Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Shageletic posted:

People that think that the Mujahadeen are responsible for anti-American terrorism are as about as dumb as people who think that an entire ethnicity are now terrorists because of a Westerner talking in a video, yes.

Well it took long enough but this thread finally got a defender for the american/saudi/pakistani radicalization of afghanistan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

Jagchosis posted:

Speaking of is your friend who did dead yet/has anything new to say

He's got a lot to say, yeah, but he's gonna wait until he gets home. He's not at the frontline anymore, though. I'll do an effortpost when he gets back and I chat with him in person. Want to clarify what all I can say, that sorta thing.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dusty Baker 2 posted:

He's got a lot to say, yeah, but he's gonna wait until he gets home. He's not at the frontline anymore, though. I'll do an effortpost when he gets back and I chat with him in person. Want to clarify what all I can say, that sorta thing.

What front was he fighting on? Along with the YPG International brigades? What nationality is he? Is he a Muslim? Asking for mom.

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

Friendly Tumour posted:

What front was he fighting on? Along with the YPG International brigades? What nationality is he? Is he a Muslim? Asking for mom.

He was near Kirkuk and Shingal along with a few others, and he was with the YBS most recently (PUK before that). He's an American, and no he is not Muslim. I'll be able to go into more detail once he's back; he's cleared me to say everything I've said here, btw.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dusty Baker 2 posted:

He was near Kirkuk and Shingal along with a few others, and he was with the YBS most recently (PUK before that). He's an American, and no he is not Muslim. I'll be able to go into more detail once he's back; he's cleared me to say everything I've said here, btw.

Cool! Can't wait! Hope he wasn't ethnically claensing!

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner
Not that it's a good omen, but people flocked into Spain from all over the world to help the leftists; in a time when travelling was much harder.
The apathy towards Kurds goes to show how we live in a post ideological world.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
If you're considered a terrorist organization because Turkey doesn't like you, you're probably good people.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

LL graduates from SA probations into real life probation.

Al-Saqr posted:

If a Turkish F-35 will keep him from posting here then it cant be all that bad for him to go.

Only if he's flying it.

GWBBQ posted:

My fellow Americans, remember when our Attorney General did the same poo poo and covered up topless statues in the Supreme Court? http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/nation/2002/01/29/statues.htm

I remember a pope (from a few hundred years ago, i think) once went around with a chisel and hammer doing impromptu castrations on various statues.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Panzeh posted:

If you're considered a terrorist organization because Turkey doesn't like you, you're probably good people.

You do realise that position is in itself an ideology?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Cippalippus posted:

The apathy towards Kurds goes to show how we live in a post ideological world.

Jihadism shows how we don't.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008

Panzeh posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkish_Hezbollah

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Dusty Baker 2 posted:

Very much looking forward to hearing his stories.:)

Anyway, news:
An interview with an Arab YPJ member, with English subtitles:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bve6Dci8EQU

Turkey is doing more sabre-rattling against the YPG:
http://www.voanews.com/content/turkey-threatens-military-action-against-syrian-kurds/3167056.html

16 Assyrian hostages were released by ISIL:
https://www.facebook.com/theacero.org/posts/516164958562585

Unity Conference kicks off in Êfrin: 150 delegates and 200 invited guests. Including Representatives, Tribal Leaders, Intellectuals, Politicians, Commanders and more people from: Azaz, Mare, Manbij, and Jarabulus:
https://www.reddit.com/r/syriancivilwar/comments/4389mq/unity_conference_kicks_off_in_%C3%AAfrin_150_delegates/
A whole bunch of links in the first post there:

quote:

-AdarPress: The Road of Afrin – Azaz is open again
-Heavy tensions between Jihadists and (Non-SDF) FSA Rebels in North Aleppo
-al-Nusra Front imposes conscription in North Aleppo, threatens to kill anyone who tries to flee
-Deal reportedly agreed for passage of Jaysh al-Thuwar from Afrin to east Aazaz to fight ISIS
-Some info on al-Nusra Front's presence in North Aleppo: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
-Besides al-Nusra Front there are multiple other groups present like: Northern Storm Brigade, Knights of Justice Brigade, 13th Brigade etc
-Also present: Representatives of Êfrin Self-Administration, PYD, PYDKS, PYKS and of the Syrian Democratic Forces.
-This is the first conference in months, if not in general, of this kind. We can expect more in the future and with more people.
-What's the use? The use is to look at common goals and common interest for the sake of the Region.
That fourth one is very interesting, because it might mean that the FSA and other rebel groups basically said "fine, you Jaysh al Thuwar fuckers have fun fighting ISIL in Azaz, works for us".

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Liberal_L33t posted:

Holy poo poo. That is a turn I did not expect. I'm halfway tempted to board a plane and volunteer myself, but I'd rather not give my mother a heart attack (and, honestly, don't want to get killed or put in a Turkish jail). At the very least I'm considering making some substantial (for me; three or four digits) financial contributions to the fight. That'll be particularly true if Trump takes the nomination (thereby making donations to :smith: Hillary :smith: less urgent).

What is the legality of that? Would I get hauled in by the cops or put on a no-fly list? I think people have already been raising money on their behalf state-side, but does this latest announcement change things in a big way?

"What would go wrong with me wiring 3 or 4 digits to a State listed terrorist organized?," asked the slow man.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I remember a pope (from a few hundred years ago, i think) once went around with a chisel and hammer doing impromptu castrations on various statues.

There is supposed to be barrels of marble penises somewhere in Vatican.

Not to mention John Ashcroft was not keen of being photographed in front of boobs, so the US Justice Department had to spend a few thousands to cover up Lady Justice.

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"

tekz posted:

Well it took long enough but this thread finally got a defender for the american/saudi/pakistani radicalization of afghanistan.

I want to take this opportunity to plug my friend's book on the Taliban:

http://www.amazon.com/Enemy-Created-Taliban-Al-Afghanistan-1970-2010/dp/1849041547

Alex has lived and worked in Kandahar for about a decade. He's compiled and translated a collection of Taliban poetry and interviewed/edited/translated the memoir of Abdul Salam Zaeef. I can't recommend his research enough.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

Liberal_L33t posted:

Holy poo poo. That is a turn I did not expect. I'm halfway tempted to board a plane and volunteer myself, but I'd rather not give my mother a heart attack (and, honestly, don't want to get killed or put in a Turkish jail). At the very least I'm considering making some substantial (for me; three or four digits) financial contributions to the fight. That'll be particularly true if Trump takes the nomination (thereby making donations to :smith: Hillary :smith: less urgent).

What is the legality of that? Would I get hauled in by the cops or put on a no-fly list? I think people have already been raising money on their behalf state-side, but does this latest announcement change things in a big way?

This has been beaten to death, but please don't monetarily support terrorist groups guys.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2016/01/peshmerga-isis-western-volunteers/433803/

quote:

“This one’s my house,” Christopher Smith grinned. The former Marine corporal gestured with his battered AK-47 toward a fire-gutted jungle-green villa. All the buildings were like that—vibrant non-sequiturs of blue, yellow, purple. “It’s like Super Mario World,” the 25-year-old remarked.

quote:

“Angels do not enter a place where there are images,” my translator informed us. Then he started rapping, “I got my angels on my shoulders and a quarter of that angel dust.”

The 30-year-old alternated continually between Quranic verse and Lil Wayne lyrics. “When I listen to Lil Wayne, I feel my faith decrease,” the pious Muslim lamented. “Sometimes I forsake him, but I always go back.”

quote:

Azad recalled fighting with the YPG alongside former members of the French Foreign Legion and the American military. There was also a man, the Texan said, who claimed to be Special Forces but was actually a child molester. There was a Canadian lingerie model, and a Muslim convert who liked to kiss dead Daesh on the lips.

“It's turned into a fan club,” Azad grumbled...

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
That Lil Wayne quote is hilarious.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

McDowell posted:

So who is responsible for 'anti-American' terrorism?

Depends. Are you talking about al-Qaeda? The Mujahideen (aka The Islamic Unity of Afghanistan Mujahideen) were made of seven political factions, who, with the exception of Hesbi Islami (headed by the notorious Gulbuddin Hekmatyar) have not made a policy of killing Americans, and who have successfully assimilated into the current Afghani government, down to being registered by the Ministry of Justice.

Hell, one of the most prominent parties, Jamiat-i-Islam, headed by Ahmed Shah Massoud, was the Taliban's primary antagonist in the civil war in the 90s. The Taliban is a creature of the ISI and only came to prominence years after the Russian exited the country, and al-Qaeda did not exist at the time, and Bin Laden, who was around at the time, did not figure prominently at all in the broader rebellion.

tekz posted:

I've been here in various iterations of this thread since Tahrir square. Who are you again?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Liberal_L33t posted:

Enjoy your shiny new status on the no fly list you blithering loving idiot.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Interview with the "Canadian lingerie model" here.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Huh!

Funny that the biggest threat to her health seems to have been, not the enemy, but the food.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Interesting interview. Strange that they only provide four hours of training, and she doesn't mention any additional training during the frequent down time. I'd suppose the ammunition shortage could be a reason, but the majority of my training in the Army did not include the use of ammunition.

Is her claim that Kurdish society is matriarchal accurate? I know the Kurds strive for gender equality, but a woman's perspective that it is matriarchal is intriguing to me. Perhaps it requires the context of gender bias in western society to fully understand her opinion? I don't see her comparing it to Middle Eastern societal norms, so I can only assume that the difference between Kurds and the west in the area of gender equality is more stark than I had thought.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Dilkington posted:

I want to take this opportunity to plug my friend's book on the Taliban:

http://www.amazon.com/Enemy-Created-Taliban-Al-Afghanistan-1970-2010/dp/1849041547

Alex has lived and worked in Kandahar for about a decade. He's compiled and translated a collection of Taliban poetry and interviewed/edited/translated the memoir of Abdul Salam Zaeef. I can't recommend his research enough.

That book looks interesting. I wonder what the author would think about recent efforts to negotiate a compromise with elements of the Taliban?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Bait and Swatch posted:

Interesting interview. Strange that they only provide four hours of training, and she doesn't mention any additional training during the frequent down time. I'd suppose the ammunition shortage could be a reason, but the majority of my training in the Army did not include the use of ammunition.

Is her claim that Kurdish society is matriarchal accurate? I know the Kurds strive for gender equality, but a woman's perspective that it is matriarchal is intriguing to me. Perhaps it requires the context of gender bias in western society to fully understand her opinion? I don't see her comparing it to Middle Eastern societal norms, so I can only assume that the difference between Kurds and the west in the area of gender equality is more stark than I had thought.

Isn't female genital mutilation very common amongst the kurds? No I don't know what group of kurds, I know I've heard this though.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Bait and Swatch posted:

Kurdish society is most definitely traditionally patriarchal, the tendency towards matriarchy in the YPG would probably be more due to the ideological influence of Ocalan who idealised matriarchy as the natural social order of Kurdish society (which he traces back to Sumer).

I have been curious about the degree of ideological training YPG recruits get. The PKK always heavily emphasised ideological training (sometimes at the expense of actual military training) and I have heard some confirmation the YPG continued the practice of ideological training in the field - I wouldn't be surprised if foreigners where largely omitted from it though

kustomkarkommando fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jan 29, 2016

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Count Roland posted:

Isn't female genital mutilation very common amongst the kurds? No I don't know what group of kurds, I know I've heard this though.

I think it's something like 60% of Kurdish women have had FGM performed on them.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Thump! posted:

I think it's something like 60% of Kurdish women have had FGM performed on them.

Now, if this is true, the society doesn't sound very matriarchal. Though I've heard that word used to describe them before.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

Its practiced in Iraqi kurdistan, and unusually its exclusively there. There are 3 other distinct kurdish groups guys, the iraqi part isn't the majority.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

I thought it was primarily Iraqi Kurdistan where this was more of an issue, and that even in Iraqi Kurdistan there was a public campaign to put a stop to it (that hasn't been that effective in more rural areas).

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Count Roland posted:

Now, if this is true, the society doesn't sound very matriarchal. Though I've heard that word used to describe them before.

While the other folks cover the interesting bits of this particular horrid practice (which is fortunately becoming less prevalent), it is worth noting that "families run by the oldest lady" and "awful specific practices" are not completely incompatible. Stone cold hardass grannies can be pretry darn big on decorum and appropriate behavior, and the poo poo that comes out of that.

Edit: otoh I actually quite like Ocalan. And dislike patriarchy - if we gotta have dreadful cultural practices re women, it being advised by the grandmas rather than grandpas is still maybe a step up.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jan 30, 2016

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Count Roland posted:

Typically it's the women who enforce FGM.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

TildeATH posted:

While I don't necessarily disagree, I'd caution against singling out women for blame. Women may generally do the cutting, but in many places where FGM is practiced men expect their brides to have had the procedure. And male Mullah's are the ones falsely preaching FGM as the duty of all pious Muslims. Such practices are embedded in the psyches of all members of a community, and effective responses need to involve everyone with a role.

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

Like others have said it's mostly Iraqi and the more conservative Turkish Kurdish tribes that practice FGM. While most Turkish Kurds are automatically assumed to favor leftist political groups like the HDP, in reality a significant portion are conservative and identify themselves as Turkish Muslims first, and Kurds second. A big part of the reason Erdogan's party was able to dominate the recent election was because his dickheaded behavior towards leftist Kurdish groups managed to drive a wedge in between the Occlan-aligned Kurds and the more conservative tribal Kurds who want nothing to do with leftism or gender equality.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

TildeATH posted:

Men enforce MGM in the west.

No one should be ritualistically mutilated without their consent. What would Murray Bookchin say?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
What does Kurdish "political education" consist of?

Do Kurdish militias have "political officers"?

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Traditionally in the PKK commanders would attend an academy for intensive ideological training and then lead ideological sessions among recruits in the field during the winter months when they hunkered down in the mountains - group self-criticism sessions where one of the preferred methods. It's not exactly clear how this has changed since Ocalan's arrest as he was an integral part of the ideological education process so it all gets a little bit vague after 1999 when the organization shifted to a more cell-based system but there is a brief mention in the YPG Rules of Procedure translated by HRW a while back to the importance of self-criticism and political education:

HRW posted:

. The System:
Military operations need a much disciplined system and a system which covers all military orders which is linked to freedom, will and building a democracy. The system strengthens the work and actions of a unit, it brings with it victory. Victory may only be achieved through struggle, commitment to laws and fundamental system.

The rules that must be obeyed and worked upon

· They should work based on the secret and hidden laws

· Commitment to intellectual tasks

· No hesitation in the eyes of the enemy

· Not allowing grounds to bypass the principles of struggle

· Protecting the principles of the supplies (weapons and ammunition) that are given and used if need arises.

· Care in a social manner to work and paying attention to personal health

· Initiative and resistance against all difficult situations

· Development of action plans in advance and time management

5. Critique and Self-Criticism :
Criticism and self-criticism are considered to be important for members to rid themselves of their personal faults and to commit to principles of freedom, intellect and democracy. Every member of the YPG is responsible for self-criticism and criticism in official meetings. He should not use destructive criticism but instead constructive criticism

As I say it's pretty vague, I know the YPG do run academies that include political education (there have been vague throw away references here and there in some pieces) but I haven't seen anyone probe it in detail probably cause it's a very specific area that's not that interesting to people.

Here's a very good paper detailing the old regime of political education within the PKK from about 1986 up until Ocalan's arrest that explains some of the underlining ideological concepts of personal transformation as a revolutionary act, a key part of Ocalan's thinking which was the foundation for his later shift in ideas.

edit: I've always thought there is a distinct possibility that some of the decidedly older more senior members of the YPG in top commander spots may have graduated from the PKK academy while it was still in Syria in the 90's

kustomkarkommando fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jan 30, 2016

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Shageletic posted:

Depends. Are you talking about al-Qaeda? The Mujahideen (aka The Islamic Unity of Afghanistan Mujahideen) were made of seven political factions, who, with the exception of Hesbi Islami (headed by the notorious Gulbuddin Hekmatyar) have not made a policy of killing Americans, and who have successfully assimilated into the current Afghani government, down to being registered by the Ministry of Justice.

Hell, one of the most prominent parties, Jamiat-i-Islam, headed by Ahmed Shah Massoud, was the Taliban's primary antagonist in the civil war in the 90s. The Taliban is a creature of the ISI and only came to prominence years after the Russian exited the country, and al-Qaeda did not exist at the time, and Bin Laden, who was around at the time, did not figure prominently at all in the broader rebellion.

I've been here in various iterations of this thread since Tahrir square. Who are you again?

What a lovely loving whitewash. The islamic radicalization of afghanistan was started by the USA and two of its closest allies providing training, weapons, ideological and logistical support. The actions they undertook in the Soviet-Afghan war provided a blueprint and a nice little support network for foreign fighter jihadists all over the world (where bin Laden got his start and began to build his network), and Pakistan continued that process in the 90s while continuing to happily receive arms and money from the USA. The Taliban was absolutely a creation of the ISI, and that refutes any of this how?

I thought it was accepted wisdom by now that this was a monster America helped create, insane that there's still apologists for it but not shocking that you'd find them in d&d.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
My main point was the stupidity of arming guerrillas and picking favorites with no longer term plan. The US made withdrawal as long and unpleasant as possible for the USSR, and once the war was over we took no responsibility for the failed state that resulted. This cancer has now spread to the Levant because we're still using Gipper policies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

kustomkarkommando posted:

Traditionally in the PKK commanders would attend an academy for intensive ideological training and then lead ideological sessions among recruits in the field during the winter months when they hunkered down in the mountains - group self-criticism sessions where one of the preferred methods. It's not exactly clear how this has changed since Ocalan's arrest as he was an integral part of the ideological education process so it all gets a little bit vague after 1999 when the organization shifted to a more cell-based system but there is a brief mention in the YPG Rules of Procedure translated by HRW a while back to the importance of self-criticism and political education:

As I say it's pretty vague, I know the YPG do run academies that include political education (there have been vague throw away references here and there in some pieces) but I haven't seen anyone probe it in detail probably cause it's a very specific area that's not that interesting to people.

Here's a very good paper detailing the old regime of political education within the PKK from about 1986 up until Ocalan's arrest that explains some of the underlining ideological concepts of personal transformation as a revolutionary act, a key part of Ocalan's thinking which was the foundation for his later shift in ideas.

edit: I've always thought there is a distinct possibility that some of the decidedly older more senior members of the YPG in top commander spots may have graduated from the PKK academy while it was still in Syria in the 90's

Thank you so very much for this effortpost. It is very informative and answers many of my questions.

I'm uncertain on my deeper question, though: How are Jews and the Jewish state of Israel regarded in Kurdish political education camps?

• Locked thread