Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about believing in magical rainbow gold

Berke Negri posted:

tgat dude was the first time id ever seen a catholic speak in tongues and that's not right

The priest at my SO's church gets up and denies evolution every time I go there. I imagine it's a similar feeling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i have been to a church service less than 10 times in my life and three of those was when i was trying to get laid

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
My aunt told me a literal demon caused homosexuality.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Sinnlos posted:

The priest at my SO's church gets up and denies evolution every time I go there. I imagine it's a similar feeling.

sever
with that church

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
it's not real Christianity if there isn't a command structure to discipline these crazy people imo

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Really though the like 3 Pentecostal services in my life freaked me out due to the tounges thing. Mormon services were also disquieting but mostly because they pushed REAL hard to convert me.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

anglicans really loving hate their evangelical wing

it's great

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

nutranurse posted:

when i went to catholic school as a mormon they were p down with me doing p much everything except the eucharist

goddamn liberal maryland catholics

cant let just anyone eat jesus you know

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

our rivals were the all boys catholic school

the chants against them can be imagined

i was having a talk with my gay best friend about this who also went to the same school and he was like "yeah its really weird in that instance I never really thought anything about it just because it was directed at them" and we had a not really out gay student body because this is like 2003 but the students who were were kind of known and no one gave them poo poo over it

that was like a decade ago I hope it's over now. last I ask they have a pretty big gay/straight alliance thing going on and its changed a lot for the better

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I've been in church twice, both times for my little bros daycare plays when he was really young, and I never read a single page of the bible until last year.

Religious stuff is just such an alien concept to me.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah, Pentecostals are absolutely insane. I grew up going to one.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Popular Thug Drink posted:

i have been to a church service less than 10 times in my life and three of those was when i was trying to get laid

Owns.

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Lotka Volterra posted:

sever
with that church

I don't go there if I can help it. I attend a fairly moderate Catholic Church that puts a lot more emphasis on personal matters. Her's is like 2 steps away from Opus Dei.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

please do not voice your support for times in my life i took deceptive action to convince a hesitant woman to fornicate with me

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Disinterested posted:

it's great

my hope is that the church keeps just gradually phasing out the charism and tridentine factions because all those people just end up leaving the church anyways instead of the US bishops gambit to make the church lovely to keep people in

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
we went to church regularly at a united methodist church which was fairly liberal and laid back. my grandfather made the pews and had bankrolled a huge portion of the church's refurbishment so i guess we were kind of "corner stones"

but i sort of lapsed around the whole time i started sorting out my sexuality, since even in a fairly liberal church, gays weren't you know, acceptable things in the late 90's early 00's

in college i went to church either at the methodist church in town where the pastor was a boyhood friend of my father -- who ended up doing his eulogy; or more often sunday evening mass with my roommate and his friends who were all catholic

my mother has stopped going to church because she thinks they're all "hypocrites who care too much about what someone does in their bedroom and not anything else."

so like i haven't been to church in like 4 years

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Disinterested posted:

it's great

it's true, we* episcopalians are pretty cool

*haven't been to church in 15 years

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Sinnlos posted:

Really though the like 3 Pentecostal services in my life freaked me out due to the tounges thing. Mormon services were also disquieting but mostly because they pushed REAL hard to convert me.

all mormon churches smell the same, thats another weird mormon tidbit. i can walk into any mormon church anywhere in the world and itll have the same smell that makes me feel like a little kid again, i wonder if they do it on purpose since smell+memory are so tied and whatnot

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Lotka Volterra posted:

it's true, we* episcopalians are pretty cool

*haven't been to church in 15 years

Catholic Lite

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Berke Negri posted:

my hope is that the church keeps just gradually phasing out the charism and tridentine factions because all those people just end up leaving the church anyways instead of the US bishops gambit to make the church lovely to keep people in

unlikely since churches seem universally most likely to shed their younger and more liberal members

you'll wind up with it as a preserve of old people and then they'll die

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
i am not even a good prior

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Sinnlos posted:

Catholic Lite

i'm okay with this, as regular Catholics are Crazy About Dead Babies

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Disinterested posted:

unlikely since churches seem universally most likely to shed their younger and more liberal members

you'll wind up with it as a preserve of old people and then they'll die

there's a whole bunch of millennials who are evangelical or who went away from the catholicism and are coming back to it now

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

nondenom youth churches are also real popular

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
UUs are legit.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

i remember going to a mormon stake at like age eleven or twelve for a boy scout thing and that was my first exposure and being REAL confused at seeing all the stained glass windows of the trials of tribulations of joeseph smith and being like "erm this is not the stations of the cross guys"

catholics really nailed down how to ingrain basic orthodoxy just from visual cues I'll give them that

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

there's a whole bunch of millennials who are evangelical or who went away from the catholicism and are coming back to it now

yeah you guys are on a different or slower demographic curve on this one to europeans

but I expect something similar in due course

young americans are unsurprisingly less religious than their forebears

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Lotka Volterra posted:

i'm okay with this, as regular Catholics are Crazy About Dead Babies

The Pope granting limited retroactive forgiveness for abortions I think was a feeler for shift Church stance in this, but the US Council of Bishops is indeed insane about fetuses. Male masturbation is probably the bigger sin really.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Disinterested posted:

yeah you guys are on a different or slower demographic curve on this one to europeans

Twitter is our religion.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Disinterested posted:

it's dropping hard like a rock though, like not even the 60s saw similar trends because counter culture/hippies obfuscated a lot of growing conservatism in youth in the 60s

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Berke Negri posted:

it's dropping hard like a rock though, like not even the 60s saw similar trends because counter culture/hippies obfuscated a lot of growing conservatism in youth in the 60s

though it should be noted, it's pretty regional

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

nutranurse posted:

nondenom youth churches are also real popular

those places are creepy as gently caress

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

personally i like the one demo of voters who claim to be "born again" and also don't go to church and can't tell you jackshit about whats in the fuckign bible

they're all voting for trump btw

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Berke Negri posted:

the counter-counterculture of the 60s was just so, so loving lame, without the good graces to be creepy as hell like it is today

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

imo yes, the people ive met from them are basically angry old insular religious people in the making

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Badger of Basra posted:

yeah one of them used to meet regularly at my favorite coffee house on campus, and it was super wierd seeing all these dudes pretend to be super jesus choir boys, when i'd seen them the weekend before making out with each other

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

nutranurse posted:

when i went to catholic school as a mormon they were p down with me doing p much everything except the eucharist

goddamn liberal maryland catholics

Academy of the Holy Cross?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
hey chet, tadd, you guys goin to the Up with People show at the auditorium? yeah we're gonna drink punch and have a sing along!

BaurusJA
Nov 13, 2015

It's cruel...it's playful... I like it
Liberal and progressive catholics are rushing back to the church because of Pope Frankie.

I am one of them. I grew up in a family with heavy jesuit ties and big emphasis on racial, gender, and immigrant politics.
I regularly find support at mass for liberal catholicism....

Its not all bad dude and dudettes.

Heck, I'm an agnostic catholic, but I still believe. Is that weird?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

I knew an evangelical hipster in grad school and we got really well along in the class we had, talked politics, beer, music, clothes, etc a lot, then the end of the semester became Facebook friends and his wall was like nothing but bible verses

real weird

• Locked thread