Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Target Practice posted:

Okay how the gently caress do I know I'm killing the right guys for these combat bond CGs? I popped into a HiCZ and there were no Emperor's Dawn guys, so I just picked a side. Do I have to jump from CZ to CZ to find Emporer's Dawn fighting?

Yes, you have to kill the right guys for the thing.

To be more clear, you got a contract to kill a specific targeted group of individuals, say, Derpers' Face, right? Well if you show up to the combat zone for an unrelated war between "Dickbutts 5000" and "Purple People Eaters" and just start blowing up one side, well, it's definitely fun, sure, but you won't get paid for it, because the guy with the money doesn't care about the Purples or the Dickbutts, he wants the Derps pilots sucking vacuum, so he won't be inclined to pay you for murdering the wrong people.

Groggy nard fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Jan 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Drone posted:

So how viable is playing with a 360 controller? While I do own a HOTAS (an old Saitek X52 from like ten years ago), it takes up way too much space on my desk. And for whatever reason the idea of sitting on the couch with a 360 controller and my Bluetooth keyboard and doing some space truckin' appeals to me in some sci-fi Euro Truck Simulator 2 kinda way.

I play with a logitech dual-shock knock off and it works great. The only problem is there's no room for horizontal strafing on any of the joystick axes, but I pretty much only use that for landing anyway and use vertical in combat.

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.

Groggy nard posted:

Yes, you have to kill the right guys for the thing.

Does resetting the instance by logging change who is fighting in it? I only ask because there is a high intensity one 1.5mm from the station.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Target Practice posted:

Does resetting the instance by logging change who is fighting in it? I only ask because there is a high intensity one 1.5mm from the station.

No, you have to find the right combat zone near a planet somewhere, they don't reset which factions are fighting at one location. Combat Zones won't show up until you get close to the planet as well, something like 500 ls away?

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Target Practice posted:

Okay how the gently caress do I know I'm killing the right guys for these combat bond CGs? I popped into a HiCZ and there were no Emperor's Dawn guys, so I just picked a side. Do I have to jump from CZ to CZ to find Emporer's Dawn fighting?

If you're in Ch'i Lin, there are two factions at war. The CZ I use is at Ch'i Lin 3.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Got a message today that my client is both too old and too new.

:frontear:

(I assume it's just confused because they're in the process of doing a server patch atm)

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Angrymog posted:

(I assume it's just confused because they're in the process of doing a server patch atm)

I got in no problem :frontear:

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Angrymog posted:

That is one of the things that can happen when they push a client update.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
Traded in my vulture for an FAS and holy poo poo does that thing rip up HIREZ sites. It has a bit more mass then the vulture so it "slides" around a lot more but it seems like its turn rate is better? it definitely has more armor and it can ram things without immediately losing half its HP. Im running the 2 large beams/2 med multicannon build and i can down an anaconda in under a minute. got some good spawns and made 2 mil in 30ish mins last night

TLDR the FAS rules and is worth the dumb rep grind

Phil Burn
Oct 28, 2015

What is life all about?
What's the quickest way to rank up in the Empire? It may not be the best ship but drat I love the look of the Imp Clipper

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Humboldt Squid posted:

I play with a logitech dual-shock knock off and it works great. The only problem is there's no room for horizontal strafing on any of the joystick axes, but I pretty much only use that for landing anyway and use vertical in combat.

I have mine set up so that pressing down the left stick switches to alternate flight controls, which turns it from horizontal turning to horizontal strafing. Really useful for landing.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
After flying the iClipper and iCutter, I think I'm going to stick with my Python as a jack of all trades ship (with an Asp for Robigo/Fehu when I need money). Thought about the following config?

http://coriolis.io/outfit/python/16A6A5A4D7A6D5C1616162828040402004f05050404v42t022f.Iw18eQ==.Aw18eQ==

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Phil Burn posted:

What's the quickest way to rank up in the Empire? It may not be the best ship but drat I love the look of the Imp Clipper

I have been working on this for a while. Here's what I can tell you: there is no known donation system that works consistently. For federation, you go to Tun and donate donate donate to get your rank up. For empire, a lot of people have listed systems: Fehu/Tamar/Aymifa/Cubeo, but none of them are particularly good for generating donation missions. The best widely-known way right now is to go to Cubeo, to Roskam Enterprise or Lubbock Penal Colony, and stack missions to assault Metcalf Keep on the same planet. There are youtube videos on how to do it fast, but the gist is that you can knock out ~40 or 50 empire missions per hour plus a bunch of independents, and make good money and decent rank. That'll get you to Baron in a couple days.

That's still not great- it'd take weeks of doing that to get to the Cutter. I'm currently doing a little bit of research to find an empire donation system. I've identified a bunch of factors that may influence how donations are generated, and picked out a couple dozen systems that are likely good candidates for getting missions. I'm flying around doing tests and I'll post the results here shortly.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Cthulu Carl posted:

Figured screw it and bought a Vulture before I had enough to outfit it like I wanted. Hoooly poo poo this thing is so much better than my Courier in RESes.

Still torn between fixed and gimballed pulses, though.

Gimbaled because the hardpoint placement sucks

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.

Sarsapariller posted:

That's still not great- it'd take weeks of doing that to get to the Cutter. I'm currently doing a little bit of research to find an empire donation system. I've identified a bunch of factors that may influence how donations are generated, and picked out a couple dozen systems that are likely good candidates for getting missions. I'm flying around doing tests and I'll post the results here shortly.

Maybe post it in the PGS thread so we might get a little jump on things.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

sincx posted:

After flying the iClipper and iCutter, I think I'm going to stick with my Python as a jack of all trades ship (with an Asp for Robigo/Fehu when I need money). Thought about the following config?

http://coriolis.io/outfit/python/16A6A5A4D7A6D5C1616162828040402004f05050404v42t022f.Iw18eQ==.Aw18eQ==

I run a similar build (gimballed instead of turreted on the lasers) and it works well for me.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Target Practice posted:

Maybe post it in the PGS thread so we might get a little jump on things.

That is an excellent idea.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Okay, seen many a Coriolis starport, but this one struck me as... different!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It's some kind of industrial centrifuge or something. It will also try to murder you if you look at it funny.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
That includes looking at them in the 'what the heck are those things?' light.

RIP you.

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.
It doesn't seem likely for any halfway competent pilot, but I have been whacked by those arms while coming in for a landing.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Falken posted:

Okay, seen many a Coriolis starport, but this one struck me as... different!

In gamma I ground my way to an Asp and lost it within an hour getting schwacked by one of those arms.

I did not have the insurance money :negative:

Orv
May 4, 2011
Stupid question, but I want to finally get into this game, but my only real interest is loving off into deep space to see cool things. I KS backed at a level that I think means I've gotten all the various ship giveaways they've done since live, how would I go about liquidating those? Are they scattered across time and space?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Zaardvark posted:

It doesn't seem likely for any halfway competent pilot, but I have been whacked by those arms while coming in for a landing.

I did that too. All I could think of was "what loving moron designer put giant gently caress-off base-ball bats on a space station?".

TentPegg
Sep 22, 2012

Orv posted:

Stupid question, but I want to finally get into this game, but my only real interest is loving off into deep space to see cool things. I KS backed at a level that I think means I've gotten all the various ship giveaways they've done since live, how would I go about liquidating those? Are they scattered across time and space?

Just grab a hauler with an upgraded FSD and you should be fine for zipping around selling stuff.
If you can't be bothered making those jumps, a trip into the void may not be for you. ..

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
So uh I re-DLed E:D after not playing since maybe July? I don't have Horizons but I signed up on Inara and the OpSec EVE form etc etc, I guess I'll log in and shoot space butts with people?

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
I thought I was a bad pilot but after seeing player attempts to dock and leave dock in Ch'i Lin yesterday, I'm satisfied that I'm merely mediocre. I saw some guy bouncing around the interior at Fallows until the internal defences fried him.
Also had a heart in mouth incident yesterday, idiot Npc got between my lasers and a drop ship, giving me a bounty. I had to leave the system , claim my bounties and then boost into the mailslot at Fallows to avoid scans and claim system bounty/pay legacy fine.
I managed to avoid the cops but didn't manage to avoid hitting the pylons on the mailslot. Luckily I was able to pay fines and get my money.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Little bounties like that clear on their own usually in under 10 minutes. Once they drop off your transactions tab and turn into legacy fines it doesn't really matter whether you pay them or not, the cops don't care.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The worst is when a stupid npc gets in your line of sights just as its about to die so you get hit by a week long bounty

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Cao Ni Ma posted:

The worst is when a stupid npc gets in your line of sights just as its about to die so you get hit by a week long bounty

According to the brown sea, this is totally fair and always the players fault, for not having magic psychic abilities and/or not being able to control the NPCs with your mind

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

:hurr: practice situational awareness :hurr:

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

:hurr: practice situational awareness :hurr:

Right, because a video game has all the same sensory input that driving an actual vehicle has.

Unless you have a VR headset or IR tracking setup you can't even look around the cockpit without sacrificing controlling the actual ship.

Not to mention ships like the Viper Mk3 and Mk4 that you can't even look up due to terrible cockpit design.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Update on the donation system hunt- I visited 7 or 8 candidate systems yesterday, hitting all the stations in each one. Most systems were low pop/agricultural/corporate, just like Tun, and most had a couple empire factions in a state of civil war, also just like Tun. Interestingly this did seem to generate donation missions, but not many- usually the board was overwhelmed with all the "Go kill the other guy" missions.

So I'm still missing something- there's still some secret sauce that makes Tun generate nothing but donation missions. I can't think of any practical reason why the simulation would do that.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Sarsapariller posted:

Update on the donation system hunt- I visited 7 or 8 candidate systems yesterday, hitting all the stations in each one. Most systems were low pop/agricultural/corporate, just like Tun, and most had a couple empire factions in a state of civil war, also just like Tun. Interestingly this did seem to generate donation missions, but not many- usually the board was overwhelmed with all the "Go kill the other guy" missions.

So I'm still missing something- there's still some secret sauce that makes Tun generate nothing but donation missions. I can't think of any practical reason why the simulation would do that.

I think they somehow pop into a state of famine which puts them into a plague which puts them in civil war which puts them back in famine and it continues to cycle out of control. This makes them want donations more than anything else. Sadly for them, donations (especially money) don't seem to be enough to break the cycle.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!

Floppychop posted:

Right, because a video game has all the same sensory input that driving an actual vehicle has.

Unless you have a VR headset or IR tracking setup you can't even look around the cockpit without sacrificing controlling the actual ship.

Not to mention ships like the Viper Mk3 and Mk4 that you can't even look up due to terrible cockpit design.

I'm in a Viper Mk3 and the ship I shot came from beneath me and up.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Sad King Billy posted:

I'm in a Viper Mk3 and the ship I shot came from beneath me and up.

Exactly. Even if you had IR tracking or VR it would still be a complete blind spot.

I just wish there was a certain damage % you had to do to get a bounty. Even if it's something small like 2%, just so that accidentally grazing an NPC doesn't screw you.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

The one time I actually tried to do a hostage rescue mission the ship I was targeting exploded in one hit when I tried to shoot open their cargo hatch.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Floppychop posted:

I just wish there was a certain damage % you had to do to get a bounty. Even if it's something small like 2%, just so that accidentally grazing an NPC doesn't screw you.
There is though?

A single shot from anything bar high alpha weapons like rail guns won't trigger a bounty. Just admit it, you're a bit too trigger happy. :mmmhmm:

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

tooterfish posted:

There is though?

A single shot from anything bar high alpha weapons like rail guns won't trigger a bounty. Just admit it, you're a bit too trigger happy. :mmmhmm:

It was a sidwinder I shot with my twin beams, think I took a shield ring out
I did say sorry and send flowers but he threw them out of the airlock!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

I picked up a week bounty in one of my favorite haunts when a random sidewinder darted between me and my target and caught 2 C4 PAC shots. It exploded and hit me with a bounty.

It was such a freak occurrence that I wasn't even mad.

• Locked thread