Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Sounds like someone got a "come to Jesus" talk from the feds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

fsif posted:

Yeah I don't mean to suggest that this is an exact parallel to unarmed black men (and boys) being shot down by city police, but it's premature for us to just take "they shot first" at face value. I agree it's much more likely these guys did indeed start a serious altercation, but I don't think it's enough to take the police's word for it without serious investigation.

We shouldn't jump to conclusions until we know more about the goals of the armed insurgents who have stated that they aren't going to be arrested without a fight.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

fsif posted:

Yeah I don't mean to suggest that this is an exact parallel to unarmed black men (and boys) being shot down by city police, but it's premature for us to just take "they shot first" at face value. I agree it's much more likely these guys did indeed start a serious altercation, but I don't think it's enough to take the police's word for it without serious investigation.

Several months ago these exact same people pointed guns at BLM members and threatened to use women and children as body shields during a shoot out with federal agents. The ones still alive and out of custody are currently going to fight to the death.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Santelli's got a new stream up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ohw1uI1NsmU

:haw:

No quarter for any of the assholes that have gone on record saying they are willing to die. Throw a gun at their feet if you have to :clint:

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Volkerball posted:

i've seen reports of 800 dead and 2,000 wounded, as well as about 8 other names of people being the one who was killed in that chat.
I've seen reports of 200 people shot or taken away with bags over their heads. These reports exist because people are moron(i)s.

evilweasel posted:

they're trying to claim he was shot after he surrendered so expect to hear about that for a while, hopefully everything is on video
I hope so. Multiple videos of the situation would be incredible government transparency. It's fascinating that I can watch this happening almost in real time. I couldn't turn off the video feed. From my Tragic Drama class a while back I know that "anagnoresis," although it translates as "recognition," really means the recognition not of something familiar but of one's true situation. Oedipus realizing he has doomed himself and his entire kingdom. MacBeth seeing Birman Wood come to Dunsinane. And also, the moment in Santilli's youtube live feed when he realizes that Blaine Cooper was not going to let women and children leave the compound.

STAC Goat posted:

I'm watching this recorded Santelli video and its absurd. Santelli is freaking out yelling "No one has to die! Calm down FBI! Its time to go! Its over!" Like, what the hell did you think you were doing here? How did you expect this poo poo to end?

If anything shows what full of poo poo cowards these guys are its this video. I mean, I'm glad they're not actual martyrs who would take lives for it but gently caress, man. "We got arrested and the crazy guy who said he'd never be taken alive is dead!" Ummm... did you just arrive here? "There's kids up there!" Yeah, you put them there.

STAC Goat posted:

Now I'm up to the part where Pete is freaking out because "Blaine" is apparently going to go Suicide by Cop or something.

Who the gently caress did Pete think he was living with the last month? Did he listen to ANY of the poo poo said on his youtube account?

STAC Goat posted:

Seriously, what the gently caress is wrong with these people? THIS IS WHAT YOU JUST SPENT THE LAST MONTH ASKING FOR, YOU ASSHOLES! YOU KILLED THAT GUY! YOU MADE KIDS INTO HOSTAGES!
This is the reason my sympathy for him, while it exists (he seems legit concerned for those kids), could be measured in microns.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

fsif posted:

I'm with you. I've said all along that I want the cops to preserve life as rule #1 in this just as much as I do in any inner city or with any person of any color. Its sad that a life was lost and it should be scrutinized. But, you know. A month of "they'll never take me alive" makes an impact on your perspective.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Do the Oregon state troopers upload their body cams to youtube regularly like some city pd's do?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
I decided to try and practice drawing a bottle of varnish for a few minutes anything new/verified?

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx

Weembles posted:

Sounds like someone got a "come to Jesus" talk from the feds.

Reminds me of something out of Man in the High Castle

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

Ritzheimer is not in Oregon.

https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/692192165104087041

Who else is a noted hothead up there? Blaine seems to be the one they keep talking to.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

https://twitter.com/LesZaitz/status/692192479488184322

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

MechaFrogzilla posted:

Posted it on the last page. Looks inapplicable under the facts as we know them.

which is good, overly broad felony murder rules are an invitation to gross injustices and this should be obvious to anyone who thinks about them seriously

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Alter Ego posted:

It's unfortunate that one of these wackjobs had to die to end this. Their family shouldn't have had to suffer because of their idiocy.

Mr Interweb posted:

Man, sorta sad to hear that it was Tarp Man that bit the dust. He was probably the least worst person in the the militia. :smith:

Neither of you were particularly familiar with the guy who was shot beyond him being the one hiding under the tarp, are you? He's the one who had a flow of orphans going through his ranch and who collected over $100,000 in government money a year as a foster parent (until the charities involved decided to stop recently I think? Someone mentioned that, and that they only do that after repeated reports of abuse or something) while most likely having the kids work as (government-funded, underage) ranch hands on his ranch, and who was the one who had the kids kidnapped from CPS if I recall correctly.

That he died isn't a good thing, but in all honesty out of everyone there I'd argue that he probably "deserved" death the most, being a child-exploiting bastard. And, given that he did make all those statements about dying rather than being arrested, while I definitely want more details I think I may know how his death came about.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

trickybiscuits posted:

I've seen reports of 200 people shot or taken away with bags over their heads. These reports exist because people are moron(i)s.

well youtube chatters are just youtube commenters who are free at the moment, so

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug
If they actually stand their ground, there's no way this doesn't become some kind of long, drawn out siege of attrition.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

I missed everything and I dont keep track of which livestream is which, what one is best?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Oh good. He is getting the book along with the rest of them.

Maybe he'll learn that being a member of the press, instead of the "press", actually has rules.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Baron Porkface posted:

I missed everything and I dont keep track of which livestream is which, what one is best?

there's only one?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Woooooooo!

quote:

Several hours later, Jon Ritzheimer, 32, a key militant leader, surrendered to police on the conspiracy charge. He gained national fame for complaining on a video about the delivery of sex toys to the refuge in response to the occupiers' plea for supplies.

Police also arrested Pete Santilli, an independent broadcaster known for his aggressive manner and live streaming refuge events. Details of his charges couldn't immediately be learned.
http://www.oregonlive.com/oregon-standoff/2016/01/bundys_in_custody_one_militant.html

:dance: :dance: :dance:

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!

I'm so glad that's the second sentence of the story.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

UV_Catastrophe posted:

If they actually stand their ground, there's no way this doesn't become some kind of long, drawn out siege of attrition.

It sucks since I assume this is what the FBI was desperately trying to avoid by waiting until they could grab all these guys at once away from the hostages. Sadly they sound like they left at least one nutter behind.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

This is a goddamned masterstroke. They played into their delusions to lure the leadership into an ambush. It's a perfect countermove.

It's also going to drive an astonishing wave of paranoia in the movement. This will lead to some.............interesting and very public meltdowns.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

YAY!

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

kartikeya posted:

Ritzheimer is not in Oregon.

https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/692192165104087041

Who else is a noted hothead up there? Blaine seems to be the one they keep talking to.

Lol go ahead and pretend to care about your girls now, last I checked daddy took an oath. Shut the gently caress up and face the music rear end in a top hat.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

good. that's the guy who put out the tearfilled video about how he was ready to die there, so it's good he surrendered.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Hate to be the bearer of bad news here, but Blaine is going to do everything he can to make sure those kids die on live TV

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

UV_Catastrophe posted:

Since they have been allowed to move freely they probably don't have the supplies to actually stay there for a long time.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
https://twitter.com/LesZaitz/status/692192654378078208

"defend our peaceful resolution" means "they'll never take us alive" doesn't it

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Prester Jane posted:

This is a goddamned masterstroke. They played into their delusions to lure the leadership into an ambush. It's a perfect countermove.

It's also going to drive an astonishing wave of paranoia in the movement. This will lead to some.............interesting and very public meltdowns.

If that Sheriff actually turns out to have been playing the SovCit movement in order to honeypot them I'll eat a literal crow.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Roland Jones posted:

Neither of you were particularly familiar with the guy who was shot beyond him being the one hiding under the tarp, are you? He's the one who had a flow of orphans going through his ranch and who collected over $100,000 in government money a year as a foster parent (until the charities involved decided to stop recently I think? Someone mentioned that, and that they only do that after repeated reports of abuse or something) while most likely having the kids work as (government-funded, underage) ranch hands on his ranch, and who was the one who had the kids kidnapped from CPS if I recall correctly.

That he died isn't a good thing, but in all honesty out of everyone there I'd argue that he probably "deserved" death the most, being a child-exploiting bastard. And, given that he did make all those statements about dying rather than being arrested, while I definitely want more details I think I may know how his death came about.

You're right, but that's why I said he was the least worst person. Still bad, but probably not as bad as that Ritzheimer or Santelli gently caress.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Epic High Five posted:

Hate to be the bearer of bad news here, but Blaine is going to do everything he can to make sure those kids die on live TV

and a man who just surrendered claimed he'd fight to the death there. we don't know how any of these people are going to respond.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Prester Jane posted:

i can only imagine how bad the chaos going on back at the refuge. i am sure some are loving fleeing and others are barricading the place up.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

atomicthumbs posted:

https://twitter.com/LesZaitz/status/692192654378078208

"defend our peaceful resolution" means "they'll never take us alive" doesn't it

Yes. Blaine Cooper has, via Pete Santilli and that woman on his stream, said as much. They were freaking out earlier and Pete got arrested trying to go back to the refuge to try and get them out.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Epic High Five posted:

Can someone explain the situation with the kids?

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Crain posted:

If that Sheriff actually turns out to have been playing the SovCit movement in order to honeypot them I'll eat a literal crow.

Yea, most PDs are filled with insane crazy people, around here they openly associate with the local biker gangs, and not the weekend dad ones.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Crain posted:

Yes. Blaine Cooper has, via Pete Santilli and that woman on his stream, said as much. They were freaking out earlier and Pete got arrested trying to go back to the refuge to try and get them out.

well, this could get ugly.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

LGD posted:

which is good, overly broad felony murder rules are an invitation to gross injustices and this should be obvious to anyone who thinks about them seriously

Agreed. There are plenty of more applicable statutes they can nail these guys with.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

Crain posted:

If the Sheriff was gaming the Bundy's to lure them out then that actually makes the FBI/LE seem rather competent.

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug
I think it's quite likely that at the very least, there will be a small handful of true believers left to occupy the refuge no matter what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Roland Jones posted:

I think the one who kidnapped his kids back was Cooper.

• Locked thread