Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Drone posted:

How the gently caress do people read these? :corsair:

Presumably by having the card in front of them instead of a tiny scan. Also, even at that resolution I find them easy to read, but hey, 20/15 vision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Entropic posted:

Baloth Null - Nulldrifter

Eldrazi Displacer - Restoration Angle

I like these.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Drone posted:

How the gently caress do people read these? :corsair:

you think that is bad, may I introduce you to Weis Schwarz :

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
These other games make me appreciate Magic's graphic design.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Wow that does not look like a heavy cruiser at all.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

These derails into other card games seem to be happening more and more as of late.

Also, where can I get back problem inducing cannons attached to my arm?

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
Who would you use for an Eldrazi commander? Looking to do it with some of the color mana-dvoid dudes, so the big boys are out.

Something Sultai?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Chill la Chill posted:

KanColle is a wonderful terrible thing.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

En Fuego posted:

Who would you use for an Eldrazi commander? Looking to do it with some of the color mana-dvoid dudes, so the big boys are out.

Something Sultai?

If you're into blinking for mana ramp, Rasputin could be good for the big guys. Not too many white eldrazi though. The Mimeoplasm does do the exile thing and is generally good regardless. If you're thinking of straight up Eldrazi tribal, you probably just want Animar.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Ramos posted:

If you're into blinking for mana ramp, Rasputin could be good for the big guys. Not too many white eldrazi though. The Mimeoplasm does do the exile thing and is generally good regardless. If you're thinking of straight up Eldrazi tribal, you probably just want Animar.

Animar would probably be best. It depends on if I want the black color identity for the guys, or if it's a moot point. I was looking at Mimeoplasm and Tasigur too, just to fit Sultai colors.

En Fuego fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jan 26, 2016

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

En Fuego posted:

Animal would probably be best. It depends on if I want the black color identity for the guys, or if it's a moot point. I was looking at Mimeoplasm and Tasigur too, just to fit Sultai colors.

Well, in black, the useful cards for EDH seem to be Dread Defiler, which works well with Tasigur. Sifter of Skulls, Smothering Abomination, Wasteland Strangler, and maybe Swarm Surge. The rest might be useful, but they're still rather small. Going black also means you should probably check out a token sacrifice strategy.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

Kantai Collection is an anime / phonegame about anthropomorphic battleship girls. :japan:

Weiss Schwarz is a card game that includes a whole bunch of licensed anime, including that one.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Entropic posted:

Inverter of Truth - Risky Bismuth

:allears:

Only Slightly Bent
Jul 6, 2013

En Fuego posted:

Something Sultai?

I just finished making an "edritch horror" themed EDH deck, and I went with Mimeoplasm for black tutors, boardwipes, and cards like Spreading Plague, Villainous Wealth, Consuming Aberration, and Wrexial, the Risen Deep.

Other than Mimeoplasm and those two, every other creature is a colorless eldrazi or a devoid eldrazi. World Breaker, Ulamog's Nullifier, and Sire of Stagnation for thematic removal, counterspells, and card draw. Erratic Portal and Crystal Shard to bounce some of them and get their cast triggers again.

I just haven't had time to actually try the deck out yet.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Entropic posted:

Official OGW card nickname list:

This one for sure. It's fantastic. And it even returns the card at a different angle.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Olothreutes posted:

This one for sure. It's fantastic. And it even returns the card at a different angle.

Wow, I didn't even catch that. That's awesome.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
It's way less clever but I've been unable to stop calling Thought-Knot Seer "Thought Nazi" since I heard that used the other day

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

stinkles1112 posted:

It's way less clever but I've been unable to stop calling Thought-Knot Seer "Thought Nazi" since I heard that used the other day

I've literally said "Bet you thought you were getting that big turn 4 siege rhino this game. No? Thought-Knot." before playing him about 10 times in recent memory.

Audible groaning is my fetish.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Count Bleck posted:

I've literally said "Bet you thought you were getting that big turn 4 siege rhino this game. No? Thought-Knot." before playing him about 10 times in recent memory.

Audible groaning is my fetish.

This has to be at least a match loss, right?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

suicidesteve posted:

Sadly, the IPG is woefully out of date and does not contain an "Unsporting Pun-duct" section.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Sadly, the IPG is woefully out of date and does not contain an "Unsporting Pun-duct" section.

Well this is even more of an incentive for me to become a judge.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

suicidesteve posted:

Are you kidding? If I were judging, I'd applaud.

Trilas
Sep 16, 2004

Olothreutes posted:

Restoration Angle even has a personal connection for me, because a really, really poorly subtitled copy of Evangelion my friend had in middle school spelled all instances of "Angel" as "Angle."

"Proffetsker Fyutski, the Angles are attacking! The usual weapon are useless!"

Trilas fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jan 26, 2016

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I agree if Magic players are going to play at a glacial pace they might as well make it look fun like the Yugioh anime.

Call out all your moves with aplomb and a lot of hand gestures.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Trilas posted:

Restoration Angle even has a personal connection for me, because a really, really poorly subtitled copy of Evangelion my friend had in middle school spelled all instances of "Angel" and "Angle."

Thank you Sergeant Angle

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Trilas posted:

Restoration Angle even has a personal connection for me, because a really, really poorly subtitled copy of Evangelion my friend had in middle school spelled all instances of "Angel" as "Angle."

get some warping wails that look like this imo

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Clearly I am damned to lovely misprints.

I should stop asking for Origins as prize packs.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Jace really ought to clean that stain on his apartment.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

En Fuego posted:

Something Sultai?

Halfdane

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
What does Sperling suggest for WUBG? All his four-color names are red.

Anyway Sperling is a baby if he gets mad about small talk.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Wet Junk, obviously.

EDIT: (Whoops typo) :blush:

Zoness fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jan 26, 2016

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Witch-Maw

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I'm a fan of Glint-Eye/Wet Jund/Hot Sultai myself.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Zoness posted:

Wet Junk, obviously.

I'm all for it.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Jeff Hoogland posted:

6-3 cuts don't make sense for events as large as GPs. You will have events where people are competeing on day 2 who can't even top 8 the event with a 6-0 day two record.

Letting more people into day 2 even though it makes no sense is just there to distract you from the real issue with GPs today - they cost too much money to enter and generally don't have any reasonable events to play on Sunday.

I guess I just don't understand the mindset of some people. If I was playing casually I'd much rather spend $75 to play a dozen events at my LGS that I thought I could win than spending $75 to play in an event I don't even think I can top 8.

Magic is great - but if I was at a point in my life where I just wanted to get the most out of my Magic money - spending a large amount to play in a GP main event seems like an awful way to do that.

Eat my rear end Hoogland. Sorry we are getting in your way on day two making you all mad about having to play us pliebs with no pro status.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jan 27, 2016

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

There's an awful lot wrong with that but the biggest one is the hypocrisy of Hoogland saying he wouldn't spend $75 on an event he can't top 8. There is video evidence that he does this regularly

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Eat my rear end Hoogland. Sorry we are getting in your way on day two making you all mad about having to play us pliers with no pro status.

He has a point. GP's ARE too loving expensive and 6-3 day twos make the rounds slow on day 2.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
If you control a Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet and cast a Flaying Tendrils, can you choose which replacement effect applies so that you get a zombie from your opponent's 2/2 dying?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Eat my rear end Hoogland. Sorry we are getting in your way on day two making you all mad about having to play us pliers with no pro status.

Nah $75 GPs are ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I'd hope pliers don't have pro status tbh.

• Locked thread