Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

enraged_camel posted:

Oh man, can you imagine? Not only are they freezing their asses off with no electricity or hot showers, with the rest of the world watching and laughing, but they're also not getting drunk.

The Mormon version of hell? I think so.

There was actually a musical about that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNEh4bm6rNQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Perfectly Safe posted:

Indeed so. The people who are already happy to swallow the nonsense will doubtless consider it a victory because they always will. It's the maybes that you have to worry about. It's a PR victory if you get more adherents than you would do under other circumstances.

One of the above articles mentioned 100k full on sovcits and another 200k dabblers. I can't imagine this being anything better than PR neutral for the dabblers because it's all so flaccid and...boring.

Sure, but you were talking like the fact that they look dumb to US means that they look dumb to everyone. If you ever listen to Pete's stream, he constantly gets callers saying "YOU GUYS ARE DOING GOOD WORK", even though the "occupation" is really really pathetic

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.

theflyingorc posted:

Sure, but you were talking like the fact that they look dumb to US means that they look dumb to everyone. If you ever listen to Pete's stream, he constantly gets callers saying "YOU GUYS ARE DOING GOOD WORK", even though the "occupation" is really really pathetic
No, I'm talking about the people who aren't already 100% behind the sovcit movement. Which is almost everybody. Obviously there are people who are 100% behind the sovcit movement (and even some of the dabblers) who will call into Pete's show. There are quite a few of them. As a proportion of the US population it's a tiny number of people, obviously.

I just don't think that the parade of drunks and lunatics (and sumo wrestlers) is doing a particularly good job of advertising this thing to people who aren't already sold.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

The fact that this guy isn't spending the next few years/decades in a federal prison is really all that needs to be said about the US government's stance on (not) prosecuting right wing militia types.

Crain posted:

Harvey Country Sheriff has put a moratorium on community meetings from here on out till the occupation is resolved.

From the article:
"Meanwhile, a reputed refuge occupier, the first to be arrested, was in a federal courtroom in Medford on Monday, facing charges of violating his pre-trial agreement after a previous government protest by once again occupying federal land.

A federal magistrate found probable cause for that violation and unauthorized use of a refuge-owned vehicle with which he was arrested Jan. 15 at the Burns Safeway. The judge ordered Kenneth Medenbach, 62, of Crescent, to be detained until his trial, scheduled for March 22."

It seems all we need for militia members to be arrested and charged is to be caught red-handed committing grand theft (and other crimes) while also violating parole.

Discendo Vox posted:

The justice system and law enforcement has really only started coordinating resources on sovcits in the past few years, in part because the movement mushroomed after Obama was elected-until that point it was dying out as many of the figures selling it dropped off the radar or were jailed.

Except federal investigation in to the sovcits and other far right groups was pulled back after the report that correctly pointed out how crazy and dangerous these people are, and the right wing cried about it.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

You've also got people like this guy, a local who's doing the whole "their methods are wrong but they're bringing attention to the issues" thing:
https://twitter.com/occupied_burns/status/691791942112415744
It was then pointed out to him that both of these people are literal domestic terrorists. As in, one has been charged with making terroristic threats, the other has unashamedly stated that the only thing Timothy McVeigh did wrong was detonating his bombs during the day instead of at night.

Evil Fluffy posted:

The fact that this guy isn't spending the next few years/decades in a federal prison is really all that needs to be said about the US government's stance on (not) prosecuting right wing militia types.

No, see, he's not threatening anybody. He's just willing to defend his rights.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Evil Fluffy posted:

Except federal investigation in to the sovcits and other far right groups was pulled back after the report that correctly pointed out how crazy and dangerous these people are, and the right wing cried about it.

SovCits aren't exclusively far right, they appeal to anybody really distrustful of authority

For one example, they've been weirdly successful in a number of urban black communities - there's been a spike of SovCit rhetoric in Baltimore City courts

As a Millennial I posted:

It was then pointed out to him that both of these people are literal domestic terrorists. As in, one has been charged with making terroristic threats, the other has unashamedly stated that the only thing Timothy McVeigh did wrong was detonating his bombs during the day instead of at night.
The weirdest thing about these guys is that they are the nicest, friendliest people until somebody mentions the government and then it's just a totally Jekyll and Hyde switch and they become terrifying

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Having lovely opinions (like the McVeigh thing) does not make someone a literal domestic terrorist.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Perfectly Safe posted:

Maybe have a go at actually reading the thread? I mean, you didn't notice that none of the people actually involved in the thread responded to such a gross misrepresentation of their views? That didn't...didn't give you cause for a moment of reflection? Thought you'd just seize the day? Take the bull by the horns? Did you...did you just say "life's too short!" to yourself? Sort of mentally punch the air? Is that what happened?

Hell, I for one admire you for your confidence and go-getting attitude.

Maybe people didn't respond to this gross misrepresentation because they didn't care enough about your misrepresentation to respond?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

prefect posted:

Having lovely opinions (like the McVeigh thing) does not make someone a literal domestic terrorist.

Bin Laden's only mistake was attacking the WTC during the day.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

chitoryu12 posted:

Maybe people didn't respond to this gross misrepresentation because they didn't care enough about your misrepresentation to respond?

Perfectly Safe is on the "government inaction at this time is the correct option" side of the debate.

He was being satirical of other posters in the thread when he said "literally nobody thinks they should be punished"

Aesop Poprock did not know he was being satirical, probably because you need a ton of context to know that.

Perfectly Safe then got really really mad about being called a moron for opinions he doesn't actually hold, even though it was probably the most piss poor satire in the whole of this thread where half the things posted are sarcastically saying "BUT WE DON'T WANT WACO" again and again

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Watch: Man seeking to join Oregon standoff, 'help with killing federal agents,' arrested

quote:

I'm a green beret colonel! My records are sealed for Ronald Raegan! I'm gonna kill all you sonsabitches!

I'm an Irishman!

I got a M14 up in the hills (inaudible)

You Obama sonsofbitches!

Son of a bitch homeland security bastard!

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jan 26, 2016

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Saw this linked on twitter, and couldn't believe that fark still existed. I'm sure the feeling is mutual.

quote:

For those of you keeping score at home (UPDATED YET AGAIN):

Ammon Bundy: Son of deadbeat rancher Cliven "Let me tell you about the Negro" Bundy. Neither a rancher nor an Oregonian. Lengthy arrest record.

Ryan Bundy:The guy with the facial paralysis. Brother of Ammon. Neither a rancher nor an Oregonian. Lengthy arrest record.

Brian "Booda" Cavalier: Claimed to be a former U.S. Marine Scout/Sniper, with service in Iraq and Afghanistan. No military service whatsoever. Another ex-con with a lengthy record. He's the doofus in the "Major League Sniper" hat. Allegedly left the site after his made-up military service offended the other guys with made-up military service. Recent photographs suggest he may have returned to the site.

Blaine Cooper: Claimed to be a U.S. Marine veteran. Signed up for the Marines under the Delayed Entry Program, never reported to USMC boot camp. Usually strutting around in Army Multi-Cam. His wife is also allegedly at the site. Has a rap sheet a mile long. That's not his original name. He legally changed it. If it sounds familiar, it's Jesse Ventura's character's name from Predator.

LaVoy Finicum: Huh, an actual rancher. His "income" (his words) is running a foster kid orphanage out of his house and collecting over $100,000 annually from a government-financed charity. This capitalist libertarian hero is most likely using his foster kids as government-funded ranch hands, and still can't turn a profit. Last seen hiding under a blue tarp.

David Fry:Neo-Nazi and ISIS supporter, he likes both over their shared hatred of Jews. On-site communications and social media officer.

Captain Moroni:Won't give his real name. Named after a figure in Mormon scripture. Based on his ridiculous choice in camouflage patterns and the fact he's wearing a hot climate boonie hat in January (he eventually put a knit cap on, then put the boonie hat back on OVER it), I doubt he's actually been in the military.

Joe "Captain O" O'Shaugnessy:Claims to be a captain in some Arizona militia. Allegedly fled the site after stealing their donation jar to go get drunk at a local motel.

Ryan Payne: Claimed to be a former Army Ranger. Actually served in U.S. Army with two deployments to Iraq. But was never a Ranger. Never attended (much less graduated) from Ranger School, and was never assigned to the 75th Ranger Regiment, even in a support role. Neither Tabbed nor Scrolled. Amended this to being part of a Secret Squirrel unit for the XVIII Airborne Corps. Always writes it as "18," despite the Army is very specific that Corps-level units use Roman numerals. I'm not sure if he's even graduated Jump School.

Maureen Peltier:Their Facebook Communications Officer who is not actually at the site. She claims to be a current member of the Washington State National Guard, but has not attended drill since 2014. This anti-government warrior is currently appealing her pending discharge to score a full disability retirement. She is also a "person of interest" in the theft of explosives from her battalion's armory.

Jon Ritzheimer: Actual U.S. Marine Corps veteran. Served in Iraq with a Motor Transportation Company as a truck driver. Claims to have seen extensive combat, yet never earned a Combat Action Ribbon. Says he was kicked out of the USMC Reserve for having "excessive tattoos." At the time of his discharge, the USMC tattoo policy did not prohibit excessive tattoos, only those that were racist or showed solidarity with extremist hate groups. He is financially supported by his government disability check and his wife's job. Star of the I AM ANGRY ABOUT THE DILDO video.

Joseph Arthur Stetson: Arrested for DUI en route to the site. Claimed to be a retired U.S. Army Special Forces colonel, whose records were personally sealed by President Reagan. None of the math adds up on his age, alleged rank and claimed military service with Reagan's term in office. At least one conviction for domestic violence, for vandalizing his ex-wife's trailer.

Neil Wampler: Became involved with the militia movement because he was outraged that he is no longer legally allowed to own firearms, over the minor issue of being convicted of murdering his own father. When asked how they felt about having a convicted murderer in their militia, the Bundy brothers and LaVoy Finicum claimed to have never heard of him, and deny he's at the site. Yes, there are photographs of him wandering around the site.

BONUS ROUND!

Washington state Rep. Graham Hunt: A passionate supporter of the militia and has personally visited them at the site. Claims to have seen extensive combat on multiple tours in Iraq and Afghanistan, and claims to have been wounded in combat. His records show he deployed once for six months to a base in Saudi Arabia hundreds of miles from the Iraq border, was never wounded, and never saw combat. He also posted this digitally altered photograph which he claims depicted him just narrowly surviving a mortar attack in 2005. It is actually two soldiers from an Ohio National Guard Military Police Company who just witnessed several Iraqi children severely wounded by a bomb blast in 2003. Their Army insignia was 'shopped out and replaced with Air Force insignia.

GameCube fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jan 26, 2016

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

The man, Joseph A. Stetson, appeared to be intoxicated and had a pellet gun in his belt holster, the Facebook post said. He resisted arrest and directed repeated, profanity-laced death threats toward the authorities who were arresting him.

:cawg:

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

This farm has been sending meat to the "patriots" since day one.

They also named a goat after their hero.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

quote:

Blaine Cooper: Claimed to be a U.S. Marine veteran. Signed up for the Marines under the Delayed Entry Program, never reported to USMC boot camp. Usually strutting around in Army Multi-Cam. His wife is also allegedly at the site. Has a rap sheet a mile long. That's not his original name. He legally changed it. If it sounds familiar, it's Jesse Ventura's character's name from Predator.

Absolutely amazing

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Saw this linked on twitter, and couldn't believe that fark still existed. I'm sure the feeling is mutual.

Why am I not surprised almost everyone there is on welfare and/or faking being a veteran? I mean, it was safe to assume, but seeing it all in one list is just jarring.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

His real name is John Rambo.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

theflyingorc posted:

Absolutely amazing

How else do you expect someone to become a sexual tyrannosaurus? :clint:

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!
So why is it still 1215 AD in their fantasy world? :psyduck:

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Abner Cadaver II posted:

So why is it still 1215 AD in their fantasy world? :psyduck:

Time reset when the Magna Carta was ratified/created/signed.

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.

chitoryu12 posted:

I guess it's not impossible. I would in any case imagine that most people would recognise an absurd statement in response to an absurd attempt from another poster to start an argument for what it is.

Although the whole thing evidently flew over theflyingorc's head, so who knows?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Taerkar posted:

Since this and all sort sorts of other related nuttery has already come up, I've been trying to find out if one of my favorite Vietnam-era fringe loon, Colonel "Bo" Gritz, has voiced any opinions on this whole matter. He was mixed up in Ruby Ridge, was a Mormon convert before switching over to a Christian Identity variant, and is generally insane and conspiratorially minded, so I've half expected to hear something about him. On the other hand, he is in his eighties these days so perhaps not, and he's a virulent anti-Semite, so that whole "blowing the horn" thing might've turned him off or convinced him it's an NWO false flag op.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Lying about military service to get elected. Truly a politician America deserves. :patriot:

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.

"Arrested for DUI en route to the site. Claimed to be a retired U.S. Army Special Forces colonel, whose records were personally sealed by President Reagan. None of the math adds up on his age, alleged rank and claimed military service with Reagan's term in office. At least one conviction for domestic violence, for vandalizing his ex-wife's trailer".
What does having your records sealed actually mean, and what's the significance of it (and it allegedly being done by Reagan)?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Taerkar posted:

So what's Bolo-tie Haram up to these days anyway?

Perfectly Safe posted:

What does having your records sealed actually mean, and what's the significance of it (and it allegedly being done by Reagan)?

What he's trying to say that his records are Need to Know, however he is retarded. "Sealing" your military records is utter bullshit. Certain parts can be "Sealed" to protect your privacy, but your entire records can't just be sealed by the president because you went on a super-secret mission to hide from DEP.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 26, 2016

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Perfectly Safe posted:

He has solidarity with Reagan because he's so special and that's why you can't find any legit records of the stuff he claims so you better take everything he says seriously!!

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Perfectly Safe posted:

One of two things:

If by Reagan then he did super cool and secret stuff in South America that pussy liberal USA isn't ready to handle yet

If by Obama/Clinton then his normal/heroic deeds in the Middle East were sealed because they hate true patriots and want to bury true heros.

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.
Oh, ok, thanks guys. That's kinda what I thought, but I couldn't imagine having your military record sealed as an indication of unimpeachable moral fibre, nor why he was yelling the same rather specific set of words while absolutely shitfaced. But of course, it's right up there with "I got expelled from Hogwarts!".

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

This poo poo just keeps getting crazier. Turns out the sovereign citizens are the ones who helped kidnap those kids back from CPS.

quote:

Bruce Doucette, a Colorado man assisting the militants, said he called the relative, identified himself as a “United States at Superior Court Judge” and threatened “to bring him up on charges to the grand jury of kidnapping” if he did not turn over the girls to their mother and DeMoreta-Folch.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'll add a few things to this list based on what I know.

Joe "Captain O" O'Shaugnessy: After about a week, O'Shaugnessy began openly suspecting that the occupation was a trap. This is arguably part of the reason he abandoned living at the refuge, along with the fights he got into and his desire to go drink away the donation money.

quote:

“Has anyone stopped to think how did they get some of the greatest men in the Patriot movement to go out in the middle of nowhere to [occupy] a small building…at the coldest time of the year at a time where everybody is broke because of the [holidays]. I don’t know about you but this is all starting to look fishy to me.” Was the electricity left on, he asked, “because the place was already pre-bugged…There is a lot more going on here than meets the eye.”

Ryan Payne: Believes that the Jews are trying or tried to control the world.

Jon Ritzheimer: An anti-Muslim extremist who runs Rogue Infidel. Was formerly a member of the Oath Keepers, but after claiming that they were "ready for offense" and threatening to "arrest" politicians (including Obama) he was kicked out for basically openly advocating domestic terrorism.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
From a scan of local news it looks like rep graham hunt is now scrubbing his online profile after being tagged for his stolen valor poo poo.

Good.

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Crain posted:

Time reset when the Magna Carta was ratified/created/signed.

The Magna Carta was signed 1215 years ago?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Intel&Sebastian posted:

From a scan of local news it looks like rep graham hunt is now scrubbing his online profile after being tagged for his stolen valor poo poo.

Good.

Yeah, I'm cool with this.

I'm not all "go american military world police" or anything but if you were only a POG then you really don't get to start talking like you're Walter Sobchak to gain sympathy.

And even if you were a grunt you still shouldn't loving talk like Walter Sobchak to get your way.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

This poo poo just keeps getting crazier. Turns out the sovereign citizens are the ones who helped kidnap those kids back from CPS.

So they DID bring the girls to the Refuge. Gosh I can't imagine why CPS would want to take their kids away. Surely, they are better off surrounded by violent armed loons in a place their parents are fairly sure will get raided by the FBI rather than at his brother's house.

gently caress these assholes.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

The Larch posted:

The Magna Carta was signed 1215 years ago?

Nah, I got their crazy wrong. It was signed in 1215. So they must just keep using that year because it's a "power word" or some poo poo.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

kartikeya posted:

So they DID bring the girls to the Refuge. Gosh I can't imagine why CPS would want to take their kids away. Surely, they are better off surrounded by violent armed loons in a place their parents are fairly sure will get raided by the FBI rather than at his brother's house.

gently caress these assholes.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

I'm enjoying a facebook friend arguing with his Mormon friend about how Ammon was driven to do this by personal inspiration from God how to reconcile it with the church's official statement :allears:

red19fire
May 26, 2010

A Winner is Jew posted:

Yeah, I'm cool with this.

I'm not all "go american military world police" or anything but if you were only a POG then you really don't get to start talking like you're Walter Sobchak to gain sympathy.

And even if you were a grunt you still shouldn't loving talk like Walter Sobchak to get your way.

That's what happens with these stolen valor cowards. Like they could pretend to just be a generator mechanic on a base somewhere in fallujah (which I was), and no one would bat an eye. But instead they have to pretend to be the highest speed, lowest drag black ops badasses because they crave the attention.

Like that guy that never even showed up to boot camp, he will probably claim that the DEP program recognized what a badass he was and spirited him away in the night to some super off-the-books black ops unit. That's why his 'official' :smug: record says he never 'officially' showed up to boot camp, but really he was so Top Secret he doesn't even exist :rolleyes:

I've met people like that in real life. Douchebags that are like fat, bloused jeans into their bootcamp-issued boots, with raging high-and-tights that claim they were kicked out of the Marines for being too tough. When really they washed out in 6 weeks for not being able to climb a loving rope. They are prime candidates for this military cosplay bullshit, they get to wear a uniform and carry a gun without any of that tedious "actually deploy to an active war zone" stuff.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

^^^ Plus a lot of people wash out or just say gently caress it and leave the DEP because they realize that the military life isn't appealing to them after all and wanting to enlist was a poor decision helped along by recruiters who have quotas to meet.

Look maybe a group of these people engaged in kidnapping and other felonies but we can't just expect law enforcement to go in and arrest them and rescue those children but OKC and emboldened militias :downswords:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I wonder what would have happened if the Elian Gonzalez people had been armed.

• Locked thread