Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene

Flayer posted:

Co-ed is fine as long as it's not competitive.

Gotta disagree, somebody always gets hurt cuz someone always gets "competitive" - usually against a girl. Fucken heroes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

As an Australian who plays football I can extrapolate from my level of talent that Australians are terrible at football.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
My two soccer playing daughter's are playing indoor for the first time ever and having a blast. It has improved my younger daughter's skills immensely. She's very fast and during outdoor she's pretty good at scoring on breakaways and getting garbage goals but wasn't confident at taking defenders on but she's doing it regularly now. In her double header last week she scored 6 goals in one game and 2 in the next. Older daughter is a defender but her coach posted her at mid last week and she did very well. Made some great passes and took a couple screamers at goal but the other team's keeper played out of her mind. The game actually ended 0-0 which I don't think I've ever seen in a indoor game.

I've been helping coach the younger girl's team. I've been asked to become a regular assistant coach for the next outdoor season after spending last season as a sort of practice only coach so I'm pretty stoked about that. I'd like to take on a team of my own but my military commitments don't give me the time to commit fully to that sadly.

mushi
Oct 13, 2003
I am addicted to video games.
I would have loved futsal/indoor as a kid. It's supposed to be great for development because you get the ball a ton and there's less room to boot the ball and chase it down as a strategy (which was my main strategy as a kid) so you have to get used to taking risks and beating people. At least that's what the local futsal places sell it as. I like it as an adult because you get a lot of touches and I don't have to run that far.

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013
I've never tried Futsal, would love to give it a go

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
i wish i played more soccer as a kid but i was always the short kid stuck in the back while the tall white athletic kids played in the front. i didn't really like it, parents never pushed me, etc.

i clearly remember my coach showing me a picture to just stand near the corners of the penalty area. this was probably 20 years ago

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

futsal owns and is way more fun than 11 a side, especially if you're poo poo

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Insanely Sikh posted:

I played in an indoor league that had small fields so they used a futsal ball on field turf. It was pretty interesting, it's a lot easier to dead the ball on your foot, but the extra bit of weight makes anything in the air a dicey proposition. I had fun, though.

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

But I think those are eyes...
(source)

Insanely Sikh posted:

Definitely give futsal a go if you get a chance, it's outrageously fun if you don't take it too seriously. Depending on how well you move the ball around, it can definitely involve a poo poo load of quick movements that will wear you out fast and get you match fit.

It can also be hard on your joints, so make sure you get a good pair of boots

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)
I've been asked to help run the first preseason session for my team - fairly casualish, I have no coaching badges etc. and the team plays local Sunday league.

What the gently caress do I do? I usually just turn up and do poo poo, do whatever drills the usual coaches set out, but they're not there.

helps goons help

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Spend most of the time in small sided games or in larger scrimmages. Load the early portion with normal warm up stuff (whatever form of stretching/plyos/running/etc...), then to small circles passing the ball with people trying to steal it in the middle, then to larger confined areas for passing (inside the box, 1 touch, two teams inside, one team lining the outside, rotate on X number of passes or on lost possession depending on how poo poo everyone is).

The point of drills or training exercises is to improve something missing from the game or hammer home a point regarding a glaring problem. Preseason isn't the time for that because you don't know what problems exist. Preseason is time to get in shape, shake off the rust, and get the team understanding how each other passes the ball, make runs, defend, and position themselves. Some people latch onto the concept that preseason is purely about fitness levels so everyone runs a shitload, but playing the game correctly is the best method of getting fit again, especially for a more casual team.

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)

Vinestalk posted:

Spend most of the time in small sided games or in larger scrimmages. Load the early portion with normal warm up stuff (whatever form of stretching/plyos/running/etc...), then to small circles passing the ball with people trying to steal it in the middle, then to larger confined areas for passing (inside the box, 1 touch, two teams inside, one team lining the outside, rotate on X number of passes or on lost possession depending on how poo poo everyone is).

The point of drills or training exercises is to improve something missing from the game or hammer home a point regarding a glaring problem. Preseason isn't the time for that because you don't know what problems exist. Preseason is time to get in shape, shake off the rust, and get the team understanding how each other passes the ball, make runs, defend, and position themselves. Some people latch onto the concept that preseason is purely about fitness levels so everyone runs a shitload, but playing the game correctly is the best method of getting fit again, especially for a more casual team.

Beauty, that sounds like the bee's tits. I think this is what we'll go for - I've had a chat with the other guys who have also put their hands up to coach, and they've suggested similar things/agree with what you've said.

Cheers :)

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)
In the fine tradition of giving goons closure, this advice was followed and worked well

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene

Tongues posted:

I've been asked to help run the first preseason session for my team - fairly casualish, I have no coaching badges etc. and the team plays local Sunday league.

What the gently caress do I do? I usually just turn up and do poo poo, do whatever drills the usual coaches set out, but they're not there.

helps goons help

In the culture that I grew up in, and to this day thrive in .... I believe that, NO, I know what you are tasked with. You must make sure that the cooler has lots of ice, and that there is many tasty flavours of beer in that very cooler.

This is not to be trifled with, I'm p sure it's a Commandment from the Gods.
Pele knows that I've followed this Rule Religiously.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Nearly scored from 3/4 field with my left foot last night. Hit the post. ffffff

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene

TheBigAristotle posted:

Nearly scored from 3/4 field with my left foot last night. Hit the post. ffffff

I'm not underst........... what?
Are you on a real field?
That's fuckin' amazing.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Back in preseason training for the new year; fullfield training twice a week is a killer. On the upside, we had a trial match last Wednesday night and I played pretty well in a left wingback spot and made a couple of crunching tackles so it's nice to know that the old body still works.

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)

iajanus posted:

Back in preseason training for the new year; fullfield training twice a week is a killer. On the upside, we had a trial match last Wednesday night and I played pretty well in a left wingback spot and made a couple of crunching tackles so it's nice to know that the old body still works.

Nice work. Since I've somehow bullshitted my way into a coaching role I take a heap of joy at watching everyone else run themselves ragged. I've been doing hill sprints on every off day just so I don't involuntarily poo poo myself if forced to run

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)

Nucken Futz posted:

In the culture that I grew up in, and to this day thrive in .... I believe that, NO, I know what you are tasked with. You must make sure that the cooler has lots of ice, and that there is many tasty flavours of beer in that very cooler.

This is not to be trifled with, I'm p sure it's a Commandment from the Gods.
Pele knows that I've followed this Rule Religiously.

I'm not sure where you're from, but rest assured the spirit of your culture thrives in my pub league, and in pub leagues every where

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Tongues posted:

Nice work. Since I've somehow bullshitted my way into a coaching role I take a heap of joy at watching everyone else run themselves ragged. I've been doing hill sprints on every off day just so I don't involuntarily poo poo myself if forced to run

There's a good part of me eyeing the Over-35s league getting closer on the horizon and dreaming of not having to play against the 18-21-year-olds that can sprint for what appears to be hours on end. On the flipside, far too many years of playing goalie and back let me have a little help in knowing ways to counteract being half their speed ...

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)

iajanus posted:

There's a good part of me eyeing the Over-35s league getting closer on the horizon and dreaming of not having to play against the 18-21-year-olds that can sprint for what appears to be hours on end. On the flipside, far too many years of playing goalie and back let me have a little help in knowing ways to counteract being half their speed ...

Our league just launched an over-35s division which most of the clubs here have embraced. Looks loving awesome since all the matches are Friday nights under lights, can't wait til I'm older and decrepit-er

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

All of the leagues in Sydney had 35+ leagues (and some 45+ ones). There are a few up here in Brisbane, too, but I've still got a few years to while away before I get to the promised land of people older than me. All our games up here are Friday night games which is awesome - most of the clubs have licenced bars too so it's awesome to have a few drinks watching the wife's games or after ours :getin:

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Nucken Futz posted:

I'm not underst........... what?
Are you on a real field?
That's fuckin' amazing.

Indoor. And by post I mean the red line around the rectangle in the wall

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
what cameras are good for recording 5 a side games under floodlights?

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013
I'd recommend one with a video function

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Insanely Sikh posted:

I'd recommend one with a video function

Slow down Steven Spielberg. Don't get too technical.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Just got this!

:siren: :siren: IT'S loving HAPPENING!!! :siren: :siren:

Physical Evaluation Board posted:

The Physical Evaluation Board has found Soulex physically unfit to continue military service for the following PEB referred conditions:

a. Right compartment syndrome status post fasciotomy (MEB Dx1) (V1-No; V3-No, V4-No)
b. Left compartment syndrome status post fasciotomy (MEB Dx2) (V1-No; V3-No; V4-No)

Soldier's component and current duty status of this date of memorandum: Regular Army/Active Duty.

Please provide disability rating percentage (with rationale) to this PEB Administration for all referred and claimed conditions.

:woop: :woop: :woop:

The Army recognizes that it hosed me up, and is kicking me out, and will now be essentially be giving me benefits for the rest of my life. It's nice closure, and I felt it deserved to be here since it started here.

Breath Ray posted:

what cameras are good for recording 5 a side games under floodlights?

It depends. Honestly, your best bet is to try to find a cheap-o DSLR with an OK lens. Honestly a nifty fifty would be your BEST bet because it will capture more of the playing field, it's a prime so no zooming, and the aperture is super low (1.8 is the norm) letting you get more light without having to use as much ISO. The problem you'll be facing is that artificial light is super hard to get correct sometimes capturing wise. Especially at night.

What camera do you have currently?

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Well, Soulex, it looks like the pendulum has finally swung back. I'm still cautious, given the military's history of taking care of veterans.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

TheBigAristotle posted:

Well, Soulex, it looks like the pendulum has finally swung back. I'm still cautious, given the military's history of taking care of veterans.

I am too, don't get me wrong. But at least the saga is over.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Soulex posted:

Just got this!

The Army recognizes that it hosed me up, and is kicking me out, and will now be essentially be giving me benefits for the rest of my life. It's nice closure, and I felt it deserved to be here since it started here.

It depends. Honestly, your best bet is to try to find a cheap-o DSLR with an OK lens. Honestly a nifty fifty would be your BEST bet because it will capture more of the playing field, it's a prime so no zooming, and the aperture is super low (1.8 is the norm) letting you get more light without having to use as much ISO. The problem you'll be facing is that artificial light is super hard to get correct sometimes capturing wise. Especially at night.

What camera do you have currently?

oh I dont have a camera so was just wondering. I suppose artificial light wont be necessary in a couple of months. just thought it would be fun to record our 5-a-side games with a cheap camera mounted high up on the chain link fence and wondered if anyones used a particular brand. I'm glad that you are getting the help you need from uncle sam.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Soulex posted:

Just got this!

As long as this means that they'll take care of you and your family I'm happy for you man.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Soulex posted:

Just got this!

If they give you anything less than 100% you should scream bloody murder. But congrats man.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Breath Ray posted:

oh I dont have a camera so was just wondering. I suppose artificial light wont be necessary in a couple of months. just thought it would be fun to record our 5-a-side games with a cheap camera mounted high up on the chain link fence and wondered if anyones used a particular brand. I'm glad that you are getting the help you need from uncle sam.

In that case a cheap one like a JVC HD or whatever for a hundred or so bucks should be just fine. Make sure to get a tripod, they can be like 20 for cheap ones. Since it's just gonna be sitting there, you want to make sure it's stable and cheap because it's not going to be doing a lot of weight carrying. I'd advise against a camera with video options because they by and large suck. Phones are also, believe it or not, a good bet too.

Shrapnig posted:

As long as this means that they'll take care of you and your family I'm happy for you man.

vulturesrow posted:

If they give you anything less than 100% you should scream bloody murder. But congrats man.

Thanks guys. It will be under 100% for sure. The Army has some super weird hosed up math to determine what is rated as disability, but 70% is typically the max due to that being the retirement payout essentially. Or that's what I've been told. I could be wrong. The rating that really matters is from the VA, because they are the ones that will be giving me a check for the rest of my life. Right now it looks like it'll be around 40-50% disability from the Army, which means Ill have healthcare for life for me and my family.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

Breath Ray posted:

Get a GoPro and check out their mounts/clamps.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

congrats soulex and your broken legs, im glad something finally happened

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Vinestalk posted:

Get a GoPro and check out their mounts/clamps.

Aren't they for putting on your head and running around madly? Someone did come to practice like that once so we took turns cleaning him out whenever he got near the ball. That he was black was just a bonus. I like the tripod idea, but perhaps some garden twine wound around the netting to keep a camera phone in place would be sufficient

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

A few teams I've played against put go pros on tripods inside the goals. Always felt a bit weird as a goalie having a camera right behind you.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
I think it would be tricky to get a panorama from the sidelines so I'll probably go with one at the end. I'm probably being a bit dim but what is the advantage of a static gopro over a camera phone?

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
This is goon-y and I'm sure the legality varies by area but a quadcopter always seemed like the perfect solution, if you have somebody willing to fly it or a fancy-ish one that will stay in a stable position on its own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Breath Ray posted:

I think it would be tricky to get a panorama from the sidelines so I'll probably go with one at the end. I'm probably being a bit dim but what is the advantage of a static gopro over a camera phone?

Probably not that much, but of it's going to be close to the field a gopro is probably a bit more sturdy and resilient.