Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

CombineThresher posted:

Did this actually work? I still like Chikara and follow what I can, but it doesn't seem like white meat babyface hero Icarus really clicked with the fans all that much.

I'm glad Chikara is returning to form in terms of wacky comedy, because the convoluted, up-its-own-rear end comic book storyline stuff they were doing just got in the way of what made them fun and refreshing in the first place.

Icarus' face turn worked in the lead-up to the shutdown and through the feud with the Flood, but it did start to lose steam into 2015. The face turn was sort of de facto because the fans were sick of Kingston's title reign, but it became official when Icarus was the first roster member to step up and try to keep the faith alive during the hiatus by staging the fan rallies and whatnot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

gfanikf posted:

Details on the date of ~HOSS OFF~ please.

i have absolutely no idea, i'm sorry. i just remember watching smackdown one week out of curiosity and going "hey this match is pretty good!". i think it was in may? idk. ryback does a backpack stunner.

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing
Who invented the Springboard Stunner, and has it replaced the Reverse Rana as the move every indy guy must do?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Smoking Crow posted:

I'm not sure if it was before or after Cena/Cesaro, but Rollins/Neville loving owned

Yeah, that was really underrated and I'm surprised at the amount of time they gave it.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

what do people; either in the business or otherwise, think about the bullet club/young bucks/etc using too sweet/clique sign & suck it? Does anyone care or does it really bother someone like kevin nash or shawn michaels/hhh

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Nash probably thinks it's hilarious.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

hall endorses it on the reg

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
What are your last favourite wrestling tropes? Mine is the one about Vince never asking you to do anything he wouldn't do himself. As if that's a guage for normal / healthy vendor.

Also, unhip white guy does wacky dance / rap. Terrible.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Smoking Crow posted:

What are your opinions on wrestling halls of fame? Which one is the most legitimate in your opinion

Whenever I talk to my politically-inclined friends, I always prefix Donald Trump with "WWE Hall of Famer".

TNA's isn't that bad, even if it's only full of five people, of which three went to WWE and one's taking an extended leave from the ring because his neck is hosed in a hundred different pieces.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Tweak posted:

what do people; either in the business or otherwise, think about the bullet club/young bucks/etc using too sweet/clique sign & suck it? Does anyone care or does it really bother someone like kevin nash or shawn michaels/hhh

WWE tried to trademark the Too Sweet thing, so yeah, it bothers the gently caress out of someone.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

ICHIBAHN posted:

What are your last favourite wrestling tropes? Mine is the one about Vince never asking you to do anything he wouldn't do himself. As if that's a guage for normal / healthy vendor.

Do you mean real stuff or booking tropes?

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Daniel Bryan had a gauntlet match on raw that started with Swagger, then Cesaro, then Ryback... the Cesaro part of that match was amazing. I'm pretty sure I linked it a ton of pages ago in this thread. But that was in July 2013.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

ZoDiAC_ posted:

Do you mean real stuff or booking tropes?

Both

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

freeranger posted:

Daniel Bryan had a gauntlet match on raw that started with Swagger, then Cesaro, then Ryback... the Cesaro part of that match was amazing. I'm pretty sure I linked it a ton of pages ago in this thread. But that was in July 2013.

https://twitter.com/epitasis/status/373239535028547584

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

TinTower posted:

Whenever I talk to my politically-inclined friends, I always prefix Donald Trump with "WWE Hall of Famer".

TNA's isn't that bad, even if it's only full of five people, of which three went to WWE and one's taking an extended leave from the ring because his neck is hosed in a hundred different pieces.

I wanted to know more about stuff like the Pro Wrestling Hall of Fame or the Cauliflower Alley Club

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Memento posted:

WWE tried to trademark the Too Sweet thing, so yeah, it bothers the gently caress out of someone.
They didn't even really try. They filed and then did exactly nothing with it, and the petition expired quietly. Might as well have been a work

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

ICHIBAHN posted:

"As heel authority figure, I'm going to make sure you never, ever become champion if it's the last thing I do! ...So anyway, you have a title match."

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Basic Chunnel posted:

They didn't even really try. They filed and then did exactly nothing with it, and the petition expired quietly. Might as well have been a work

It strikes me as exactly the type of petulant thing that Vince would do though. File it in a fit of pique, then either get legal advice saying "this will never work you're wasting time and money" or forget about it completely.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Gavok posted:

"As heel authority figure, I'm going to make sure you never, ever become champion if it's the last thing I do! ...So anyway, you have a title match."

This was one of the things the Daniel Bryan push did really well-the Authority wanted no part of him as champion, and he only got put into the title picture in storyline because he hijacked the show until they gave him what he wanted. Now Roman could get the title shot at WrestleMania because

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

TL posted:

This was one of the things the Daniel Bryan push did really well-the Authority wanted no part of him as champion, and he only got put into the title picture in storyline because he hijacked the show until they gave him what he wanted. Now Roman could get the title shot at WrestleMania because

I feel the absolute best angle to do the heel GM thing is Heyman/Benoit because not only did it make sense, but it had an ending where the face WON and got to move on with his life while making Heyman look like a total idiot in the eyes of everyone, especially McMahon. Even Bryan couldn't break free of the bullshit before his injury.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Remember when John Cena made Paul Heyman eat soap? Remember when Paul Heyman was smugging around backstage at ECW until OH MY GOD IT'S KURT ANGLE?

Paul Heyman was a cool GM.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

ICHIBAHN posted:

What are your last favourite wrestling tropes?

Authority figures, especially Vince, cutting promos about "You don't tell me what you want, I tell you what you want" like it's a tongue-in-cheek heel move for TV, and not exactly what they're actually doing in real life.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

ICHIBAHN posted:

"This isn't going to be a wrestling match, this'll be a fight!"

But I want a wrestling match.

And this is simply semantics, but "No holds barred" being another word for street fight. It should mean there's no submission moves banned :argh:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I hate ref bumps when they're so overused so it comes across as lazy booking to get cheap heat.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Writer Cath posted:

"This isn't going to be a wrestling match, this'll be a fight!"

But I want a wrestling match.

And this is simply semantics, but "No holds barred" being another word for street fight. It should mean there's no submission moves banned :argh:

There is a difference! In no holds barred you wrestle in your gear. In a Street Fight you wrestle in jeans and your merch shirt.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Oh, oh, I also am completely finished with heel authority figures in general.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

oldpainless posted:

I hate ref bumps when they're so overused so it comes across as lazy booking to get cheap heat.

Yep, very very rarely can a ref bump spot actually add tension and drama to a match, mostly it's cheap as hell and stupid.

That being said, anything that lets Brock Lesnar deadlift a human with one arm should probably be further encouraged.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I really, really hate matching a tiny guy with the biggest guy on the roster and doing the lazy rear end thing where the big guy no-sells everything and the little guy looks like a loving chump. There are lots of ways to do great big guy/little guy matches but WWE seems to know none of them.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

The babyface in peril/hot tag construct in WWE tag matches

Their tag division has been worse but man every tag match is booked the same and has been forever.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

50/50 booking. I know you cant compare New Japan to US Wrestling, but their stars are stars and they rarely ever lose. Their mid level guys are stars who rarely lose except to the top guys. Their jobbers are stars who never win, but somehow, the best of them are still stars.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

sticklefifer posted:

Authority figures, especially Vince, cutting promos about "You don't tell me what you want, I tell you what you want" like it's a tongue-in-cheek heel move for TV, and not exactly what they're actually doing in real life.

Relatedly, shoot/inside joke-based angles or promos that fall flat all the time because they're not presented in a way that the crowd might actually care about. Wrestling is so much like community theatre sometimes that it scares me.

Metroid Fitzgerald
Feb 13, 2012

B O O O O B S . . . !

ZoDiAC_ posted:

The babyface in peril/hot tag construct in WWE tag matches

Their tag division has been worse but man every tag match is booked the same and has been forever.

On that note, ad hoc tag teams consisting of main eventers regularly going over the tag team champs cleanly. Hasn't happened in awhile but I remember that constantly happening a few years back and made the WWE tag division a joke.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
This is kind of a weird semi-related question, but are there any tropes that you recognize as dumb as hell, but love anyway?

Mine is any time there's a "oh my god, this guy is so big, there is no way anyone can toss him out of the ring" moment at a Rumble or Battle Royale. I absolutely love this every time it happens.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Alain Post posted:

This is kind of a weird semi-related question, but are there any tropes that you recognize as dumb as hell, but love anyway?

Mine is any time there's a "oh my god, this guy is so big, there is no way anyone can toss him out of the ring" moment at a Rumble or Battle Royale. I absolutely love this every time it happens.

I'm still a huge fan of the "hot tag." When done right, and with the right guy in the right moment (see: Jason Jordan in NXT right now) it's electric.

Metroid Fitzgerald
Feb 13, 2012

B O O O O B S . . . !

Alain Post posted:

Any move, especially submission moves, is 10x more powerful when done on the announce table.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Alain Post posted:

When a heel backs away, acting all satisfied at his smartness until backing into a large face and slowly coming to realize he's hosed as he turns around.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Alain Post posted:

I love when people try to superplex Kevin Owens even though they should all know way better.

And yes, "you can't eliminate the Big Show, winner of zero Royal Rumbles in almost 20 years, because he is too big" is the best.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

ICHIBAHN posted:

The young bucks

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Shine posted:

And yes, "you can't eliminate the Big Show, winner of zero Royal Rumbles in almost 20 years, because he is too big" is the best.

I'll have you know that Big Show won the Rumble in 2000 and THAT'S CRAZY!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Writer Cath posted:

Oh, oh, I also am completely finished with heel authority figures in general.

Except for Dario Cueto, who owns.