Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Motto posted:

Serious anything players have hosed up people among them.

I'd say its impossible to be involved with competitive gaming without risking your own mental health.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

The problem with this argument is Brawl mechanically took a lot from Melee and in fact added stuff specifically to spite people who played competitively.

Do pro smash players have a mental image of Sakurai sitting at a desk programming Brawl thinking 'this'll show those loving nerds trying to play my game competitively'

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Help Im Alive posted:

Do pro smash players have a mental image of Sakurai sitting at a desk programming Brawl thinking 'this'll show those loving nerds trying to play my game competively'

I wouldn't doubt that.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Help Im Alive posted:

Do pro smash players have a mental image of Sakurai sitting at a desk programming Brawl thinking 'this'll show those loving nerds trying to play my game competitively'

Actually he did make the game less apt for competitive play on purpose as part of Nintendo's blue ocean strategy. Since this was on Wii and would have a large install base he wanted it more accessible to anyone.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Help Im Alive posted:

This is what King of Springs literally believes at least.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

No, it's the far more reasonable "I didn't like players running back and forth in Melee, so I'm going to add a mechanic to discourage them from running back and forth".

Which was tripping, and which turned out to be one of the worst gameplay ideas in the series.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Help Im Alive posted:

I think Sakurai actually did talk about how he wanted the game to be less about skill determining the winner so that people of different skill levels could play together and have fun. He wanted to shift the focus of enjoyment away from the results screen. I don't have a link for you but I believe it was on the dojo.

Unfortunately this is likely what led to a lot of weird design decisions in Brawl that people didn't really care for, like tripping or the huge bias towards defensive play. I honestly think Smash 4 is a lot better at catering to everyone than Brawl is.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Nickoten posted:

I honestly think Smash 4 is a lot better at catering to everyone than Brawl is.

... I liked the big sprawling nintendo fanfic plot.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

ikanreed posted:

As did I. I understand the reasons for excluding it from 4 but its absence hurts.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

As did I. I understand the reasons for excluding it from 4 but its absence hurts.

:yeah:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ikanreed posted:

I liked it too, but it didn't go near far enough, I don't know why they didn't fill it with enemies from all the games instead of the NotHeartless

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

ikanreed posted:

Recreate the magic with new Amiibo! Be the Master Hand of your own Adventure Mode, the Final Destination is your Living Room!

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

ikanreed posted:

You know, I'm actually with you on that one. I liked that there was a kind of story mode that took itself seriously despite its ridiculous premise. I didn't like actually playing that part up until the Great Maze, but I dug the existence of it.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

ikanreed posted:

the longest written work in the english language is a super smash brothers brawl fanfic.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Nickoten posted:

People talk about old games like they're a long-dead relative or something. It's loving videogames, play the videogame you think is fun, Jesus Christ it's not rocket science.

Video games are a disposable entertainment media like magazines. Play it until you are done and trade it in at GameStop for $2 off the purchase of your next $60 experience. Power to the Players™

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Tripping is actually insanely bad, youve gotta be some kind of broken to defend it

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Austrian mook posted:

Tripping is actually insanely bad, youve gotta be some kind of broken to defend it

Tripping as a mechanic is bad.

Watching some Melee players try to wavedash, trip, and then go loving ballistic over how it is literally the end of Super Smash Brothers the franchise Nintendo is dead to me forever I will pirate Project M on an emulator to ensure they never get my money again, it is very very good.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Takoluka posted:

Watching some Melee players try to wavedash, trip, and then go loving ballistic over how it is literally the end of Super Smash Brothers the franchise Nintendo is dead to me forever I will pirate Project M on an emulator to ensure they never get my money again, it is very very good.

I kinda wanna see someone do that now.

(And also see their reactions to Project M shutting down.)

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
As someone that has no idea what they are doing in Smash half the time, I like tripping because it levels the playing field.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Mercury Crusader posted:

Video games are a disposable entertainment media like magazines. Play it until you are done and trade it in at GameStop for $2 off the purchase of your next $60 experience. Power to the Players™

Nah.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Takoluka posted:

It is sinfull to take pleasure in the sorrow and sadness of another, no matter how contrived.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Astro7x posted:

As someone that has no idea what they are doing in Smash half the time, I like tripping because it levels the playing field.

Its not very difficult to figure out what's going on, most everyone here figured it out as a young child.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Takoluka posted:

why does smashbros discussion make everyone so weird

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
The Smash Bros discussion has it's own thread. Take your wavetrip talk there.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Austrian mook posted:

Its not very difficult to figure out what's going on, most everyone here figured it out as a young child.

you are a very rude 20 year old

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Austrian mook posted:

It is sinfull to take pleasure in the sorrow and sadness of another, no matter how contrived.

Yeah. It's awesome.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

don't read the Smash Bros reddit

The latest thing I've seen is that competitive Melee's resurgence in popularity is going to cause Nintendo to step in and outright remove Sakurai, to either make "Smash 4: Melee Edition" or patch in a "Melee Mode"

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Motto posted:

why does smashbros discussion make everyone so weird

Honestly, I'm in the "Hey, I like being Kirby and throwing a fire flower after I use it on someone! Let's play Mute City or Kraid or something!" camp, because it's just a neat little party brawler to me. Unfortunately, the only people I can ever play with are the stereotypical "No Items, Fox Only, Final Destination" crowd that loves Melee more than life, so my Smash experience is a bit sour.

There are some local Smash tournaments that happen around my area sometimes. Melee tournaments get solid turnouts from all sorts of players; Smash 4 tourneys are successful if 8 people show up, much less enter. It's so incredibly lopsided, and it's hard for me to fathom why some people seem to be allergic to adapting to series evolution.

That's my two cents!

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
No items, Fox only, final destination is absolutely nothing like the real competitive smash community, for the record.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Unfortunately that just sounds like an area thing. Smash 4 tourneys are about even to Melee in my area, maybe only a little smaller.

Smash 4 is pretty even in popularity to Melee, but the thing is it's just completely disparate audiences with very, very little overlap. Which, going back to it, is exactly why they're both at EVO.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I like playing with items sometimes but its not like they level the playig field. Lol. A good player can easily just immediately figure out what items are OP as gently caress and how to abuse them, and is going to win fights over smash balls and assist trophies more often than not. Ive played a lot of item matches against bad people and they dont fare any better than the no item matches.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
As much as I played the 3ds version I wish it never existed so the Wii U version could have been complete

Just gonna have to wait for the NX version which combines both features and adds ice climbers

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

deadly_pudding posted:

Jivjov is a ghost, but also a friend :ghost:

Oh god; I'm a ghost? I didn't even notice I had died!!

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

greatn posted:

Actually he did make the game less apt for competitive play on purpose as part of Nintendo's blue ocean strategy. Since this was on Wii and would have a large install base he wanted it more accessible to anyone.

To derail this discussion from Smash, which has its own thread (though this is a great discussion and all, guys, so feel free to ignore me) let me tell you a story about the Wii that happened to me today! I am a legit crazy person so I see a therapist and I was talking to her about the vidya games and I mentioned I had 60 games or so for my Wii and her eyes just kinda bugged out. Like I have known her for years and she's known I like video games the whole time but she apparently didn't think I liked video games enough to have sixty, let alone for one system. I told her I had over 400 physical games and I could see the word "excessive" scroll across her eyeballs. So I was like, "Look, yeah, that sounds like a lot, but it's not, really. Let me tell you about these nerds on the internet, OK?" Then I described the recent Metal Jesus video with the dude that had collected 1,260 NTSC Wii games. She goes, "I didn't even know there were that many video games!" I asked her, "You mean for the Wii, or at all?" She goes, "At all!" So I'm actually laughing at this point, and she's laughing too (I mean she knows I work at GameStop but I guess she's never been in one) and I asked her, "So how many games did you think the Wii had then?" And she says, "I thought it was just an interactive sports machine! You know, with bowling and tennis!" And I stared at her and I said, "(Her name), that's one game. There are over twelve hundred others in North America alone. I mean I have three Mario titles*, two Zeldas, and two Kirbys!" And she said, "I didn't know there was more than one Mario game." So then I explained to her what an attach rate was and that the Wii had an attach rate of about nine, and explained again that Wii Sports was just one game and that yes, Mario has been in many, many games. But we got there.

*Obviously I was only counting NSMB Wii and the two Galaxies.

Anyway so yeah she's in her seventies so I guess you can't expect everyone that age to know anything about video games at all, but she obviously got caught up in the blue ocean at some point because she loves Wii Sports. So that worked. But she's in the like 90% of the blue ocean who only liked Wii Sports and is why nobody is buying a Wii U. So in that sense the blue ocean was an abysmal failure. And either way she never would have been playing Smash because she had no idea the Wii did anything besides those five sports. (You wonder why she spent however much she did on the console and controllers and stuff to play one game.)

The blue ocean was complete nonsense and gave Nintendo a false sense of security when it launched the Wii U: Discuss.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Stay safe jivjov ghost.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

The Lobster posted:

The blue ocean was complete nonsense and gave Nintendo a false sense of security when it launched the Wii U: Discuss.

the wii u shark tank was tedious bore and i'm glad it's gone

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
i would just like to point out that without including downloadable content, smash bros 4 has 51 playable characters.

compare that to its contemporaries of killer instinct (2013) and ultra street fighter iv, which have 18 and 44 playable characters, respectively.

smash 4 and melee are both very good games with different play styles. it's okay to like different things.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Instant Sunrise posted:

i would just like to point out that without including downloadable content, smash bros 4 has 51 playable characters.

compare that to its contemporaries of killer instinct (2013) and ultra street fighter iv, which have 18 and 44 playable characters, respectively.

smash 4 and melee are both very good games with different play styles. it's okay to like different things.

Smash Bros. is also notorious for having lots of clone characters, same reason why Tekken Tag 2 was able to have so many characters.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Looper posted:

the wii u shark tank was tedious bore and i'm glad it's gone

The shark tank is coming from inside the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

FanaticalMilk posted:

Smash Bros. is also notorious for having lots of clone characters, same reason why Tekken Tag 2 was able to have so many characters.

At this point most Smash clones are well-differentiated in the vein of Ken or Sakura from SF. There are only about three clone-clones in 4.

• Locked thread