Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hard
Jul 31, 2005
Kid Napalm
Guys have you noticed the small patch?

The greedy suits assholes just released bolted the Emerald skin for any weapons at the low price of 3.99$ (CAD)

Please buy it so this game doesn't die in a few months since no one wants to deal with this poo poo.

Sincerely ~An infuriated Dev.

Speaking from a player's perspective here. Behind all your salt i do think you bring some valid points that are plaguing the industry. It's easy to get greedy as everything is about consumption and profit or simply because the servers need to stay up however i sincerely think this is not the case with what this game is going for. Sure you have horror stories like PAYDAY2 but putting all your eggs in the same basket isn't the way to go.

Hard fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jan 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Can I unironically, super seriously, get an exclusive skin for my weapons that cost $100?

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
Wait. So you can buy characters and skins with in game currency?

Thats pretty awesome.

Kerrow
Mar 18, 2011

ZERO-G HERO

Keket posted:

Videos a bit rambling, but this dude knows some loving sweet spots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9TV5NRwdjw

Thanks for posting this.

Used the one where you shoot the top of garage door, even if they are reinforced. to start the round. Dude didnt even fire one round back :v

Proceeded to ace the overtime round. Blew the garage door, climbed up, breached the side entrance to the catwalk, last of my teammates died, two guys tried to rush me into the side room, killed both. Peeked down to the garage, got a lucky HS on guy waiting on me prone behind a bike downstairs, ran outside to the garage door hole I blew, spotted pulse with drone peeking around the side entrance, boom.

I don't think I ever felt so smug about a video game. :smug:

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Talkc posted:

Wait. So you can buy characters and skins with in game currency?

Thats pretty awesome.

The default 20 operators are unlocked with the earned currency - "renown". It takes 20,000 to unlock all the dudes.
The post-release operators are unlocked with either the earned currency(initially 25,000 per man, people are saying it's now 22,500 but I haven't seen a source), the microtransaction currency(R6 credits, approx $5 worth), or by owning the season pass, the latter of which also gives access to them a week early.

ItheWelp87 posted:

Yeah I don't know what this guy is talking about. I'm a filthy casual and this is the first game in years that's held my attention for more than a couple weeks.

That being said, 22K per operator unlock for this upcoming content pack seems a bit steep. Maybe to the order of 2x what it should be...

If you're playing an hour or two a night until it comes out you'll probably have enough for both new dudes.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Do you need to unlock the new operators to have access to those operators recruits? Will we even get recruits for these new operators?

Also, I do not think I've bought a season pass to any game every except this one.

Hard
Jul 31, 2005
Kid Napalm

BadLlama posted:

Do you need to unlock the new operators to have access to those operators recruits? Will we even get recruits for these new operators?

Also, I do not think I've bought a season pass to any game every except this one.

No JTF2 recruits :quebec: :canada:

Keshik
Oct 27, 2000

Warning that jamesray is not a team player:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQo4hKqXlPM

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Hard posted:

No JTF2 recruits :quebec: :canada:

Cancel pre-orders.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Hard posted:

Speaking from a player's perspective here. Behind all your salt i do think you bring some valid points that are plaguing the industry. It's easy to get greedy as everything is about consumption and profit or simply because the servers need to stay up however i sincerely think this is not the case with what this game is going for. Sure you have horror stories like PAYDAY2 but putting all your eggs in the same basket isn't the way to go.

Payday 2 is a bad example. They just released CS:GO skins, and one out of like a hundred would get you like +2 reduced recoil out of 100 in, or give you one extra bullet to shoot, and the loudest voices of an already toxic community lost their poo poo. Over skins that other games do, with stat boosts that literally did nothing except in like one case, and more substantial stat boosts are now part of the regular unlock rotation.

The bigger problem I think is the EA model of putting game modes and maps behind DLC, and locking you out of servers because they have the expansions in rotation whether you have the current-running map/mode or not. It's gone from killing playerbase later down the line to killing it on day one if you don't buy the DLC. Or conversely, you have the expansions you paid for, and nobody plays them, leaving the community to play the same handful of maps over and over. That's why I like Ubi's R6 model. All of the substantial content like maps and modes are free so people aren't locked out of matches for not having the DLC. Operators and 90-some percent of the skins are affordable for community members that play regularly, which is a neat little way of keeping up the playerbase. And if you want something right now, then you can just buy it without being able to unlock everything without having to pour out a large amount of cash.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!

lohli posted:

The default 20 operators are unlocked with the earned currency - "renown". It takes 20,000 to unlock all the dudes.
The post-release operators are unlocked with either the earned currency(initially 25,000 per man, people are saying it's now 22,500 but I haven't seen a source), the microtransaction currency(R6 credits, approx $5 worth), or by owning the season pass, the latter of which also gives access to them a week early.

If you're playing an hour or two a night until it comes out you'll probably have enough for both new dudes.

Seems cool. I read some editorial on Arstechinca about the game dying out due to micro transactions like evolve did. Seemed like a lot of hyperbole.

My only remaining question is, for an NA player whats the server stability like? I'm assuming it uses Uplay stuff ( which i have Zero experience with on pc ).

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

The R6 dlc model is nothing like evolve. Uplay is garbage but they have been polishing their turd real hard.

Hard
Jul 31, 2005
Kid Napalm

Talkc posted:

Arstechinca

The reviews on this site are beyond loving :psypop:

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!

Hard posted:

Yeah it popped up in the news section of a google search. Site seems to be filled with some jackassery. Kinda like the Gaming equivalent of Salon.

This game kinda slipped under my radar before some friends started playing it. Between this and the Division it seems like the Tom Clancy brand is coming back.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Hard posted:

It's because ubisoft doesn't pay them for good reviews so they give lovely half assed ones.

E: division looks loving awful. It's like a more boring cover-shootery version of Destiny. Every bit of its gameplay I've seen looks like EverythingWrongWithModernGaming.mp4

Great Beer fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jan 27, 2016

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

Talkc posted:

Between this and the Division

... and Ghost Recon: Wildlands

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

whoknew posted:

Which I am cautiously excited about. I hope it is good, I really do.

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

El Jebus posted:

Which I am cautiously excited about. I hope it is good, I really do.

It does look pretty cool.

Seems like they have their bases covered, with TPS RPG, close-quarters competitive shooter, and open-world co-op.

JamesRay
Feb 18, 2004

Out with the Old, in with the Auld

Keshik posted:

Warning that jamesray is not a team player:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQo4hKqXlPM

More like I played their team! This is a rare occurrence where I did well with shooting the mans.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!

whoknew posted:

Oh poo poo, i forgot about that. If that game ends up being even half of what it promises it ought to be pretty good.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

I finally popped my "sledge through a wall and slay dudes" cherry. It feels good, I tell ya. Feels good.'

I've largely ignored sledge for a while, but I really like his second rifle and once you get a hang of where you should use the sledgehammer (everywhere) he becomes very fun to play.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Popping a Castle barricade then killing sombody that was obviously surprised by it going down all of a sudden is just :allears:

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
I had a couple really good round endings recently that I just had to share.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBhQ3zJjBzY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOC5MTAlJPo

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

BadLlama posted:

The R6 dlc model is nothing like evolve. Uplay is garbage but they have been polishing their turd real hard.

The worst thing about Uplay is how broken matchmaking still is. Oftentimes when we pick up another squad member after one leaves its just easier to exit the game and kill/relaunch the client in order to make sure it doesn't gently caress up.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
The problems plaguing this game are related to servers: hit reg; netcode; latency; and matchmaking: poor MMR calibration; poor team building; bugs; errors.

If you are complaining about the microtransactions you either don't own the game and know how they work or you have PTSD from the time big game company x burned you with microtransactions in some other title and the mere mention of digital goods sends you into a frothing gamer justice rage.

SpazmasterX posted:

I climaxed.

Finlands Sexiest
Feb 26, 2007

SpazmasterX posted:

YEah this was awesome

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Peanut butter could take a lesson in smoothness from this.

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

amazeballs posted:

If you are complaining about the microtransactions you either don't own the game and know how they work or you have PTSD from the time big game company x burned you with microtransactions in some other title and the mere mention of digital goods sends you into a frothing gamer justice rage.

I don't care about microtransactions, let alone in this game, and this is still really embarrassing

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Apologies if this has already been answered (maybe even on this very page!) But if I have the season pass, what day does the black ice dlc release for me?

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
2nd of Feb, non season pass owners get it on the 9th

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

lohli posted:

2nd of Feb for pro mlg gamers, 9th for filthy casuals

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I really wish opfor always had an evil alt skin of the character. I want rainbow vs the baddies, not rainbow vs rainbow.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

OKPlanB you should let us play operators on the opposite teams in custom game. Thanks.

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

ShineDog posted:

I really wish opfor always had an evil alt skin of the character. I want rainbow vs the baddies, not rainbow vs rainbow.

I wouldn't be surprised to see this, but I'd expect they'd probably charge for alternate operator skins.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

VulgarandStupid posted:

OKPlanB you should let us play operators on the opposite teams in custom game. Thanks.

I like this a lot. Always wanted to play ash on defense and blow some wall breachers up :twisted:

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Someone earlier in thread gave a pretty good explanation for Rainbow vs Rainbow, in that it's actually training scenarios. Just with live rounds and killing fellow Rainbow operatives. :v:

WelpEcho
Sep 12, 2006
Clearly it's the yellow pollen bomb at the end of the situations that turned some rainbow operatives into terrorists.

vvvv Having twice the number of "cool Rainbow operators" instead of half rainbow half terrorists probably sounded lame for a "Rainbow Six Game (TM)"

WelpEcho fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jan 27, 2016

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I imagine they didn't go with terrorist defenders just to avoid some possible bad PR from annoying people?

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Do what America's Army did, the other team is always skinned as OpFor from your perspective.

e: Makes it less intuitive to ID their operator, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WelpEcho
Sep 12, 2006
Honestly though, who actually cares that their immersion is being broken in this game?

• Locked thread