the DA teams. It paid for my current graphics card.

Too bad DBG Live won't be a thing, those events were super fun.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

Westy543 posted:

Hey man I made a few hundred (USD) playing ps2 at SOE Live because I was so kindly invited to round out one of the DA teams. It paid for my current graphics card.

Too bad DBG Live won't be a thing, those events were super fun.

Congrats because it literally puts you right to the top of the list of people who've made the most money playing PS2.

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

The best thing to do when playing this game is turn off all proxy sound and move your chat off the /yell panel so you can't see it and never read anything that anyone has ever written about it ever and never, ever interact with anyone outside your outfit

Then, it's pretty fun

Unclean009
Mar 27, 2010

Alternatively turn all proxy on full, sit in command chat as a squad or platoon leader, have drum and bass playing, and also deal with 30 idiots in mumble who won't shut up. :shepicide:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Horizontal Tree posted:

Congrats because it literally puts you right to the top of the list of people who've made the most money playing PS2.

...Including the people who made the game :v:

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I think Steveo has made the most money purely on me buying all his poo poo from the Player Studio.

jneer
Aug 31, 2006

Mush Mushi!
I won a 5 day trip to Las Vegas(from Ireland) for winning the Ultimate Empire Showdown in 2013.

Makes me feel better about all the money I spent on camos.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
John Smedley's doing an AMA on Reddit about his new game.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Herossong/comments/41wf1g/john_smedley_ceo_of_pixelmage_games_amaa/

Be sure to ask him plenty of questions about hiring known white supremacist Malorn.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Segmentation Fault posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Herossong/comments/41wf1g/john_smedley_ceo_of_pixelmage_games_amaa/

Be sure to ask him plenty of questions about hiring known white supremacist Malorn.

quote:

[–]j_smedCEO of PixelMage Games[S] 3 points 34 minutes ago

I will.. I love the forums but always been a lurker.

Hey Smed, did you know you hired a known white supremacist and 9/11 truther Malron? Also on a scale of 1 to yes how much do you look up to Peter Molyneux? Also did Malron engrave the swastika on his desk?

Nookovian-Red
Sep 13, 2002
I WILL NOT CLOSE THREAD IN Serious Hardware / Software Crap
https://twitter.com/XanderClauss/status/689956002020589572

Scared Mesa Revamp First Look

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Segmentation Fault posted:

Never trust anything Smed says. He is a child with a huge imagination and will tell you anything you want if it sounds cool but isn't feasable at all. RIP PS2 dreams.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

BadLlama posted:

Never trust anything Smed says. He is a child with a huge imagination and will tell you anything you want if it sounds cool but isn't feasable at all. RIP PS2 dreams.

What's the projected timeline before he tries the internet tough guy act on another hacker group?

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Well first they have to call in a bomb threat on his plane and ruin his credit.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

This probably belongs in the ancient history thread but last night I found out that you can drop down AT mines and destroy the sundy on the shelf below here:

If it's a dumb ammo/repair sundy you can even pop it if it's -just- out of sight and you have enough mines.

Engineer Tip #543 :mil101:

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

So has anyone hit BR 120 yet

Mustarde
Oct 26, 2014

Connoisseur of fine IPA`s and Chili with beans!
Lover of mayonnaise and anime!
I made a lovely shotgun montage set to some dad rock enjoy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_hch9oKHBA

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

Clamps McGraw posted:

So has anyone hit BR 120 yet

Only one person on Briggs, so far.

Ender31
Sep 4, 2013

Xae posted:

yeHHH talked about Dirty Bomb quite a bit, i'm not sure there were many more DA guys that did the whole competition thing. We got into ARK way more than Dirty Bomb :P

Am I off base thinking that when DA was in it's prime it wasn't as bad as things are now, or am I seeing the past in rose colored glasses? I know mpal was generally bad, and there were a couple other that came close, but we didn't spam twitter every hour about how lovely the game is and how everyone else is a retard etc etc. Seems odd to me that a person would continue playing a game they largely seem to hate, maybe i'm the weird one though :)

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Mustarde posted:

I made a lovely shotgun montage set to some dad rock enjoy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_hch9oKHBA

Those corners D:

Those streaks D:

I'm gonna have to dust of the baron again.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

honda whisperer posted:

Those corners D:

Those streaks D:

I'm gonna have to dust of the baron again.

Baron is probably the best shotgun right now.

Though the pre-nerf Slug nova will always have a place in my heart.

KomradeVirtunov
Sep 14, 2007

Ender31 posted:

yeHHH talked about Dirty Bomb quite a bit, i'm not sure there were many more DA guys that did the whole competition thing. We got into ARK way more than Dirty Bomb :P

Am I off base thinking that when DA was in it's prime it wasn't as bad as things are now, or am I seeing the past in rose colored glasses? I know mpal was generally bad, and there were a couple other that came close, but we didn't spam twitter every hour about how lovely the game is and how everyone else is a retard etc etc. Seems odd to me that a person would continue playing a game they largely seem to hate, maybe i'm the weird one though :)

I don't think an incredible amount has changed, but most of the "elite" tier of players long ago gave up live server teamwork are now playing this game as a solo shooter with coincidental assisting. I feel it has a part in the desire for infantry bushido and fueled the rage - the average player skill increased over the years, but their numbers dwindled too far deal with anything beyond a 12-24 fight and the clusterfucks it brings.

The most obvious example of the above behavior...I'm not exactly sure what happened to the public face of AC over the past year or two, a shift in culture in Planetside 2 from being known for being stellar at the game to impotent rage at anyone and everything because lol shock value or something. I feel like someone in that group has to have the self-awareness to question recruiting the LexingtonSteels and Harvesters of the game as a long-term strategy for keeping your group together.

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

Horizontal Tree posted:

Only one person on Briggs, so far.

Looks like he spent a loooooot of money statpadding on bounty boosts

A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

See them other chickenheads? They don't never leave the coop.

KomradeVirtunov posted:

I don't think an incredible amount has changed, but most of the "elite" tier of players long ago gave up live server teamwork are now playing this game as a solo shooter with coincidental assisting. I feel it has a part in the desire for infantry bushido and fueled the rage - the average player skill increased over the years, but their numbers dwindled too far deal with anything beyond a 12-24 fight and the clusterfucks it brings.

The most obvious example of the above behavior...I'm not exactly sure what happened to the public face of AC over the past year or two, a shift in culture in Planetside 2 from being known for being stellar at the game to impotent rage at anyone and everything because lol shock value or something. I feel like someone in that group has to have the self-awareness to question recruiting the LexingtonSteels and Harvesters of the game as a long-term strategy for keeping your group together.

Harvester isn't that bad, he's only a terrible piece of racist filth on reddit and twitch you see.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Nobody calls them out for saying WillTerry was good though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

https://www.planetside2.com/players/#!/5428340621671785329

This guy is livestreaming and attempted suicide by FBI at the Oregon standoff atm, in case you wanted some eerie vibes

• Locked thread