Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Shbobdb posted:

Cops are pretty evil fuckers and tend to react negatively and violently when they feel they are being disrespected.

Not that there is any chance for real justice, but I do want a full investigation into the shooting. Sure, the victim was a nutter and had committed some fairly serious crimes but the punishment for those crimes isn't "summary execution".

A full investigation should indeed happen and I hope it all happened the way they say it did. I worry that with sound we'd hear the Feds firing earlier than they stated, or shooting at the truck at the first stop (though looking at the video it doesn't really look like LaVoy was freaking out from being shot at when he pulled away but of course it's hard to tell)

On the other hand, it's not like they killed everyone involved and said "oops". Most of the people involved in the stop were arrested without incident. The one guy who was shot appears to have made threatening movements towards his gun and at that point it's not "summary execution". Again, that is if it went down the way they said it did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

murphyslaw posted:

I guess you guys just looooove death! Hilarious comedy death mind you, not the tragic die-in-agony death.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Shbobdb posted:

:toxx:

This will end when one (or more) people who have spent some time at the refuge will, for totally unknown reasons, go on a shooting spree. They will die, and afterwards the militants will explain that they had kicked those people out for being crazy and never really affiliated with them.

Everybody goes home with no punishments beyond some small misdemeanors for the most egregious offenders (if that), and it is as though nothing happened. Except for the families of the victims

:toxx:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

I think it's time for someone to head to one of the GBS banning threads. :patriot:

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

As a Millennial I posted:

I've seen them insisting that if the cops had tried to arrest them "peacefully" at any moment, they would have complied. Then, in the same breath, claiming that Robert "LaVoy" Finicum only drove away because he wanted to turn himself in to the REAL Sheriff, not the FBI who didn't have authority there.

Does anybody know the origin of "LaVoy"? I'm going to guess it's some Mormon bullshit.

No but the more I think about it the more I think of WH40K.

'Primarch LaVoy Finicum - of the Stibadium Carnum Legion - was last seen heading into the Eye of Government Terror.'

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Shbobdb posted:

Cops are pretty evil fuckers and tend to react negatively and violently when they feel they are being disrespected.

Not that there is any chance for real justice, but I do want a full investigation into the shooting. Sure, the victim was a nutter and had committed some fairly serious crimes but the punishment for those crimes isn't "summary execution".

Yeah this whole case is a great example of that, remember when these guys first showed brandished guns and threatened police and then ... were allowed free passage to the 7-11 for three weeks while the local sheriff pleaded with them to be reasonable. The purestrain authoritarian rage!

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

I mean I do personally wish they'd used those pepper gas bullets on him before resorting to the hard, pointy kind. But expecting cops to use less-than-lethal when a proudly armed militant rams their roadblock with his truck and then jumps out of his car is pure fantasy.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Do we know the name of this guy here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72MJLxSTiGM

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Honestly a little disappointed the cops didn't teabag the corpse

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man
Too soon?

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Does anybody know the origin of "LaVoy"? I'm going to guess it's some Mormon bullshit.

Culturally Mormon, in that names beginning with Le or La are more common in Mormon communities.

I can't recall a single historic character with that name, though.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
So I live in Kanab, Utah. I've been here 10 years but I'm slowly realizing Its one of the epicenters of this kind of mornonic thinking. (Kanab was even featured in that posted excerpt from finicum's book) Anyway, my geographic location gives me easy access to some hilariously awful facebook opinions.

Nevermind that the dude was always armed and already ran a roadblock and was selling masturbatory fantasies about murdering feds on amazon. The latest story is that he was shot in the side before he reached down to his wound and then shot in the face.

Just want you guys to be on top of the latest opinions of idiots.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

It's also possible he ran out of juice. During that whole live stream they were hauling UPSes back from the building to charge his phone, which aren't meant to be used for long term power like that.

They were actually running a generator to power the UPS at one point. It started beeping, and one of them started up the generator and it quit. Maybe they're out of fuel.

Shbobdb posted:

Sure, the victim was a nutter and had committed some fairly serious crimes but the punishment for those crimes isn't "summary execution".

Reaching for a weapon when the cops are telling you to freeze after you've already tried to run one of them over and after you've told literally anyone who would give you the time of day that you're planning to shoot as many cops as possible if they try to arrest you pretty much adds up to "summary execution."

ChlamydiaJones
Sep 27, 2002

My Estonian riding instructor told me; "Mine munni ahvi türa imeja", and I live by that every day!
Ramrod XTreme
Again from the closed Oregon III% page. Here's one way they're trying to spin the shooting;

quote:

Charles R Christensen Probably planned wound placement to waist area to make him reach down instinctively, audio would probably confirm that.
Like · Reply · 13 · 9 hrs

Some semi-articulate words that I find interesting;

quote:

HARNEY COUNTY MASSACRE. I have sitting here thinking about the events of my afternoon. This afternoon I met with Ammon Bundy briefly to discuss something I was helping him with for help in a forest health plan. We only talked for a couple minutes, told a couple jokes and laughed. On my way out I seen LaVoy, I waved he waved but we didn't talk this time. I regret not stopping now and visiting because he was a wonderful man. I headed to John Day to go to a meeting there where Ammon and some others were going to talk about our constitutional rights. I stopped in Burns and grabbed a hamburger and went about my journey. About 20 miles out of Burns I see a road to the right with about 10 to 12 pickups and vehicles there along with a couple snow mobiles. Down the road a mile or so a seen a white SUV. A Tahoe I think. This raised suspicion with me because it had antennas all over it. But I assumed ( which I really regret now ) that Ammon and his crew were ahead of me because I stopped in Burns. Looking back I now realize what was going on there. Right here in AMERICA they set up an ambush and a massacre!!! ..... Now you sit back and think about what I just said. It's the God's honest truth!!! Couldn't get back to Burns tonight because they have the hi-way shut down. Now why would they keep a MAJOR hi-way shut down for this long? Shouldn't have been much of an investigation, it's pretty fluckin clear what happened !!! Wonder if they will shoot me in my way back through tomorrow? Well I have news for you arrogant FBI, State Police and whoever else was there. You don't intimidate me one bit !!!!!!! I am sad for the loss of my friend and a good man. I will never be half the man LaVoy was. God bless you my friend, you unselfishly gave your life for a country you love and believe in. .... Share the heck out of this please !!! ~Jim Angell~
Like · Reply · 5 · 8 hrs

size1one
Jun 24, 2008

I don't want a nation just for me, I want a nation for everyone

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I would be amazed if the judge allows bail of any kind. It would be career suicide if he allowed bail and then any one of these nuts picked up a gun and went into a mall or school.

Best case scenario is that he goes back to the Bundy Ranch, or elsewhere, and is constantly surrounded by a heavily armed group just like Cliven. This time Ammon probably wouldn't be stupid enough to travel around where he could be ambushed. There'd be another siege, this one much longer and deadlier.

That doesn't change even if the remaining 4 gave up. He's already shown this is his tactic from the beginning.

There is zero chance he is offered bail.

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.

kazmeyer posted:

Reaching for a weapon when the cops are telling you to freeze after you've already tried to run one of them over and after you've told literally anyone who would give you the time of day that you're planning to shoot as many cops as possible if they try to arrest you pretty much adds up to "summary execution."

You are going to feel very silly when they release the audio and it turns out that the cops were shouting "do a little dance in the snow and keep reaching for your sidearm, motherfucker!".

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

ChlamydiaJones posted:

Again from the closed Oregon III% page. Here's one way they're trying to spin the shooting;

I like that one person getting justifiably shot and a bunch of others taken into custody counts as a MASSACRE.

I think what I hate the most about the current state of this country is that we're so mad that we have to press 2 for Spanish that we decided to change what English words mean just to spite everybody.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

ChlamydiaJones posted:

They should drop in a tablet showing the video of Lavoy being shot, then after 'YOU'RE NEXT CAMOFAG'.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

Despera posted:

Might have balked at buying more data so people could tell him how much they want to see him die.

I thought maybe they saw the Feds saying that they got a lot of their material for indictments because of the constant live-streaming and got spooked.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

quote:

Charles R Christensen Probably planned wound placement to waist area to make him reach down instinctively, audio would probably confirm that.
Like · Reply · 13 · 9 hrs

:psyduck: I knew there was going to be some country bumpkin fake forensics conspiracy bullshit analysis of the video, but I didn't expect "they deliberately shot him in the waist to get him to lower his hands"

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

The Crotch posted:

... Spalmed?

I'm glad his quick draw cowboy skills came in handy.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

It still doesn't explain why they wanted to kill LaVoy and literally no one else

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

InterFaced posted:

The latest story is that he was shot in the side before he reached down to his wound and then shot in the face.

One thing you notice in the unfortunately numerous dashcams/videos of people being shot by law enforcement is that they all immediately reach down to cover their wounds. Oh wait, no, they don't do that at all.

I guess it's because they're black. White people always reach right for their wounds where they happen to also have a loaded pistol. But that's just there for freedom.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Let's all pour out a Coors Light for this true patriot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzYwSJfO6Vk

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Darkman Fanpage posted:

I'm glad his quick draw cowboy skills came in handy.

No, see, this is just proof that he wasn't going for his gun, because if he wanted to he could have killed all those cops in a second.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

The few remaining at the building are effectively under siege now, are they not? No longer free to go get food and supplies, with the roads barricaded? Starvation will flush them out one way or another.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Levitate posted:

It still doesn't explain why they wanted to kill LaVoy and literally no one else

because he calls himself LaVoy and that just cannot stand

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

The Crotch posted:

... Spalmed?

Someone get William Shatner to read this out and overlay it over the video of Finnicum getting shot.

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.

Kro-Bar posted:

I thought maybe they saw the Feds saying that they got a lot of their material for indictments because of the constant live-streaming and got spooked.

You'd think, but it's just difficult at this point to ascribe that amount of sense to them. They might be trying to sneak away, their morale might have deteriorated so far that they literally don't want people to see them etc. But those thoughts require that they demonstrate an amount of self-awareness and basic gumption that's not been in evidence with those particular people so far.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

A bullet wound is an immediately traumatic bodily injury. The body doesn't respond to those type of injuries with pain. It responds with shock. Pain does you no good in that situation. Therefore there isn't a reflex action that causes you to reach immediately for your wound.

The pain comes later, if you survive.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Zwabu posted:

The few remaining at the building are effectively under siege now, are they not? No longer free to go get food and supplies, with the roads barricaded? Starvation will flush them out one way or another.

They're gonna kill and eat David Fry. For the good of the cause, of course.

the floor is baklava
May 4, 2003

SHAME

ChlamydiaJones posted:

One white motherfucker commits retardicide by cop and it's a loving massacre. gently caress you.

I guess if three of them choke on their jerky within a five mile radius it's genocide.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Darkman Fanpage posted:

They're gonna kill and eat David Fry. For the good of the cause, of course.

I hope they have fun picking his stringy beard out of their teeth.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Mr Interweb posted:

Something that just occurred to me. In the excitement of seeing Ritzheimer get arrested, I ignored the situation that was going on at the time. He made that goodbye video with his two daughters, so he was actually inside his house with his whole family. Why did the feds choose that point to arrest him? I mean, wouldn't it be dangerous since he could have theoretically used them as hostages/human shields?

Because it's much less likely he'd endanger his family alone than strangers in a group?

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jan 29, 2016

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Huh, even JJ MacNab thinks McConnell's story wasn't legit :pwn:
https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/693103448640872450

For those not aware, she's an expert on sovcits, III%ers and the like who's gotten a whole lot of attention thanks to this standoff. She's the one who pointed out the possible FBI agent "navy seal" Tuesday night.

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret

InterFaced posted:

So I live in Kanab, Utah. I've been here 10 years but I'm slowly realizing Its one of the epicenters of this kind of mornonic thinking. (Kanab was even featured in that posted excerpt from finicum's book) Anyway, my geographic location gives me easy access to some hilariously awful facebook opinions.

Nevermind that the dude was always armed and already ran a roadblock and was selling masturbatory fantasies about murdering feds on amazon. The latest story is that he was shot in the side before he reached down to his wound and then shot in the face.

Just want you guys to be on top of the latest opinions of idiots.

Yeah I live in Utah County and in the same town as LaVoy's daughter. Her post on our town's Facebook keep being removed like they are going out of style.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Aren't the only things that McConnell really said that LaVoy drove off from the initial traffic stop (which turned out to be true) and everything else he said was "I heard from someone in the car" and amounted to "LaVoy and Payne argued before Payne got out of the car" and "LaVoy charged at the officers" which is kind of vaguely true if you view it from the perspective of someone watching him jump and run out of the car (as he did initially)?

Basically, McConnell's story doesn't really need to be confirmed as true as he didn't really say a whole lot and the one thing he said he saw with his own eyes ended up being true and he said it before a description of the stop was released and while everyone else was trying to say that LaVoy was executed on his knees

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Not embedding, for those who don't want to watch a guy die one more time, but here's a zoomed, stabilized clip of the moment he went down. Much easier to see that he was reaching into his jacket - but, of course, the next comeback is "he was going to throw his gun away." If we had audio, we'd surely hear him saying this to the cops.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

happyhippy posted:

The video shows Lavoy in a quantum state of both reaching for his gun and being shot without warning.

The Hicks Boson, if you will

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Not embedding, for those who don't want to watch a guy die one more time, but here's a zoomed, stabilized clip of the moment he went down. Much easier to see that he was reaching into his jacket - but, of course, the next comeback is "he was going to throw his gun away." If we had audio, we'd surely hear him saying this to the cops.

"He was going to throw the gun away, after making sure it was empty of bullets (by shooting the cops)."

• Locked thread