Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Johnny Walker posted:

Apartment 3-G

I bet Web hit on that waitress while Margo was in the bathroom too.
That waitress in the first panel has a giraffe neck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

catlord posted:

Doesn't Crankshaft take place in the '70's? I was under the impression it didn't make as many timeskips as Funky Winkerbean and was still several decades behind, and on occasion would jump ahead to now where Crankshaft is a dying old man.

If it's 10 years ago, they'd just be moving towards finishing building the thing. First light was 2008.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Gil

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

Heaven's Love Thrift Shop

9 Chickweed Lane

Oh, so it's this storyline again.

Pibgorn Wahoo Terminal

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Aardmania posted:

Pibgorn Wahoo Terminal

I'm going to regret asking this, but is there anything useful (or at least entertainingly overbaked) going on in the commentary "next door"?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

EasyEW posted:

Rip Haywire

The optimal solution here is clearly bigamy.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set crosses over with Retail.

Seriously, just give the loving cold goods to the cashier so someone can put them back! :argh:

Working Daze finally dips into KIDS TODAY territory.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix hopes we die. It hopes we both die.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen

EasyEW posted:

I'm going to regret asking this, but is there anything useful (or at least entertainingly overbaked) going on in the commentary "next door"?

Judge for yourself about the quality of this completely not fabricated anecdote.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Ms Boods posted:

Don't worry -- if these strips were published when I think they were (1930s, I'm guessing), by 6pm, Nancy would have seen the movie at least once, plus shorts, a news reel, cartoons, etc. all for a nickel.

Thanks for the explanation, that's really interesting!

Fingerpori

Moomin

Classic Dilbert

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Had they met their ancestors at this point, or was that later?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

catlord posted:

Doesn't Crankshaft take place in the '70's? I was under the impression it didn't make as many timeskips as Funky Winkerbean and was still several decades behind, and on occasion would jump ahead to now where Crankshaft is a dying old man.

The timeline is weird, because Funky Winkerbean's time-jumps don't actually change the year. The characters all age up and their lives have progressed, but the strip is still set in the present just like it always was. Crankshaft is also set in the present, but from the perspective of Funky Winkerbean it's the past. There are even crossovers where the characters in Funky remember the events currently happening in Crankshaft as being a long time past, even though they're happening now. So for example, in 2016 Les and Funky might reminisce about something that happened 20 years ago, in 2016. And even though the current Crankshaft story is set in 2016, if we see Crankshaft himself appear in Funky Winkerbean, he'll be 20 years older. It makes no sense.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Tiggum posted:

The timeline is weird, because Funky Winkerbean's time-jumps don't actually change the year. The characters all age up and their lives have progressed, but the strip is still set in the present just like it always was. Crankshaft is also set in the present, but from the perspective of Funky Winkerbean it's the past. There are even crossovers where the characters in Funky remember the events currently happening in Crankshaft as being a long time past, even though they're happening now. So for example, in 2016 Les and Funky might reminisce about something that happened 20 years ago, in 2016. And even though the current Crankshaft story is set in 2016, if we see Crankshaft himself appear in Funky Winkerbean, he'll be 20 years older. It makes no sense.

They're all in Hell where time has no meaning and suffering is eternal.

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

Haha, yeah, bullying people is fine as long as they are dumb, and certainly never has long term impacts on their growth, development, or life. In fact, if they claim that they have suffered because of your bullying, you should bully them more.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Aardmania posted:

Judge for yourself about the quality of this completely not fabricated anecdote.

So as far as "anything useful or entertaining", the answer is "No." Gotcha.

As opposed to Skippy, which is always at least one, if not both. (November 26, 1928)

Pogo would like to announce the Vermin Space Program. (January 27, 1958)

Peanuts: Year Four (February 15-17, 1954)

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Lol Goddamn.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Same.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Evil Mastermind posted:

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix hopes we die. It hopes we both die.

This indistinguishable from regular Lockhorns though?

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

There's something terribly wrong here

Pluggers

I get irrationally angry when I see people typing like that

Inspector Danger

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Wanamingo posted:

Arlo and Janis
I swear this comic exists just to confuse me. :psyduck:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Wanamingo posted:

Inspector Danger

Oh for gently caress's sake.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Tiggum posted:

Stages of grief, though they omitted one.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Countblanc posted:

Stages of grief, though they omitted one.

Nah, they just condensed Denial and Anger into the first panel.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Tiggum posted:

Doesn't DC comics work the same way?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Imagine four tumors inside Lisa's breast. Say a direct copy of the tumor nearest the skin is sent to the back of the line of tumors and takes the place of the first tumor. The formerly first tumor becomes the second, the second becomes the third, and the fourth metastasizes. The Funkyverse works the same way.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Evil Mastermind posted:

Oh for gently caress's sake.

If it makes you feel any better, the real answer is "the two photos are manipulated because every time-stamped photo set that appears in this comic has been manipulated."

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

"Tonight I am going to gently caress your mother, Children."

The Amazing Spider-Man

Sally Forth

One thing I like about Sally Forth is that even though the characters don't age, Ces doesn't take the lazy man's way out in regards to their history. When Sally Forth first started in... what, the 90's? Anyway, it would have made sense for this 90's couple with a preteen kid to have gone to college in the 70's or thereabouts. But now a couple of decades have rolled by and it makes more sense chronologically for the Forths to have gone to college in the 90's. And Ces is cool with making that happen. It's silly how rare that is in comics. Looking at you, Curtis's rap-music-hating dad.

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Awww.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

Awww.

Newspaper Spider-Man keeping up with Secret Wars continuity I see.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

"I'm going to keep calling my significant other 'Mister' because either we have some loving bizarre power dynamic or because I don't see my college-aged son as more mature than like a ten-year-old."

Actually wait I know which one it is.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

LordPants posted:

Lol Goddamn.

Peanuts used to loving own. It's amazing how fast it slid from this to "Snoopy does *HUMAN THING*, Snoopy *MAKES POP CULTURE REFERENCE THAT IMMEDIATELY DATES THE STRIP*, Snoopy mugs for the camera".

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Re: Peanuts, Is the Baseball team a thing yet? I love the baseball strips.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Republican Vampire posted:

Doesn't DC comics work the same way?

No, DC just reboots every other year or so, so they're always running in now. You're thinking of Marvel where their continuity is consistent going back to the 60s, but that's just 10-15 years ago. (Stuff that happened in 40s Marvel comics happened in 40s Marvel history.)

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Marvel time used to be about 4 to 1, so 20 years ago our time is 5 years ago theirs, but it's never been very exact.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Der Shovel posted:

Peanuts used to loving own. It's amazing how fast it slid from this to "Snoopy does *HUMAN THING*, Snoopy *MAKES POP CULTURE REFERENCE THAT IMMEDIATELY DATES THE STRIP*, Snoopy mugs for the camera".

I never read the comic prior to the old strips posted here, but I had to watch the cartoon and the Christmas special every single year and the tone difference between those strips and that cartoon is staggering. It used to have some real bite.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

LordPants posted:

Re: Peanuts, Is the Baseball team a thing yet? I love the baseball strips.

I think it started turning up in '53, but the "Charlie Brown is a terrible pitcher and incredibly delusional about it" takes a little while longer to settle in.

Bloom County

Peanuts (January 28, 1969)

Funky Winkerbean

The lighter side of horrible parenting!

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (August 27-28, 1928)

Thimble Theater (August 14, 1929)

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Red Meat

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

EasyEW posted:

Bloom County

Actually we use Dark Energy for that.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Selachian posted:

Pros and Cons

You see that? That's a Patrick Warburton character if there ever was one!

Pooch Café

Wolfie's fine, John.

Ballard Street

If you have a problem with ferrets, you're a racist.

There, I said it.

Lost Side of Suburbia

I like how Slynderfell doesn't take any action to stop Rufus, and instead immediately starts thinking of who to blame. He's a manager, through and through.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Abbott and Costello meet Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

So, if you thought Kit the Younger was going to be an excuse to subtly revive Mandrake, well...

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

SomeMathGuy posted:

Abbott and Costello meet Mark Trail

Mark piping up with animal facts is straight out of a R Ubbish edit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Tiggum posted:

In the US, Standard Time gets you Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas... and then several months of no holidays, cruddy weather, and trying to hang on until Spring.

• Locked thread