Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Srice posted:

I like how that falls in line with the Neo Zeong. Just like Full Frontal it tries to be big and imposing, but all that power winds up just being for show compared to what it accomplishes.

Primarily because Full Frontal had effectively already won and everyone in a position to oppose him was scattered and broken, but he decided he needed to go for the moral/philosophical win via Magical Newtype Time Journey instead of taking the very clear military/political win by killing Banagher, kidnapping Mineva, and getting the gently caress out of there with the Box before Gryps could fire.

Which was a dumb character shift, because his entire Side Co-Prosperity Sphere plan was a brutal piece of down-to-earth realpolitik compared to Real Char's philosophically motivated genocide. The shift can be explained away with "Cyber Newtypes are crazy and unstable as gently caress", but that doesn't make it less unsatisfying.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jan 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'd say it was more because there was just enough Char in him that he wanted to convince his Amuro analogue that his way of thinking was right and to finally make Amuro his ally rather than his enemy. Some of the dialogue between Frontal and Banagher during the seeing time sequence mirrors the final argument between Char and Amuro and the entire thing is obviously just a more focused take on that.

tsob fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jan 28, 2016

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

tsob posted:

I'd say it was more because there was just enough Char in him that he wanted to convince his Amuro analogue that his way of thinking was right and to finally make Amuro his ally rather than his enemy. Some of the dialogue between Frontal and Banagher during the seeing time sequence mirrors the final argument between Char and Amuro and the entire thing is obviously just a more focused take on that.

Yeah, that was clearly the intent, I'm just saying even outside the absolute ridiculousness of the Newtype Time Ride it was a disappointing writing decision to me. Frontal as "Char, but not blinded by emotions and ideology and instead focused and committed to realistic, obtainable goals" is more interesting than Frontal as "Char, but a lovely knockoff". Banagher had opposed him and everything he stood for from the moment Banagher realized Frontal's true intentions, so Frontal suddenly believing he could convince Banagher(whose primary and effectively only character trait is being an unshakeable optimist) that nihilism is the only answer makes about as much sense as the Federation's founders writing a clause into constitution to give governmental recognition to space mutants if space mutants should happen to come into being.

Oh wait.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jan 28, 2016

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
What's this I hear about 0083 getting an Origin-esque remake?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

-Troika- posted:

What's this I hear about 0083 getting an Origin-esque remake?

Don't play with my heart like this.

I couldn't take it. I'd die from happiness, with both Origin, Thunderbolt, and a 0083 remake existing in the same timeline.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I can't even imagine what the point of a 0083 remake would be.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Besides injecting people with AIDS, of course.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
it has a manga currently running in gundam ace? i believe

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

muike posted:

it has a manga currently running in gundam ace? i believe

Ah.

I guess I could understand it if they do it after a full blown Origin adaption and not just the Char flashbacks if that's what they're planning but blehhhhhhhhhhh

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I doubt they'll adapt it. Z Define is more likely, and I don't think that will be adapted either. With the 40th anniversary coming up expect more oyw stuff!!

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
Finished episode 12 of ZZ. It's getting better but the flaws are getting more defined. Took a few episodes for Glemy to start showing his terrible side. He seemed okay at first. Roux and Elle are the best characters by far, and Ino seems to be relatively inoffensive.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Xinder posted:

Finished episode 12 of ZZ. It's getting better but the flaws are getting more defined. Took a few episodes for Glemy to start showing his terrible side. He seemed okay at first. Roux and Elle are the best characters by far, and Ino seems to be relatively inoffensive.

You missed Glemmy being a giant creeplord from his very first appearance, then? I mean, he started out trying to murder Roux while going 'my mama always told me that a man should prove his aggressiveness to a woman'. Kid has some scary crossed wires even before you get to the paedophilia and megalomania.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
He has some hilarious lines in the Dynasty Warriors Gundam games if you know about his creeper status now.

Also, Roux and Ellie are fantastic characters. Keep going.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I like Glemy even though his development gets weird in the second half due to the nature of the show's production.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Darth Walrus posted:

You missed Glemmy being a giant creeplord from his very first appearance, then? I mean, he started out trying to murder Roux while going 'my mama always told me that a man should prove his aggressiveness to a woman'. Kid has some scary crossed wires even before you get to the paedophilia and megalomania.

That didn't happen until he met Roux again though? At first he just sort of seemed to be in love with her. He wasn't super creepy until he caught up with her again a couple episodes later.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Srice posted:

I like Glemy even though his development gets weird in the second half due to the nature of the show's production.

If they made middle-to-end Glemy the Glemy from the start he'd be one of the most interesting Gundam villains.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Srice posted:

same, since i expect it wouldn't look as good and may or may not have better characters

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Srice posted:

I don't think 0083 is interesting enough to warrant a remake but a remake could do a lot of good for it. You have some major opportunities for rewrites to fix several characters, like throwing out or at least adjusting Nina's relationship with Gato so it's not something that springs up at the last possible moment and maybe actually giving some screentime to Cima's backstory(because Cima's backstory makes her a more interesting character than pretty much the entire rest of the cast).

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
In other news, Gundam Thunderbolt plays ridculously fast and loose with the MS designs. Since when do Graburos have a Bigro beam cannon and Z'Gok beam guns?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

-Troika- posted:

In other news, Gundam Thunderbolt plays ridculously fast and loose with the MS designs. Since when do Graburos have a Bigro beam cannon and Z'Gok beam guns?

According to the official Gundam encyclopaedia, that was planned for the production version. Guess the Zeon remnants completed it.

EDIT: Also, I see two new volumes have been translated this week. Yay!

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Jan 29, 2016

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Doesn't sound too crazy that someone would consider putting lasers on a thing.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Thunderbolt trip report:

The new volumes feature Darryl getting to kick rear end in an Acguy and Io getting to be a genuine hero for once.

:getin:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
G-Gundam episode 1, let see now,

drat THIS INTRO SONG IS UPBEAT AS poo poo YEAAAAH.

So uh, when'd Neo Spain steal Pizza from Neo Italy? Also, neo.

Hey Domon shops at the same place Judau does, they got the same space Michael Jackson Bad! jacket. Also, sweet dramatic cape.

Raaaaaaaaaain~

Am I the only guy constantly thinking of that Violence Jack clip with the foul mouthed dude here?

Man I understand the weird spandex sort of thing and the bracelits, but those shoulder pads just look dangerous for the wears eyes.

GRRRRRRRGGGGH REGULATIONS!

Cool. Slightly different.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I like how G Gundam has the highest level of technology of any series, except maybe Turn A. The colonies are all these insane open air theme park things that just have force fields around them, and there's a goddamn laser boxing ring around the entire earth.

I assumed that was an abstraction until later when Domon bounces off of it to gain speed. So it is not only really there and that big, but actually bouncy somehow.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Begemot posted:

I like how G Gundam has the highest level of technology of any series, except maybe Turn A. The colonies are all these insane open air theme park things that just have force fields around them, and there's a goddamn laser boxing ring around the entire earth.

I assumed that was an abstraction until later when Domon bounces off of it to gain speed. So it is not only really there and that big, but actually bouncy somehow.

G Gundam tech is pretty insane because it basically operates on super robot science instead of the flimsy hard sci-fi of the Universal Century. If you looked at it from a hard sci-fi perspective instead of the super robot science it's intended to be, the Mobile Trace System is absolutely bonkers. Can you imagine how complex a Mobile Fighter's limbs and joints have to be to perfectly mirror a martial artist's movements?

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Is there a place to watch thunderbolt? I really like the art style and the animation and I want to check it out.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Does the gundam channel on YouTube have it?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

The_Rob posted:

Is there a place to watch thunderbolt? I really like the art style and the animation and I want to check it out.

They had a window of about two weeks where you could watch the episode on Youtube with subtitles. It'll probably be the same for episode 2, initial release in Japan, and then a two week subbed window.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

So that is no longer available then?

Bummer

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ninjewtsu posted:

So that is no longer available then?

Bummer

Not on youtube, anyway.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I found one on daily motion but it had spanish subtitles.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62UzLgdb1GQ

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Lyla looking like she's either going into shock or she just smelled an incredibly gross fart that someone ripped. By the looks of it, Mouar might have sharted.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Speaking of Lila:

Gen Urobuchi posted:

How could Director Tomino allow such a beautiful, booby character casually die?

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Well, I finished Zeta.

Jesus Christ. Rest in peace everybody.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!

Dangerous Person posted:

Well, I finished Zeta.

Jesus Christ. Rest in peace everybody.

There's a reason why ZZ is whiplash if you go straight into it and aren't expecting wacky antics.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Srice posted:

well, you have the dumbfuck reason that sunrise would probably go with, i.e. "back when 0083 was created it was a showcase for the best animation we could do so we're redoing 0083 as a showcase for the best we can do now! :downs:"

but there's also the fact that 0083 was really, really, really badly written and is only worth watching for the animation, the fight scenes, and the sick as hell robot designs (the GP-03 Dendrobium Orchis is no-poo poo unironically my favorite Gundam robot), and a remake would give them the chance to fix the writing and make it straight up good instead of almost-good

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

nina purpleton could use a rewrite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

GulagDolls posted:

nina purpleton could use a rewrite

I really want to know who thought her suddenly sprouting a long-standing relationship with Gato was a good idea in the context of the story as had been told so far. Like nobody thought it would be weird that Nina was on a ship that was chasing after Gato for the entire series and never seeming distraught or conflicted until the very end when suddenly this comes out? Like she saw Gato trying to drop a colony and went "Oh my god, we've been chasing after *THAT* Nightmare of Solomon Anavel Gato this whole time???? Wow, I thought we were chasing after a different Nightmare of Solomon Anavel Gato, not my old boyfriend the Nightmare of Solomon Anavel Gato".