Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
what's the opposite of 'sensing a great loss in the force' whenever a jedi knight dies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lysandus
Jun 21, 2010

cr0y posted:

Another 7 hours of sleep and another 300+ posts. What is the latest?

Still just camping.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

SocketWrench posted:

I think his foster kids are already gone from long before this. something about CPS

Some of the gatlings on A-10's do read "Peace through superior firepower" complete with a peace sign
Some of the military slang I've read and heard have used "hogged" as a meaning for a place/thing that had A-10's do a run on it.

Here I was thinking "hogged" or "going hogging" were euphemisms for picking up fat chicks.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Ninkobei posted:

what's the opposite of 'sensing a great loss in the force' whenever a jedi knight dies?

"whoever smelt it dealt it"

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Ninkobei posted:

And nothing of value was lost.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Ninkobei posted:

As strong as a fly's fart in a hurricane.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Ninkobei posted:

As if millions of voices cried out in relief and then suddenly went on with their day.

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.

Ninkobei posted:

"Hmmm. The force seems unusually calm today".

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Something that just occurred to me. In the excitement of seeing Ritzheimer get arrested, I ignored the situation that was going on at the time. He made that goodbye video with his two daughters, so he was actually inside his house with his whole family. Why did the feds choose that point to arrest him? I mean, wouldn't it be dangerous since he could have theoretically used them as hostages/human shields?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I thought this bit from an Atlantic article was interesting:

Those arrested so far have been charged with conspiracy to impede officers of the United States from discharging their official duties through the use of force, intimidation, or threats, a federal felony carrying up to six years in prison. As the L.A. Times explained, prosecutors are pursuing a conspiracy charge in part because the burden of proof is lower: They don’t need to prove that crimes occurred, necessarily, but that the militia intended to commit them. And the FBI was unwittingly helped by the occupiers’ own broadcasts, which conveyed some of their planning and coordination.

In an ironic historical twist, The Oregonian notes that the law with the conspiracy charge was originally passed to prosecute Confederate secessionists who took over federal property during the Civil War. It doesn’t appear that anyone was indicted under the law during the war, and it’s seldom used today. It turns out, however, that it’s as illegal to take up arms, seize federal property, and demanding the government relinquish it in 2016 as it was in 1861.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

Mr Interweb posted:

Something that just occurred to me. In the excitement of seeing Ritzheimer get arrested, I ignored the situation that was going on at the time. He made that goodbye video with his two daughters, so he was actually inside his house with his whole family. Why did the feds choose that point to arrest him? I mean, wouldn't it be dangerous since he could have theoretically used them as hostages/human shields?

It sounds like he turned himself in, they didn't go get him at his house.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

meristem posted:

Now a serious, if somewhat random, thought: remember that, according to Prester Jane's thesis, right-wingers value a lost fight as much, if not more, as a won one. (The whole "Molon Labe" thing, for example.) If I interpret this correctly, if those idiots draw out their stay in the refuge enough, it's possible that they will win a place in the mythology as 'honorable warriors who took on a machine larger than themselves' ('molon labe' again), right? I wonder if we'll get to observe a mythology of the Idahoan dolchstoss, or something.

I'm certain the last four would have emerged as folk heroes that heroically held the line against an overwhelming FBI army while bullets peppered their positions if this was still the 80's and livestreaming didn't exist. Thanks (once again) to the seditionists broadcasting everything they do though we've been treated to the sad scene yesterday morning where porklins and his very pregnant wife were slow dancing while surrounded by piles of trash. So all they look like is especially pathetic losers that decided to keep watching for FBI death squads by building a campfire while smoking weed and gettng drunk.

The drunk/stoned campfire conversation about the meaning of life that the seditionists broadcasted while supposedly in the middle of a life or death siege with the FBI is possibly my favorite moment out of all this.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Prester Jane posted:

I'm certain the last four would have emerged as folk heroes that heroically held the line against an overwhelming FBI army while bullets peppered their positions if this was still the 80'same and livestreaming didn't exist. Thanks (once again) to the seditionists broadcasting everything they do though we've been treated to the sad scene yesterday morning where porklins and his very pregnant wife were slow dancing while surrounded by piles of trash. So all they look like is especially pathetic losers that decided to keep watching for FBI death squads by building a campfire while smoking weed and gettng drunk.

The drunk/stoned conversation about the meaning of life that the seditionists broadcasted while supposedly in the middle of a life or death siege with the FBI is possibly my favorite moment out of all this.

I do think that my favorite part is that they want to make sure everything is recorded. Having a clear documentation of everything is not a bad idea in general, it just amuses me that it's part of their whole LARP, and somehow they'll magically start rolling 20's with it.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

prefect posted:

It turns out, however, that it’s as illegal to take up arms, seize federal property, and demanding the government relinquish it in 2016 as it was in 1861.

drat Big government always making useless laws to stop ordinary citizens just trying to go about their daily lives in peace, not harming anyone, doing the things they do, like drive a little fast on the freeway sometimes, smoke inside a bar, or attempt to violently over-through a democratic government.

Where will this government overreach end!

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Perfectly Safe posted:

You've touched the poop, but never mind. Unless I'm missing something, the order would be to "lie down on the ground with your hands away from your body".

Yeah true, if that's what happened then it's even worse for the guy. Shouldn't have even been up let alone walking and reaching into his coat.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Ninkobei posted:

"Many Bothans died to bring us this information"

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

dr_rat posted:

drat Big government always making useless laws to stop ordinary citizens just trying to go about their daily lives in peace, not harming anyone, doing the things they do, like drive a little fast on the freeway sometimes, smoke inside a bar, or attempt to violently over-through a democratic government.

Where will this government overreach end!

The constitution calls it a "republic," therefore I cannot recognize a "democracy" :smug:

This is an actual argument that I have heard

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Ninkobei posted:

"Leaving the world no poorer - Four men die." - The Dark Knight Returns

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

What a wasted opportunity for one of them to claim that their names are all Rusty Shackleford

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Mr Interweb posted:

I really think the human shield thing has been overstated. One blustery guy said it two years ago. On the reserve, as soon as they heard the FBI was coming, all the women and children left.

dr_rat posted:

over-through
how did you do this

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Iron Crowned posted:

The constitution calls it a "republic," therefore I cannot recognize a "democracy" :smug:

This is an actual argument that I have heard

Haha, well I guess they've never heard of the The Democratic Republic of the Congo! ...actually maybe not the best example those two can go together.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Branis posted:

It sounds like he turned himself in, they didn't go get him at his house.

Ah okay that makes more sense.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

theflyingorc posted:

I really think the human shield thing has been overstated. One blustery guy said it two years ago. On the reserve, as soon as they heard the FBI was coming, all the women and children left.

To the complaints of some, who felt less safe without the children to be between them and the police.

Seriously, if the kids weren't there to be shields, both in discouraging an attack and against actual bullets, then why where they there? There's no reason to drag a bunch of children out to the middle of nowhere for an armed rebellion against the government, or at least none that reflect well on the people involved.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Roland Jones posted:

To the complaints of some militia members, who felt less safe without the children to be between them and the police.

Seriously, if the kids weren't there to be shields, both in discouraging an attack and against actual bullets, then why where they there? There's no reason to drag a bunch of children out to the middle of nowhere for an armed rebellion against the government, or at least none that reflect well on the people involved.

They also wanted to project that theyre all salt-of-the-earth famil men, who like good wholesome activities like children singing.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

prefect posted:

I thought this bit from an Atlantic article was interesting:

Those arrested so far have been charged with conspiracy to impede officers of the United States from discharging their official duties through the use of force, intimidation, or threats, a federal felony carrying up to six years in prison. As the L.A. Times explained, prosecutors are pursuing a conspiracy charge in part because the burden of proof is lower: They don’t need to prove that crimes occurred, necessarily, but that the militia intended to commit them. And the FBI was unwittingly helped by the occupiers’ own broadcasts, which conveyed some of their planning and coordination.

In an ironic historical twist, The Oregonian notes that the law with the conspiracy charge was originally passed to prosecute Confederate secessionists who took over federal property during the Civil War. It doesn’t appear that anyone was indicted under the law during the war, and it’s seldom used today. It turns out, however, that it’s as illegal to take up arms, seize federal property, and demanding the government relinquish it in 2016 as it was in 1861.

I think this and the comments we see about the "traffic stop" kind of underscores the whole thought process of these people...they don't see that they did anything wrong or illegal. Taking over a government building while armed and making statements about "this will never return to government control again" and "we are prepared to die to keep it under our control" and "look at all our guns" is something they believe they should just be able to walk away from if things don't go their way and they decide to abandon the idea. And to be honest, I don't think anyone but the leaders really need(ed) to be slammed with huge prison sentences or anything, but that's a far cry from the sympathizers saying "but they didn't do anything wrong and the FBI planned an AMBUSH and maybe LIED TO THEM ABOUT GIVING FREE PASSAGE and a PEACEFUL MAN WAS KILLED" and all of that stuff.

And there's another thing, calling it a peaceful protest and claiming to be peaceful protesters, while also holding guns and claiming they'll go down fighting and acting like they think they're a military base. You can't be a peaceful protester when you're hanging onto the threat of violence if things don't go your way. If all these people had walked onto the refuge and barred gates/doors and did all this without weapons and threats? Sure, entirely different and I'd be much more upset about the shooting of LaVoy. When your entire protest is backed by the threat of violence and statements are made about killing feds, then you ultimately don't get to play that card.

And to review about LaVoy:

Has openly carried firearms since arriving in Oregon
Stated multiple times he'll die before being taken alive
Wrote a masturbatory fantasy novel involving specific scenes about shooting feds and hanging a female fed
Tried to escape arrest by speeding away from the traffic stop with others in his vehicle
Tried to escape a roadblock
Ran out of his car and made movements towards his waist/coat pocket while being told to surrender (refer to point 1)
Unfortunately got shot for it

I wish they could have taken him into custody and that he wasn't shot, but it's also not hard to see how that situation comes about when the militia created a hostile environment and made a big deal of showing how they were armed and ready to use their weapons. Again, the claim that they were "peaceful protesters" that were ambushed by the FBI and killed in cold blood doesn't work within the context of everything that was going on. That everyone else involved in the traffic stop was arrested without incident also goes to show LaVoy did something out of the ordinary and presented himself as a threat instead of surrendering.

Beyond that, man I gotta laugh at the FREEP guy who said "well he was reaching into his pocket where the gun was BUT he didn't actually have the gun in his hand and therefor wasn't an imminent threat and shouldn't have been shot". If this was a guy who was part of a protest that had no weapons and made no threats and was shown to be purely pacifist and was shot in the same circumstances, then yeahhhh you can say "well why did they shoot them, they were never violent before" (though I think everyone by this point realizes reaching for something while the cops have guns on you is an incredibly bad idea no matter how innocent or unarmed you are) but this was in the context of a guy openly carrying weapons and making threatening statements. And of course none of the people supporting him would have any complaints about an unarmed black man shot in similar circumstances.

Levitate fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jan 29, 2016

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Ninkobei posted:

"I felt a very small disturbance in the Force, as if millions of whiney voices cried out in terror, as they are always doing, and one of them was suddenly silenced. I think something inconsequential has happened."

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

dr_rat posted:

Haha, well I guess they've never heard of the The Democratic Republic of the Congo! ...actually maybe not the best example those two can go together.

I won't hear this slander against the Democratic People's Republic of Korea!

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.

Roland Jones posted:

To the complaints of some, who felt less safe without the children to be between them and the police.

Because making other arrangements for your kids long-term is difficult, and because you want your kids to be part of the great uprising (e: and presumably because you don't want the feds to be able to capture them and use them against you). I should think, anyway. You've got to remember that these people thought that they were going to liberate america. Parades through the streets, tickertape, etc. Why would you leave your kids at home for that?

These people are, at least in this instance, terrible, terrible parents. But there's never been an instance of their actually using or even appearing to use the kids as human shields - they've mostly been kept out of sight.

That idiot in the Fox interview was doing exactly what we've seen all of these chucklefucks do at various points - lots of big talk about their great ideas and their big plans and their strategies, but they're just big sad lumps of sofa meat without a reflective thought in their minds and practically zero self-awareness. Put them on the spot and they'll say all manner of crap.

Perfectly Safe fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jan 29, 2016

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.
quote!=edit

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Levitate posted:

I think this and the comments we see about the "traffic stop" kind of underscores the whole thought process of these people...they don't see that they did anything wrong or illegal. Taking over a government building while armed and making statements about "this will never return to government control again" and "we are prepared to die to keep it under our control" and "look at all our guns" is something they believe they should just be able to walk away from if things don't go their way and they decide to abandon the idea. And to be honest, I don't think anyone but the leaders really need(ed) to be slammed with huge prison sentences or anything, but that's a far cry from the sympathizers saying "but they didn't do anything wrong and the FBI planned an AMBUSH and maybe LIED TO THEM ABOUT GIVING FREE PASSAGE and a PEACEFUL MAN WAS KILLED" and all of that stuff.

Which is what exposes these people for what they really are: entitled, overgrown children throwing a tantrum that they don't get to do whatever they want to whoever they want because of mean old gubernmit man. They'll beat their chests and bully those around them when they think they're untouchable, but the second they lose that advantage, they collapse and start whining about how "unfair" it all is that they have to deal with any negative consequences of threatening lives for over a month. All they while they expect everyone else appreciate their greatness and indulge their fantasies.

I don't hate them as much as hardcore murderers or the like, but I have no sympathy for their infantile, self-centered whining.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

It really frustrates me to see some people saying things like "the way they were arrested was wrong, the government could have done something other than ambushing them."

I guess it's just the straight up delusion and disconnect they have between the actions of the group and the consequences. Like the people who said "they could have peacefully arrested the Bundy's, LaVoy, etc at any time but instead they waited and ambushed them on a remote road", but the stance of these people the entire time has been "we have guns and we'll defend ourselves and kill anyone who tries to take us out of here". Beyond that, pulling people over and arresting them is now some horrible unfair ambush? Maybe they are protesting the FBI having guns at the time but again, hello, armed militia making threatening statements.

I shouldn't get myself in a knot trying to make sense of why people think the way they do, ultimately I think it just comes down to people wanting to believe what they want to believe

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Thump! posted:

Here I was thinking "hogged" or "going hogging" were euphemisms for picking up fat chicks.

words can have multiple meanings depending on context :eng101:

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

I have no idea why that rear end in a top hat later walking it back after loads of criticism matters at all. It's not like something like that just slips out. Sure, he wasn't thinking; specifically, he wasn't thinking about the consequences of saying something like that or that people, you know, might object to your publicly stated plan to let your families get shot so you can give the government bad PR. I mean, seriously, dude was like 'oh yeah, gonna use women and children as bullet shields so they look bad', who gives a poo poo if the next day he went 'oh oops, I guess saying that out loud wasn't a good thing, JUST KIDDING GUYZ'? He got called on it and he's a loving coward, so of course he walked it back.

As for Malheur, come on. The first few days they were tripping all over themselves to talk about how they were going to die gloriously fighting the government. Children were reportedly on-scene within the second or third day or something like that. And they didn't immediately send the kids out when they knew the FBI were coming, that's the whole reason Pete freaked the gently caress out. He was begging Blaine to send them away and Blaine hung up on him. The time I've seen given for when they actually left was something like 2am, that's hours after poo poo went down. Furthermore, there are numerous live streams where people either call Blaine or mention they tried calling him explicitly to get the kids out and try to talk him down, and after a while he just straight up stopped taking calls. We don't know what caused the kids to actually get out, but there were a good few hours there when everyone was worried there was going to be a full on shoot out with kids in the way. It's weird how fast this narrative changes.

Also, the people who were talking about how it was a bummer the kids were gone were not, at least from what I saw (and I was following multiple streams at that point) the militants at the refuge. They were loving assholes on that crazy SovCit call in show--note, not the callers, one of the hosts. He started going on about how 'it feels like they're not as safe now' because they sent the kids away, and gosh I'm just asking questions but wouldn't it be better if the kids were still there? And then 'I know they (the FBI) don't care, but it would look bad' which is probably a slight paraphrase, but not much of one. These are horrible loving people, you really don't need to make excuses for them.

And speaking of horrible people:

https://twitter.com/LesZaitz/status/693078513427943424

I've noticed this too, and this worries me. I do really hope it's just the result of an FBI jammer. Those fuckers going all suicide pact would be a really ugly end to this whole thing (I know, I know, why should we care. Personally, for me, if no one else, today and tomorrow are a terrible anniversary, and I'd rather not be reminded of these idiots offing themselves at a time when I'm already dealing with remembering someone who did. Plus, it'll be martyr fodder again, and I don't want people dying in general.)

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

It's also possible he ran out of juice. During that whole live stream they were hauling UPSes back from the building to charge his phone, which aren't meant to be used for long term power like that.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Levitate posted:

They really do seem outraged that they were "ambushed" and stopped on their way somewhere, as if that's for common criminals and their arrest should have been more elegant. Lots of emphasis that it was "in the middle of nowhere" and without warning. They either wanted one of those cordial phone calls asking them to stop by the sheriff's department or to be approached on a public street and a "Mr. Bundy, I'm afraid I have to place you under arrest" with eyes filled with humility. It's just not fair.

They're upset because they didn't permit them a situation to die in a hail of gunfire killing law enforcement

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Might have balked at buying more data so people could tell him how much they want to see him die.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

I've seen them insisting that if the cops had tried to arrest them "peacefully" at any moment, they would have complied. Then, in the same breath, claiming that Robert "LaVoy" Finicum only drove away because he wanted to turn himself in to the REAL Sheriff, not the FBI who didn't have authority there.

Does anybody know the origin of "LaVoy"? I'm going to guess it's some Mormon bullshit.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

kartikeya posted:

He started going on about how 'it feels like they're not as safe now' because they sent the kids away, and gosh I'm just asking questions but wouldn't it be better if the kids were still there? And then 'I know they (the FBI) don't care, but it would look bad' which is probably a slight paraphrase, but not much of one. These are horrible loving people, you really don't need to make excuses for them.

Charitably I'd say "they're not as safe with the kids gone" would mean "that makes it more likely the FBI will come in guns blazing because they'd think twice about that with innocents in the way" (which is probably why kids were there in the first place). So it's still kind of using kids as a shield but not quite as bad as a literal meat shield.

Any statements about the second part though I don't think can be interpreted charitably

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Geostomp posted:

Which is what exposes these people for what they really are: entitled, overgrown children throwing a tantrum that they don't get to do whatever they want to whoever they want because of mean old gubernmit man. They'll beat their chests and bully those around them when they think they're untouchable, but the second they lose that advantage, they collapse and start whining about how "unfair" it all is that they have to deal with any negative consequences of threatening lives for over a month. All they while they expect everyone else appreciate their greatness and indulge their fantasies.

This.
"WE OWN THIS PLACE NOW, WE DONT RECOGNIZE YOUR AUTHORITAH HERE BOY! YOU COME IN HERE WE WILL SHOOT YOU UP REAL GOOD."
"NOW WE WILL GO TO ANOTHER PLACE AND YOU CANT DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT OR WE WILL SHOOT YOU UP."
"NOT FAIR, YOU DIDNT ALLOW US TO SHOOT YOU UP!"
"...can we go home now please sir."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Cops are pretty evil fuckers and tend to react negatively and violently when they feel they are being disrespected.

Not that there is any chance for real justice, but I do want a full investigation into the shooting. Sure, the victim was a nutter and had committed some fairly serious crimes but the punishment for those crimes isn't "summary execution".

• Locked thread