Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Entropic posted:

Who is it that's actually in favour of the reserve list at this point? Is it the east coast Vintage community (all eight of them)?

Nobody in the vintage community is in favor of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

JerryLee posted:

There have been one or two people in here who unjokingly defended the reserved list on the basis that they didn't want their "investment" to be revealed for the fairy gold that it was (my words rather than theirs, obviously).

Excuse me but Fairy Gold should be reserved for all of the useless Secluded Glens spec'd I got yelled at for making fun of

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

rabidsquid posted:

Excuse me but Fairy Gold should be reserved for all of the useless Secluded Glens spec'd I got yelled at for making fun of

Name and shame. Lets all laugh at the speculators together friend.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I don't remember because I don't keep track of that sort of thing but I might accidentally provoke them into "well actually,"-ing in to correct me about the details

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

JerryLee posted:

There have been one or two people in here who unjokingly defended the reserved list on the basis that they didn't want their "investment" to be revealed for the fairy gold that it was (my words rather than theirs, obviously).

But if the RL is abolished it would probably make selling these cards easier...

Yeah but there's an arguement that the conditions which led WotC to make the Reserved List promise in the early 90s are no longer a concern. I think that if they abolished it and somehow that went to court, Hasbro would easily win the case, if it's not dismissed under the fact that it should have been considered a corporate policy by any parties who stand to lose money from the RL being removed.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Olothreutes posted:

Hasbro's legal department.

E: I don't think you could win a case like this against WotC/Hasbro, but I think you could convince a lawyer to try and that's probably sufficient for Hasbro to want to avoid it.

Yup. The reason, beyond some hollow bullcrap of "honoring their word", is that there will absolutely be at least one person, and probably many, who will be deluded and angry enough to bring this to court.

They apparently don't think it's worth the legal fees, and they're happier if everyone's playing standard than if they're playing legacy, anyway.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Lightning Lord posted:

Hmm, I was under the impression (I probably read an article I can't remember now somewhere) that game stores like Star City are concerned that if the RL is abolished, their stock would drop in value, like the reaction to Chronicles. If that's not the case, that makes WotC's stance even dumber.

Star City had an article years ago about meetings WOTC took with big stores, big collectors etc. and they (SCG) said they were in favor of abolishing the RL. They recently reiterated on reddit they're still all for it. It has to be some crazy gently caress like Dan Bock who owns that 9.5 graded Lotus and other crazy high end poo poo who are screaming. Nobody who is willing to sleeve up a Black Lotus in a 60 card deck or a cube things the RL is a good thing.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

GeneX posted:

Yup. The reason, beyond some hollow bullcrap of "honoring their word", is that there will absolutely be at least one person, and probably many, who will be deluded and angry enough to bring this to court.

They apparently don't think it's worth the legal fees, and they're happier if everyone's playing standard than if they're playing legacy, anyway.

I really do think the legal fees Wizbro would pay to get this laughed out of court would amount to less than they'd make off Vintage Masters, but yeah they're almost 100% focused on standard anyway.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Lightning Lord posted:

Yeah but there's an arguement that the conditions which led WotC to make the Reserved List promise in the early 90s are no longer a concern. I think that if they abolished it and somehow that went to court, Hasbro would easily win the case, if it's not dismissed under the fact that it should have been considered a corporate policy by any parties who stand to lose money from the RL being removed.

I don't think that it matters if the conditions are no longer a concern. A promise was made (the reserve list) and some people have made financial decisions based on that promise. If they renege on the promise and it costs these people money there is a case, however flimsy it is. I mean you'd have to be able to prove when/how much you bought a card for in order to determine market price and how much you are out and it's really a nightmare to actually consider it in any real sense, but lawyers aren't interested in how bad a case is if they can simply avoid litigation at all.

I think the reserve list is dumb. But I can see why in a society that will sue over coffee being too hot they won't risk it over some cardboard.

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jan 29, 2016

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I strongly get the impression that wotc specifically don't want to abolish it and the legal concerns are just a nice excuse, like my girlfriend saying she would love to have soda but it's too close to bed time. We both know it's not too close to bed time.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

GeneX posted:

The lesson out of this is don't touch standard.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

jassi007 posted:

Star City had an article years ago about meetings WOTC took with big stores, big collectors etc. and they (SCG) said they were in favor of abolishing the RL. They recently reiterated on reddit they're still all for it. It has to be some crazy gently caress like Dan Bock who owns that 9.5 graded Lotus and other crazy high end poo poo who are screaming. Nobody who is willing to sleeve up a Black Lotus in a 60 card deck or a cube things the RL is a good thing.

Good to know.

Olothreutes posted:

I don't think that it matters if the conditions are no longer a concern. A promise was made (the reserve list) and some people have made financial decisions based on that promise. If they renege on the promise and it costs these people money there is a case, however flimsy it is. I mean you'd have to be able to prove when/how much you bought a card for in order to determine market price and how much you are out and it's really a nightmare to actually consider it in any real sense, but lawyers aren't interested in how bad a case is if they can simply avoid litigation at all.

I think the reserve list is dumb. But I can see why in a society that will sue over coffee being too hot they won't risk it over some cardboard.

I imagine if Hasbro's lawyers think they can win this case easily, which they probably could, they would advise that it's worth the minor risk of nuisance lawsuits if WotC wanted to reprint the Power 9 at common.

Have you researched that case at all? The coffee was hot to a point where it seared human flesh badly, and the lawsuit was only for medical expenses. McDonald's even admitted they were heating their coffee to a near nuclear level.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Olothreutes posted:

Don't use the McDonald's coffee case as an example of a frivolous lawsuit, because it wasn't.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Judges really don't like to precede before flimsy cases either tbh

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Cactrot posted:

Don't use the McDonald's coffee case as an example of a frivolous lawsuits, because it wasn't.

:agreed:

Instead use the case where the guy broke into someone's house, fell down some stairs, and broke his leg.

Because he won that lawsuit.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

TheKingofSprings posted:

The lesson out of this is don't touch standard.

4c rally is actually a legitimately fun deck to play, as is esper dragons

infinite value is fun, and flat counterspell does wonders for making a control deck feel powerful

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I have only ever sat in on civil court a few times and every case felt pretty inane to me but I am not sure you guys understand how infrequent these frivolous lawsuits make it far or for big money

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Judge chat:
I , and other judges I know, do this because we love this game. It's stupid and lame to care about things on the Internet, but I do love Magic. I teach people to play, I help connect players, and I want them to have a good time and enjoy themselves. I judge because I like to give back to the community. I do it to make players feel welcomed, especially players who might not normally sit down at an FNM or GP. With a judge there they know someone's looking out for them. There are problems with WOTC, there are problems with the community, and there are problems with the judge program, but for all its faults I can tell you most judges do it because they love Magic and want it to succeed. That's why the recent events were so heartbreaking. It really felt like a betrayal. I like being compensated not because I can make a living judging, which you pretty much have to be L3+ to even attempt, but because they allow me to judge more. My trips to GPs two thousand miles away are financed by my comp, and sometimes I still lose money. Being an L2 has made it a lot easier to travel, since I get comped $2-300 a day instead of $50-100.

Judging is fun. It really is. I love helping people. I love interacting with players. When I fail a player it bothers me-- at Pittsburgh a player came up to me after her Commander pod finished and said that she couldn't find her deckbox with $1000 of Grixis Twin in it, and despite trying for more than an hour I couldn't help her. Judges may be masochists for putting up with all this poo poo, but we do it for a reason.

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator
For GP's the player meeting starts at the same time (9am) as the GP right? And if you preregistered you don't need to be there on friday, correct? Sorry for using this thread as my personal FAQ, it's my first GP and I really don't want to accidentally miss the whole thing

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Judge chat:
I , and other judges I know, do this because we love this game. It's stupid and lame to care about things on the Internet, but I do love Magic. I teach people to play, I help connect players, and I want them to have a good time and enjoy themselves. I judge because I like to give back to the community. I do it to make players feel welcomed, especially players who might not normally sit down at an FNM or GP. With a judge there they know someone's looking out for them. There are problems with WOTC, there are problems with the community, and there are problems with the judge program, but for all its faults I can tell you most judges do it because they love Magic and want it to succeed. That's why the recent events were so heartbreaking. It really felt like a betrayal. I like being compensated not because I can make a living judging, which you pretty much have to be L3+ to even attempt, but because they allow me to judge more. My trips to GPs two thousand miles away are financed by my comp, and sometimes I still lose money. Being an L2 has made it a lot easier to travel, since I get comped $2-300 a day instead of $50-100.

Judging is fun. It really is. I love helping people. I love interacting with players. When I fail a player it bothers me-- at Pittsburgh a player came up to me after her Commander pod finished and said that she couldn't find her deckbox with $1000 of Grixis Twin in it, and despite trying for more than an hour I couldn't help her. Judges may be masochists for putting up with all this poo poo, but we do it for a reason.

I just think it sucks how transparently wotc is about viewing the judges as expendable people willing to do work they don't consider valuable. I get why people are willing to do it but I think it's extremely garbage how the position is treated by the company.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Since Summer Bloom getting banned I've been tinkering with UB Mill because I hate fun. In like, a couple dozen games, I've had two T2 kills and several T3 kills. And that's aside from making people super salty with Surgical and Snapcaster.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Mikujin posted:

Since Summer Bloom getting banned I've been tinkering with UB Mill because I hate fun. In like, a couple dozen games, I've had two T2 kills and several T3 kills. And that's aside from making people super salty with Surgical and Snapcaster.

How does it win T2?

I can't fathom how you do that, Hedron Crab?

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jan 29, 2016

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
That coffee lawsuit is an amazing shibboleth for ignorance (to be fair, I too was ignorant about it at one time).

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

rabidsquid posted:

I just think it sucks how transparently wotc is about viewing the judges as expendable people willing to do work they don't consider valuable. I get why people are willing to do it but I think it's extremely garbage how the position is treated by the company.

Hey, I understand that completely. To be honest I kind of feel the same way, especially as recent events have shown that the supposed "independence" of the judge program is vastly overstated. As long as WOTC wants us to have a degree of latitude, I can understand a hands off approach, but you don't get to both let TOs pay judges and occasionally toss a foil bone our way and expect us all to fall in line at the drop of a hat. I definitely judge despite WOTC's handling of the program, not because of it.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

JerryLee posted:

That coffee lawsuit is an amazing shibboleth for ignorance (to be fair, I too was ignorant about it at one time).

everyone is bc the media explicitly reported it as "haha look at this dumb bitch" instead of "oh poo poo this lady had loving burns and the coffee was actually super above what it was supposed to be at"

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

How does it win T2?

A couple of Archive Traps off their fetch, probably.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Count Bleck posted:

How does it win T2?

I can't fathom how you do that, Hebron Crab?
Hedron Crab, and Archive Traps. One of the games my opponent was on dredge and did T1 Faithless -> T2 Wayfinder. I've basically been preying on every deck that isn't mono-R and bogles (although the latter I've got nearly a 50% win rate on the play) thanks to 4 x main deck Surgicals.

E: Mill is obviously not long for this T4 format world.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Count Bleck posted:

How does it win T2?

Opponent on the draw. (53 cards)

T1: do nothing.
Opponent T1: Draw (52), cracks a fetch (51), 4x Archive Trap (0)

T2: also do nothing.
Opponent T2: Win!

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

mandatory lesbian posted:

everyone is bc the media explicitly reported it as "haha look at this dumb bitch" instead of "oh poo poo this lady had loving burns and the coffee was actually super above what it was supposed to be at"

It's one of the easiest examples to show just how much corporations can brainwash the general public.

Like, people who use that as an example are defending McDonalds over a woman who required reconstructive surgery because they decided to keep their coffee way too hot.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
what is the ev of a pack of Oath? I somehow opened a box and came out ahead $50 by starcity prices?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

GonSmithe posted:

It's one of the easiest examples to show just how much corporations can brainwash the general public.

Like, people who use that as an example are defending McDonalds over a woman who required reconstructive surgery because they decided to keep their coffee way too hot.

It's a great right wing Personal Responsibility™ talking point too. We're at a point in this country where people are suing for coffee being hot! Next thing you know we'll sue for potato chips being too salty!

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

Mikujin posted:

Mikujin, you know me, and you know of my love for bullshit decks. When you say things like the above why don't you just post a decklist along with it instead of forcing me to beg you for it like a dog?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

GonSmithe posted:

yeah, pretty much everything about it pisses me off to no end, corporate brainwashing is a good way of putting it

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Gensuki posted:

what is the ev of a pack of Oath? I somehow opened a box and came out ahead $50 by starcity prices?

Not really relevant unless you're star city, is it?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Because I am a smart person I converted my Scalding Tarns into cards to play Boom // Bust Zoo. I make good decisions when it comes to decks with a card that says "destroy all lands" in it.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Mikujin posted:

Splash white for Path, dare them into actually searching for that land.

Alris posted:

Mikujin, you know me, and you know of my love for bullshit decks. When you say things like the above why don't you just post a decklist along with it instead of forcing me to beg you for it like a dog?

I've had a Modern Esper Mill list built for a couple of years, it's probably not great in the grand scheme of things but I've been surprisingly successful with it. Sideboard probably needs to be revisited though, maybe some Pithing Needles or extra Ghost Quarters for the Tron matchup.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

JerryLee posted:

I have learned two things now, both that the lawsuit wasn't nearly as frivolous as I had thought, and that shibboleth is a word. Neat.

My apologies for using a poor example of a frivolous lawsuit. Pretend instead that I had used a good one. I still think we all understood that the point was that Hasbro would like to avoid frivolous litigation through inaction rather than risking it by acting. I'm not sure if Hasbro could make more money with a paper vintage masters that blows open the reserve list despite the legal costs, but I'm sure that someone at Hasbro/Wizards has done that math.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Opponent on the draw. (53 cards)

T1: do nothing.
Opponent T1: Draw (52), cracks a fetch (51), 4x Archive Trap (0)

T2: also do nothing.
Opponent T2: Win!

Naw you play the four archive traps in response to their serum visions after the fetch for a T1 win.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
The reserved list continues to exist because there are people out there with multiple sets of high quality power as investment. They're dumb people but they do exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Entropic posted:

Who is it that's actually in favour of the reserve list at this point? Is it the east coast Vintage community (all eight of them)?

Everyone around here wants the reserve list abolished so there are more people playing their format. Getting new players until the format is getting harder and harder.

• Locked thread