Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gibberish
Sep 17, 2002

by R. Guyovich
Trump skips the debate and his pack of followers will only become more fervent that he's "not caving to the mainstream media" or something. More passionate and loyal than ever, they go to the polls in droves.

Trump goes to the debate because "America needs to hear my message" and more people go on his side because Trump shines when it comes to defending and flipping attacks and character assassination.

Either way, I'd bet Trump's numbers swell after this. Just my feeling, he's becoming a spin master.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gibberish
Sep 17, 2002

by R. Guyovich
And no I don't have any money on these markets because it's all tied up in IOWATRUMP.YES but I wish I had like 10 bucks in my account to throw at cheap TRUMPDEBATE.YES

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

The Trump debate market is good stuff. I'm no longer 100% sure he'll participate though so I'm considering selling the rest of my yeses.

I tried to bet on the Obama approval polls like you guys were talking about but am down on that so far, though.

Also, did Predictit just change their charts to candlesticks? Nice.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Shear Modulus posted:

The Trump debate market is good stuff. I'm no longer 100% sure he'll participate though so I'm considering selling the rest of my yeses.

I tried to bet on the Obama approval polls like you guys were talking about but am down on that so far, though.

Also, did Predictit just change their charts to candlesticks? Nice.

Don't bet on the approval polls, it's completely insane.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Trump is going on O'Reilly's show tonight on Fox. Hmmm

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

drat my hubris!!

I became so cocky and self aggrandizing after doing well early on, but my greed, lust, and egoism has taken its toll, robbing me of my winnings.

Despite having ostensibly rational strategies, time and time again I caved to the emotional highs and lows that chased the market prices.

How foolish of me to boast with pride about predicting the future! I know the truth is that only The Lord God knows what will be, and the Lord does not take kindly to such pride, arrogance, greed, and lust for money.

Once again, as always, my sin has robbed me of my blessings
Shame! Shame!!

Prime Sinister
Mar 23, 2005

tony scare
I just got in big on Trump Debate - Yes. :shrug:

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Also in case anyone wasn't aware of this: whenever you put in a price to buy or sell predictIt will automatically use that price as a limit and buy/sell any better deals should one come up once you actually execute the trade. The reason I'm pointing this out is because you can take advantage of this if you're ever caught in a frenzy and need to get in or out of a market fast. Instead of chasing the price by guessing where it is and hoping it'll still be there once you execute, simply put your purchase price at .99 if buying or .01 if selling and PI will automatically execute on whatever the best deal is.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Commie NedFlanders posted:

drat my hubris!!

I became so cocky and self aggrandizing after doing well early on, but my greed, lust, and egoism has taken its toll, robbing me of my winnings.

Despite having ostensibly rational strategies, time and time again I caved to the emotional highs and lows that chased the market prices.

How foolish of me to boast with pride about predicting the future! I know the truth is that only The Lord God knows what will be, and the Lord does not take kindly to such pride, arrogance, greed, and lust for money.

Once again, as always, my sin has robbed me of my blessings
Shame! Shame!!

lol what happened

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Vox Nihili posted:

Glad I sold off all my NOs yesterday!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I completely divested myself from Iowa in order to play in the mud yesterday and it worked out. I just don't know if I want to buy back in; Cruz/Trump and Sanders/Clinton are so loving close I really can't guess which way it'll shake out.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Trump Debate is going to get 150,000 transactions over two days. What was Biden's volume at his peak?

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Also if you really think Trump is going to be in the debate the speaking time market is the lower risk one to invest in. Trump shares are 8-10c right now and will rocket back up if he decides to go through with the debate.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Aliquid posted:

Trump Debate is going to get 150,000 transactions over two days. What was Biden's volume at his peak?

I think in the final frenzied crescendo it was about 140,000 transactions per day.

drat, I think the website crashed - Edit: It came back

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin

Zeta Taskforce posted:

I think in the final frenzied crescendo it was about 140,000 transactions per day.

drat, I think the website crashed
You might be right, but I just checked and it's back.

Vox Nihili posted:

I'm still holding 500+ YES. Let's do this.

A Time To Chill
Feb 26, 2007

How long do we think the "will Trump show up" market remain volatile? I've gotten in on YES at 10-20c and sold at ~30c a few times now. How much longer do you think I'll be able to do this?

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin

A Time To Chill posted:

How long do we think the "will Trump show up" market remain volatile? I've gotten in on YES at 10-20c and sold at ~30c a few times now. How much longer do you think I'll be able to do this?
You can probably count the time on both hands. The fun will last through today, but if he decides to do the debate it probably needs to be settled later tonight or very early tomorrow. If only for logistics of accommodating him as a participant.

Maybe it already is, behind the scenes?

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
I want to know who the moron was who bought ~20 shares of TRUMP.DEBATE.YES at $.99 right when the market opened

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin
New market: what will the average viewership be for the Fox News debate?

Another bet that hinges on Trump's whims.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Necc0 posted:

I want to know who the moron was who bought ~20 shares of TRUMP.DEBATE.YES at $.99 right when the market opened

Me, sort of. I was the moron that bought 10 shares at 90. I've more than made it back by buying 100 share blocks in the teens and low 20s and selling them in the upper 20's.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

If I have a large sell order at one price and I see a tiny amount of that order sold, does that mean the rest of the shares are "first in line" to be sold at that price?

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Aliquid posted:

If I have a large sell order at one price and I see a tiny amount of that order sold, does that mean the rest of the shares are "first in line" to be sold at that price?

Yes

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
I realllllly don't think you guys need to hang onto those YESes any longer:

https://twitter.com/risetoflyy/status/692422882253783040

edit: but the more I look at it, I can't find any better sources. It's all over twitter, but where's the primary here

pathetic little tramp has issued a correction as of 20:12 on Jan 27, 2016

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Aliquid posted:

Yep.

e: Badly beaten because I didn’t refresh.

A couple of tricks regarding priority: if you add a new sell order and you don’t have enough unlisted shares to cover it, PredictIt will cancel as much of your earliest‐listed shares as it takes to free them up.

You can use this if you, for example, want to lessen the number of shares you have listed at a price, but don’t want to lose priority, create a dummy listing at $0.99 for the number of shares you want to cancel, then cancel the $0.99 listing.

Consider placing large orders in multiple parts. This lets you cancel some but not all of them and keep priority on the remainder, and unlike the first trick, it works for buy offers.

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 20:18 on Jan 27, 2016

Prime Sinister
Mar 23, 2005

tony scare

pathetic little tramp posted:

edit: but the more I look at it, I can't find any better sources. It's all over twitter, but where's the primary here

I was set on holding my Yes's, but I saw this and immediately sold at a small profit.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Prime Sinister posted:

I was set on holding my Yes's, but I saw this and immediately sold at a small profit.

Because of a tweet by Ann Coulter and Scott Walker, posted on Freep?

(I agree tho, he ain't showing at the debate)

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Oh, he'll be there. https://www.donaldjtrump.com/schedule

He hasn't even made a sincere effort to pencil in the basics for his supposed Thursday event. Thursday is tomorrow, in case anyone had forgotten.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

pathetic little tramp posted:

lol freerepublic

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Take it from the guy who was the most right about Biden: Trump will not be at the debate.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

By my calculations, Rand will get a minimum of 19,000 votes. If turnout is 135K, this is 14%. 126K turnout and this is 15%.

This assumes Rand is able to get his 10K college kids to caucus (which I believe is likelier to happen than not to happen - Ron got 9K college kid votes when college was not in session; this time there will literally be caucuses occurring in college dorms). And this assumes Rand is able to pick up half the Ron Paul 2012 voters age 30+ (he had 17K in 2012).

Rand's ground game is really good, maybe the best. He has over 1000 precinct captains in over 2/3s of the 1600+ precincts. These aren't just voters, these are advocates of the campaign who will be caucusing, bringing family and friends to caucus and encouraging undecided or lower polling supporters to switch to Rand. If each of his Captains were able to bring 5 votes to their caucus, that's equal to a whole 5% of the total vote. This is a huge number.

On top of all of this, Rand's volunteers will be making over 1 million calls into Iowa voters households. (There are only 3 Million voters in the state). And these aren't paid unenthusiastic staff, these are educated Rand supporters who care enough about him and his policies to engage the voters over the phones or at their doors.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Aliquid posted:

By my calculations, Rand will get a minimum of 19,000 votes. If turnout is 135K, this is 14%. 126K turnout and this is 15%.

This assumes Rand is able to get his 10K college kids to caucus (which I believe is likelier to happen than not to happen - Ron got 9K college kid votes when college was not in session; this time there will literally be caucuses occurring in college dorms). And this assumes Rand is able to pick up half the Ron Paul 2012 voters age 30+ (he had 17K in 2012).

Rand's ground game is really good, maybe the best. He has over 1000 precinct captains in over 2/3s of the 1600+ precincts. These aren't just voters, these are advocates of the campaign who will be caucusing, bringing family and friends to caucus and encouraging undecided or lower polling supporters to switch to Rand. If each of his Captains were able to bring 5 votes to their caucus, that's equal to a whole 5% of the total vote. This is a huge number.

On top of all of this, Rand's volunteers will be making over 1 million calls into Iowa voters households. (There are only 3 Million voters in the state). And these aren't paid unenthusiastic staff, these are educated Rand supporters who care enough about him and his policies to engage the voters over the phones or at their doors.

It's amazing that these people are still bouncing around. Maybe they won't be as common on the site after they lose all their money on 2/1/16, though.

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin
Rand 2nd in Iowa is this week's featured penny stock.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Jewel Repetition posted:

Take it from the guy who was the most right about Biden: Trump will not be at the debate.

Moment. Of. Triumph.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Vox you need to set up a Disqus avatar so I can spot you more easily in the comments. Gotta establish that brand, brah. Thnx :h:

Gibberish
Sep 17, 2002

by R. Guyovich
the gently caress?

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Gibberish posted:

the gently caress?

:siren: SELL SELL SELL :siren:

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Gibberish posted:

the gently caress?

It's not proof that he made it on the Trump debate participation market, that said: drat!

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin

Zeta Taskforce posted:

It's not proof that he made it on the Trump debate participation market, that said: drat!
Yeah, he wouldn't have been able to anyway. Lowest sale price was around 10-cents and if he maxed out on YES his gains as of right now ($0.24) would only amount to (quick math) around $900.

Could be 'shopped...it's that outrageous.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Zeta Taskforce posted:

It's not proof of anything at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Gibberish posted:

the gently caress?

This pisses me off!!!!!

• Locked thread