Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

Buhbuhj posted:

Yeah Cage was the only one that said it looked cool but suddenly everyone that "lowers" their car is just doing for that reason also. Unless you get coilovers it's pretty hard to find springs that keep your ride height stock.

edit: ps Cage I like your car

lowered looks cool. a pony car should never have wheel gap! it just happens you get performance!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Buhbuhj posted:

Yeah Cage was the only one that said it looked cool but suddenly everyone that "lowers" their car is just doing for that reason also. Unless you get coilovers it's pretty hard to find springs that keep your ride height stock.

edit: ps Cage I like your car
I like your steering wheel (and whole car). I wonder if they have adapters to put your type on my car. I always kind of hated that I have the same steering wheel as a 93 taurus.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

Cage posted:

I like your steering wheel (and whole car). I wonder if they have adapters to put your type on my car. I always kind of hated that I have the same steering wheel as a 93 taurus.

The issue is all the buttons. The s550 wheel has a billion buttons and you have to keep them attached to the steering wheel because of how the trim works. It sucks because I would have omitted the phone buttons if I could have.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Thats ok, on a new edge you just have cruise control buttons and I never use them.

Man, I sure wish I could drive my car. I dont think they make 315mm snow tires though. :smug:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I like the buttons on the steering wheel. Though I wish there was an actual play/pause button. Having the right side center be source change is just stupid.

4.5 months old. Just about ready to tick over 2k miles. I don't drive much. :/

ArthurDent
Sep 21, 2003

Today must be Thursday.

ilkhan posted:

I like the buttons on the steering wheel. Though I wish there was an actual play/pause button. Having the right side center be source change is just stupid.

4.5 months old. Just about ready to tick over 2k miles. I don't drive much. :/

Isn't that what the mute button does? That's what I use it for

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

ArthurDent posted:

Isn't that what the mute button does? That's what I use it for
IIRC the music keeps playing, so it keeps going through the playlist.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Cage posted:

Man, I sure wish I could drive my car. I dont think they make 315mm snow tires though. :smug:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=Winter+Carving+Edge+Run+Flat&partnum=135TR0WCEXLRFT
There's a selection of really expensive snow tires out there in the 300+ size range. Pretty much for crazy supercar owners.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Or regular scandanavians.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

kimbo305 posted:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=Winter+Carving+Edge+Run+Flat&partnum=135TR0WCEXLRFT
There's a selection of really expensive snow tires out there in the 300+ size range. Pretty much for crazy supercar owners.
Sure in a 20 inch size, I've got a 17 inch wheel. :shobon:

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
Cage, I know your kidding but for everyone else.... Seriously if you are gonna drive in snow you do NOT want to have wide or low profile tires.

You want thin tires that can cut thru snow. If you can get tires that are the same width as your stock tires or preferably a little less. Like going from a 265 to 255
you will be in a much better place! If you have a 20" wheel consider downgrading to a 18" steelie wheel, that way you can have more tire wall. that way if you slide, you hit the rubber and not bend the wheel.
its basically a little shock absorber for your wheels for lateral movements. it also is a lot more forgiving in bouncing over slushy/icy/snowy terrain.

Wide tires in the snow, is going to make your vehicle a machine that just smashes snow down into compact ice and you will slide all over the place.
low profile tires in the snow is just asking for damage to your wheels. there will be more potholes appearing as the plows go by, and more road damage happening because of ice damns spitting the road.

you want to get wide tires for summer or dry conditions. low profile tires + big wheels give you more control and handling. but there is a fine line to unsprung rotational weight.
super wide tires are good for grip off the line, but again if the the side wall is too low, you actually lose grip because there is no flex in the side wall, to launch your off the line.

The BEST winter tires you want to get are Bridgestone Blizzacks. FAQ is here. http://www.tirerack.com/winter/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=116

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Nokian Hakkapelliitas are the fuckin' way to go. I've had people switch from Blizzaks on my recommendation and they still thank me. It's got me through a snowstorm at -30C with no problems, which I would only even attempt in a Mustang because my parkade was flooding at the time. Value-wise, maybe a tougher choice.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I was checking out inventories for snow tires for my Mustang in 245/45-17 in Finland, where I used to live, and they are less expensive than similar stuff here. I guess the fact that you have to by law change into them during Fall cuts down the price, while usually everything car related is way cheaper here in the US.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Vahakyla posted:

I was checking out inventories for snow tires for my Mustang in 245/45-17 in Finland, where I used to live, and they are less expensive than similar stuff here. I guess the fact that you have to by law change into them during Fall cuts down the price, while usually everything car related is way cheaper here in the US.

Also Nokians are a domestic product instead of a niche import, so you Finns are totally lucky.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

PT6A posted:

Also Nokians are a domestic product instead of a niche import, so you Finns are totally lucky.

I've seen plenty of nokians marked "made in Russia"

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I remember when I was a volunteer firefighter in my hometown and I had my mom's Ford Mondeo station wagon with a Duratec V6 3.0 liter FWD. We had Hakkapeliitta Nokia winter tires on it and I used to floor that motherfucker to the fire station during calls so loving fast leaving a trail of flying snow on the country roads. Goddamn that was an amazing car, I wish I'd get one in the US, too.

...I had to google street view "drive" that route from my house to the station just to re-live the fun. I mean, it was really dangerous in hindsight and stupid from me, but vroom.

That car basically made me want a Mustang. If I could put a V8 onto a mondeo station wagon, I'd die.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jan 27, 2016

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Frank Dillinger posted:

I've seen plenty of nokians marked "made in Russia"

I didn't know that, but I'm guessing if there are any import duties for goods imported to Finland, the ones in Finland are made domestically.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

kalvick posted:

Cage, I know your kidding but for everyone else.... Seriously if you are gonna drive in snow you do NOT want to have wide or low profile tires.

You want thin tires that can cut thru snow. If you can get tires that are the same width as your stock tires or preferably a little less. Like going from a 265 to 255
you will be in a much better place! If you have a 20" wheel consider downgrading to a 18" steelie wheel, that way you can have more tire wall.

For normal wheels, yeah, the narrower the better. For when an 18" wheel won't clear your caliper, all you can hope for is to get the right tread compound and pattern on your tobaggan of a tire.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

kimbo305 posted:

For normal wheels, yeah, the narrower the better. For when an 18" wheel won't clear your caliper, all you can hope for is to get the right tread compound and pattern on your tobaggan of a tire.

your right, make sure the smaller wheel can cover the caliper or your SOL. On a 99-04 mustang with an 18" wheel you can get a 14" rotor/caliper combo.
but if you want to do a smaller wheel with the stock brakes, I think the smallest you can go is 16". (isnt that what the spare wheel is?).
You can get small wheels and larger sidewall tires and you will be golden.

heh, s***, i just realised my spare tire is 16 years old. its has to be a POS, now. when I get the car out in the spring, I guess I will chuck it out.

Dinurth
Aug 6, 2004

?

kalvick posted:

your right, make sure the smaller wheel can cover the caliper or your SOL. On a 99-04 mustang with an 18" wheel you can get a 14" rotor/caliper combo.
but if you want to do a smaller wheel with the stock brakes, I think the smallest you can go is 16". (isnt that what the spare wheel is?).
You can get small wheels and larger sidewall tires and you will be golden.

heh, s***, i just realised my spare tire is 16 years old. its has to be a POS, now. when I get the car out in the spring, I guess I will chuck it out.

Do you have a donut or a full size spare? I recently had to use my full size spare and other than being a little low on air it's in perfect condition (on an 01). I was kind of amazed as it's never been touched.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

Dinurth posted:

Do you have a donut or a full size spare? I recently had to use my full size spare and other than being a little low on air it's in perfect condition (on an 01). I was kind of amazed as it's never been touched.

I feel like Its been like 16 years since I last looked, I am pretty sure its not a full sized spare. (isnt it a 145/?/16) whatever it is, I am sure it wont cover my front brakes ;)

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Dinurth posted:

Spare doesn't get wet or bombarded with UV all day, plus its compound is more resilient. That's why.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Cage posted:

Thats ok, on a new edge you just have cruise control buttons and I never use them.

I'd trade cruise control for volume buttons in an instant.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

clutchpuck posted:

I'd trade cruise control for volume buttons in an instant.
I would have too when I was driving an '01.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

kimbo305 posted:

I think the whole narrow = better when it comes to snow tires is baloney. The logic is that the skinnier tire goes deeper into the snow, but that's just not correct. The 235s on my car car go just as deep in the snow as the 195s on my wife's car. Neither will touch pavement rolling over more than a few inches of fresh snow.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Narrow tires form a stronger 'arch' along the exterior surface of the tire. This helps push down into the soft snow, and scoop as it slips. Wide tires are softer in the middle and tend to indent away from the walls, doing a poorer job of carving at the snow, compacting it. The center of the tire which would be the point of maximum force is now weaker than the spots near the sidewall.

It depends on the tire to an extent. But obviously a tank tread doesn't have this problem. It's not inflated, though. In cold weather, the air is going to occupy less room, too, and won't heat up when the tire spins, which is half the reason a nice flat tire grips well (because the air has more area to press on to improve traction). Chains work better on wider tires.

It's like the sag in a long suspension bridge strung across a gap, vs an arched bridge across a shorter gap. And the sky is the snow. And God is the tire. And the snow is your driver's spirit.

:japan:

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
See, but my experience is those factors don't matter in the real world. It might compact the snow slightly more with a wider tires, but the tread on snow tires is really deep and the compound has a grabby texture to it, like it's made of little claws. So there's really good traction even on compacted snow.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

oRenj9 posted:

I think the whole narrow = better when it comes to snow tires is baloney. The logic is that the skinnier tire goes deeper into the snow, but that's just not correct. The 235s on my car car go just as deep in the snow as the 195s on my wife's car. Neither will touch pavement rolling over more than a few inches of fresh snow.

There's gotta be some effect. Why do rally cars have such skinny studded tires? They could get more studs if they ran wider tires.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

oRenj9 posted:

Its not really something that can be debated or called "baloney". You just won't be able to feel the difference of 40mm between two different cars with different curb weights.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

oRenj9 posted:

See, but my experience is those factors don't matter in the real world. It might compact the snow slightly more with a wider tires, but the tread on snow tires is really deep and the compound has a grabby texture to it, like it's made of little claws. So there's really good traction even on compacted snow.

Your anecdotal evidence is well...anecdotal.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Who doesn't have a F150 to use in the winter. Shouldn't have spent all your money on market adjustments.

BJA
Apr 11, 2006

It has to start somewhere
It has to start sometime
What better place than here
What better time than now
I have run these Dunlop WinterMaxx for the last 2 New England winters (with an 85 mile round trip commute) and they have been great.

http://www.townfairtire.com/brand/tires/dunlop/winter-maxx/245~45r19t/266029744/

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ford is killing Guard, DIB, and comp orange for 2017.

But Grabber Blue is coming back.Also a "Lightning" Blue and a "White Platinum Metallic". Because we sure do need another shade of white.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

ilkhan posted:

Ford is killing Guard, DIB, and comp orange for 2017.

Bastards.

Not that I'm in the market for a new mustang but if I was, guard or DIB would be my colors of choice.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
I would have gotten Grabber blue if it was available when I got my car. What a shame.

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

Buhbuhj posted:

I would have gotten Grabber blue if it was available when I got my car. What a shame.

Hell yeah I would have as well.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I always liked the Sonic Blue on the New Edge Mustangs, which is really close to DIB.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Buhbuhj posted:

Its too loud for me. I would have looked at it and then stuck with Guard.

Kinfolk Jones
Oct 31, 2010

Faaaaaaaaast

ilkhan posted:

Its too loud for me. I would have looked at it and then stuck with Guard.

Would have probably done the same. Was originally looking at Race Red, but after seeing it in person it was just too bright. Ended up between Ruby Red and DIB and went with the blue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Why would they kill Guard? It's beautiful.