Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Pocket Billiards posted:

Brickleberry isn't all that bad. Call me a philistine or whatever, but I'd sooner watch an episode of that than Bob's Burgers, American Dad, Family Guy, etc.

philistine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I hated Dexter from episode 1, how did it somehow get more terrible and lovely than a father rowing out in a boat with his adopted son to tell said adopted son that since something bad happened to him (the son) he was now broken forever and could not be a real person (abused children are perma-garbage) and would have to settle for applying his soulless little kid husk to murder of the wicked.

Superior Bastard
Jun 5, 2004

I wanna be on you.

netally posted:

The House finale was pretty good. How else would you have ended it really? Killing off House would have been too predictable, killing off Wilson would have been depressing. It wrapped up most of the story arcs. The show had been dying for quite a while. It needed House to literally ride off into the sunset.

But that's exactly what happened. They chose to make the ending a metaphor rather than the depressing reality of the situation. Wilson joining House on the cycle ride is him succumbing to his cancer and then riding off to the afterlife or his new existence as Wilson the Friendly Ghost

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Pretty much every animated comedy takes a few episodes to get good, if not a whole season. It's a shame that people bailed on Moonbeam City after the weak premiere because it's funny and it's nice to have an animated comedy that's actually really well-animated and pretty and not just lowest-effort garbage like Family Guy or South Park.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Pick posted:

I hated Dexter from episode 1, how did it somehow get more terrible and lovely than a father rowing out in a boat with his adopted son to tell said adopted son that since something bad happened to him (the son) he was now broken forever and could not be a real person (abused children are perma-garbage) and would have to settle for applying his soulless little kid husk to murder of the wicked.

That came straight from the book series which is garbage. How they managed to turn that into a watchable (IMO) show was nothing short of a miracle.

And then they somehow managed to make it worse than the books. Books where it turns out that "the dark passenger" wasn't a metaphor and Dexter is a serial killer because he's full of demons or something.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Sleeveless posted:

Pretty much every animated comedy takes a few episodes to get good, if not a whole season.
almost all sitcoms do, not just animated ones

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

mdm posted:

maybe Wings is even more bland than Everybody Loves Raymond, I'm not sure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOIMPmqJ3i4

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

netally posted:

He's good in Wolf of Wall Street because his character is a mean, hateful poo poo head with a thin veneer of loveable, chubby oaf over the top. So yeah, he's good at playing it dark occasionally.

I think he really sells that character because Jonah Hill actually is the kind of guy you'd expect to get arrested for getting high off his rear end and whipping it out and jerking in public.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Marv Hushman posted:

Prison Break was actually watchable and somewhat interesting for a couple of seasons, then it got to the point where there was a double cross every 12 seconds and the actors seemed to want to prison break through the 4th wall to let you know they understood how ridiculous it had become.

And it's coming back.

Prison Break owned and I'm glad for this

Pick posted:

I liked it, the dad was an absolute monster and they didn't really try to make you sympathetic to him if I recall, he was just hosed up and used Dexter as some kind of weapon

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

netally posted:

The House finale was pretty good. How else would you have ended it really? Killing off House would have been too predictable, killing off Wilson would have been depressing. It wrapped up most of the story arcs. The show had been dying for quite a while. It needed House to literally ride off into the sunset.

yeah, I didn't mind House's ending, meanwhile the last few seasons of it really were on the bad decline whereas the first 3 or so were really quite amazing at the time.

It probably could have been done better, but it's apparently hard to make a good finale since the list of TV shows that ended great is very loving small and it would be much easier to list good finales, compared to all the TV shows that had so-so or bad endings.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I avoided Seinfeld with almost the level of revulsion that I avoided Everybody Loves Raymond with. I have never seen the appeal to either guy, and think they both suck at stand-up comedy as well as television.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I avoided Seinfeld with almost the level of revulsion that I avoided Everybody Loves Raymond with. I have never seen the appeal to either guy, and think they both suck at stand-up comedy as well as television.

Whaaaat's the deal your bad opinions?

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Get hosed, pisslord.

Estranged On The Range
Oct 18, 2015
Any show that just go on and on. No matter how good the show was in it's early season it always turns to poo poo the longer it goes.

AbbadonOfHell
Jul 16, 2004
You know I would try to think of something funny to put here but ill just pass on that and threaten people with a + 2 board with a nail in it.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Seinfeld was the PG older brother of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. It was actually kinda unique at the time as well, most sitcoms of the time period were more akin to the Cosby show and stuff where it was cute and fun and had a moral at the end. Seinfeld just laughed at all that poo poo and made a show about horrible people that were somewhat relatable doing everyday poo poo that assholes do.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

AbbadonOfHell posted:

Seinfeld was the PG older brother of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. It was actually kinda unique at the time as well, most sitcoms of the time period were more akin to the Cosby show and stuff where it was cute and fun and had a moral at the end. Seinfeld just laughed at all that poo poo and made a show about horrible people that were somewhat relatable doing everyday poo poo that assholes do.

The biggest difference someone explained to me is that, on "Seinfeld", it was sociopaths doing their best to pretend to be normal people. On "It's Always Sunny", they just drop the pretense.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
Fargo.

Obligatory Handle
Feb 27, 2004

by Lowtax
The worst part about Seinfeld was Seinfeld himself. The supporting cast makes that show, especially George. Whoever said Seinfeld sucks at stand up is totally right though. Watched a whole set of his once and it was BAD BAD BAD.

Thankfully, Larry David made Curb Your Enthusiasm which is like an infinitely better version of Seinfeld.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Obligatory Handle posted:

The worst part about Seinfeld was Seinfeld himself. The supporting cast makes that show, especially George. Whoever said Seinfeld sucks at stand up is totally right though. Watched a whole set of his once and it was BAD BAD BAD.

Thankfully, Larry David made Curb Your Enthusiasm which is like an infinitely better version of Seinfeld.

George Costanza is one of my favorite characters ever created, Jerry was hit or miss, I hated Kramer, and Elaine became the mold for every lovely comedy aimed at women during the 90's-00's

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I avoided Seinfeld with almost the level of revulsion that I avoided Everybody Loves Raymond with.

idiot

obviously I fucked it
Oct 6, 2009

natetimm posted:

Full House was the worst show ever and they're rebooting it. Dark times.

Jesus, I'd forgotten that one.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
What sitcom era aged the best/worst?

Growing up we used to have all sorts of 50s-early 80s sitcoms playing at all times in all sorts of rotation in syndication, but they've gradually all vanished except for maybe TV Land and I'm not even sure if they're still there or not.

Outside of Cheers, I can't think of a lot of 80s stuff that held up so well that I would want to watch it again. 90s comedies seemed very short-lived and forgettable outside a few shows.

I sort of suspect that we'll hit a point in the near future where people watching That 70s Show and Happy Days for the first time are going to think assume both were actually filmed in the era they were set in.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Perfect Strangers. The Big Bang of its time.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

In some lovely movie similar to Idiocracy The Big Bang theory is a shown on a TV as an example of how terrible things have become

People who watch it and TWD are the dumbest people

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

JediTalentAgent posted:

Growing up we used to have all sorts of 50s-early 80s sitcoms playing at all times in all sorts of rotation in syndication, but they've gradually all vanished except for maybe TV Land and I'm not even sure if they're still there or not.

Outside of Cheers, I can't think of a lot of 80s stuff that held up so well that I would want to watch it again. 90s comedies seemed very short-lived and forgettable outside a few shows.

I sort of suspect that we'll hit a point in the near future where people watching That 70s Show and Happy Days for the first time are going to think assume both were actually filmed in the era they were set in.

Happy Days was all right for the 1st couple of seasons when it used Rock Around the Clock for its theme song. It felt like it represented the time it was supposed to take place. Then it morphed into a show where people from the 70s transported to 1957.

Professor Shark posted:

In some lovely movie similar to Idiocracy The Big Bang theory is a shown on a TV as an example of how terrible things have become

People who watch it and TWD are the dumbest people

But who's actually watching it? The olds and the poors or anybody who's been conditioned to watch network television and still does so out of habit. Those numbers are way down compared to television's viewer peak in the 89s/90s. Which show is worse Big Bang or Family Matters? Both are complete crap, they just come in different favors.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

King Vidiot posted:

That came straight from the book series which is garbage. How they managed to turn that into a watchable (IMO) show was nothing short of a miracle.

And then they somehow managed to make it worse than the books. Books where it turns out that "the dark passenger" wasn't a metaphor and Dexter is a serial killer because he's full of demons or something.

You gotta be kidding here.

What the hell happens in the series finale that could be worse than this?

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

JediTalentAgent posted:

Get Smart is pretty ageless.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Pocket Billiards posted:

Brickleberry isn't all that bad. Call me a philistine or whatever, but I'd sooner watch an episode of that than Bob's Burgers, American Dad, Family Guy, etc.

I think it's crime is that it replaces writing with trying to be dark/cruel/edgy. It's not bad, it's just surprisingly dull for Comedy Central fare. Drawn Together did it better.

King Vidiot posted:

Dexter would have been good if it was locked at maybe three seasons. I don't think you could honestly do more than that without suffering some major issues with the premise and/or having to change up the paradigm every so often...which is a fancy way of saying 'so the cops don't catch on to the serial killer in their midst, holy poo poo.' Now, if they found out and spent the rest of the series hunting him down and all of that...maybe. But having him 'die' and assume another identity is laughable.

AbbadonOfHell posted:

I think the whole 'they're horrible people' angle came about in retrospect to excuse the horrible latter seasons, or in defense of that season finale where George's fiance dies and the show wildly misunderstood how that would be taken. I could be wrong (the memory cheats), but I don't recall that being used as a reason to watch the show at the time until the series finale blew chunks. And speaking of that finale....why end a series on a glorified clipshow?

Obligatory Handle posted:

The funniest thing about the show is that Jerry Seinfeld could have been any comedian in the early '90s and it would have still worked with the supporting cast. He might have added something, but overall he didn't add much outside of the name.

JediTalentAgent posted:

The '90s at least had the fortune to suck halfway through before the Network Model fell apart due to the Internet and Cable. The '80s had to deal with the idea that TV had to serve a purpose and was an educational tool, leading to some horrifically awful programming that really couldn't be revisited in a fond light. I don't think you could go back and revisit any '80s TV sitcom that had a Very Special Episode without getting douchechills, and rightfully so. Nothing breaks a show more than having established characters deal with 'real world' problems, only to go back to normal next week. And we wonder why some people have problems with telling reality from fiction.

Automatic Slim posted:

But who's actually watching it? The olds and the poors or anybody who's been conditioned to watch network television and still does so out of habit. Those numbers are way down compared to television's viewer peak in the 89s/90s. Which show is worse Big Bang or Family Matters? Both are complete crap, they just come in different favors.

I would differ: Family Matters was designed to be crap to throw on Fridays to keep people watching as they did something much more fun. Big Bang represents the push towards genre programming (even if it doesn't follow it) amidst the dying Network TV model. Either way, both show that TV designed to keep eyes on the screen is slowly (and gratefully) dying. Yeah, Big Bang is popular, but what does that really mean when twenty years ago it would have drastically higher ratings? Is that just another case of Network television trying to tell us what to like instead of pandering to us to see what we like?

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

JediTalentAgent posted:

By far and away late 60s/70s UK sitcoms.
You can complain about the Big Bang Theory or Wings or Everybody Loves Raymond, but none of those shows come close to the putrescence of that era of sitcoms us Brits produced. Love thy Neighbour, Mind your Language, On the Buses...
Hell, Last of the Summer Wine was first broadcast in 1973 and inexplicably didn't finish until 2010.

It's really strange that the 70s are considered to be the golden age of British sitcoms. People always point to Fawlty Towers or Rising Damp, but for every one of those there were probably 10 horribly racist/sexist poo poo fests being made.

Ugh.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Doc Block posted:

Whaaaat's the deal your bad opinions?

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Get hosed, pisslord.

Are you people whiteknighting Seinfeld out of spergy solidarity for his whole "I think I have the 'tism" thing a while back?

JediTalentAgent posted:

I think it's mostly a matter of good writing and cast more than time period. The Dick Van Dyke Show still easily holds it own against modern fare, for instance, and it started in 1961.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Are you people whiteknighting Seinfeld out of spergy solidarity for his whole "I think I have the 'tism" thing a while back?

I think it's mostly a matter of good writing and cast more than time period. The Dick Van Dyke Show still easily holds it own against modern fare, for instance, and it started in 1961.

I just wanted to make a Seinfeld joke :(

I've only seen a few episodes of the show, but thought they were funny.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Along that line, the early sitcoms sort of did quite a few of the same sort of stories and plots that would later be emulated by other shows down the road, too.

I agree with you, but I also think time period plays a part, too, in a lot of shows trying to all capitalize on the social attitudes and culture of the time to tell their stories, the formula and styles that everyone is making, etc.

Now I'm thinking about the progression of sexual behavior in sitcoms, for some reason. Something like I think Dick Van Dyke had to have Rob and Laura sleeping in separate beds. The 70s-era shows there seemed to be very a lot more insinuation and cues that characters were being openly sexual in their lives as part of the plots. By the 90s we were openly admitting that characters were having sex.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Why is he dressed for gay porn?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
lol at whiteknighting seinfeld. loving retard.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Liking one of the most popular and critically acclaimed sitcoms of all time is white-knighting now? Alright...

-drags out a ladder and begins chiseling "white knight" onto the WORDS THE GBS HAS DESTROYED tablet-

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

JediTalentAgent posted:

Fresh Prince is still legit good.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Doc Block posted:

BSG season 2 was really good IMHO. Season 3, where they spent the first third of the season on that planet they tried to colonize but then got found by the Cylons, was when the show started to suck.

Later BSG did give us Colonel Tigh turning into a terror cell organizer who didn't give a gently caress and banged Tricia Helfer cyborgs. I mean if you have to ride out a show's death spiral there were worse ways to go.

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

Automatic Slim posted:

Perfect Strangers. The Big Bang of its time.

Not even close IDIOT

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Goons getting all salty itt over defending Seinfeld. Sorry you guys have bad taste and no sense of humor. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

JediTalentAgent posted:

Golden Girls is one of my favourite shows of all time. It looks dated, but I think it holds up because the humour still works. I'd rewatch Diff'rent Strokes if that came back on TV. Early seasons were pretty funny and goofy.

The 90s gave us Frasier which I could rewatch over and over.

• Locked thread