Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

rovert posted:

Meltzer is a false God.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Dave rules.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
Dave is great but sometimes he has a real problem admitting his mistakes and I don't think it's somehow mentally abnormal to point that out and encourage him to be better

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the dave yottsume story is still my favorite

Normal Not Odd
Nov 5, 2003

what a t e r r i b l e world

what a b e a u t i f u l world
I am of the opinion that getting into a Twitter slap fight with Dave and then bragging about it on the forums is not cool.

and I spit in the face of people who don't want to be cool

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...

Mormon Juggernaut posted:

I am of the opinion that getting into a Twitter slap fight with Dave and then bragging about it on the forums is not cool.

and I spit in the face of people who don't want to be cool

I love that in 2016 Bryan Alvarez still gets mad about that gimmick

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

you're posting in the thread for the Bryan and Vinny show

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

Mormon Juggernaut posted:

youre right

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Muddy Burphy posted:

I thought Bryan and JR had a good dynamic on the Ross report. There was one instance where JR clearly didn't agree with Bryan's opinion, but he was politely diplomatic about it.

Yeah, it was a quite enjoyable show and they played off each other pretty well.

Swagger Dagger posted:

you're posting in the thread for the Bryan and Vinny show

.....and Craig

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Super No Vacancy posted:

the dave yottsume story is still my favorite

What was that again?

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
Howwwwwwws it goin' everybody, Bryan Alvarez and Dave Meltzer here, Wrestling Observer Radio.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2_U6gZp6vo

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Glamorama26 posted:

Howwwwwwws it goin' everybody, Bryan Alvarez and Dave Meltzer here, Wrestling Observer Radio.

I think my favourite Bryan-ism is him putting "A fun show as always, so check it out~!" in the description on breaking news audio when someone dies.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

triplexpac posted:

What was that again?
Dave was using Yossume's translations uncredited for months. Yottsume kept complaining on twitter with no reply. Dave sent him a Hall of Fame ballot.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
RIP Yottsume

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

As expected, Cornette hates Lucha Underground and rants about it on his show this week. The guy just hates fun, I think.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Super No Vacancy posted:

Meltzer's new foreword is just the old one rewritten but worse. what was even the point. he even lifts entire lines

I was looking for my last yottsume post but see I got beat. anyway I forgot about this from the revised death of wcw hahaha

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
Note to self: continue to annoy Dave about DG stuff on Twitter. Get a ballot. And get Don Fujii in.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Unbelievable that Dave sent his Yakuza connections to rub Yottsume out & got away with it. Disgusting.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Super No Vacancy posted:

I would rather Bryan and Vinny talk about something else but retro shows ain't it

I was wrong about this also because listening to them identify good things on the old shows is good and makes for a more productive critique of the current poo poo

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I enjoy wrestling and I enjoy Dave Meltzer talking and writing about wrestling and neither of those things are affected whatsoever by the real or not real amount of people who sat in the building and watched that wrestling.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
The Retro shows are some of my favourite stuff on F4W. I could listen to them gush about Sid all day.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

ZoDiAC_ posted:

Is Lapsed Fan still going?

Bueller?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What is the most disputed Meltzer match rating?

I remember he rated this HBK-Jannetty match on RAW in 1993 ****3/4 and got a lot of poo poo for it:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x122524_monday-night-raw-93-shawn-michaels-vs-marty-jannetty-07-19_sport

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

triplexpac posted:

The Retro shows are some of my favourite stuff on F4W. I could listen to them gush about Sid all day.

Same. I watch all the retro shows before I listen to the podcasts.

They're right, Roadblock really isn't that bad of a worker.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Hogan / Andre WM3 got negative 4 snowflakes.

Tr33
May 26, 2007

Love is a tiny lion holding a donut!

CombineThresher posted:

As expected, Cornette hates Lucha Underground and rants about it on his show this week. The guy just hates fun, I think.

Has he actually seen the show? I mean it's weird to get upset about it cuz as far the universe it exists in, it's about the only promotion where the competition is treated as real by everyone involved even if it is a bit cartoony.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Cornette managing, say, Cage and not being let in on any of the storytelling aspects of LU would be hilarious.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

dsriggs posted:

Unbelievable that Dave sent his Yakuza connections to rub Yottsume out & got away with it. Disgusting.

Don't be silly. He wanted the real thing, so he sent Aja Kong.

CombineThresher posted:

It's sad, I used to really enjoy Cornette's show but after his last (that I heard) rant about how Muslims are evil I just had to give up on listening.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

CombineThresher posted:

There's plenty to critique about lucha underground but jim cornette is not the place id go to for it, or anything but telling stories about his career

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Don't be silly. He wanted the real thing, so he sent Aja Kong.

It's sad, I used to really enjoy Cornette's show but after his last (that I heard) rant about how Muslims are evil I just had to give up on listening.

I gave up months ago when he and Alice went on an interminable reddit-as-gently caress childfree rant.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Tr33 posted:

Has he actually seen the show? I mean it's weird to get upset about it cuz as far the universe it exists in, it's about the only promotion where the competition is treated as real by everyone involved even if it is a bit cartoony.

Yeah, his new cohost sent him some clips, which he got extremely pissed off about because it's not treating wrestling like a legitimate sport.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
You'd think Jim Cornette would love LU given all the whitewashing they do.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

MassRafTer posted:

You'd think Jim Cornette would love LU given all the whitewashing they do.

Jim makes no sense sometimes. He hates ridiculous comedy wrestling, but was introduced to wrestling by the goofy-as-gently caress Memphis product and loved Plowboy Frazier, who was a comedy wrestler and also terrible.

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax

EugeneJ posted:

What is the most disputed Meltzer match rating?

I remember he rated this HBK-Jannetty match on RAW in 1993 ****3/4 and got a lot of poo poo for it:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x122524_monday-night-raw-93-shawn-michaels-vs-marty-jannetty-07-19_sport

Plenty of people bitched that he didnt give HBK/Taker at WM25 the full 5 rather than a measly 4 3/4 stars (iirc he took a quarter star off becasue of the cameraman botch that had Taker land on his head)

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
If it's after 1985 then Cornette probably hates it.

Tr33
May 26, 2007

Love is a tiny lion holding a donut!
Reminder, Cornette used to have Brian Hildebrand dress as Kowabunga The Ninja Turtle in SMW.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Jim has a narrow idea of what wrestling should be. Closest modern day equivalent would probably be ROH but with less big moves.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Cornette's gimmick is that he hates everything and goes off on rants, don't get worked into a shoot you marks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Tr33 posted:

Reminder, Cornette used to have Brian Hildebrand dress as Kowabunga The Ninja Turtle in SMW.

Posting this just in case people haven't seen it:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1wolt2_jim-cornette-vs-cowabunga-smokey-mountain-wrestling-08-19-1993_sport

• Locked thread