Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

prefect posted:

I wonder what would have happened if the Elian Gonzalez people had been armed.

Dead Cubans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

A guy in boot camp claimed that he was a super secret agent on direct orders from the president. Among his lofty claims was landing a Concord jet on an aircraft carrier, instrument only, at night. An immense lie, which was so outstanding, I only stared slack jawed at him. I don't remember what his explanation was for being back at army boot camp though.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Somewhere in that drunk guy's rantings I'm pretty sure I head him yell "I can't be killed anyway!"

Like, I already assumed a lot of these guys were mentally ill. Like, that dude may really believe his records were sealed by Reagan. I'm sure half of them are lying cowards but some of them are probably loopy as gently caress.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

STAC Goat posted:

Somewhere in that drunk guy's rantings I'm pretty sure I head him yell "I can't be killed anyway!"

Like, I already assumed a lot of these guys were mentally ill. Like, that dude may really believe his records were sealed by Reagan. I'm sure half of them are lying cowards but some of them are probably loopy as gently caress.

Note to self: Zombie Reagan and his sealed green berets of the undead.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

MariusLecter posted:

Note to self: Zombie Reagan and his sealed green berets of the undead.

18 year old green berets of the undead since thats how old that guy was in 1980 when he says Reagan sealed his records. As a colonel no less. Before Reagan was sworn in in 1981.

vvv ninjagreen beret edit vvv

A Winner is Jew fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jan 26, 2016

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

A Winner is Jew posted:

17 year old green berets of the undead since thats how old that guy was in 1980 when he says Reagan sealed his records. As a colonel no less.

The best part is that Reagan was not President at any point in 1980.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Who What Now posted:

No, being an rear end in a top hat and mocking someone's mental illness is why they should get out. You should probably gently caress off too.

Exactly, if you don't agree with PJ's made up mythology, get the gently caress out.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

We still haven't recovered from Waco, have we?

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
I dunno, I drank a lot on my last trip to Waco but that was a few nights ago, I'm pretty sure I've fully recovered.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It's like these guys saw Die hard 2 and thought the bad guy were the real heroes. It's all such action movie bullshit.

It reminds me of around when Chris Kyle was hot poo poo, there were lots of stuff about how most veterans who had scene as much action as he did tended to be uncomfortable about what they did. Very much to the tone of "I did my duty" and the specifics not being something they want to get into. I know the guys I know who saw action in Afghanistan really do not want to talk about it. They'll happily talk about what it was like in camp or how the locals treated them and stuff, but when it comes down to action, its the last things they want to talk about it. One guy told me there was one guy in his unit that was way to proud of killing. Would actually carve notches in the butt of his rifle for kill marks and other stuff that sounded like they had seen too many movies. The guy was arrested and dishonorably discharged because he was caught trying to remove an ear from a not quite dead fighter as a trophy. What the gently caress dude?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Captain Bravo posted:

I dunno, I drank a lot on my last trip to Waco but that was a few nights ago, I'm pretty sure I've fully recovered.

How was the barbecue? :haw: :chef:

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Captain Bravo posted:

Well, that's all there is to do in Waco, really. Drink and start up cults that end up being bulldozed by the feds. I guess any action taken by the administration would instantly be painted as either the start of the Islamo-Fascist-Commie-Nazi Dictatorship or a race war.

twistedmentat posted:

It's like these guys saw Die hard 2 and thought the bad guy were the real heroes. It's all such action movie bullshit.

It reminds me of around when Chris Kyle was hot poo poo, there were lots of stuff about how most veterans who had scene as much action as he did tended to be uncomfortable about what they did. Very much to the tone of "I did my duty" and the specifics not being something they want to get into. I know the guys I know who saw action in Afghanistan really do not want to talk about it. They'll happily talk about what it was like in camp or how the locals treated them and stuff, but when it comes down to action, its the last things they want to talk about it. One guy told me there was one guy in his unit that was way to proud of killing. Would actually carve notches in the butt of his rifle for kill marks and other stuff that sounded like they had seen too many movies. The guy was arrested and dishonorably discharged because he was caught trying to remove an ear from a not quite dead fighter as a trophy. What the gently caress dude?

Well, we did have that squad that went off the reservation and was literally hunting civilians for sport...

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

A Winner is Jew posted:

How was the barbecue? :haw: :chef:

I can get good barbecue at home, when I go to Waco I stop at Raisin Canes. :v:

Edit:

citybeatnik posted:

Well, that's all there is to do in Waco, really. Drink and start up cults that end up being bulldozed by the feds.

Ahh, so you've been?

Captain Bravo fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jan 26, 2016

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Goodpancakes posted:

A guy in boot camp claimed that he was a super secret agent on direct orders from the president. Among his lofty claims was landing a Concord jet on an aircraft carrier, instrument only, at night. An immense lie, which was so outstanding, I only stared slack jawed at him. I don't remember what his explanation was for being back at army boot camp though.

My division had a guy who claimed to have a wife and 2 kids living in california and said he was a geobatch, then it came out as false because our chief checked peoples paystubs to make sure everyone was getting paid correctly, it was pretty funny, then he kept up with a few different and insane lies, I think some people just have a wierd need to be validated or some poo poo.

Also know plenty of people who are in the military then lie about their rate or mos when people ask them what they do, probably because they thought being in the military would make them bad asses, then they learned the terrible truth, its just a job.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

Radbot posted:

Exactly, if you don't agree with PJ's made up mythology, get the gently caress out.

Wait, exactly how is PJ's take on the situation, when she's speaking from actual experience (not with this group, sure, but similar groups), made up mythology, but for instance we have someone in this thread claiming that he knows exactly how and why the Feds are doing what they're doing, and all evidence that they're doing nothing is just proof they're being the most cleverest of all law enforcement officers and letting these guys incriminate themselves, lemme tell you about this one case where a judge was lovely that is clearly the entire motivation behind their secret actions disguised as inaction?

I mean, I don't agree with everything PJ is saying or all of her conclusions, but I respect her as someone who, you know, has firsthand experience, where I don't.

Faustian Bargain posted:

I'm enjoying a facebook friend arguing with his Mormon friend about how Ammon was driven to do this by personal inspiration from God how to reconcile it with the church's official statement :allears:

I would loooove to know what he's saying. :allears:

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Turtle Sandbox posted:

My division had a guy who claimed to have a wife and 2 kids living in california and said he was a geobatch, then it came out as false because our chief checked peoples paystubs to make sure everyone was getting paid correctly, it was pretty funny, then he kept up with a few different and insane lies, I think some people just have a wierd need to be validated or some poo poo.

Also know plenty of people who are in the military then lie about their rate or mos when people ask them what they do, probably because they thought being in the military would make them bad asses, then they learned the terrible truth, its just a job.

Yeah, being heavily into the boy scouts when I was younger I knew a ton of people that went into the military and only two of them became more than mechanics or drivers and it's really loving easy to tell the difference between those two and the mechanics / drivers after holding a conversation with them for 5 minutes.

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx
I know this is more of a Freep Thread thing, but "At least one conviction for domestic violence, for vandalizing his ex-wife's trailer." needs to be in the thread title right now, because it encapsulates everything you need to know about these white trash motherfuckers.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I really wonder why it isn't standard operating procedure for local journalists to look into any house rep claiming a combat record. It has to be easy as fuuuuuuck to grab a seat in some of these places just by pretending you killed browns overseas.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

A Winner is Jew posted:

Yeah, being heavily into the boy scouts when I was younger I knew a ton of people that went into the military and only two of them became more than mechanics or drivers and it's really loving easy to tell the difference between those two and the mechanics / drivers after holding a conversation with them for 5 minutes.

I only got alot of the lying about your MOS when we had to interact with army people, in the navy most people just want marketable skills and the promise of those sweet sweet westpac port calls, but I did know people in boot that thought the navy would have them running through the woods with guns, it is one of the most common criticism boot gets from sailors, being the navy they let you fill out a "how was your dining experience" type card before you leave which is pretty great imo.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Turtle Sandbox posted:

I only got alot of the lying about your MOS when we had to interact with army people, in the navy most people just want marketable skills and the promise of those sweet sweet westpac port calls, but I did know people in boot that thought the navy would have them running through the woods with guns, it is one of the most common criticism boot gets from sailors, being the navy they let you fill out a "how was your dining experience" type card before you leave which is pretty great imo.

Do those people think marine is a navy rating? :lol:

Edit: well corpmen, but medics have to be smarter than a sack of bricks

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I really wonder why it isn't standard operating procedure for local journalists to look into any house rep claiming a combat record. It has to be easy as fuuuuuuck to grab a seat in some of these places just by pretending you killed browns overseas.

If you're going after a red candidate then you're either not supporting the troops or it's a smear job. There's also been the slow death of local investigative journalism over the years.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Intel&Sebastian posted:

The only problem is that if your a republican you can make a career as a politician out of being dishonorably discharged resigning from the military to avoid a court marshal because you literally committed a war crime.

Turtle Sandbox posted:

The two that went the SF route one was super heavy into backpacking for weeks at a time and was smarter than poo poo (he become a ranger), and the other was a full on athlete that wasn't quite good enough for a full ride and grew up in a poorish household (he went into recon).

And I'm not saying the people that don't make it into that poo poo are scrubs, just that it's super loving obvious if you're actually a SF or former SF, and I would bet large sums of money that none of those assholes in Oregon are.

A Winner is Jew fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jan 26, 2016

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

A Winner is Jew posted:

The only problem is that if your a republican you can make a career as a politician out of being dishonorably discharged resigning from the military to avoid a court marshal because you literally committed a war crime.

Jesus gently caress, I forgot about that rear end in a top hat.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

As a Millennial I posted:

This poo poo just keeps getting crazier. Turns out the sovereign citizens are the ones who helped kidnap those kids back from CPS.
gently caress with the cops, gently caress with the townspeople, but don't gently caress with the judiciary is probably the lesson this fellow will learn.

Honestly the best thing they could do with prosecutions is to bring them up on some kind of felony charge, and offer plea deals of probation in exchange for guilty pleas. Only for the dinguses to realize later on that having a felony conviction bars you from voting and owning firearms. :haw:

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Saw this linked on twitter, and couldn't believe that fark still existed. I'm sure the feeling is mutual.

Apparently Hunt is also involved with the Cruz Washington state campaign and the allegations of Stolen Valor are really starting to bite.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jan 26, 2016

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Saw this linked on twitter, and couldn't believe that fark still existed. I'm sure the feeling is mutual.

Whole lotta stolen valor there. Now we just need a veterans group to go there and protest.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

Ahahaha

http://www.dailykos.com/stories/2016/1/26/1475404/-An-Oregon-man-involved-in-the-armed-standoff-has-been-arrested-on-multiple-charges-today

quote:

"Our rights are being violated by this camera being here," local Burns resident Levi Majors said to reporters. "This road don't need to be watched by anybody."

The cameras can be remotely operated from miles away and are capable of recording at night.

The occupiers told reporters they believe this is the work of the FBI. The FBI was not available for comment.

"You may come and pick them up," protester LaVoy Finicum said. "Just don't put them back up."

That’s when Levi Majors jumped in and announced that he intended to keep the cameras. As a Harney County resident, he said “I paid for this! These are mine!” Walking away with his prize, he noted “I’ve always wanted one of these!” You can watch him take the cameras at the approximately 5:20 mark of the video below.

I'm going to guess this is for something completely separate, but I'll be pleasantly surprised if it's for those cameras. Either way, laughing at this greedy jackass.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

kartikeya posted:

Ahahaha

http://www.dailykos.com/stories/2016/1/26/1475404/-An-Oregon-man-involved-in-the-armed-standoff-has-been-arrested-on-multiple-charges-today

I'm going to guess this is for something completely separate, but I'll be pleasantly surprised if it's for those cameras. Either way, laughing at this greedy jackass.

Looks like it's from the cameras since he appears to be taking possession of them while on camera. Probably not a great idea to admit openly to performing an actual felony on camera and then upload it for all the world to see, but we're not exactly dealing with the sharpest tools in the shed here.

A Winner is Jew fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jan 26, 2016

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009

kartikeya posted:

Ahahaha

A Winner is Jew posted:

Looks like it's from the cameras since he appears to be taking possession of them while on camera. Probably not a great idea to admit openly to performing an actual felony on camera and then upload it for all the world to see, but we're not exactly dealing with the sharpest tools in the shed here.
I don't get it. At 5:20 in that video he takes the cameras from the guy with the jean jacket and cowboy hat. Another guy also grabs one and a few seconds later they hand both back to the guy in the hat. He didn't run off with it, the guy in the hat did!

The guy in the hat also was the one on the ladder taking them down. Why didn't they arrest him instead? Also the old guy with the hat isn't that the guy with the orphanage or whatever?

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Tuesday, Jan 26, 2016 · 3:42:31 PM EST · Jen Hayden
Levi Majors name no longer appears Harney County Jail Inmate Roster. He has already been released.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
I just noticed the irony of declaring your rights are being violated due to privacy concerns, when Right to Privacy is an implicit part of the constitution, not an explicit one

But the government can only own 10 square miles of land because it says that's the most they can do to establish a capital

Marijuana Nihilist
Aug 27, 2015

by Smythe

A Winner is Jew posted:

lol if u think this rear end in a top hat is going to get punished for this

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.

A Winner is Jew posted:

What NathanScottPhilips said. He hands it back to Finicum at 5.40. I mean, he seems intending to keep it and Finicum is plainly really a bit worried about appearing to steal them, so he makes a point that the fed can come and take them back.

I mean, I guess he went and got them back from Finicum when the camera was off, but the video doesn't show it.

I looked up SCADA and it's apparently a set of industrial monitoring systems. So they've probably taken down some more power relay cameras or something.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
To be fair: That guy looks like the sort of dude who would like those cameras gone from the substation so he can break in later and jack all the copper for his next hit of meth.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

NathanScottPhillips posted:

I don't get it. At 5:20 in that video he takes the cameras from the guy with the jean jacket and cowboy hat. Another guy also grabs one and a few seconds later they hand both back to the guy in the hat. He didn't run off with it, the guy in the hat did!

The guy in the hat also was the one on the ladder taking them down. Why didn't they arrest him instead? Also the old guy with the hat isn't that the guy with the orphanage or whatever?

The guy in the hat probably hasn't been identified leaving the shelter (or, like Bundy, walks around with a bunch of armed friends). Levi probably made the mistake of walking past some cops openly and got arrested.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

chitoryu12 posted:

The guy in the hat probably hasn't been identified leaving the shelter (or, like Bundy, walks around with a bunch of armed friends). Levi probably made the mistake of walking past some cops openly and got arrested.

That and it's super easy to go to a judge with that video and say "we have reason to believe he is storing stolen property for a theft he participated in" to get a warrant, and upon a search if they found one of the cameras then that's it for him.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

kartikeya posted:

Ahahaha

That's like when they were digging around in the garage and mentioned that the newish looking pontoon boat looked cool. Then quickly swapped language to "We're going to take...positive posession of this since it was bought "by the people" and WE'RE THE PEOPLE".

And in the end: New boat! They're like 4 year olds who think that they can just take things "because it's my favorite" or "I play with it all the time!".

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

"The guy in the hat" is LaVoy freakin' Finicum. You might as well ask why they haven't arrested Ammon yet.

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.

"The guy in the hat" is LaVoy freakin' Finicum. You might as well ask why they haven't arrested Ammon yet.

I think they mean the guy in the blue beanie on the ladder.

The local law enforcement has no doubt agreed to be hands off with the people at the refuge unless they witness a crime in progress. Locals would be another matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

NathanScottPhillips posted:

Oh. There are many hats. Well, yes, the old guy with the hat is LaVoy Finicum, the "guy with the orphanage or whatever."

• Locked thread