Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it

ZakAce posted:

I'll give you the lyrics in 'Cool For The Summer' as they are a bit on-the-nose, but bland production? With that raging inferno of a guitar line? Come on.

I loved pretty much all of the best-of list - when it comes out on Youtube I'll go into detail about why I liked the songs - but #1 especially, holy poo poo.

It'd work if Demi wasn't howling over it, but when I think of production, I can't help but take into account the tenor of the singer against the backing track, not just the track all by itself. Demi's full-throated approach turns that chorus into white noise. Best part of the song, which I do genuinely like, is the bridge, where she's not blowing out any aural or emotional variance the track could have had. (This is also the reason Wrecking Ball comes so close and yet so far. If it was sung by someone else, it could be a really compelling pop song! But not Miley...)

Different strokes different folks though, I totally get it. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the number 1 isn't another Bruno Mars disaster is it, I continue to not see what Todd sees in him

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Alaois posted:

the number 1 isn't another Bruno Mars disaster is it, I continue to not see what Todd sees in him

He likes when Bruno Mars gets his funk on. Tresure & Uptown Funk both own and I'm sad that you don't care for them.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Testekill posted:

He likes when Bruno Mars gets his funk on. Tresure & Uptown Funk both own and I'm sad that you don't care for them.

maybe I'd like Uptown Funk more if I didn't first hear it 5 billion times as TNT bumper music and then it was pointed out to me that it basically sounds like it was made precisely FOR television bumpers

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Bruno Mars is mostly fine. I fuckin' loathe Grenade on every possible level, but his retro funk stuff is good and cool.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Rewatched the new hbomberguy and I have two reactions (beyond the usual :neckbeard: )

1) HBG looks like a small child

2) It really bugs me that Rocking Whatsisnuts's show title is, according to the Greek characters used, "Rphcking Phhilphsphphy." Like goddam, dude, you wanna look smart at least learn what the moon runes you're using in your terrible logo actually are!

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*

The Vosgian Beast posted:

"Goons defend Star Wars prequels" is a lot like "Goons love House of Leaves". A few goons do, and will occasionally mention it, and then fifty other goons jump on them to talk about how wrong they are and how they can't believe all these mad, mad people who have unacceptable beliefs come to Something Awful.

I've endured enough Star Wars prequels discussions to know about the former, but the later is a new one for me. I didn't know Goons had a thing for/against House of Leaves.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.
My opinion on The Force Awakens is that it is a movie that was released in 2015. FACT.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Puppy Time posted:

1) HBG looks like a small child
HBG is actually a weird British doppleganger of me, and it freaks me the gently caress out.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Top ten best, surely? He released his worst a few weeks ago.

Yeah, I meant best. Oops.

Jay O posted:

Yeah, this is the most I've ever agreed with Todd's worst list and then disagreed with his best list ("Shut Up and Dance" sounds like pure faux-indie rock commercial plastic to me, and "Cool for the Summer" approaches lesbian curiosity with horribly unsexy phoney lameness on top of bland production), but that's really good because it's indicative of a strong year for pop music. When all our favorites are basically the same, it's a pretty good indicator that everything else that year was lame-to-forgettable-to-obnoxious, so that's no good. (Last year was a prime example.) When we disagree strongly on the best of the year stuff, it means there was a lot of quality product for different tastes to go around. Conversely, when all our least favorites are basically the same, it means the really awful stuff was so noticeable because the year was otherwise pretty nice. (This year!) When our least favorites are different, it means HOLY poo poo THERE WAS A LOT OF GARBAGE THIS YEAR.

Well, I fully agree about those two songs, but not so much about the year in general. I feel like I'm the only one who thought 2014 was pretty good and 2015 was miserable. "Rather Be" and "Uptown Funk" are two of my favorite songs not just of 2014, but of the decade, and there were lots of other songs I liked. 2015 just didn't do it for me.

quote:

Also, he mentions that "Run Away With Me" is a fantastic song despite not making the Year End Hot 100, and I strongly encourage anyone who loves intensely '80s-infused dance pop and ballads to check out its host album Emotion, because it is prime catnip on that level. Loved it.

Never heard the song until today, but I just checked it out and... yeah it's actually really good. Might have to give the album a listen. Thanks.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Mischalaniouse posted:

I've endured enough Star Wars prequels discussions to know about the former, but the later is a new one for me. I didn't know Goons had a thing for/against House of Leaves.

It's had time to cool down, but a few years ago people here were kind of insane about it, yeah.

I've def. seen people be insane about the prequels (usually the same people that think "Han Shot First" is a significant issue) but not so much in this thread. Maybe if you brought it up in PYF or something. That's where the goonier goons are these days, right?

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF

Jay O posted:

It'd work if Demi wasn't howling over it, but when I think of production, I can't help but take into account the tenor of the singer against the backing track, not just the track all by itself. Demi's full-throated approach turns that chorus into white noise. Best part of the song, which I do genuinely like, is the bridge, where she's not blowing out any aural or emotional variance the track could have had. (This is also the reason Wrecking Ball comes so close and yet so far. If it was sung by someone else, it could be a really compelling pop song! But not Miley...)

Different strokes different folks though, I totally get it. :)

Oh, that makes sense. Great.

Also, if anyone dislikes Uptown Funk! or Shut Up and Dance because of overplay, I don't blame them. I'm lucky that I can control how much I listen to songs so that they don't get ruined for me, but I can understand how that happens.

More songchat once the videos are on Youtube.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Puppy Time posted:

"Rphcking Phhilphsphphy."

This perfectly encapsulates what that guy is like: a continuous spray of spittle.

blackmarketlimb
Dec 27, 2005
On a topic relevant to Baywatching, Kelly Slater apparently saved a woman and her baby from drowning in Hawaii.

Slade has become Mitch.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !
Channel Awesome has had it's Youtube monitization taken away, as well as other features, like videos being more than 15 minutes long.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bC3NIdiZF_E

They are pretty much hosed if they can't get this overturned, as those restrictions last for six months. And apparantly, they're not the only ones.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
YouTube: We're not just the shittiest name in video hosting, we're also the only one!

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
In the year of our Lord 2016, it kinda boggles my mind that Internet Critics still act shocked and/or upset that their works are flagged/sanctioned/whatever'd, especially when their content is "Major chunks of someone else's content that either cuts to my face, or just has me talking over that content the entire runtime".

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

The best thing this thread has done is introduce me to this relevant video:
http://youtubedoubler.com/?video1=JQfHdasuWtI&start1=539&video2=X2WH8mHJnhM&start2=0&authorName=Self+destruction

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Jimbot posted:

I'll never get over that blue blue room. That's a whole lot of blue.
My landlady's some kind of feng shui master. There's books about healing crystals and homeopathy everywhere.

That said, starting in March I'm moving back home and slowly converting the disused garage into a set. So if there's a colour you prefer I can start working on that now.

What's that? Red? Red and black? Anarchocommunist colour scheme? Great idea!

kaleidolia
Apr 25, 2012

Bad Wolf posted:

Channel Awesome has had it's Youtube monitization taken away, as well as other features, like videos being more than 15 minutes long.

They are pretty much hosed if they can't get this overturned, as those restrictions last for six months. And apparantly, they're not the only ones.

I thought they were doing those skits so they didn't have to use footage? Guess that didn't work out too well.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

kaleidolia posted:

I thought they were doing those skits so they didn't have to use footage? Guess that didn't work out too well.

Doug's stuff is also hosted on another provider. This doesn't affect him much.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Bad Wolf posted:

Noted white supremacist woman hater Sargon of Akkad shows up in the comments to defend youtube. I guess he's a nostalgia critic fan.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Hbomberguy posted:

My landlady's some kind of feng shui master. There's books about healing crystals and homeopathy everywhere.

That said, starting in March I'm moving back home and slowly converting the disused garage into a set. So if there's a colour you prefer I can start working on that now.

Make it a red/black gradient and we're in business.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Let'em burn and fade away.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Jack Gladney posted:

Noted white supremacist woman hater Sargon of Akkad shows up in the comments to defend youtube. I guess he's a nostalgia critic fan.

That's kind of a weird assumption to make.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Mraagvpeine posted:

That's kind of a weird assumption to make.

We can now also assume Richard Dawkins is a nostalgia critic fan.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Isn't criticism protected under free speech laws, or something?

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Hbomberguy posted:

Do a mural of your avatar.

Augus posted:

It's considered "fair use," so yeah, even with the mountain of clips, unless they're like displaying the entire show, it should probably be acceptable use, if I understand the laws correctly. I am not a lawyer.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Augus posted:

Yes, but two things: one, that doesn't mean that the status of the critic wont be challenged and two, youtube is a private enterprise. Basically, you don't decide whether or not something falls under Fair Use, the law does, and many videos probably wouldn't make the cut. And secondly, even then, that law only protects you from being sued, it doesn't mean that youtube/google has to use those standards. They can be a hell of a lot stricter if they want to.

e X fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jan 29, 2016

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

e X posted:

Yes, but two things: one, that doesn't mean that the status of the critic wont be challenged and two, youtube is a private enterprise. Basically, you don't decide whether or not something falls under Fair Use, the law does, and many videos probably wouldn't make the cut. And secondly, even then, that law only protects you from being sued, it doesn't mean that youtube/google has to use those standards. They can be a hell of a lot stricter if they want to.

Not even the law, the courts decide if something is fair use or not on a case by case basis. You can use past decisions to determine if something you're doing would probably pass a fair use defense or not, but there is no explicit black and white definition of fair use, and purposely so.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Todd's best-of is up for everyone now.

Demi Lovato has ALWAYS been the best of the Disney expats, IMO. Ariana oversings to the point where she's indecipherable, Miley is trying way, waaaaaay too hard to be cool and edgy, and Selena is boring as poo poo and has some of the laziest lyrics I've ever heard.

emeriin
Feb 1, 2015
edit: never mind

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

ninjahedgehog posted:

Todd's best-of is up for everyone now.

oh cool swee-

gently caress MACKLEMORE

e: okay nevermind, Big Sean and E-40 are here to make everything better

Alaois fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jan 29, 2016

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF
List time! I already dissected the list on my blog, so it's potted summary time.

10) gently caress Macklemore? More like gently caress YES Macklemore. Haters all the way to the left, please. Not saying people can't criticise the guy (for one, he's a major dork), but I think he gets way too much hate. The only nitpick I have here is that I wish Todd had mentioned the hip-hop legends on the track: Kool Moe Dee, Grandmaster Caz and Melle Mel.

9) I have 1989 on my iTunes, so I've listened to this song a lot. I like it, it's pretty.

8) Yes, Elle King is related to Rob Schneider, but she was brought up by her mum, so don't let him get in the way. Besides, this song is fun.

7) Ah, Big Sean. This song is too stupid to hate.

6) Yay, The Weeknd. (Although I like 'The Hills' a lot more than Todd does).

5) Some people think this song is boring: not me.

4) Diplo may be an obnoxious dickhead, but he knows how to craft a good beat.

3) I don't care if this song is too 'commercial' or w/e, I'm too busy bopping.

2) Remember when Demi Lovato was boring? I'm sure even people who don't like this song can agree that it's better than 'I Kissed A Girl'?

Hon mentions:
I've listened to 'Hello' properly now, and this song gives me the shivers. No wonder Adele can't properly replicate the singing on this song when she does it live.
Carly Rae Jepsen's management are incompetent, end of.
Still love Uptown Funk!

1) Oh holy poo poo YES. I love this song so much.

Man, I like pretty much all of the songs here. That's never happened before.

(Link to the post on my blog if anyone's interested: https://zakace.wordpress.com/2016/01/28/todd-in-the-shadows-best-songs-of-2015-list-commentary/)

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Alaois posted:

oh cool swee-

gently caress MACKLEMORE

Geez. Downtown was pretty much the only thing I liked on the list. Sounded weird the first time I heard it, really grew on me. That and "Here" by Alessia Cara were the two big pop songs I really liked this year.

Also, Todd liking Taylor Swift was something I was prepared for. Todd becoming a huge Justin Bieber apologist? That has kinda blind-sided me. He is still terrible, and his success in 2015 pissed me right off.

radlum
May 13, 2013

ZakAce posted:

List time! I already dissected the list on my blog, so it's potted summary time.

10) gently caress Macklemore? More like gently caress YES Macklemore. Haters all the way to the left, please. Not saying people can't criticise the guy (for one, he's a major dork), but I think he gets way too much hate. The only nitpick I have here is that I wish Todd had mentioned the hip-hop legends on the track: Kool Moe Dee, Grandmaster Caz and Melle Mel.

9) I have 1989 on my iTunes, so I've listened to this song a lot. I like it, it's pretty.

8) Yes, Elle King is related to Rob Schneider, but she was brought up by her mum, so don't let him get in the way. Besides, this song is fun.

7) Ah, Big Sean. This song is too stupid to hate.

6) Yay, The Weeknd. (Although I like 'The Hills' a lot more than Todd does).

5) Some people think this song is boring: not me.

4) Diplo may be an obnoxious dickhead, but he knows how to craft a good beat.

3) I don't care if this song is too 'commercial' or w/e, I'm too busy bopping.

2) Remember when Demi Lovato was boring? I'm sure even people who don't like this song can agree that it's better than 'I Kissed A Girl'?

Hon mentions:
I've listened to 'Hello' properly now, and this song gives me the shivers. No wonder Adele can't properly replicate the singing on this song when she does it live.
Carly Rae Jepsen's management are incompetent, end of.
Still love Uptown Funk!

1) Oh holy poo poo YES. I love this song so much.

Man, I like pretty much all of the songs here. That's never happened before.

(Link to the post on my blog if anyone's interested: https://zakace.wordpress.com/2016/01/28/todd-in-the-shadows-best-songs-of-2015-list-commentary/)

Agree with pretty much everything here, except for the number 1, mostly because this was the first time I heard the song and I knew all the other songs on the list, including the Honorable Mentions. Still, pretty good list; the last couple of years I've liked Todd's list more.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

blackmarketlimb posted:

On a topic relevant to Baywatching, Kelly Slater apparently saved a woman and her baby from drowning in Hawaii.

Slade has become Mitch.

Kelly Slater seems like an awesome guy honestly, just not a very good actor. Good for him!

Bad Wolf posted:

This is a problem we've been dealing with for years now, and isn't an issue if you know how to work Youtube right. Phelan had the same thing happen to him a little bit ago, but he contacted the claimant and they were nice and released it. Basically if you limit the amount of disputes you have going at once, you limit your chances for a strike and don't run into this problem. But honestly, since becoming a network partner and making sure I don't use huge, unedited clips or lengthy pieces of music, I've not had a single claim on my account for new videos.

Also I find this video hilarious since Doug talks about how youtube sucks for not communicating and not being very good business people. Swap out "youtube" for "channel awesome" and it's the same. LOL

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

blackmarketlimb posted:

Slade has become Mitch.

I just had a thought. Imagine if Mitch went to work at Action Park - a place where the lifeguards had to rescue 30 people a day during the summer. He would have gotten SO many saves.

But of course he wouldn't have been paid enough - pretty much all the lifeguards at Action Park were minimum wage teenagers.

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF

radlum posted:

Agree with pretty much everything here, except for the number 1, mostly because this was the first time I heard the song and I knew all the other songs on the list, including the Honorable Mentions. Still, pretty good list; the last couple of years I've liked Todd's list more.

Yeah, the first time I listened to that song, I felt a bit underwhelmed. I read stuff on the Popjustice forums, so they'd been slobbering over that song for a while; by the time I got around to listening to it, it didn't initially live up to the hype. After a couple of listens, it started growing on me and now I think it's awesome. I do wish that the song had got a better video - the music and the image don't fit well together. Compare that to the video for Lady Gaga's 'The Edge of Glory': that video isn't great, but it fits the song and it has Clarence Clemons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
This is probably the first year my tastes have completely aligned with Todd's (outside of Big Sean, but it's entertainingly stupid)

And FourFiveSeconds is such a weirdly perfect song. It just works.

I am sick of Shut Up and Dance just due to overexposure. It's one of those songs that seems to transcend most modern music station genres so you hear it everywhere.

• Locked thread