Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

SeanBeansShako posted:

Wong is an rear end in a top hat. An rear end in a top hat with a lot of money.

I still find it hilarious even Amuro got caught in his assholery crossfire.

Also sensible, well-thought-out opinions. He's a total dick, but he's often right, and he's almost always got a smart point to make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Darth Walrus posted:

Also sensible, well-thought-out opinions. He's a total dick, but he's often right, and he's almost always got a smart point to make.

You can clealry do these things without beating up or playing head games with teenage pilots.

Looking at you too, Char you jerk. I hate Quess but that is still messed up, dumb joke aside.

Speaking of Char, what happened to his custom Zaku? did it get blown up or does some lucky junkyard owner have it on display with a sign and charging people money to take pictures with it?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
They probably painted it green again and gave it to some dude who got blown up

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
I like how at the start of Zeta there's a bunch of red mobile suits for a bit. It's like they got genre savvy for a bit and decided to see if the paintjob would triple its speed.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
The second episode of Gundam Thunderbolt is gonna be great

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Xinder posted:

I like how at the start of Zeta there's a bunch of red mobile suits for a bit. It's like they got genre savvy for a bit and decided to see if the paintjob would triple its speed.

I really like the look of the Rick Dias mobile suit.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

SeanBeansShako posted:

It's pretty neat, and I like how it looks like a fusion of Zeon and Federation MS design.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Tae posted:

I'm pretty sure Heero has a higher kill count with a Leo than the Wing Gundam, who he wastes a Buster Shot on like 3 grunts before leaving it in the middle of the battlefield like it was garbage.

For a super hardcore soldier, he was the least logical in military tactics apparently.

TBF the buster rifle for the Wing gundam has a limited number of shots. They don't pay too much attention to it usually but it's a legit enough reason to explain that one away.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

DamnGlitch posted:

TBF the buster rifle for the Wing gundam has a limited number of shots. They don't pay too much attention to it usually but it's a legit enough reason to explain that one away.

The vanilla buster rifle only has ammo for 3 shots, yeah.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

SeanBeansShako posted:

The only red Rick Dias is piloted by Quattro. I can't imagine what that's meant to imply.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Begemot posted:

The only red Rick Dias is piloted by Quattro. I can't imagine what that's meant to imply.

Hey I think that old Zeon ace used to pilot red mobile suits...

Hey you don't suppose Quattro is actually....nah, couldn't be. There's definitely no way Quattro is secretly Johnny Ridden.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Begemot posted:

Weren't there more red ones after he upgraded, or am I remembering that wrong?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Droyer posted:

Weren't there more red ones after he upgraded, or am I remembering that wrong?

Nah I remembered wrong, Quattro has the only red one at first but later they repaint them all to be red presumably because he makes it look cool.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

DamnGlitch posted:

I know it only has 3 shots and that's why he wastes it on a small number of grunts instead of using the fact that Gundams are literally invincible in the universe and just use his beam saber.

Instead, he gives up a machine that 99% will come back and get used against him but doesn't because HONOR by Treize's troops or something.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I thought Emma and then later Apolly use Quattro's old suit after he gets the Hyaku Shiki?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Begemot posted:

Nah I remembered wrong, Quattro has the only red one at first but later they repaint them all to be red presumably because he makes it look cool.

I like to think he negotiated this with lots of dramatic pauses and taking off and putting on of his shades.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So if I'm remembering right, Kira and Cagalli are super special Coordinator babies. Then Cagalli went on to be the daughter of the leader of Not Japan aka ORB.

Why does Kira have the Japanese name then and Cagalli has...um...whatever her name is?

It's not really important, I was just reading the posts about ORB being Japan and it struck me that everyone in ORB has Japanese names except her.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

So if I'm remembering right, Kira and Cagalli are super special Coordinator babies. Then Cagalli went on to be the daughter of the leader of Not Japan aka ORB.

Why does Kira have the Japanese name then and Cagalli has...um...whatever her name is?

It's not really important, I was just reading the posts about ORB being Japan and it struck me that everyone in ORB has Japanese names except her.

They are not.

Kira was literally raised in an artifical womb. Cagalli was not. Kira is a Coordinator and Cagalli isn't.

Anyway Cagalli's name is Japanese in origin. It's actually derived from the word kagaribi. Cagalli's just how they decided to write it because Gundam.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

WrightOfWay posted:

I thought Emma and then later Apolly use Quattro's old suit after he gets the Hyaku Shiki?

It's been a while, but I'm fairly certain you can see several red Rick Diases on screen at the same time.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Droyer posted:

It's been a while, but I'm fairly certain you can see several red Rick Diases on screen at the same time.

Yup. The entire Argama Rick Dias wing paint their suits red after a certain point.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

NikkolasKing posted:

I think the one and only time Kamille says violence isn't the answe is when Wong is nearly beating him to death. Kamille might punch people but the poo poo Wong does to him is just loving brutal.

Judau and Wong's meeting is one of the best moments in Gundam.

e: Ah, just saw who I was quoting. Shame they haven't dubbed it so you can see it.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Wing makes far more sense if you just assume that literally everyone is infected with rabies.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Everyone is Amuro's dad in Wing post Side 7 space venting.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

They are not.

Kira was literally raised in an artifical womb. Cagalli was not. Kira is a Coordinator and Cagalli isn't.

Anyway Cagalli's name is Japanese in origin. It's actually derived from the word kagaribi. Cagalli's just how they decided to write it because Gundam.

Doesn't Cagali go SEED Mode late the series too though, or am I misremembering?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Neddy Seagoon posted:

She does. SEED Mode is not locked to Coordinators, anyone can use it.

It's just used entirely by Coordinators apart from Cagalli because Coordinators are better I guess, SEED Mode was never really explained well.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

SEED mode isn't a Coordinator-only thing. Supposedly the reason that happened was to show that it wasn't just a Coordinator thing but it never got followed up on in Destiny and Destiny poo poo all over Cagalli so an explanation ain't happening.

Blaze Dragon posted:

She does. SEED Mode is not locked to Coordinators, anyone can use it.

It's just used entirely by Coordinators apart from Cagalli because Coordinators are better I guess, SEED Mode was never really explained well.

To be fair in the main series Cagalli is literally the only major named pilot who isn't a Coordinator, Newtype or Boosted Man/Extended so it ain't like anyone else had a chance!

God, that's sad.

Edit: Although I guess to be fair it isn't like major oldtype pilots are a dime a dozen in any Gundam show not specifically about regular people but still.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jan 28, 2016

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Were Rau and Mwu actually supposed to be Newtypes? I thought they only had that reactin to each other because Rau was a clone of Mwu's father or something like that. Basically they had no real psychic powers like actual Newtypes, they just had the ability to sense each other's presence because of that connection.

As I am learning, I remember few of the finer details of SEED. I thought Kira and Cagalli went through the same stuff because they were siblings and I remember this big soap opera reveal/drama involving Cagalli's parents appearing all remorseful and stuff. I dunno, I need to rewatch SEED it seems.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Were Rau and Mwu actually supposed to be Newtypes? I thought they only had that reactin to each other because Rau was a clone of Mwu's father or something like that. Basically they had no real psychic powers like actual Newtypes, they just had the ability to sense each other's presence because of that connection.

As I am learning, I remember few of the finer details of SEED. I thought Kira and Cagalli went through the same stuff because they were siblings and I remember this big soap opera reveal/drama involving Cagalli's parents appearing all remorseful and stuff. I dunno, I need to rewatch SEED it seems.

No, they are Newtypes. This was another 'confirmed by the director' thing. In addition to their bond Mu and Rau both have the precognition about attacks and the enhanced spatial awareness that allows them to more readily use remote weapons, as well as Newtype flashes. This is more heavily emphasized in Astray X where another of the Da Flagas (Prayer Reverie) shows up and basically walks his way down a checklist of Newtype tropes including viewing the black flames of rage that appeared in Tomino's novels. The games have danced around it but Mu has been a Newtype in more than one and in others has had a unique skill called Enhanced Spatial Awareness which is literally identical to the Newtype skill with a different name.

Also in the Newtype branch is Kira Yamato who displays the ability to sense both Rau and Mu, abnormal precognition and even a goddamn Newtype Flash. This is because of course he is. Debatable in the errata is Morgan Chevalier who does Newtype flash and sense things and pilots a Gunbarrel unit too but doesn't get a lot of screentime so it's more of just an implied thing.

Basically SEED has:
Coordinators - Genetically altered humans
Super/Ultimate Coordinators - Genetically altered humans who turned out exactly as their creator intended
SEED Mode - Some kind of ? powerup that is supposedly a future evolution of mankind or some poo poo
Newtypes - Psychics who are good are using remote weapons and can sense each other.

And Kira Yamato, of course, is stated or implied to be all of those things because insert wanking motion here.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jan 28, 2016

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Zeta Episode 36:

Jerid getting judo flipped off of that cliff was really funny. The rest of the episode after that was not funny :smith:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Dangerous Person posted:

Zeta Episode 36:

Jerid getting judo flipped off of that cliff was really funny. The rest of the episode after that was not funny :smith:

If Jerid was judo flipped off a thousand more mountains, it still wouldn't be punishment enough.

ImpAtom posted:

No, they are Newtypes. This was another 'confirmed by the director' thing. In addition to their bond Mu and Rau both have the precognition about attacks and the enhanced spatial awareness that allows them to more readily use remote weapons, as well as Newtype flashes. This is more heavily emphasized in Astray X where another of the Da Flagas (Prayer Reverie) shows up and basically walks his way down a checklist of Newtype tropes including viewing the black flames of rage that appeared in Tomino's novels. The games have danced around it but Mu has been a Newtype in more than one and in others has had a unique skill called Enhanced Spatial Awareness which is literally identical to the Newtype skill with a different name.

Also in the Newtype branch is Kira Yamato who displays the ability to sense both Rau and Mu, abnormal precognition and even a goddamn Newtype Flash. This is because of course he is. Debatable in the errata is Morgan Chevalier who does Newtype flash and sense things and pilots a Gunbarrel unit too but doesn't get a lot of screentime so it's more of just an implied thing.

Basically SEED has:
Coordinators - Genetically altered humans
Super/Ultimate Coordinators - Genetically altered humans who turned out exactly as their creator intended
SEED Mode - Some kind of ? powerup that is supposedly a future evolution of mankind or some poo poo
Newtypes - Psychics who are good are using remote weapons and can sense each other.

And Kira Yamato, of course, is stated or implied to be all of those things because insert wanking motion here.

Hm, so is this how Rau pretended to be a Coordinator? Psychic power substituting for genetic abilities?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

SEED mode isn't a Coordinator-only thing. Supposedly the reason that happened was to show that it wasn't just a Coordinator thing but it never got followed up on in Destiny and Destiny poo poo all over Cagalli so an explanation ain't happening.

To be fair in the main series Cagalli is literally the only major named pilot who isn't a Coordinator, Newtype or Boosted Man/Extended so it ain't like anyone else had a chance!

God, that's sad.

Edit: Although I guess to be fair it isn't like major oldtype pilots are a dime a dozen in any Gundam show not specifically about regular people but still.

They are in G-Reco. Bellri is the only confirmed, definite awakened Newtype in that show.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

God, that's sad.

It's stupid, and I've talked about it before, but I still love that the Gundam ace pilot variation books mentioning the top scoring ace of the one year war was... Some Guy.

Didn't really play politics, tried to not be a dick. No newtype powers, no fancy melee tricks, not even a custom paint job on any of his suits. He's like, the Anti-Char.

I like to think he opened a roofing business after the war. Maybe got second place in a model train competition.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

It's stupid, and I've talked about it before, but I still love that the Gundam ace pilot variation books mentioning the top scoring ace of the one year war was... Some Guy.

Didn't really play politics, tried to not be a dick. No newtype powers, no fancy melee tricks, not even a custom paint job on any of his suits. He's like, the Anti-Char.

I like to think he opened a roofing business after the war. Maybe got second place in a model train competition.

Tenneth A. Jung on the Federation side and Breniff Oguz on the Zeon side, yeah. They both have hilariously inflated killcounts. In the case of both pilots they were basically snipers who killed everything in one shot (and Jung had the hilariously OP GM Sniper Custom).

Honestly though I'm pretty sure if you tallied up all the claimed kills from all the MSV pilots more MS would have been destroyed than actually existed. Both the Federation and Zeon have like a dozen aces with over a hundred kills each.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Tenneth A. Jung on the Federation side and Breniff Oguz on the Zeon side, yeah. They both have hilariously inflated killcounts. In the case of both pilots they were basically snipers who killed everything in one shot (and Jung had the hilariously OP GM Sniper Custom).

Honestly though I'm pretty sure if you tallied up all the claimed kills from all the MSV pilots more MS would have been destroyed than actually existed. Both the Federation and Zeon have like a dozen aces with over a hundred kills each.

Balls. Oggos, warships, and tanks counted too, I believe. That would explain a lot.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Srice posted:

It'd be neat if there was a fan production to recreate the Gaia Gear radio play in English

I can't see myself having the patience to "watch" a subbed version

Go to downsub or somewhere like that and get the subs extracted, it goes a lot faster. A cursory scan indicates that there aren't many, if any, places where two subs are up at the same time so it reads linearly.

And then listen to the soundtrack in the car or something.

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe
Finished Unicorn Gundam for the first time and it was great! I was pretty happy with everything. Someone explained it as Gundam with all the bullshit stripped away and that was a pretty accurate description. Something about the fidelity of the visuals let me finally click with the newtype-magic scenes and not find them strange. Some info on who Full Frontal was would have been nice.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

unpurposed posted:

Some info on who Full Frontal was would have been nice.

The show outright tells you at one point, but it won't make sense unless you've at least seen Char's Counterattack.

Full Frontal is a cyber-newtype clone of Char made from the residual memories left in the Nightingale's psycommu system after Char's death during the Axis Shock, created so that the Sleeves would have someone to lead their movement because they felt Mineva wasn't strong enough. He has a chunk of Char's memories but a different personality and was "raised" to believe that it's his responsibility to speak for all spacenoids.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Or, conversely: Full Frontal sucks balls because he's a poser baby rear end.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!
I have a laundry list of issues with Unicorn, but until it went full retard in the last episode it was an enjoyable series.

Now if only Torrington didn't make all of the feds brain-dead jobbers besides Kobe Byarlant. Bandai/Sunrise still haven't realised that if they want GMs to sell, they have to let them actually do something besides be punching bags.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Shinjobi posted:

Or, conversely: Full Frontal sucks balls because he's a poser baby rear end.

I like how that falls in line with the Neo Zeong. Just like Full Frontal it tries to be big and imposing, but all that power winds up just being for show compared to what it accomplishes.