Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.

My bad. I must've read someone refer to "the guy in the hat" - the one who actually took down the cameras - in the Kos thread.

e: oh, no, it was here. It's like that scene from The Big Chill - "I think the guy in the hat did something terrible" (a stoned William Hurt watching a movie in which everyone is wearing a hat).

Perfectly Safe fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jan 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

Mugshot more like smugshot :smug:

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Before anybody starts cheering about how this is how we win peacefully, by arresting and charging them whenever they finally give us a chance - several of the militants who are there now were arrested and charged after the 9-month Sugar Pine Mine standoff, released to await their court date. That's the standoff that's been held up as the example of how we don't "make another Waco" or whatever.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

kartikeya posted:

I would loooove to know what he's saying. :allears:
You asked for it...

quote:

The fact that the protesters carry weapons does not make this an "armed conflict"

quote:

Just because they claim to own land, does not make it so. We the people claim it too. We want to use it for a variety of public uses. Just because congress makes a law, does not make it legal. Unless the constitution is amended, it overrides any other law in this union of states
Then a lot of quotes from the constitution.

Then some stuff on how the church statement is really just to protect the church from the decades of unfair treatment by the government.

Then about how the church doesn't want to drive its weaker members away :ohdear:

quote:

Most are not ready for this fight, honestly admitting. Just like you were not ready to be part of the fight in defense of traditional marriage definitions, more members are unable to defend this fight because of their lack of knowledge or understanding of laws. Putting the church in the forefront of conflict causes members, who just want to improve their lives, to feel anxiety about the church and their place in it. Those with weak testimonies may falter under this strain.

Not everyone in the church has been so blessed with a testimony of the restored gospel as have I. *long bearing of testimony*

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

As a Millennial I posted:

Saw this linked on twitter, and couldn't believe that fark still existed. I'm sure the feeling is mutual.

so all of them are just wannabee army larpers with awful politics.

twistedmentat posted:

It's like these guys saw Die hard 2 and thought the bad guy were the real heroes. It's all such action movie bullshit.

It reminds me of around when Chris Kyle was hot poo poo, there were lots of stuff about how most veterans who had scene as much action as he did tended to be uncomfortable about what they did. Very much to the tone of "I did my duty" and the specifics not being something they want to get into. I know the guys I know who saw action in Afghanistan really do not want to talk about it. They'll happily talk about what it was like in camp or how the locals treated them and stuff, but when it comes down to action, its the last things they want to talk about it. One guy told me there was one guy in his unit that was way to proud of killing. Would actually carve notches in the butt of his rifle for kill marks and other stuff that sounded like they had seen too many movies. The guy was arrested and dishonorably discharged because he was caught trying to remove an ear from a not quite dead fighter as a trophy. What the gently caress dude?

this.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

snorch posted:

dude needs to put on some mass

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

snorch posted:

I get that he's short but 113 lbs is crazy light for a dude

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Meth is a fucker.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Before anybody starts cheering about how this is how we win peacefully, by arresting and charging them whenever they finally give us a chance - several of the militants who are there now were arrested and charged after the 9-month Sugar Pine Mine standoff, released to await their court date. That's the standoff that's been held up as the example of how we don't "make another Waco" or whatever.

Yes, these assholes are going to keep doing this, and I agree that they all need to be arrested. But right now isn't the time to charge in and arrest them all.

Also, Sugar Pine was ultimately a nothing burger and that is the point. No one is going to commit an act of terror because of Pine Ridge.

Again, there is nothing we can do to prevent all future incidents like this, the right wing base is too riled up for that. There are just too many people that have gone off the deep end. What we can do is prevent the marginal cases from crossing that line and acting out.

Take a look at this video. This was played before the sermon at a mega-church with 10,000 members. These are the people that I believe we don't want to be giving any more validation for their paranoid beliefs than we absolutely must.
https://youtu.be/UjjfTbzo3Ic

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jan 26, 2016

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Is there an idea you have that doesn't involve living in fear of the right wing at all times and catering to their every delusional demand?

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Radbot posted:

Is there an idea you have that doesn't involve living in fear of the right wing at all times and catering to their every delusional demand?

The moment we stop doing that they are going to pull of a waco/11.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Radbot posted:

There are not many people on this board with as legitimate a gripe with right wing extremists as I have. You think you are outraged by what is happening here? Walk a mile in my shoes. It is extremely difficult for me to be among those urging patience in this situation.

Urging patience so that we avoid sticking our collective dicks in a wasp nest is not "catering". I have layed out several times that i think a shootout is incredibly likely in this situation and that my goal is to see as little knock on after affects from this as possible. I have explained repeatedly that I want to see them all arrested as soon as they leave the refuge. All I am saying is that if you go John Rambo on this one it's going to spook a whole bunch of people into believing their own personal version of tribulations is at hand, and those people are going to treat parts of our country like it's their own personal Fallout 4 server.

Whereas if the FBI keeps letting the clown show play out it will mean fewer marginal cases go full psycho when the showdown finally comes.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jan 26, 2016

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Prester Jane posted:

No one is going to commit an act of terror because of Pine Ridge.

Well duh, you don't tour on your 2nd to last album.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

Turtle Sandbox posted:

A Double Waco with a side-order of OKC and Ruby Ridge sauce.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Rawstory is reporting that the mom who took her 7 kids on down to Militialand to sing previously had a different one of them taken away by the state after he ran away and apparently supplied enough evidence to get put in foster care.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Rawstory is reporting that the mom who took her 7 kids on down to Militialand to sing previously had a different one of them taken away by the state after he ran away and apparently supplied enough evidence to get put in foster care.

She brought them there to look pretty while dying on camera. Something like that happens and it's just a matter of time before she loses the rest

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Turtle Sandbox posted:

Okay so we are literally allowing people to get away with terrorism because... we are afraid of what they might do to us? Like okay a lot of people have gone on record in this thread even being like 'well these aren't terrorists because they're not killing anyone', but they are literally using a terror that they might get a bunch of women and children - who are related to them - killed, inorder to try and make us give in to their demands.

Just arrest any militia member who leaves the camp until they board themselves up and refuse to leave, don't let mail go to them, and let them break when they've run out of food for themselves. Medieval siege this poo poo.

Seriously, people are freaking out like any action is going to make millions rise up in arms and kill everyone, and if that's a serious threat then those people should be under watch.

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jan 27, 2016

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
i say we should just shoot them. What do you all think

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003

I can't help but think that the police wouldn't have handled him quite so gently after making death threats and resisting arrest if he was bla... Ugh gently caress it.

Maureen Peltier:Their Facebook Communications Officer who is not actually at the site. She claims to be a current member of the Washington State National Guard, but has not attended drill since 2014. This anti-government warrior is currently appealing her pending discharge to score a full disability retirement. She is also a "person of interest" in the theft of explosives from her battalion's armory.

Yea lets just leave these little guys alone and let them have their fun. They'll get bored and go home eventually.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

KittyEmpress posted:

Seriously, people are freaking out like any action is going to make millions rise up in arms and kill everyone, and if that's a serious threat then those people should be under watch.

Does nobody have a sense of scale? Is exaggerated strawmen the only thing we can use any more?

Nobody's said anything about "millions". But as Oklahoma City proved, it only takes a single determined crazy to cause pretty massive death and destruction. Even totally discounting the possibility of any terrorist attacks coming from this, starving them out or starting a gunfight likely puts children and unarmed individuals at risk of injury or death. Every kid or unarmed wife who freezes or gets shot becomes a face for right-wing media to use against the federal government after Malheur ends.

A siege and arrest probably would have worked within the first few days. Now there are kids and unarmed individuals at the site who are put at risk and they've got plenty of supplies to last them. The situation is no longer one that can be resolved through just hurting people until they give in or die. I mean, it could. But it would be a PR nightmare at best.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

KittyEmpress posted:

The FBI has started looking in to white militia movements like this. Which then leads to select portions of our national media freaking out about how that person in the white house is starting to target people that disagree with him and YOU MIGHT BE NEXT!

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

KittyEmpress posted:

Not millions, but hundreds or possibly a few thousand. And while they will be crushed, they would do a ton of damage and hurt a bunch of people on their way out.

This is a religious uprising. And this religion happens to have a serious fetish for guns in addition to a half century worth of prophecy about a doomsday that they think they are currently living through. It would be ill advised to provide any validation to that narrative.

I literally have a gigantic thread where I spent much of last year explaining how these groups function and accurately predicting that scenarios like this would start to play out. Maybe I just got lucky and my analysis of this situation is severely flawed. That is possible. But at present I do not personally think I am far off and think it can be argued that I possess a fairly good idea of the situation with right wing extremists in the country.

I mean hell, I predicted back in September that Trump would dominate the GOP primaries at a time when Nate Silver (and every other expert) was still insisting that Trump's chances were remote at best. I feel I've got my finger on the pulse of the right wing much better than most

To clarify a quick point, I don't believe any truly society disrupting wave of violence is possible here no matter what the FBI does or how badly this may get bungled. But I do believe that we can reduce the amount of violence from the right wing in the coming months by waiting as long as possible.

Considering that in an hour the militants are meeting in another County where the local Sheriff is supporting them the militants may start expanding soon and that quite likely will force the Federal government to stop being passive very soon anyways. So this debate might stop being a purely academic exercise in fairly short order.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jan 27, 2016

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

We should send in The A-Team.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

atomicthumbs posted:

i say we should just shoot them. What do you all think

Now don't go crazy there, Ivan. We don't know the full story out there in Oregon yet. As far as we know, the feds have been a force of complete oppression and incompetence in the way of these fellas success.

I think them Bundy boys should be given the benefit of doubt for the time being. We should let these fellas state their case in the calm, articulate way they have been using thus far.

Support our troops.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

My Man Shran posted:

Now don't go crazy there, Ivan. We don't know the full story out there in Oregon yet. As far as we know, the feds have been a force of complete oppression and incompetence in the way of these fellas success.

I think them Bundy boys should be given the benefit of doubt for the time being. We should let these fellas state their case in the calm, articulate way they have been using thus far.

Support our troops.

Nah, I think the other guy is on to something...

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Yes the government should flagrantly gun down dissidents. Your perspective starts to change when you're the dissident being gunned down.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

LeoMarr posted:

Yes the government should flagrantly gun down dissidents. Your perspective starts to change when you're the dissident being gunned down.

I too take all posts at face value in this comedy forum.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

LeoMarr posted:

No I think this is a good plan. We should kill the white people and treat all the others in the same way black people have been treated for the last 200 years.

This will obviously involve infecting a small West Virginian town with syphilis without their knowledge.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

LeoMarr posted:

How about those engaged in an armed insurrection against the government? I think there was a famous case made in the past about that, something about the state of Georgia vs. some Sherman guy.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
So if the lesson of Oklahoma City is that white, right-wing gun nuts are forevermore to be treated with kid gloves and not even to be arrested for committing felonies, what are we as a nation to have learned from 9/11?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

marshalljim posted:

So if the lesson of Oklahoma City is that white, right-wing gun nuts are forevermore to be treated with kid gloves and not even to be arrested for committing felonies, what are we as a nation to have learned from 9/11?

We can get our kicks beating up other countries instead of dealing with our own problems.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

marshalljim posted:

Well we really didn't have to learn that we can bomb muslims and no one gives a poo poo since we already knew that.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

Faustian Bargain posted:

You asked for it...

Then a lot of quotes from the constitution.

Then some stuff on how the church statement is really just to protect the church from the decades of unfair treatment by the government.

Then about how the church doesn't want to drive its weaker members away :ohdear:

That is some amazing degree of bullshit right there. Like, top grade quality, wow. Also I'm guessing this guy has somehow missed all those times humility was emphasized, because lol MAH STRONG TESTIMONY tells me that church authorities secretly agree with me!

Your friend should quote him the tenth article of faith, though I suspect he'd just go MAH CONSTITUTION, since he's already made the argument that Congress making laws doesn't make them legal. :allears:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Oregonlive is now reporting a new meeting scheduled to take place in a senior center in the next county where the sheriff expressed support and said the FBI should leave Harney county.

They also report that he's part of some sovcit sounding police club, which I wasn't aware of before.

Congrats feds! Now you have a rogue state sheriff in the mix. This is sure to get less volatile aaaaaany second now.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Oregonlive is now reporting a new meeting scheduled to take place in a senior center in the next county where the sheriff expressed support and said the FBI should leave Harney county.

They also report that he's part of some sovcit sounding police club, which I wasn't aware of before.

Congrats feds! Now you have a rogue state sheriff in the mix. This is sure to get less volatile aaaaaany second now.

Yeah, that jackass has been making comments here and there throughout. He's not just a member of the local SovCit group (that committee thing), they honored him, last year I believe, for being such a great SovCit dude. So now he's meeting with terrorists, that's great. Can we arrest him too? (I know, I know).

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

marshalljim posted:

Are you just intentionally ignoring the nuance of what people say?

It's not about "kid gloves" or letting people run free committing crimes. It's about acknowledging that Malheur has likely turned from something that would be easy to contain and shut down within a week to a potential powder keg of violence. Arresting Ammon Bundy as soon as he walks outside could end the standoff as the leaderless militia surrenders or consumes itself from within....or it could be the opening for a more volatile member like Jon Ritzenheimer to seize power and turn the standoff into a base for staging terrorist attacks. Besieging the refuge with blockades and cutting the power could force a surrender....or it could result in children and unarmed wives and hanger-ons freezing to death when the more crazy and armed people in charge refuse to let anyone abandon their plans. And then there's the constant risk of the FBI inspiring new terrorist attacks from straight up attacking the settlement.

Everyone who's advocated for a more nuanced approach (like Prester Jane) has outright said that they need to be punished in some manner, and really want to see it. But you also have to acknowledge that letting the thing grow to this point has also created a dangerous situation, and saying "Just start a siege, shoot anyone with a gun, and viciously stamp out resistance" shows a total lack of understanding of what's going on and the possible repercussions of acting too hastily.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Here's a red hot take: what happens when/if an equally unhinged crazy who is against the bundys decides to start shooting and the bundys decide it's a psyop and go hot against the fbi?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Crain posted:

Here's a red hot take: what happens when/if an equally unhinged crazy who is against the bundys decides to start shooting and the bundys decide it's a psyop and go hot against the fbi?

A flag so false it becomes true

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Crain posted:

That man will be a hero who did what the useless Feds weren't willing to do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

kartikeya posted:

Ahahaha

http://www.dailykos.com/stories/2016/1/26/1475404/-An-Oregon-man-involved-in-the-armed-standoff-has-been-arrested-on-multiple-charges-today

I'm going to guess this is for something completely separate, but I'll be pleasantly surprised if it's for those cameras. Either way, laughing at this greedy jackass.

A bit of nerdy fun related to this, now that I had a chance to actually watch the video:

yeehadist posted:

(camera IP address) 172.19.7.52
(camera model#) cannon vd-h43

Owner of that IP: https://www.robtex.com/en/advisory/ip/172/19/7/52/#whois
it's a private address like 192.168.1.1 - nobody "owns" it let alone governments

yeehadist posted:

There's wireless ip router that's capable of grabbing bandwidth from ANY network available, wireless, wifi, you name it, anything.

Furthermore there's a manufacturer's address code on this unit. Every IP related device that is manufactured or brought into the united states has a unique and individual manufacturer's address code. This is so this device can be traced at any time anywhere in the world. I will guarantee when you take this mac address you're gonna find it's the department of homeland security or the FBI, or some entity as such, in your community mounting surveillance cameras without your knowledge. How do you feel about that, folks?

f4:81:39:ee:3f:90
This one shouldn't be a surprise: http://hwaddress.com/mac-address-range/F4-81-39-00-00-00/F4-81-39-FF-FF-FF

• Locked thread