Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

H110Hawk posted:

I bought a little baggy of mixed sizes for probably half this much at home depot. I'm 99% sure sinister was referring to a "wire nut."

http://www.amazon.com/158-Piece-Wire-Connector-Assortment/dp/B009377CQQ/

Nope. Leperflesh was right. Wire nuts are for covering twisted wires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
If kid sinister was referring to a wire nut, he would have said "wire nut". A Wago 773 is exactly the sort of thing he was referring to (except that you should buy the 2 conductor version for straight extensions).

edit: oops, too slow.

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you

Massasoit posted:

The people in the apartment above me had a door handle that was put in backwards by the contractor. The door wouldn't close unless you turned the handle because the flat part of the latch would hit the doorframe.
Even better, this means that when the door is closed and locked you can just push it open from the outside.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Captain Cool posted:

Even better, this means that when the door is closed and locked you can just push it open from the outside.

Well the lock was also on the outside of the room.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Massasoit posted:

Well the lock was also on the outside of the room.
At least the contractor didn't lock them inside and then left...

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

kid sinister posted:

Edited it out since it's on a previous page. The shame is unbearable.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

NancyPants posted:

Paper factory converted into loft apartments. The 2x10s for the beams are bolted together every two feet or so which hopefully counteracts the fact that many of them are split lengthwise in places.

It's like someone cut all the joists too short by an inch or so.

This isn't in Oakland, is it? I think I've mentioned it here before, but I used to live in a paper-factory-turned-apartment there. Pictures of the crappy construction in that place could easily fill their own thread, if I had any. My "favorite" feature was the knotholes in the floorboards that were covered with tin can lids and painted over in the same awful beige as everything else there. Except the kitchen. The kitchen had black and white linoleum tile flooring, and some of the pipes running through it were painted neon green like some kind of dystopian Mario level. Also, the floor was lower than the top of the windows in the unit below us by about two feet.

My unit isn't pictured here, but you get the idea. Some of these actually look a bit nicer than my old place. http://www.petersonprop.com/47thAveStudios.html

I also lived in a similarly awful loft in Berkeley for a bit that used to be warehouse space. Still had the roll-up gate and everything, except a previous tenant had cut part of it out and installed a regular door in it. :confuoot:

nota
Dec 9, 2013

Bees on Wheat posted:

My unit isn't pictured here, but you get the idea. Some of these actually look a bit nicer than my old place. http://www.petersonprop.com/47thAveStudios.html

From the thumbnails it looks like nice lofts with great natural light. Then you open the pictures and it looks like an urban exploration album (with less debris).

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Heating/cooling those lovely warehouses must cost a fortune. Notice an industrial gas furnace hanging on the ceiling, ha!

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Nitrox posted:

Heating/cooling those lovely warehouses must cost a fortune. Notice an industrial gas furnace hanging on the ceiling, ha!

It is located in a place where the year round temperature is between 40 and 80 degrees f. Heaven forbid they might have to toss on a sweater.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Don't worry you can afford the bills as you are only paying $1850/month!

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Bees on Wheat posted:

This isn't in Oakland, is it? I think I've mentioned it here before, but I used to live in a paper-factory-turned-apartment there. Pictures of the crappy construction in that place could easily fill their own thread, if I had any. My "favorite" feature was the knotholes in the floorboards that were covered with tin can lids and painted over in the same awful beige as everything else there. Except the kitchen. The kitchen had black and white linoleum tile flooring, and some of the pipes running through it were painted neon green like some kind of dystopian Mario level. Also, the floor was lower than the top of the windows in the unit below us by about two feet.

I also lived in a similarly awful loft in Berkeley for a bit that used to be warehouse space. Still had the roll-up gate and everything, except a previous tenant had cut part of it out and installed a regular door in it. :confuoot:

Nope, Midwest. I shouldn't complain too much, it is actually a huge space, albeit a little awkwardly laid out, for what we're paying for.

The walls are of course like tissue paper, so I can hear when my neighbors sneeze, eat a bag of chips, or have their dysfunctional relationship. On game night I think if they read me the dice I could easily play through the wall with them, but I don't want to because I hate them.

Our upstairs neighbor's AC condensate was leaking into our apartment over the course of a few days this past summer and soaked the carpet surrounding our little utility closet. The office manager did not know how to operate a wet vac or how to use it on carpet which was very amusing to me.

The "bedroom" wall (it is a loft, after all):

Learned the hard way not to lean on that sucker!

The ugliest vinyl tile I have ever seen, but at least it's properly installed in the kitchen:

Unfortunately can't say the same for the bathroom:

It's a little tough to see, but that foremost tile in the same column as the bubbly ones has already been replaced once. The others were like that at the time and I don't know why he did it as he did (actually yes I do), but I was tired of dealing with it so there you go. There was a lot of give to the subfloor at the time (still is), and obviously grout is both flexible and holds really well, so he just slapped in another tile and grouted around it. Yes, the grout has already popped back out.

None of it is "going to kill me" stuff, and it's not nearly as bad as that Oakland loft. That is a really fugly space. Its just a lot of half-assed things that could be done a lot better by someone who knows what they are doing, I think.

Oh yeah the only insulation in our outside wall is bats.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

CopperHound posted:

It is located in a place where the year round temperature is between 40 and 80 degrees f. Heaven forbid they might have to toss on a sweater.

It climbed up to 40° in Philly and I'm out in a t-shirt, goddamn.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Nitrox posted:

It climbed up to 40° in Philly and I'm out in a t-shirt, goddamn.

Living near Philly and spending as much time in SF for work as I do I find it hilarious to see what people wear in the morning when it's "cold" (i.e. 52). They're in winter jackets, hats and scarves. And complain they they are melting when it goes over 80.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Motronic posted:

Living near Philly and spending as much time in SF for work as I do I find it hilarious to see what people wear in the morning when it's "cold" (i.e. 52). They're in winter jackets, hats and scarves. And complain they they are melting when it goes over 80.

I took a trip from Chicago to Southern California last Christmas, and my wife pointed out the really weird sweater + shorts + ugg boots combo everybody seemed to be wearing.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Safety Dance posted:

I took a trip from Chicago to Southern California last Christmas, and my wife pointed out the really weird sweater + shorts + ugg boots combo everybody seemed to be wearing.

Was stuck in LA from Friday to Monday because of Snowpocalypse and cancelled flights. Can confirm this is still going on.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

NancyPants posted:

Nope, Midwest. I shouldn't complain too much, it is actually a huge space, albeit a little awkwardly laid out, for what we're paying for.

The walls are of course like tissue paper, so I can hear when my neighbors sneeze, eat a bag of chips, or have their dysfunctional relationship. On game night I think if they read me the dice I could easily play through the wall with them, but I don't want to because I hate them.

Our upstairs neighbor's AC condensate was leaking into our apartment over the course of a few days this past summer and soaked the carpet surrounding our little utility closet. The office manager did not know how to operate a wet vac or how to use it on carpet which was very amusing to me.

The "bedroom" wall (it is a loft, after all):

Learned the hard way not to lean on that sucker!

The ugliest vinyl tile I have ever seen, but at least it's properly installed in the kitchen:

Unfortunately can't say the same for the bathroom:

It's a little tough to see, but that foremost tile in the same column as the bubbly ones has already been replaced once. The others were like that at the time and I don't know why he did it as he did (actually yes I do), but I was tired of dealing with it so there you go. There was a lot of give to the subfloor at the time (still is), and obviously grout is both flexible and holds really well, so he just slapped in another tile and grouted around it. Yes, the grout has already popped back out.

None of it is "going to kill me" stuff, and it's not nearly as bad as that Oakland loft. That is a really fugly space. Its just a lot of half-assed things that could be done a lot better by someone who knows what they are doing, I think.

Oh yeah the only insulation in our outside wall is bats.

Adhesive vinyl tile in a bathroom or other frequently-wet space is always a construction fail.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

kid sinister posted:

Just outta curiosity, which one would you recommend for Joe homeowner to use around the house? I've been using wire nuts because I read that backstabbed receptacles tend to loosen up over time because of thermal expansion/contraction (and indeed have noticed that replacing the backstabbed receptacles in my own house), and it seemed that the push in connectors were a similar mechanism... I take it that's not a relevant concern with these newer connectors? If that's the case, is there a compelling reason to use one or the other? ...TIA

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
The big downside of the push in connectors like that is that they're significantly more difficult to disassemble. They are more reliable than back stab outlets.

If you're willing to spend a bit extra to get the good poo poo, go for Wago 221 lever nuts.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Zhentar posted:

The big downside of the push in connectors like that is that they're significantly more difficult to disassemble. They are more reliable than back stab outlets.

If you're willing to spend a bit extra to get the good poo poo, go for Wago 221 lever nuts.

I loving LOVE LEVER NUTS

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

OSU_Matthew posted:

Just outta curiosity, which one would you recommend for Joe homeowner to use around the house? I've been using wire nuts because I read that backstabbed receptacles tend to loosen up over time because of thermal expansion/contraction (and indeed have noticed that replacing the backstabbed receptacles in my own house), and it seemed that the push in connectors were a similar mechanism... I take it that's not a relevant concern with these newer connectors? If that's the case, is there a compelling reason to use one or the other? ...TIA

Wire nuts are still the best that I've used. The only time I recommend push in connectors are for this specific circumstance, when wires are cut too short in the box. Push in connectors don't work with very finely braided wires. That being said, I've never used lever nuts. I can see them working better than push ins though, due to the fact that it's the lever that makes the wires contact internally, not a spring like with push ins. They look like they would work with very finely braided wires too. The only downside I see to lever nuts are their size.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Zhentar posted:

Oh, those look nice.

I just used wire nuts for the last run I put in, but I made sure I used the correct ones for the circuit I did. I think next time, I may use those.

Who am I kidding. The conduit was such a pain in the rear end to run to the breaker box and down the walls from the attic I'm just getting an equity loan and hiring an electrician. I discovered some questionable wiring when I was adding in my circuit, so I think I want it all gone over anyway.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

kid sinister posted:

The only downside I see to lever nuts are their size.

That's the magical thing about the new 221s - the size isn't a down side anymore.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
At $0.57 a piece, those 221s are better suited for those projects, where wires are cut too short to twist or something...

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
I just found this on imgur.

"Shitter's clogged."

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Drake_263 posted:

"Shitter's clogged."

:barf:

Looking at the handle, I'm inclined to think it's a hotel, but still, how does the septic system backfill like that??

Unless it's Sochi, please tell me this is from Sochi

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Might want to cover the fart fan exhaust on the roof before pouring concrete repairs up there.

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

Drake_263 posted:

"Shitter's clogged."

Jesus Christ. :stonk:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Drake_263 posted:

I just found this on imgur.

"Shitter's clogged."
don't post pictures from my gastroenterologist's office

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Motronic posted:

Might want to cover the fart fan exhaust on the roof before pouring concrete repairs up there.

It looks like concrete and for my own sanity I will continue to think that it is such.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
My reaction was the exact same but ya, that is concrete. Dude fixing up the roof didn't cover the toilet exhaust vent.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe
How do you even begin to clean something like that up? Shovel as much as you can before it sets, then...???

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.
Call their insurance and get a new bathroom remodel would be my guess.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Close and seal the door. Then finish the pour. Make a modern cask of amontillado and seal that bathroom up. As the door gets sealed you hear a sad flush that sounds softly of sorrow and pain as the rest of the concrete comes down.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

30 Goddamned Dicks posted:

How do you even begin to clean something like that up? Shovel as much as you can before it sets, then...???

Grab a ton of sugar and start shoveling and mixing the sugar in

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

No amount of shoveling is going to fix the problem, because the pipes are also full of concrete themselves, which means a looooooooot of pipe is going to have to get replaced, meaning walls and floors torn up, etc. Who even knows how far downstream from the toilet that concrete made it. Whoever was doing that pour is going to have a tough time with their insurance premiums going forward.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

It looks like the toilet lid's closed, so maybe they got lucky

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Bad Munki posted:

No amount of shoveling is going to fix the problem, because the pipes are also full of concrete themselves, which means a looooooooot of pipe is going to have to get replaced, meaning walls and floors torn up, etc. Who even knows how far downstream from the toilet that concrete made it. Whoever was doing that pour is going to have a tough time with their insurance premiums going forward.

That appears to have come in from the ceiling (i.e. through the vent fan) so it's unlikely any pipe will need to be replaced. But they're gonna need some serious floor/wall work depending on how quickly they get sugar in there or just remove the crete.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

What's the sugar for?

And would you say there's about 400lbs there, or more?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Cakefool posted:

What's the sugar for?

It “poisons” the concrete and prevents it from setting as fast or as hard.