Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

"Wow, a three day X-Wing tournament with the top eight getting a ticket to Star Wars Celebration? Eight events at eight locations in eight countries? Interesting, but it's probably gonna be in LA or something."

Goddamn SHAUMBERG, ILLINOIS. Two hours away. I'm tempted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Otisburg posted:

"Wow, a three day X-Wing tournament with the top eight getting a ticket to Star Wars Celebration? Eight events at eight locations in eight countries? Interesting, but it's probably gonna be in LA or something."

Goddamn SHAUMBERG, ILLINOIS. Two hours away. I'm tempted.

Do it. Think of yourself as Rocky and this thread as your Mickey. Just try not to think about the fact that Rocky loses in the first movie.

Dr Intergalactic
Apr 21, 2010

CRASH!
:sharpton:
AGAIN!
Just diving into xwing, my buddy got a ton of stuff over xmas and ended up staking me in our LGS store championship tourney a few weeks ago. Having a blast. I feel way better about spending money on this as opposed to cardboard crack. :shepspends:

I've got a question about Ywings. I was able to find a 'most wanted' expansion at a local B&N and I was wondering if I could fly that Ywing in a rebel list. As far as I know the dial isn't different except the top has the S&V logo. My assumption would be no, in a tournament setting. I can do whatever I want at the kitchen table, of course.

also, whats up ConfusedUs, used to play a ton of WordFeud with you years ago.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

The answer for the y-wing is 'sort of'. The issue with the y-wing is that it has slightly different upgrades, but if you just use normal Astros instead of scavenged, you should be good.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Dr Intergalactic posted:

Just diving into xwing, my buddy got a ton of stuff over xmas and ended up staking me in our LGS store championship tourney a few weeks ago. Having a blast. I feel way better about spending money on this as opposed to cardboard crack. :shepspends:

I've got a question about Ywings. I was able to find a 'most wanted' expansion at a local B&N and I was wondering if I could fly that Ywing in a rebel list. As far as I know the dial isn't different except the top has the S&V logo. My assumption would be no, in a tournament setting. I can do whatever I want at the kitchen table, of course.

You can do whatever you want at the kitchen table, and there is no functional difference between "Gold/Gray Squadron Pilot" and "Syndicate Thug/Hired Gun." (E: forgot about the upgrades, but you can just look it up online and proxy whatever you want tbh and the only diff is treating the Salvaged Astromech as an Astromech slot)

For "official" play you can use either model and dial, but need the appropriate faction baseplate and card. If you pick up the Y-Wing expansion, you can run 2 Rebel Y-Wings also owning the Most Wanted one, depending on which specific ones.

If you like Y-Wings definitely pick it up. The title is great.

E: I think I'm totally gonna go to the Adepticon thing. If by some fluke of luck I make it to the cut where you have to have one list from each faction I'm running 4 TLT Y-Wings for my scum list because I have the models/cards for it in spite of not collecting scum, and am the enemy of fun.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jan 27, 2016

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Right, for tournament play the one component you can't slide on is the pilot card (well, and the little cardboard thing that slots into the base), but the dial and model themselves are fine to use for either Rebels or Scum.

Dr Intergalactic
Apr 21, 2010

CRASH!
:sharpton:
AGAIN!

Tekopo posted:

The answer for the y-wing is 'sort of'. The issue with the y-wing is that it has slightly different upgrades, but if you just use normal Astros instead of scavenged, you should be good.

Otisburg posted:

You can do whatever you want at the kitchen table, and there is no functional difference between "Gold/Gray Squadron Pilot" and "Syndicate Thug/Hired Gun." (E: forgot about the upgrades, but you can just look it up online and proxy whatever you want tbh)

For "official" play you can use either model and dial, but need the appropriate faction baseplate and card. If you pick up the Y-Wing expansion, you can run 2 Rebel Y-Wings also owning the Most Wanted one, depending on which specific ones.

If you like Y-Wings definitely pick it up. The title is great.

I gotcha. Yeah I meant to specify about using rebel pilots/bases for the S&V ywing.

Definitely found the answer on about the second page of the rules... :rolleyes:

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Is there a squadron builder that will tell you what you need to buy in order to run your list with all the right cards, etc?

For some reason I thought I saw one but can't find it again...

Weirdneal
Jan 2, 2010

TKIY posted:

Is there a squadron builder that will tell you what you need to buy in order to run your list with all the right cards, etc?

http://xwing-builder.co.uk/build shows you what expansion packs every ship/upgrade you select is from.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

TKIY posted:

https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/ lets you list your collection and tells you what cards you have and where each card comes from but I don't know any that have an option to just see what expansions you need for a whole list.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
Once you build your list in one of those, export it as XWS and paste it here: http://randolphw.github.io/han-shopped-first/

Weirdneal
Jan 2, 2010
Second league night tomorrow. I like unconventional lists and want to decide between these two:

Whisper + Gunner + FCS + VI + ACD
Boba Fett + HLC + VI + Navigator + EU + Slave 1 (for flavor) [Could run ReconSpec instead of Navigator]

or

Kath Scarlet + PtL + HLC + K4 Security Droid + Inertial Dampeners + EU
Emon Azzameen + Andrasta + Seismic Charges + Prox Mines (2x) [Note: I don't own any other bombs)

Weirdneal fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jan 27, 2016

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

The Lord of Hats posted:

Yeah, seriously. I mean, I can get if there isn't actually *worldwide* demand for X-Wing, but having all of one event in the US and the other 7 in Europe is absolutely bizarre.
I guess we'll have to content ourselves with Worlds, and much better access to stuff like prerelease events, store and regional championships, and our very own North American championship (there is no European championship). Plus SW Celebration is in Europe this year. Every US event means an intercontinental airline ticket.

alg posted:

It super sucks to have one event in... Illinois. Wtf FFG
Where else can host a huge X-Wing event alongside a major gaming convention and do so well in advance of Star Wars Celebration in July?

Chill la Chill posted:

One day the nova open will be large enough for companies to take it seriously as a gaming convention. Probably needs another 5 years though.
NOVA is great but the timing is not from the perspective of an event like this that has to be done in advance of SW Celebration. Also it's too close to Worlds, and after regionals/nationals. I suspec that hurts it more than anything else.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Poopy Palpy posted:

Once you build your list in one of those, export it as XWS and paste it here: http://randolphw.github.io/han-shopped-first/

Bingo, that's what I was remembering.

Thanks for the answers!

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

pbpancho posted:

I guess we'll have to content ourselves with Worlds, and much better access to stuff like prerelease events, store and regional championships, and our very own North American championship (there is no European championship). Plus SW Celebration is in Europe this year. Every US event means an intercontinental airline ticket.

Where else can host a huge X-Wing event alongside a major gaming convention and do so well in advance of Star Wars Celebration in July?

NOVA is great but the timing is not from the perspective of an event like this that has to be done in advance of SW Celebration. Also it's too close to Worlds, and after regionals/nationals. I suspec that hurts it more than anything else.

Columbus, OH and Origins.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

pbpancho posted:

Yeah, I'm not actually angry or anything. I think I'd honestly be feeling less weird about it if they had just made it a Europe only thing if that makes sense.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

alg posted:

It super sucks to have one event in... Illinois. Wtf FFG

Actually, it's quite good.

Mid West Mid BEST.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Otisburg posted:

Actually, it's quite good.

Mid West Mid BEST.

I grew up in the midwest.

The only thing I miss is Meijer. Everything else about it is objectively poo poo.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

If anyone in the London area feels like playing some X-wing tomorrow at 6:30 pm let me know, I booked a table at DS but my friend had to drop out

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

1: *Inputs standard VSP list into Han Shopped First*
2: :eyepop:
3: *Feels kind of misleading when he says to newbies "Sure, you can make a 100 point list* with a sub $100 buy-in"

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

You totally can, just not that one. Vader and Palpatine requiring a Raider also inflates the price quite a bit over other lists.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I wonder what the cheapest netlist is if you're buying everything retail.

Even something as basic as Thug Life is $150 (plus a starter.)

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Probably an Omega Leader + fo swarm

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Improbable Lobster posted:

Probably an Omega Leader + fo swarm

BBBBZ.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

That's probably the cheapest good one. 3X2Y is cheaper on the whole because you get one X in the core set.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I mean are we just talking ships or upgrades? Brobots are $60 MSRP for a pair and you don't need Most Wanted to fly them, so them plus a coreset is $100 on the nose.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Definitely taking upgrades into account, ships is easy.

E: Came up when some guy commented on my store champs posting asking what it would take to get started. I basically gave him the "soup to nuts" answer and came up with an okay-ish Poe-Han list that just uses the starter and falcon as an excercise in economical starter list building.

E2: A viable Whisper/RAC is -close- to economical, but really wants VI and probably Gunner.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jan 27, 2016

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Can you do a Brobots list with just stuff from IG-2000?

Edit: Somehow I forgot to refresh before posting.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Some Numbers posted:

Depends on if you want your robots hooked on space drugs or not.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Some more rebels footage of an x-wang match

Hera is one hell of an arc dodger, and when are seeing thse mando fighters for Scum?

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
If they actually made them with free-swiveling wing-things I would lose my poo poo. Put a B-wing style mount in the butt of 'em.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Oh sweet a world event! I hope the Australian one is in Melbourne! :negative:

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.

kingcom posted:

Oh sweet a world event! I hope the Australian one is in Melbourne! :negative:

Oh hey, a Melbourne xwing goon! Where do you usually play?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Some Numbers posted:

No, you can't. The things that make brobots good are all over the place.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

KongGeorgeVII posted:

Oh hey, a Melbourne xwing goon! Where do you usually play?
I bounce round shops as I have free time basically. I try to get into the city and play some at Games Laboratory but monday nights are the worst for me since its like a 1:40 minute round trip to train in and out. Played at good games once and that seemed alright but same issue.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

So I've decided that my list I'm going to practice with the most to "get gud" ahead of System Open is going to be Ace + Black Crack Mini-Swarm.

Trying to nail down the real particulars. I think the ace is absolutely going to be Vader. He's more forgiving with my playstyle (badly). I'm also about 90% nailed down as VI for his EPT. Simple, economical, and in an enviroment where I'm bound to see a lot of PS10 Poe, PS11 Vader seems like bank.

The one thing I'm up in the air about is Howlrunner's EPT. Swarm Tactics is really situational. It allowed me to skunk a PS7 guy hard once, but in another game it just didn't come up because the opposition was all 9+ or 2.

I'm kind of liking Juke based on that FO swarm list linked above. My thinking is since HR is a prime target I tend to like to evade with her, so Juke can force an early token spend if she doesn't have to evade vs. aces and banks it for swarm devence, which would allow the Black Cracks to Crack Black that much harder.

For a "second faction list" as required for the side events I'm thinking either XXY or Thug Life.

guts and bolts, I'm ready to do the deaaal when you are, check your mail!

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.

Otisburg posted:

I'm kind of liking Juke based on that FO swarm list linked above. My thinking is since HR is a prime target I tend to like to evade with her, so Juke can force an early token spend if she doesn't have to evade vs. aces and banks it for swarm devence, which would allow the Black Cracks to Crack Black that much harder.

Juke is great but howlrunner is not going to be the best platform for it. Without any way to modify her dice it isn't uncommon to roll all blanks and focuses.

I would try to get a stealth device on her to make your opponent work hard to get rid of her.

kingcom posted:

I bounce round shops as I have free time basically. I try to get into the city and play some at Games Laboratory but monday nights are the worst for me since its like a 1:40 minute round trip to train in and out. Played at good games once and that seemed alright but same issue.

If you get some time and it's not on the wrong side of town you should swing by gatekeeper games. We have a good regular crowd on Tuesday nights, and often people in Thursdays. I'll be there tonight practising for store champs, coincidentally the first store champs in Melbourne is at Gatekeeper on the 6th of Feb.

KongGeorgeVII fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jan 28, 2016

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

bunnyofdoom posted:

Some more rebels footage of an x-wang match

Hera is one hell of an arc dodger, and when are seeing thse mando fighters for Scum?

those fighters are rad as hell, its like when i first saw the syck and thought it went that way, (I didnt see the cockpit at first glance)

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013
Do many of you guys play Armada? I've gotten into it recently and bought a few expansions, really enjoying playing it. Just like X-wing, it's simple enough that you can teach someone the game in a session and get straight to more complicated lists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Otisburg posted:

The one thing I'm up in the air about is Howlrunner's EPT. Swarm Tactics is really situational. It allowed me to skunk a PS7 guy hard once, but in another game it just didn't come up because the opposition was all 9+ or 2.

Stealth Device is probably the best bang for your buck option on Howl, if you can fit it. After that, another Crack Shot is always good and non-situational. Or nothing at all. The fewer points on her, the less you care when she dies.

• Locked thread