Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vOv
Feb 8, 2014

New Development Manifesto is up. Not a whole lot, aside from that Ascendancy is probably gonna drop the first week of March and that we're getting "some other heavily-requested trade features (not an Auction House)" sometime this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

StashAugustine posted:

Oh is the standard guild active at all, I assumed most people were in the league. Character name is Mara_Shepard. I'm still using a 4L; along with Arctic Armor and Hatred.

The Real Foogla posted:

mise well join the guild, mine is defunct or more like d3funct

please invite RunningWithTalismans

Dewbag posted:

Hey would someone mind adding me to whatever guild exists for EU? Tempbag is my char name. Dewbag is the account.

All done.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

ronya posted:

idly wondering how many 5Ls one would normally flip before encountering a 6L, on average

I'm guessing somewhere in the 100s. 6s show up about a tenth as often as 5s an 6l shows up about a tenth as often as 51.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Today I liquidated literally all the currency in my entire stash to lower my tooltip DPS and maximum life.

And it was good.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Bugsy posted:

All done.

thanks! also lmao at the first page of the guild stash

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

e: nm

Kea
Oct 5, 2007
Does anyone have a link to one of those builds where you just use flicker strike to murder whole packs of guys, or is this one of the builds that requires something difficult or expensive to get?

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Look up oro's flicker for a cheap and easy way to flit around murdering the everloving hell out of everything.

edit: the one I followed used bloodmagic but with running warlord's off blasphemy you really don't need it. So I'm guessing it's not an optimal build, but still super effective. Also, while it helps, you don't need that jewel that turns melee boosts into fire (fireborn?).

RosaParksOfDip fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jan 27, 2016

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Kea posted:

Does anyone have a link to one of those builds where you just use flicker strike to murder whole packs of guys, or is this one of the builds that requires something difficult or expensive to get?

It relies on having a specific 5l or better unique (Oro's Sacrifice, which is likely going to jump in price with people hopping on the bandwagon) and doesn't really work at all til you hit 67 and can equip it. There's a bunch of other expensive uniques that make it better but aren't absolutely required.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
I don't run 5link and it works plenty fine for early maps so far.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
I sold my first high price item! Divination Distillate, went for 1 ex -15c. Perfect IIR, lowest IIQ. I haven't had more than 10c liquid. Now I have an exalted and need to trade it for chaos.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

It relies on having a specific 5l or better unique (Oro's Sacrifice, which is likely going to jump in price with people hopping on the bandwagon) and doesn't really work at all til you hit 67 and can equip it. There's a bunch of other expensive uniques that make it better but aren't absolutely required.

Ah this sucks, Im really just looking for a quick fast clear builds, My current character is a TS ranger which is pretty drat quick.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Kea posted:

There is one on the duelist official thread I am doing it now it owns. Get RT and the acrobatics.

I've spent like maybe 20 chaos. You really need at least a kaoms primacy. They are cheap. Obviously to perfect the build you could spend 100 ex.

Would not recommend for hc.

Just level as molten strike or whatever. Once you get blasphemy + poachers mark and flicker plus multi strike you are all set.

Edit

You don't need oros. You can go 2 handed axe and use any old two handed axe.

euphronius fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jan 27, 2016

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Here is the thread

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/528011

I like it a lot. Just hold down right click and zoom all over the map. No clicking.

I use herald of ash instead of hatred.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

That sounds kinda nice, how survivable is it?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Rakeris posted:

That sounds kinda nice, how survivable is it?

I'm only in mid tier maps rn but it's fine. I have the daressos chest and cwdt linked to ic which works well. Also I have fortify linked to flicker.

It's not a build for HC!!!!!!!!

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Truth you can go flicker without oro's. The benefit to oro's is that you get charges on ignite instead of chance on kill so your ability to flicker is a little smoother. Also you can run warlord's off blasphemy for easy endurance charges instead of using daresso's. Also iirc oro's is cheaper than a good phys 2hander but I could be wrong. It's probably less damage than phys flicker but it's been incredibly cheap for me to build considering how strong it's been since there's basically no gear requirements other than oro's and you can slot whatever auras you want and don't need blood rage.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Mid range kaoms primacies are basically free and have culling strike so easy to pseudo 5 link. 400+ damage 5 link ones are really expensive yeah.

Blood dance boots are very cool with flicker and are like 20 chaos. You don't need them though.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

euphronius posted:

It's not a build for HC!!!!!!!!

That sounds like a challenge!

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Flicker works for HC. It's actually not inherently less tanky than typical melee 2H builds. There's just a problem with not being able to react when you flicker into something dangerous, which you can somewhat mitigate by just playing in a certain way and being very tanky.

Xequecal
Jun 14, 2005
Is Chaos Inoculation basically required for caster builds in this game? Like, I don't understand how you would sustain combat effectively without it, because you get screwed on leech either way. If you take Ghost Reaver, you're kind of screwed if you run into a bunch of chaos damage because you have no way to leech your life back and your flasks only go so far. But if you don't take it, you basically lose all your EHP three seconds after any real fight starts.

I got that unique jewel that gives you +60% damage with no mana reserved and a The Whispering Ice to drop so I figured I could do a build around those two things like this. >200% life, >200% energy shield and almost 150% evasion rating. Just wear DEX/INT gear and you're survivable as hell and also have good damage. But honestly I don't know if it's even viable at all with the chaos damage issue.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

That is the problem I ran into last time I did an ES build, even with decent chaos res I would just get rekt from it on occasion. Which was kinda frustrating, seems I had to go shavs or CI.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009

Ultima66 posted:

Flicker works for HC. It's actually not inherently less tanky than typical melee 2H builds. There's just a problem with not being able to react when you flicker into something dangerous, which you can somewhat mitigate by just playing in a certain way and being very tanky.

I've also found it can occasionally get annoying since you can't really target any one enemy. Especially if it's a rare providing a dangerous aura to the map boss and a bunch of mobs. It's also why the only thing that has killed me so far has been the museum map bosses. Usually takes me two or three tries to get them down since they all take damage evenly thanks to flicker spreading it around. Which reminds me that I should set up something for single target. Probably just another flicker with fire pen instead of melee splash.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Xequecal posted:

Is Chaos Inoculation basically required for caster builds in this game? Like, I don't understand how you would sustain combat effectively without it, because you get screwed on leech either way. If you take Ghost Reaver, you're kind of screwed if you run into a bunch of chaos damage because you have no way to leech your life back and your flasks only go so far. But if you don't take it, you basically lose all your EHP three seconds after any real fight starts.

I got that unique jewel that gives you +60% damage with no mana reserved and a The Whispering Ice to drop so I figured I could do a build around those two things like this. >200% life, >200% energy shield and almost 150% evasion rating. Just wear DEX/INT gear and you're survivable as hell and also have good damage. But honestly I don't know if it's even viable at all with the chaos damage issue.

Chaos Inoculation, and Energy Shield in general is actually much more rarely used for casters than for attack builds. Most casters are pure life based. Once you get to a certain point in high mana costs, you have to use either Blood Magic or Eldritch Battery to sustain the mana cost of your skills. With Eldritch Battery, you are going to use Mind Over Matter to get more effective life, but you are still going to have as big of a health pool as you can get and the ES pool just needs to be big enough to sustain your skills and take some big bursty hits.

Hybrid builds work, but you need to get your chaos resistance up. Most hybrid builds will have a pool of 2500-3500 life and 6000 energy shield when geared up. You use Ghost Reaver to keep your ES up and flasks to heal your life, but like you said, chaos damage is an issue. If you have over 0 chaos resistance, though, no chaos damage should be too much to react to with instant healing potions. What is generally considered the most powerful build in the game right now is a hybrid build.

Low life builds are just Chaos Inoculation without the Chaos Inoculation. They rely on Shavronne's Wrappings to mitigate the chaos damage, which is why it's one of the most expensive uniques. They can reserve life to get more auras and gain some other benefits, a few attack builds also use Blood Magic keystone since attacks have low enough mana costs you can sustain purely off your like 200-300 unreserved life with some regen and the keystone lets you use a few more auras.

The jewel that gives +damage with no mana reserved is used primarily for Blood Magic builds. No mana = you can never have any mana reserved. Also sometimes people don't reserve any mana with Infernal Mantle + Consuming Dark fire -> chaos builds due to the drawback of Infernal Mantle (sometimes I see these builds go Blood Magic, sometimes I see people just straight up not reserve anything), and again those tend to be pure life based.

Whispering Ice should probably be CI. I don't see any reason to passive points on life for Whispering Ice when you want to get as much int as you possibly can, which increases your ES pool. Also I don't think Whispering Ice builds tend to have any reason to use Clear Mind.

Vilgan
Dec 30, 2012

Xequecal posted:

I'm definitely not CI and haven't had many issues as a caster. I have Ghost Reaver and offset the chaos damage issues in a few ways:

1) I freeze basically everything so I don't take too much damage anyway
2) I have more life than ES, as do most casters I believe
3) 4.4k life with like 5% life/second makes chaos damage not terribly noticeable, even with -20% ish chaos resists. if life is still going down, I can use a pot and then get back to freezing everything

I have a lot more issues with things that pack a wallop and burn through my (admittedly meager) 3300ish ES and then 4.4k life than I do with chaos damage. There might be some high level map that's super hard that I haven't done yet (mostly t8 and below with some t10s) but thus far I don't really care about chaos damage. I used to have a lot less ES than that, but then I was spending some chaos on my 6L chest and landed one w/ like 750 ES so now I guess I care more about ES :)

Vilgan fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jan 27, 2016

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Think I'm gonna try and move my WI dude to CI or reroll. How important is Unwavering Stance, aka can I not start as Scion?

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Think I'm gonna try and move my WI dude to CI or reroll. How important is Unwavering Stance, aka can I not start as Scion?

If you're CI, you need stun immunity either from that or the eye of chayula. I guess if you're softcare it's not strictly 100% needed but even then i'd still get one of the two.

Xequecal
Jun 14, 2005
That's actually the main reason I hate CI, every single one of those builds wastes like 15-25 points just getting down to that part of the tree for Unwavering Stance. Scion looks like the least wasteful but you're literally spending 20 points for 2 jewel sockets, 30 int, 28 resist all, and unwavering stance.

I'm really kind of shocked at the idea that you can't regenerate enough mana normally to cast endgame spells. My only lategame char is the molten strike one that has one <30 mana skill. I did the math on this Witch char and it regens 85 mana/second while completely naked, does Icestorm in the endgame really suck up much more mana than that?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Xequecal posted:

That's actually the main reason I hate CI, every single one of those builds wastes like 15-25 points just getting down to that part of the tree for Unwavering Stance. Scion looks like the least wasteful but you're literally spending 20 points for 2 jewel sockets, 30 int, 28 resist all, and unwavering stance.

I'm really kind of shocked at the idea that you can't regenerate enough mana normally to cast endgame spells. My only lategame char is the molten strike one that has one <30 mana skill. I did the math on this Witch char and it regens 85 mana/second while completely naked, does Icestorm in the endgame really suck up much more mana than that?

Icestorm is basically a 7L. It can get very expensive.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
CI Icestorm going to Unwavering Stance is not a waste, you can convert quite alot of those str nodes to int using those jewels.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Xequecal posted:

First screenshot I found of a tooltip just looking at witch section on official forums:

~200 mana per second used (25 base mana cost on his Bladefall).

Other popular/previously popular self cast spells:
-Ethereal Knives costs 8% less mana and casts 25% faster, so it spends ~1.15x as much mana
-Ice Nova costs 24% more mana and casts ~9% slower: ~1.12x the cost
-Ball Lightning costs 8% more mana and casts at the same speed
-Arc and Glacial Cascade have the same cost and cast speed as Bladefall (4% more at lvl 20)
-Blade Vortex costs 24% less mana and casts 60% faster, ~1.21x the cost
-Shock Nova costs 4% more mana and casts 6.25% slower, 0.975x the cost
-Firestorm costs the same as Shock Nova

Basically you need somewhere between 200 and 250 mana regen per second to constantly self cast spells.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
And shockwave totem cost 58 base mana at level 20. :gonk:

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Totems are all really expensive but at least you don't have to spam them.

This is one of the reasons why no one uses Mines. It costs like 400 mana to drop a single Mine when fully leveled and linked up.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Ultima66 posted:

First screenshot I found of a tooltip just looking at witch section on official forums:

~200 mana per second used (25 base mana cost on his Bladefall).
I'm not following, if it's 103 mana and 0.26s cast time (3.8cast/sec), shouldn't it be closer to ~400? Or is spell echo making that math less than straightforward?

I have a bladefall witch at level 69 following some guide. I'm around 90 mana/s in the character sheet, it's not enough without leeching from blasphemy warlord's mark.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

JawnV6 posted:

I'm not following, if it's 103 mana and 0.26s cast time (3.8cast/sec), shouldn't it be closer to ~400? Or is spell echo making that math less than straightforward?

I have a bladefall witch at level 69 following some guide. I'm around 90 mana/s in the character sheet, it's not enough without leeching from blasphemy warlord's mark.

Spell Echo means you don't spend mana on every other cast since the tooltip shows how fast the spell casts are but each individual "action" you perform is 2 casts of the spell.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
Two new skills revealed, both are auxiliary damage spells that aren't intended to be used as primary attacks: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1576685

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
I like the look of the lightning one a lot more. The frost one could be cool I guess. Depends how it synergizes with stuff. I'm guessing you can have more than one out unlike the lightning one.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
wonder whether you have to manually cast spells in order to trigger the Orb of Storm benefit

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

ronya posted:

wonder whether you have to manually cast spells in order to trigger the Orb of Storm benefit

It says using lightning skills, so even if triggered gems don't work it might make for a ridiculous Hyaon's Fury build if 'skills' includes static strike and lightning strike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Count Uvula posted:

It says using lightning skills, so even if triggered gems don't work it might make for a ridiculous Hyaon's Fury build if 'skills' includes static strike and lightning strike.

Lightning strike is specifically mentioned in the post.

• Locked thread