Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BitterAvatar posted:

So is the boss of the Blood Lobster mission just designed to be a giant gently caress you?

He constantly does gravity and beam damage, has a retarded number of hp, and eventually does a thermal AoE that always one-shots my party.

Grinding tickets for days to actually get the appropriate mods to fight this guy is dumb as poo poo. Is there any non-lovely way to actually fight this guy?

Scout Console, hire some Level 60 guys with Blossom Dance. Chances are it's the broken obscenely-powerful build and they'll gently caress him up in about two seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Go get the best Phoenix you can. FN Site 406 in Sylvanium has Guardian Purges who drop good ones but otherwise just the best you can get. Also get a G Buster. (Same place.)

Get as many insect-killer XX augments for your Skell as you can. Also try to get at least one or two melee accuracy augments. Stick them all on your Skell.

Go to the giant flower in Divine Roost in Noctilum. You'll find a level 90 guy named Joker inside and a bunch of lesser enemies.

Spam Phoenix, hit Joker with G-Buster, repeat until dead.

If you can't survive then get more insect killer augments or more accuracy. You should be able to 1 or 2 shot him even with a level 30 Skell and level 30 weapons. (I did.)

For lv 30 skells, go to the Prone base south of Hilal Meadow (southernmost probe site). The Puges there drop lv 30 Phoenixes and G-Busters. There's two that spawn at the entrances to the two towers right next to the probe site.

For the lv 50 equipment there's a small Prone camp in northern Sylvalum on a cliffside west of the entrance to Cauldros. A lot of Puges there in close proximity (easy targets for Phoenix) and I found it more convenient than Badr Basin. Also no tyrants or higher level enemies at that altitude.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Does constantly declining a quest and then going back into the initial conversation to build affinity with the agreeing/disagreeing party member stack? Basically can I decline and keep going until I hit 5 hearts?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Louisgod posted:

Does constantly declining a quest and then going back into the initial conversation to build affinity with the agreeing/disagreeing party member stack? Basically can I decline and keep going until I hit 5 hearts?

I... have no idea but let us know because that would be a hilarious exploit if so.

I mean if you keep getting hearts then it should keep stacking theoretically.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

ImpAtom posted:

I... have no idea but let us know because that would be a hilarious exploit if so.

I mean if you keep getting hearts then it should keep stacking theoretically.

I.. think it continues to build but I can't really tell. It's Frye so it's possible his heart is only won over with alcohol.

More important question, why do the Prone women sound like they were voiced by a woman speaking into a toy Darth Vader mask

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

In the original Xenoblade Chronicles, party members would chime in and you'd get affinity with them for talking about quests. But if you declined, they'd get a little pissed and you'd visibly lose that affinity. If they overlooked that in XCX that would be hilarious.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

So what makes the Lailah Queen so good at fighting Gradivus compared to the other Lv 60 Skells?

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Anyone else not able to get the weather to change? I've tried changing the time, fast traveling, completing a mission, changing regions, powering on and off and the weather won't change from clear.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Mind_Taker posted:

Anyone else not able to get the weather to change? I've tried changing the time, fast traveling, completing a mission, changing regions, powering on and off and the weather won't change from clear.

The weather in Primordia changes super rarely, is that where you're trying it? I saw it rain maybe a handful of times.

I'm replaying Knights of the Old Republic at the moment it it just makes me think that in a few months time I'll have forgotten nearly every character in Xenoblade X but I remember the KOTOR ones about 12 years later. I think I'll remember the Xenoblade characters when as much time has passed too. What a missed opportunity.
I know - I guess that's not what this game is 'for' - it's still a shame.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

The weather won't change in any region. It used to change often in Oblivia, for instance, but I can't for the life of me get it to change at all any more.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

I haven't figured out how to reliably generate new weather (if you can), so I just go do other stuff and pop back in every few minutes.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Taear posted:

The weather in Primordia changes super rarely, is that where you're trying it? I saw it rain maybe a handful of times.

I'm replaying Knights of the Old Republic at the moment it it just makes me think that in a few months time I'll have forgotten nearly every character in Xenoblade X but I remember the KOTOR ones about 12 years later. I think I'll remember the Xenoblade characters when as much time has passed too. What a missed opportunity.
I know - I guess that's not what this game is 'for' - it's still a shame.
I can barely remember defining character traits in XCX a month and a half later but give me the map and I can tell you where just about all of them are standing.

many johnnys posted:

I haven't figured out how to reliably generate new weather (if you can), so I just go do other stuff and pop back in every few minutes.
Weather can be rerolled by fast travelling to a point or returning to your skells, or rocking across a region boundary. It is sometimes limited by sub region and time of day.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

zedprime posted:

Weather can be rerolled by fast travelling to a point or returning to your skells, or rocking across a region boundary. It is sometimes limited by sub region and time of day.

I've done just this when oblivia is having its damaging thunderstorms, and no amount of fast-travelling would re-roll it to Not Thunder. It just took time.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

many johnnys posted:

I've done just this when oblivia is having its damaging thunderstorms, and no amount of fast-travelling would re-roll it to Not Thunder. It just took time.

I think it only does that if you don't fast travel to that area. Did you fast travel somewhere else and then manually get there yourself?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

many johnnys posted:

Maybe you got unlucky and kept rolling thunderstorm? I think there's a time of day or something where its really likely to thunderstorm, but even if not there's usually only 3 or 4 choices of weather and getting the same 2,3,5,10 times in a row isn't as unlikely as it seems when you're one of hundreds of thousands of players.

The time stuff with weather is really dumb when if you start doing tyrants, like there's a 2 hour period around dawn that I think is the only time you can get energy mist in Cauldros.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

zedprime posted:

The time stuff with weather is really dumb when if you start doing tyrants, like there's a 2 hour period around dawn that I think is the only time you can get energy mist in Cauldros.

If there are any Sylvalum tyrants that require mist I can't imagine how you'd ever find them since it essentially makes you blind.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Taear posted:

If there are any Sylvalum tyrants that require mist I can't imagine how you'd ever find them since it essentially makes you blind.
That's spores. I think there is one or two but you are already certifiably nuts if you want to 100% tyrants.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Holy poo poo is time attack annoying at times. Vita drops three things. One of these, the most common, doesn't even seem to have a use. The rarest is used exclusively for making the Ares 90, so unless you want to make more than one you only need four. Meanwhile the uncommon drop is used in all the skell superweapon recipes, so you need like two hundred to make all of the highest level versions, or a dozen each for any you really want.

I have built two level 60 superweapons. I have built one Ares 90. I still have a dozen of the rarest material, and only one of the uncommon one. gently caress.

E: So what are the various special longswords? I know about Receding Rust from Lugalbanda, and later found out about Galaxy Chief (gravity based) from Dadaan, and just stumbled into Blood Dance, a low damage Ether one with one second auto attacks that give you like 550 TP from Stola, the Unchained in Sylvalum. There must be others, but I haven't exactly been hunting them all down.

I also want to reiterate: gently caress Xerns. Fought the level 82 tyrant off of Caulderos trying to get reflect augs for my skell, managed to beat the thing despite its crazy power and gimmicks, and only got level 50 skell armor. Of course thats the easiest of the superbosses that drop this stuff to actually beat...

Now looking at it, I could make a photon saber build that reflects five elements at all times with just what I've got so far. The only damage reflect aug I don't have for on foot is Gravity, which seems like it'll be a massive pain to actually get.

Ashsaber fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jan 29, 2016

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Samus wonders if she'll ever find her helmet...

has anyone seen a helmet that looks at all similar to Samus's?

Rama of Ra
Sep 7, 2005
~Where's Sitka? Right about the middle of your thumb.~
My entire system of value has been changed to 'well, that's only "X" amount of pizzas, it's cool', cause gently caress it.

Ma-non just transvaluating all the values up in this hizzle.

Rama of Ra
Sep 7, 2005
~Where's Sitka? Right about the middle of your thumb.~
Weather talk: it's just a re-roll every fast travel. 50:50:90

Also: just met Blood Lobster. I was balls out laughing for the whole cutscene but after work my completionist kicked in an now he is my new Most-Hated-Tyrant.

13/99 wheeeeeeeee

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rama of Ra posted:

Weather talk: it's just a re-roll every fast travel. 50:50:90

Also: just met Blood Lobster. I was balls out laughing for the whole cutscene but after work my completionist kicked in an now he is my new Most-Hated-Tyrant.

13/99 wheeeeeeeee

Leave collecting them til you have a flying Skell. Even if you don't use a guide, it's much easier because of the Skell's larger collectibles pickup radius.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

What should I do now that I have access to Skells?

So far I've been unable to buy more skells because they have a minimum required level. It's not too far off from my party though so I guess I could grind to 30.

I've outfitted the starting skell with a few weapons. Well, a weapon in each possible slot. Got a little more armor too.

Someone said that it should be a priority to get a skell for each member of the group. True? Any advice for what to buy or do once I hit 30?

Also, what's the best way to stagger or topple people? On foot, I've been playing Elma so Shadow Strike is pretty available. If I'm piloting a skell, though, then I don't have access to it. I reviewed all of Avatar's possible moves, and as far as I can see, no class line can stagger? Lin can't stagger either? Like, it's supposed to go Stagger > Bind or Stagger > Topple, how do you make this happen without Elma's Shadow Strike?

many johnnys fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jan 29, 2016

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

.TakaM posted:

Samus wonders if she'll ever find her helmet...

has anyone seen a helmet that looks at all similar to Samus's?

Is that an ent with giant googly eyes on the right

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Go right for the Amdusias. Its starting gear is great, and it buffs melee damage. It's a walking melee tank.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

many johnnys posted:

What should I do now that I have access to Skells?

So far I've been unable to buy more skells because they have a minimum required level. It's not too far off from my party though so I guess I could grind to 30.

I've outfitted the starting skell with a few weapons. Well, a weapon in each possible slot. Got a little more armor too.

Someone said that it should be a priority to get a skell for each member of the group. True? Any advice for what to buy or do once I hit 30?

Also, what's the best way to stagger or topple people? On foot, I've been playing Elma so Shadow Strike is pretty available. If I'm piloting a skell, though, then I don't have access to it. I reviewed all of Avatar's possible moves, and as far as I can see, no class line can stagger? Lin can't stagger either? Like, it's supposed to go Stagger > Bind or Stagger > Topple, how do you make this happen without Elma's Shadow Strike?

You can use Shadow Strike as the MC once you've beaten Elma's first affinity quest. It's a Dual Sword art, so you won't get to use it unless you're using those weapons. There are quite a few arts that can skip right to Topple though The Galactic Knight art Starlight Kick topples right away, as does Lin's Wild Down.

As for Skell weapons that can stagger, get yourself a G-Buster. You can buy a level 30 one in the shop and it's a back weapon. It's strong as poo poo and staggers as well.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

ChaosArgate posted:

You can use Shadow Strike as the MC once you've beaten Elma's first affinity quest. It's a Dual Sword art, so you won't get to use it unless you're using those weapons. There are quite a few arts that can skip right to Topple though The Galactic Knight art Starlight Kick topples right away, as does Lin's Wild Down.

As for Skell weapons that can stagger, get yourself a G-Buster. You can buy a level 30 one in the shop and it's a back weapon. It's strong as poo poo and staggers as well.

Thanks, this will help!

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

With a level 50 Skell I'm really feeling it. I thought enemy exploit augments were a scam, but they're actually great for the material cost. It feels pretty cool to completely slaughter a prone colony with one phoenix blast. I still can't gently caress with that drat lava walker tyrant though.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I'm seriously enjoying exploring in this game. Last night I swam across the ocean to get to Sylvalum, narrowly avoiding the Prone hanging out on the islands. I managed to sneak in and excavate some white whale parts on the way though, which owned. I guess I'll get into Oblivia next? I still haven't started Chapter 4 lol

I'm at Mechanical lv3, Bio lv1, Archeo lv2. Gotta get all them probes!!!

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I'm seriously enjoying exploring in this game. Last night I swam across the ocean to get to Sylvalum, narrowly avoiding the Prone hanging out on the islands. I managed to sneak in and excavate some white whale parts on the way though, which owned. I guess I'll get into Oblivia next? I still haven't started Chapter 4 lol

I'm at Mechanical lv3, Bio lv1, Archeo lv2. Gotta get all them probes!!!

I did not rush to Skell/Flight but when I got there I wished I had. I don't know if it's the best way to go though. The game may benefit from an easy pace.

Even so, about 20 hours of my play time was pointlessly jumping into cliff walls trying to climb to probe spots. I'd recommend focusing on affinity quests and story and getting the easy probes until you finish chapter 9. Stunt exploration will feel like a huge waste if you spend too much time on it.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
My vote is to mindlessly try to jump on the cliffs to get to higher locations for as long as you want as it's not only super fun but really satisfying jumping to a place that feels you shouldn't be on top of. Getting a Skell adds to the fun since you're still kinda limited to where you can jump (especially in Oblivia) and eventually getting flight takes the fun out of out of exploring UNLESS all you have left to explore are places you can only get to with flight.

It was really cool to discover the Nopon bridge village via the twisted tree in Notcilum, or the horse lake sanctum on top of the cliffs of Sylvalum via the twisting path you access from the ground. Getting flight and discovering these places doesn't have nearly as much of an impact as hiking there yourself.

I'm 115 hours in and just got flight.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Moxie posted:

With a level 50 Skell I'm really feeling it. I thought enemy exploit augments were a scam, but they're actually great for the material cost. It feels pretty cool to completely slaughter a prone colony with one phoenix blast. I still can't gently caress with that drat lava walker tyrant though.

That guy is a butthead. I ended up overloading on slayer augments plus terrain damage null ones to overdrive him after he busted my skells up & still just barely got through it

I mean you can always leave it for later and come sit on him with an Ares, but I had some indigen nests that needed looting

Yakiniku Teishoku fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jan 29, 2016

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Ometeotl posted:

So what makes the Lailah Queen so good at fighting Gradivus compared to the other Lv 60 Skells?

Still looking for an answer to this. Someone suggested this and I'd like to know what makes it so good before I start investing reward tickets and drops into it.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

How do augments work, anyway? I have equipment with empty slots and I what I think are augments, how do I combine them like chocolate and peanut butter in a delicious Reese's Cup??

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

How do augments work, anyway? I have equipment with empty slots and I what I think are augments, how do I combine them like chocolate and peanut butter in a delicious Reese's Cup??

Press X when over the gear and you get the option to "Set Augments."

They stack.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

If you have empty slots, you can go into the Sub-Menu when equipping stuff (X button I think?) and there's an option to put stuff in those slots.

Also one of the vendors allows you to upgrade the level of your augments. It costs parts (enemy parts, ore, etc) and it'll go higher.

No idea if you can upgrade the "slot" augments, or if you can only upgrade the ones native to the weapon itself. Haven't tried.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Yeah I've upgraded the bonuses on gear, it owns.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
uh yeah
uh uh yeah
uh yeah yea yeah

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014

Pomp posted:

uh yeah
uh uh yeah
uh yeah yea yeah

UH~ YEAH~

UH~ YEAH~

UH~ YEAH~

UH~ UH~ UH~ UH~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Why does skell combat sometimes cut to a cockpit view where you can't see poo poo?

• Locked thread